PDA

View Full Version : still carry reg. card for rifle ?

new trigger
04-13-2012, 12:48 PM
I'm pretty sure, but not certain, that now to carry my registered rifle or shotgun for hunting or target use if I still need to carry the registration card with me as well ?
I expect a C.O. wouldn't care to ask any longer and if did, the rifle wouldn't even need to have been registered.

sawmill
04-13-2012, 12:53 PM
There has been an amnesty for quite some time now so the answer is no.Even before the registry got kicked out you did not have to register rifles.New from the store were automatically registered,but with private sales you were fine.
But,like they say,If you got em`,smoke em`.What the hell,a lot of tax dollars went into it.

REMINGTON JIM
04-13-2012, 01:00 PM
There has been an amnesty for quite some time now so the answer is no.Even before the registry got kicked out you did not have to register rifles.New from the store were automatically registered,but with private sales you were fine.
But,like they say,If you got em`,smoke em`.What the hell,a lot of tax dollars went into it.

Pardon ? you did not have to register rifles from a private sale before they dropped the LGR - Hmm !! Really ! :confused:

dingdongdenny
04-13-2012, 01:12 PM
co 's didn't care about the registration(at least not the two times i got stopped)just your hunting license , didn't even ask for pal.the rcmp were the ones that wanted the registration.

Husky7mm
04-13-2012, 01:19 PM
Never did, never been ask by either. Usually have the rifle right beside me on the seat even on the highway. RCMP never for more than my pal and if it was loaded.

The Dude
04-13-2012, 01:25 PM
You don't need the cards, and no-one ever asked me for it when it was in place. It's over. You need a valid PAL or POL, and if hunting, a valid license.

pappy
04-13-2012, 01:26 PM
I never carried my paperwork, also never got asked by the cops or c.o. I only registered the guns in private sales if they were already on paper.

BiG Boar
04-13-2012, 01:39 PM
I got checked 5 times last year hunting and never once did I have my registration, and never once did I get asked for it. Whole thing was just a bunch of BS.

Gumsehwah
04-13-2012, 01:56 PM
I would think that this is a testament to how law abiding most gun owners are. the facct that they were not really checking up on compliance.

Glenny
04-13-2012, 02:01 PM
I think the only thing they're good for now is as a back up incase your guns get stolen and you will have a record of all the specs. So I will hold on to mine anywho.

russm86
04-13-2012, 02:21 PM
Been stopped by COs at least once a year for the last 7 or 8 hunting seasons if not twice a year, only things they checked were hunting licenses/tags and whether or not ur rifle was loaded if you were in a vehicle at the time. Never once carried my registration cards with me, my thought was the whole point of the registry was they would be able to look up ur name, PAL #, or serial # of rifle and see that it was legal and who it belonged to, but no one ever once asked about registration or even PAL/POL. I agree with Big Glenny though I will hold on to mine for the purpose of a back-up to my receipts and photos for insurance purposes and that's about all they are good for now a days.

91Jason91
04-13-2012, 02:28 PM
burn em!!!!!!!!!!!

91Jason91
04-13-2012, 02:29 PM
Been stopped by COs at least once a year for the last 7 or 8 hunting seasons if not twice a year, only things they checked were hunting licenses/tags and whether or not ur rifle was loaded if you were in a vehicle at the time. Never once carried my registration cards with me, my thought was the whole point of the registry was they would be able to look up ur name, PAL #, or serial # of rifle and see that it was legal and who it belonged to, but no one ever once asked about registration or even PAL/POL. I agree with Big Glenny though I will hold on to mine for the purpose of a back-up to my receipts and photos for insurance purposes and that's about all they are good for now a days.

I dont think COs give two shits about it..... I think its the cops that will ding you on it

russm86
04-13-2012, 07:07 PM
I dont think COs give two shits about it..... I think its the cops that will ding you on it

Not Anymore!!!!

budismyhorse
04-13-2012, 09:16 PM
Fwiw..... The local firearms officer in Cranbrook ( before he retired is a close family friend) ..... for the record the amnesty only ensured you didn't get criminal charges for possessing an unregistered firearm.... The RCMP could still take your rifle(s) at any time should you be in possession of one. The thing is most RCMP wouldn't have known the law or wanted the need to do anything like that.... However there were cases of RCMP taking hunting rifles. Most were involved in DUI's ect but it technically could have happened to anyone.

budismyhorse
04-13-2012, 09:31 PM
To the OP..... No

Marlin375
04-13-2012, 09:47 PM
Fwiw..... The local firearms officer in Cranbrook ( before he retired is a close family friend) ..... for the record the amnesty only ensured you didn't get criminal charges for possessing an unregistered firearm.... The RCMP could still take your rifle(s) at any time should you be in possession of one. The thing is most RCMP wouldn't have known the law or wanted the need to do anything like that.... However there were cases of RCMP taking hunting rifles. Most were involved in DUI's ect but it technically could have happened to anyone.

I read about this happening in Ontario more frequently. Your arms were confiscated, then returned later when you produced the registration. It prompted many to laminate cards and carry them with your guns. BC RCMP seemed to be too busy dealing with more important issues...that might actually end in prosecution.

warnniklz
04-13-2012, 10:30 PM
Just haven't had a chance to staple the cards to a backdrop to shoot. Funny Igot two regstration cards for a couple of firearms I bought the day it was offically scrapped. Still got 2 in my wallet for my ought six. Only been asked for registration once from a RCMP officer.

coach
04-13-2012, 10:35 PM
I purchased a gun last week from a local retailer. There is no more registry. There's no government record of that purchase. No more need for cards - other than for your own records and insurance purposes.

hunter1947
04-14-2012, 03:07 AM
I put my registration cards for my guns in my safe just for records ,in the past I would keep my registration cards with me for each gun I had at the time with me ,no need to do this anymore..

kishman
04-14-2012, 06:42 AM
burn em!!!!!!!!!!!

Ran mine through the shredder the other day:-D! Should have taken some pics! Or better yet a video!

silvicon
04-14-2012, 07:02 AM
never have, never will!

.330 Dakota
04-14-2012, 10:08 AM
Tore all mine up the day they announced it was scrapped,,,yyyyyyyyaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhooooo

scott h
04-14-2012, 10:40 AM
I will keep mine for historical sakes. When my mom passed away I found my paperwork from my late grandfather that had him registered for a Winchester model 12 and a 6.5 caliber rifle. As someone who will remain un-named turfed that paper work I can't be sure why his guns were registered. He was a recent immigrant at the time ( 1912 ??) so maybe that had something to do with it. Anyways I'll keep mine although they are totally worthless .

Mark_S
04-14-2012, 12:50 PM
I never carried my registration cards with me at any point. I was stopped by the CO's 2 or 3 times and went through 1 RCMP road block with my rifle sitting on the back seat in its soft case. I was not asked for a PAL or reg cards or anything other than my drivers licence and hunting licence.

In stark contrast to what some other Canadian web forums would have you believe , no SWAT teams were ever called and I got to keep all my teeth.

4 point
04-14-2012, 07:35 PM
Most all of the Provinces opted out of enforcing the long gun registry that is why no Co's asked to see the registrations and never would. The RCMP on the other hand did ask. It's all over now but for the crying for those that wanted to see it continue. Good rinse.

warnniklz
04-14-2012, 11:19 PM
Not ging to lie... shipping out guns seems weird without doing the onlin transfers. Weird in a good way.

Ovis17
04-14-2012, 11:38 PM
The answer is no.... You do not need to carry the old regi doc's with you. I would carry a laminated photocopy of your PAL with you during transport/hunting should you be asked by a CO or other law enforcement member. If you cannot provide proof of PAL your firearms can be seized by RCMP until valid PAL is produced....

Ltbullken
04-15-2012, 06:49 AM

BURN IT!! :grin:

MRP
04-15-2012, 08:01 AM
I got checked 5 times last year hunting and never once did I have my registration, and never once did I get asked for it. Whole thing was just a bunch of BS.

Never got checked that menny times in 40 years.