PDA

View Full Version : First black bear hunt for and austrian mountain boy any tips?

Cami
04-11-2012, 04:12 PM
Hi

I finally got my hunting license after a long time of ff around.
So now I m trying to plan my first trip for the year.
I live in vancouver so i was thinking of scouting out the upper squamish and the ashlu valley for the first week in may.
If anyone has a better idea for a first time hunter in canada much appreciated.
Oh i m not a total green horn I hunted a lot in austria but never in canada and its pretty scary when you look at a map and you can go anywhere you want. Its a hunters paradise here so lucky to be here.

thanks

The Dawg
04-11-2012, 04:14 PM
Thats a good area. Lots of big bears up there.

finngun
04-11-2012, 04:49 PM
wellcome hunters paradise...do you have anyone who can do some scauting with you...? it will be much safer too..not always good idea do it alone..happy hunting f-g:-D

elkdom
04-11-2012, 05:17 PM
will you be wearing those funny leather shorts when Bear hunting ??? :shock:

and a pheasant feather on your hat ??? :shock:

snowhunter
04-11-2012, 07:09 PM
The area in B.C. I have encountered most black bears, is around Valemount. People are friendly there, and I am certain that the locals will be more than helpful to tell you more about the bear there.

Compared to bear hunts closer to Vancouver, you will as a new hunter in B.C., have a much greater chance to incounter bear around Valemount, and hardly any competition from other hunters.

The drive from Vancouver to Valemount is about 6-7 hours, and worth it. The country around Valemount, compared to the the area around Vancouver, is much more open as well, making it easier to spot bears. Lots of reasonable accomodation as well.

Barracuda
04-11-2012, 07:23 PM
Valemont has a good number of bears but there other hunters there also and limited road access but if your willing to hike you will find some really really good bears including Grizzly .
Depending what unit you are in valemont area can be fairly open to very very dense bush like the coast it isnt arid like or open like Kamloops or anything.
If you have a boat you can hit the lake and watch the hillsides or at least cross if one side is washed out access a do a stalk.

scoutlt1
04-11-2012, 07:31 PM
wellcome hunters paradise...do you have anyone who can do some scauting with you...? it will be much safer too..not always good idea do it alone..happy hunting f-g:-D

X2.....my family is from Osterreich, and I've been there and Europe many times. We've got an amazing Country and Province here, but it's a different "world". Back there there's a house or farm in almost every valley. Not here. You can be in "the middle of nowhere" a short drive even from Vancouver.
I'm sure you will be fine, just make sure you are prepared.
There is lots of info on here, and there are a ton of really great members who you will give you all kinds of useful information.
Happy scouting, and happy hunting!!!
Willkommen!

Moose Guide
04-11-2012, 08:03 PM
Hi

I finally got my hunting license after a long time of ff around.
So now I m trying to plan my first trip for the year.
I live in vancouver so i was thinking of scouting out the upper squamish and the ashlu valley for the first week in may.
If anyone has a better idea for a first time hunter in canada much appreciated.
Oh i m not a total green horn I hunted a lot in austria but never in canada and its pretty scary when you look at a map and you can go anywhere you want. Its a hunters paradise here so lucky to be here.

thanks

I hope you get a great bear, but be careful, I think Elkdom wants a date:)

sparkes3
04-11-2012, 09:59 PM
there is also the area around hope ,coquihalla highway, boston bar all good areas.

finngun
04-11-2012, 10:17 PM
and lilloet is bearcountry too:-D

warnniklz
04-12-2012, 09:58 AM
Cami you finally signed up! I'll have to get you up to Williams Lake. Then me you and Tranq can go get one and I'll show you how it's done.

Did you ever get your Steyr? and carefull not to step in the bullshit

Phoneguy
04-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Make sure you can tell the difference between Grizzly and Black/Brown Bears. Couple of years ago a buddy took off after a Grizzly up the Ashlu before I could reel him in. Not many but there are some up there.

James

madrona sh
04-12-2012, 11:21 AM
The north shore has had over 30 bear complaints this spring so they are well up and at it

wildcatter
04-12-2012, 11:55 AM
Hi Cami,
I'm in Vancouver as well, if you are interested I can show you some places.