PDA

View Full Version : Sikanni River

canishunter22-250
04-13-2012, 04:58 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows of a way to access the Sikanni River upstream of the falls. I'd like to put a canoe in the river and see how far upstream I could get for a weekend trip this summer.
I see on the sat imagery that there are a few lease roads and cut lines that go near the river in places, but don't know the condition of them.

Thanks in advance for any information provided.

BCRiverBoater
04-13-2012, 06:30 PM
Sounds very interesting. I am very curious on where this one goes.

bridger
04-13-2012, 08:42 PM
There is an access point at mile 156 haven't been there for a while but you might want to check it out.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
04-13-2012, 10:01 PM
There is an access point at mile 156 haven't been there for a while but you might want to check it out.

brushed inn and the last bridge is out before the corals last time i was there...

canishunter22-250
04-13-2012, 10:03 PM
That's the road I was looking at on the sat image. Might be a good idea to take the quad with me for an investigation trip.

Thanks Bridger

canishunter22-250
04-13-2012, 10:04 PM
brushed inn and the last bridge is out before the corals last time i was there...

How far is the corral down that road?

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
04-13-2012, 10:25 PM
How far is the corral down that road?

3-4 km you can drive right to the corals last time i was there , but the road was getting pretty bad after all the rain last year

bridger
04-14-2012, 05:31 AM
Didn't know the bridge is out at the corrals but there may be another option instead of turning to the corrals o straight ahead on the main road. There is a gas well right next tothe river you may be able to carry your canoe to the river not to far but again I haven't been there for awhile.

Boner
04-14-2012, 06:54 AM
I was up there all winter, from early November to mid March. Never made it up to the falls though. The South Sikanni road and the Grassy road were both open and well taken care of...Lots of industrial traffic at least until I came back south.

Ozzy
04-18-2012, 08:57 AM
If you put in on the 156 past the corals the falls are only 2 km down, would be a short trip and a little risky. Go on the 171 rd and head up there but you can't get a vehicle past km 19 due to a gate but many access points to put a canoe in on the sikanni or even at the outfitters lodge (Sikanni cheif outfitters) check out there website.

bridger
04-18-2012, 01:40 PM
to get to the outfitters lodge you would have to haul or canoe behind a quad for about 15 miles. only easy access from the 171 side i know about is a couple miles above the gate where the original trail comes across from 156 and the road going into marion lake a few miles from the outfitters lodge, but again you need to haul your canoe behind your quad.

KB90
04-18-2012, 01:50 PM
I think the plan would be to go up river after the falls as far as he could.

canishunter22-250
04-18-2012, 02:58 PM
Maybe my best bet would be to go in as far as I could with the canoe in tow behind the quad, and then ditch the quad at the crossing that goes towards Marion Lake. Not too much sense struggling up the river in the canoe if there's a perfectly good quad trail parelleling right beside me. I'll have to see if I can rig up a trailer so it'll hold my canoe.

bridger
04-18-2012, 07:30 PM
Probably the easiest solution. Keep in mind that you have to get the trailer through the quad gate! You can lift the canoe over the gate, the trailer will be a little tricky.

frase
04-18-2012, 08:22 PM
Just finished building a canoe rack for my ATV which was simple and inexpensive. Works great and thought it may be an option. Don't know how to post pics but pm me if you require details.

canishunter22-250
04-18-2012, 08:56 PM
My canoe is 20 feet long and 200 lbs so I definately won't be able to carry it without a trailer, plus I need to take a 20 horse outboard and gear.
Thanks for the heads up about the quad-width gate Bridger, I hadn't even thought about that one. I'll have to think up a system for getting the trailer through. Maybe winch it up onto it's edge with a come-along and skid it through.

bridger
04-18-2012, 09:54 PM
Do you know anyone that has done that trip? Depending on the water level you could run into problems with a motor. The sikanni while a really pretty river gets really skinny in the fall. Personally I have no canoe experience but do have a jet boat so do know about running skinny water. Have crossed it horseback lots of times in the fall with no problems. Another heads up is the outfitter doesn't boat it.

Buck
04-18-2012, 11:01 PM
Yea last i saw the Sikanni near the outfitters place it did not look doable in a boat with a motor.

KB90
04-18-2012, 11:14 PM
How late in the year?

canishunter22-250
04-19-2012, 08:19 AM
I was thinking of doing it in June or July, so I think there will be enough water at that time. I saw a video on youtube of the river at the outfitters place and it looked like enough water for me to get up. I can put a motor life on, then I only need a foot of water to make it up. I can alway pull the canoe up through any shallow areas. It's not the end of the world if it doesn't end up working out perfectly, we'll still have a good time giving it a try.

Buck
04-19-2012, 08:42 AM
How late in the year?

Late Sept when i was there.

burger
04-19-2012, 08:47 AM
The lowest I have seen the river at the outfitters is around 18inches when we crossed with the horses. This was the second week of June.

Living in the Peace
04-19-2012, 09:31 AM
Check out Atlas Map Of Canada 1:20000 scale.There is a series of falls /rapids just downstream of the Marion crossing.Walked from the Quad trail downstream (not far) Had to stay high so Iam not sure if it is boatable or if you can line the canoe thru.One looked like a drop of 15 feet. not sure if another channel around it.

David Heitsman
04-19-2012, 09:39 AM
You're going to paddle 'up' the Sikanni? Good on ya man. I've ridden quite a bit of it over the years and it's fairly fast moving even in September / October.

canishunter22-250
04-19-2012, 09:48 AM
I was looking on an air photo and did notice that there were some rough-looking sections between the Marion trail crossing and the confluence with the creek coming out of Marion Lake, but that'll be downstream from where I want to be so it shouldn't be a problem. It looks like upstream from there, it would be relatively smooth sailing. I'm not so naive to think that it'll be easy going all the way in there, but I'm not afraid of working hard.

canishunter22-250
04-19-2012, 09:49 AM
You're going to paddle 'up' the Sikanni? Good on ya man. I've ridden quite a bit of it over the years and it's fairly fast moving even in September / October.

Not paddle, frieghter canoe with 20 horse outboard

bridger
04-19-2012, 02:21 PM
late june and july are high water times in this part of the world so that would be the best time. road parallels the river most of the way so if you get in trouble it is not a long walk to the road. good luck.

David Heitsman
04-19-2012, 07:35 PM
Not paddle, frieghter canoe with 20 horse outboard

Hadn't seen the 20 hp outboard part.

Duidery
04-19-2012, 07:37 PM
If you're thinking of doing it in June or July, the outfitter may let you drive your vehicle right to his ranch. Since its not hunting season, he may be very accommodating.

The first time I went fishing in there we quadded as far we could and stashed our ATVs in the bush. He saw us looking for a place to cross the river and came up to us and offered for us to use his trolley to cross the river. He asked how we got so far from the gate and when we told him we quadded in, he said that next time we should leave the quads at his ranch so the bears wouldn't eat our seats. Judging from how friendly and accommodating he was with us, he may tell you where the key to the gate is hidden and let you drive right to his ranch to unload. He would also be the best resource with respect to water levels and boating options on the river. I have his email address if you need it. Its Sikanni River Outfitters, BTW.

elkdom
04-19-2012, 08:16 PM
if you wade in the Sikannee in Sept your gonna freeze your nutz off,,,,,

msg KB90 for more details ,,,,

canishunter22-250
04-19-2012, 09:44 PM
If you're thinking of doing it in June or July, the outfitter may let you drive your vehicle right to his ranch. Since its not hunting season, he may be very accommodating.

The first time I went fishing in there we quadded as far we could and stashed our ATVs in the bush. He saw us looking for a place to cross the river and came up to us and offered for us to use his trolley to cross the river. He asked how we got so far from the gate and when we told him we quadded in, he said that next time we should leave the quads at his ranch so the bears wouldn't eat our seats. Judging from how friendly and accommodating he was with us, he may tell you where the key to the gate is hidden and let you drive right to his ranch to unload. He would also be the best resource with respect to water levels and boating options on the river. I have his email address if you need it. Its Sikanni River Outfitters, BTW.

I don't really want to take any favours from the outfitters, because if the trip is a success and we decide to go back in hunting season and look for a moose, I'd feel like I was disrespecting the Hammets by going moose hunting in their territory after they had paved the road for me - under the impression that I was just on a camping trip. I'm sure they would be good about it, but I would just rather pay my own way so I don't owe any favours to anyone.

birchboy
04-21-2012, 03:16 PM
Make sure you get life insurance.We hunt that river every year and there is no way I would ever canoe in that river.It's white water and lots of big boulders everywhere,atleast where we are hunting.

elkdom
04-21-2012, 03:27 PM
there many more accessible and better productive rivers to "drift" for moose,,,,,,,,,,

the Sikannee is NOT what you are going to be prepared for,,,,,,,,

even if you think you are invincible !

kgriz
04-22-2012, 01:12 PM
I made a rack that sat low over-top of my head with a 14 ft aluminum and a 20 horse motor on as well ( separate behind seat) with 2X4s and 2x6s once....went through deacts and everything with help from a second guy. This was on a fairly small honda 300 4-trax 4x4 quad....if you are interested I could prob dig up an old photo....will obviously depend on corners involved as your swing would be extra wide....would work great on normal road