PDA

View Full Version : How to Judge Trophy G-Bears video

huntingfamily
04-12-2012, 06:52 PM
Just found this excellent video & quiz section from the Yukon government on how to judge trophy bears.
Check out this link & click on the video "Take a Closer Look".

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=multimedia.main

Enjoy.
hf

boxhitch
04-12-2012, 08:49 PM
While you are there take a look at 'The Hunter Within'

trigger
04-13-2012, 11:38 AM
what an awesome video. very informative. even after watching it all i was still getting some wrong on the quizez. this should be a must watch if you draw a tag. thanks for sharing.

srupp
04-13-2012, 11:46 AM
hmmm did have a look well done...elbows play a bigger role in grizzly hunting than most folks realize...a big bear with a big chest has no choice it anatomically pushes his elbows out wrists then go in..look also at his elbows upper mass above the elbows and below the elbows shows size..and great mass..heads like THE BEAR JOEL AND Proguide just harvested..the head of a big old bear will be as wide as his shoulders..short nose..like a baby lab..and room for a 10" dinner plate to comfortably lay upside down on the top of his head between his ears and STAY...look also for that muscle crease ONLY found on big old bears..age and mass create that..

cheers

Steven

bassplayer
04-13-2012, 12:09 PM
Thanx for posting HF. That will help me lots on my grizz hunt.

Boner
04-13-2012, 03:17 PM
Excellent post HF, it should be a sticky, it was an informative video that taught me a lot about grizzly sex ID. I like the idea of passing up younger bears because at least to me, they're harder to ID as being male or female. My new knowledge will surely come in handy for my spring grizz hunt.

I insist anyone with a grizz tag should take the hour to watch it.

REMINGTON JIM
04-13-2012, 03:33 PM
hmmm did have a look well done...elbows play a bigger role in grizzly hunting than most folks realize...a big bear with a big chest has no choice it anatomically pushes his elbows out wrists then go in..look also at his elbows upper mass above the elbows and below the elbows shows size..and great mass..heads like THE BEAR JOEL AND Proguide just harvested..the head of a big old bear will be as wide as his shoulders..short nose..like a baby lab..and room for a 10" dinner plate to comfortably lay upside down on the top of his head between his ears and STAY...look also for that muscle crease ONLY found on big old bears..age and mass create that..

cheers

Steven

Thats a hell of a GOOD description srupp ! :) Just don't get any better ! RJ

Boner
02-28-2013, 03:56 PM
Bump. Everyone with a Grizzly LEH draw please watch!

bowhunterbruce
02-28-2013, 08:35 PM
very informative for those that have little experience with these beautiful monarchs.