PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good moose area for late sept hunt

buck nash
04-12-2012, 06:29 PM
Trying to get some moose areas for a late sept hunt. My buddy is coming out from manitoba and I have to pick my 3 management unit before I can apply for a permit to accompany. I'm not looking for specific spots just general areas. Point me in the right direction to narrow the areas I will need to research. I have looked at the seasons and region 6 looks like it would fit our time window. He can't make the early aug dates so we're looking for a productive area where we can take "any bull" in late sept-early oct.

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Moose Guide
04-12-2012, 10:39 PM
Sorry, I don't know that area but you are going in the rut so practice your calling(your hands are the best call you can get) and have fun. With three mu's you should have plenty of moose habitat to choose from!

junkyard_g
04-12-2012, 10:44 PM
wait for this years regs to come out t be sure of seasons. They are supposed to come out earlier this year than in past years. Here's a link stating they'll be out early.

http://shotgunsbc.ca/2012/03/news-on-the-2012-13-bc-hunting-regulation-synopsis/

buck nash
04-13-2012, 08:50 AM
Thanks guys. I've been watch some you tube vids on calling and have been practicing in my jeep when I'm alone. I'm getting some funny looks from other drivers:lol::lol::lol:

My friend is a bow hunter and has taken moose in mb. He's bringing his bow but he may also end up using one of my rifles.

He's bringing a bit of experience to the table but I'm a moose virgin.

Keep those tips coming in guys its appreciated.:-D

04-13-2012, 10:11 AM
Why are you stuck on 3?

Gumsehwah
04-13-2012, 11:19 AM
I live in region 6 and also a "moose virgin." I hope to remedy that this year.

Moose in the Skeena/Nass region are becoming more scarce, and I don't know what the regulation is going to be this fall. HOWEVER, I'm ALWAYS seeing moose out at Cranberry Junction as well as out towards Hazelton, so I'd think that those would be a good bet.

buck nash
04-13-2012, 11:34 AM
Why are you stuck on 3?

Accompanny permit is only good for 3 mu's. You have to pick them when you submit your application. Then they get back to you and decide which of those three if any you can hunt.

04-13-2012, 11:41 AM
ohhh, Sorry i have no idea how all that works.

butcher
04-13-2012, 12:01 PM
you will most likely get the permit to hunt in all 3 of your selected M-U's. Book a plane and fly east of Dease to Eaglehead Lake. It'll cost you $500 each but you will get moose action.

buck nash
04-13-2012, 03:26 PM
you will most likely get the permit to hunt in all 3 of your selected M-U's. Book a plane and fly east of Dease to Eaglehead Lake. It'll cost you $500 each but you will get moose action.

Someone else was suggesting a fly in but I'd really have to look at my budget closely for that. Not sayin I can't do it but it does add some cost as well as logistics. I'm gonna look into this.

Thanks

blackbart
04-13-2012, 10:23 PM
You and your friend will not regret a fly in hunt. It will be a very good experience for your guest. Pick a lake within one hour or less of the base at Dease Lake and the cost shouldn't be unreasonable.

nap
04-14-2012, 12:17 AM
Hey Nash, what management region you putting down and what units. Up in 7b there was an early season for any moose in the last 2 weeks of august, was awhile back anyways, regs coming out soon. There is a general open season in 7a but only for a spiker. As for the calling, try and find an episode from David Suzuki's nature of things, an episode of a french girl calling moose in quebec, If you can find that documentry you will love it. It was not meant by any means for the hunter but it plays hell with anything that you will find on video. Mimic her and you will bring them in if they are there. This episode goes back at least 18 years. Try your best to find it you will not be sorry.

buck nash
04-14-2012, 12:56 AM
Hey Nash, what management region you putting down and what units. Up in 7b there was an early season for any moose in the last 2 weeks of august, was awhile back anyways, regs coming out soon. There is a general open season in 7a but only for a spiker. .

That's what I'm trying to figure out here.:wink:

I think I'm leaning towards region 6 due too the any bull g.o.s. dates working well with our time window.

nap
04-14-2012, 02:39 AM
If region 6 is what you think is best go for it!! There is lots of country to explore but ya may have to make a few trips into the area to do some scouting before the bud comes from mb. The moose are there ya just have find them.

hunter1947
04-14-2012, 02:44 AM
Region 6 is the place I would put in for..

Piperdown
04-14-2012, 07:48 AM
no moose in region 6 anymore :)

Visle
04-14-2012, 09:19 AM
This years regs have been out since 2010...it covers both 2010-2012. If there were any changes they will appear on the gov't website.

KB90
04-14-2012, 10:14 AM
This years regs have been out since 2010...it covers both 2010-2012. If there were any changes they will appear on the gov't website.

There are new regulations out this year,

"The 2012-2014 Hunting and Trapping Regulations Synopsis is scheduled to be online sometime in mid to late April"

buck nash
04-14-2012, 10:17 AM
The other nice thing about reg 6 is that it looks like there's opporunities to harvest almost any of the big game species. I think I'm gonna buy a tag for everything and go on safari.:-D

CraigOC
04-15-2012, 12:55 AM
My buddy grabbed a nice bull in 6-1 last year.