PDA

View Full Version : Predator calling bear

Slinky Pickle
04-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Does anyone have first hand knowledge on the legality of using a predator call on black bear in B.C.? If you go by the regs I can see how they would fall under baiting. I was hoping to use one this weekend but now I'm not too sure. :confused: :confused:

Bait - means anything, including meat, cereals, cultivated crops, restrained animal or any manufactured product or material, that may attract wildlife and includes plastic or other imitation foods, but does not include a decoy as described under these regulations.

sawmill
04-13-2012, 11:32 AM
It means plastic fruit,not a plastic predater call.Use a fawn in distress or a dying rabbit call.

Barracuda
04-13-2012, 11:37 AM
Bait

- means anything, including meat, cereals,cultivated crops, restrained animal or anymanufactured product or material, that mayattract wildlife and includes plastic or other imitation
foods, but does not include a decoy as

described under these regulations.

no electronic call for bears though on manual calls

ADDITIONAL HUNTING METHOD RESTRICTIONS

You should also know it’s unlawful:

to use recorded or electronic calls to huntwildlife except wolf, coyote, cougar, lynxor bobcat or any bird listed in Schedule C(see “What is Wildlife?” section).

Gateholio
04-13-2012, 11:57 AM
Legal to use manual calls, not legal to use electronic calls. Although E-callers should be allowed to hunt bears. It would be exciting and somewhat safer than hand/mouth calls.

BiG Boar
04-13-2012, 12:02 PM
Legal to use manual calls, not legal to use electronic calls. Although E-callers should be allowed to hunt bears. It would be exciting and somewhat safer than hand/mouth calls.

True eh? I didn't think about this angle.

The Dude
04-13-2012, 12:03 PM
Anyone know why we can bait anything in BC except Bears? Deer, Wolves, Coyote, Cougars, Sheep, Elk, it's all good. Bears are exempt.
Anyone know why?

Gateholio
04-13-2012, 12:09 PM
Anyone know why we can bait anything in BC except Bears? Deer, Wolves, Coyote, Cougars, Sheep, Elk, it's all good. Bears are exempt.
Anyone know why?

Used to be able to. Outfitters used to shoot horses and use them as bait for grizzlies.

bowhunterbruce
04-13-2012, 12:16 PM
i'm hoping that using either the sounds of moose,goat,or marmots will aid us in our quest in harvesting a grizz or 2 with our bows.
all of which can be mimicked without the use of any commercial calls.
late spring can't come fast enough.
i might have to head out early may for a shot at a blackie just to get warmed up with a few spot and stalks,then try calling them in for the last few yards.
bhb

Barracuda
04-13-2012, 12:27 PM
deer bleat ,cmr deer and a circe 3 in one caller caller works for bear

300wsmXboltKiller
04-13-2012, 12:30 PM
calf elk mew for grizz works great id be careful calling grizz :)

srupp
04-13-2012, 12:32 PM
have called black bears in with distressed rabbit mouth call....was very surprised that it was a rather large mature black that did respond....

That being said he had me " pegged" from 100 yards.....exactly...something to remember

srupp

BiG Boar
04-13-2012, 01:58 PM
Anyone know why?

Also can't bait waterfowl I believe. But you are allowed to eat your sandwiches recklessly. Bits of bread flying out of your mouth as you chomp away. Like some kind of machine!

madrona sh
04-13-2012, 02:05 PM
I have called in Black bear using fawn distress.
Keep your back end covered because some come in real quiet.
You have to call for a while and don't stop or they loose interest real fast.

This is just my experience others may have more.

KodiakHntr
04-13-2012, 03:00 PM
i might have to head out early may for a shot at a blackie just to get warmed up with a few spot and stalks,then try calling them in for the last few yards.
bhb

Careful doing that....You are better off calling them from 100 yards out or so minimum, as sometimes they come in fast from a dead stop as soon as you start calling. If the bear is feeding and you start calling and he simply stops moving his mouth as he's listening but doesn't react at all other than becoming super still, get ready as he's likely coming hard for you in a few seconds.

When you start squealing on the call inside of their comfort zone they can get a little squirrely as well.

Other thing that works well in slightly brushier areas if you know the bear is there, is to hang something white like a tshirt in a bush or whatnot a few feet off the ground, then start calling after you've backed off 20 yards. More often than not the bear will appear right there at the white object.

No idea why, but they key in pretty hard on white.

junkyard_g
04-13-2012, 04:01 PM
had bears react to calf moose in distress. think i seen a vid on you tube where a blackie was dragging a live moose calf and it was balling away. good baseline to base your call off of if u can find the vid.

.330 Dakota
04-13-2012, 04:25 PM
Used to be able to. Outfitters used to shoot horses and use them as bait for grizzlies.

Anything for a buck eh....and the outfitters bitch about us,,,wow

Deeboe
04-13-2012, 04:27 PM
Put a blade of grass between your thumbs and use that--- called in many a black bear by blowing on a blade of grass. Cheaper too!

.330 Dakota
04-13-2012, 04:37 PM
I am going to try the calling this spring north of Meziadin, I am taking a climbing tree stand, If I return alive with a griz, I will post pics, and tell you how it worked..lol

adamgarbett
04-14-2012, 07:50 AM
Put a blade of grass between your thumbs and use that--- called in many a black bear by blowing on a blade of grass. Cheaper too!I have have been told this works as well. Cant wait to try it for myself in a few weeks

cdnshooter13
04-14-2012, 08:31 AM
X2 on the blade of graas trick, this has worked for me numerous times in the past.