PDA

View Full Version : found dead bald eagle

canucks6
04-10-2012, 07:54 AM
i went for a hike with the wife yesterday and while cruising the beach for lost fishing lures i found a dead bald eagle.
it was washed up on shore and hadnt been there long. it is a muture bird but fairly young, it has a little gash on its chest and what appears to be a broken talon from another bird sticking out of its leg.
i called the CO and left a message of where i was and what i found before i picked it up.

i sure hope i m allowed to keep it and get it mounted.
the thing weighs close to twenty pounds and i packed it for over an hour up a goat trail back to the truck.

has anyone heard of such a thing and what was the outcome.

300wsmXboltKiller
04-10-2012, 07:56 AM
they will give it to natives is what i here nowadays for head dresses ect thinking they wont kill one if they got feathers already ya right

BimmerBob
04-10-2012, 08:01 AM
They have given permits for possession in the past which then allows you to take it to a taxidermist. I have one from a long time ago when I was in the Bella Coola Valley.

Bighorn hunter
04-10-2012, 08:03 AM
Sadly you packed it out for someone else:( It may get put into auction in PG where you would have the chance to buy it

KB90
04-10-2012, 08:04 AM
We've found them before.

No chance you'll get to keep it. Sucks!

steelheadSABO
04-10-2012, 08:08 AM
neighbors found a dead eagle and then some native guy took it and gave them some feathers and talons from it

bc traper
They say there may not be auctions any more The sales office in Pg has not had an auction in 2 years and say they are not getting anything sent to them from the conservation officers Wonder were all the stuff is going Maybe the dumpsters???
A eagle is usualy given to first nations

Steeleco
When I had the chance of possession of a Bald Eagle a few years back I requested to keep it. The guys at the Surrey F&W office told me I could put my name on a list but I'll not get to keep it. They are often taken to the OWL society in Delta for inspection then given to First Nations for ceremonial purposes.

Hope you got a few pictures, that's as close as your ever likely to get to a Bald Eagle for some time.

ryanb
04-10-2012, 08:41 AM
Might as well bury it in the sand then.

goatdancer
04-10-2012, 09:32 AM
neighbors found a dead eagle and then some native guy took it and gave them some feathers and talons from it

Even possesion of feathers is illegal unless you are native.

Drillbit
04-10-2012, 09:36 AM
Even possesion of feathers is illegal unless you are native.

Really? Eagle feathers can be found pretty easily. Where did you see that writen?

finngun
04-10-2012, 10:08 AM
some years back... some north vanc. person hmmm.. was doing a business with bold eagles... around 50 dead BE. netted about 2000$ e/a talons/ feathers/peaks everything was sold

can i shoot one---? i'm native finn :-D:mrgreen::-D

RiverOtter
04-10-2012, 10:14 AM
Personally, I'd dig a hole and burry the f'n thing, before I wasted my time packing one in, in "hopes" that I might have a "fair" shake at getting a permit to have it stuffed....

jml11
04-10-2012, 10:39 AM
Here's your answer (sorry data didn't transfer well):

It comes from the Permit Regulations of the Wildlife Act Section 6. The entire regualtion is available here: http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws_new/document/ID/freeside/253_2000

Restrictions on permits providing possessory or property rights

6 (1) A regional manager must not issue
(a) a permit under section 2(j) or (p) if the wildlife or parts that are the subject of the permit were taken, captured, possessed, transported,
hunted, trapped, imported or killed contrary to the Act or regulations,
(b) a permit under section 2(p) if the wildlife that is the subject of the permit was killed by accident, for a humane purpose or for the
protection of life or property, unless the regional manager is satisfied that special circumstances exist,
(c) a permit under section 2(p) transferring a right of property in
i. eagles,
ii. migratory insectivorous birds or migratory non-game birds both as defined in the Convention appended to the

Migratory Birds
Convention Act, 1994 (Canada),
iii. endangered species or threatened species, or
iv. antlers, or

Steelwheels
04-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Over the last 2 years I have seen 5 Eagle carcasses on or about the Roberts Bank causeway .....no one seems to bother with them... Not sure why they are dying.. My guess is they are being Zapped as they like to perch on the power poles...with the FN reserve right there it's strange that they are left to the Gull and Crows...

Whonnock Boy
04-10-2012, 10:51 AM
What eagle????.......... I don't see an eagle.

Steelwheels
04-10-2012, 11:01 AM
These aren't Eagle feathers !!! Your kidding ...right?

canucks6
04-10-2012, 11:39 AM
well just got off the phone from victoria. no way i can keep it. it will go to the natives to keep them from killin one with there ceremonial shotguns.
p*ss me off.
i m someone who would have really appreciated havin this. i could barely sleep last nite i was so xcited that i found this beautiful bird.

oh well what can u do. now i m gona have to hear it from the wife "I TOLD U TO LEAVE IT ALONE".

i m gona msg everyone i know to come over tonight and get pictures with it. atleast get somethin out of it.

huntcoop
04-10-2012, 12:52 PM
...it will go to the natives to keep them from killin one with there ceremonial shotguns....

Now that is funny. Is it a ceremonial 870?

Steelwheels
04-10-2012, 01:15 PM
The a500 would be ceremonial .. The 870 is classed as sacred..!!!

huntcoop
04-10-2012, 01:30 PM
...with the FN reserve right there it's strange that they are left to the Gull and Crows...

Would it be considered WORK to go get them?

Steelwheels
04-10-2012, 01:51 PM
They don't have the time now.. Plans in the works for turning some of the best farmland into warehouses, a couple of strip malls and storage area for shipping containers...

redwards92
04-10-2012, 03:32 PM
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/543558_10150627752646920_535171919_9527330_1380561 723_n.jpg

J_T
04-10-2012, 03:38 PM
well just got off the phone from victoria. no way i can keep it. it will go to the natives to keep them from killin one with there ceremonial shotguns.
p*ss me off.
i m someone who would have really appreciated havin this. i could barely sleep last nite i was so xcited that i found this beautiful bird.

oh well what can u do. now i m gona have to hear it from the wife "I TOLD U TO LEAVE IT ALONE".

i m gona msg everyone i know to come over tonight and get pictures with it. atleast get somethin out of it.It's a flippin scavenger bird. Bald Eagles, just like the America that holds it so dear as the image to uphold, scavengers. Go find a real raptor, an owl, an osprey and be proud of that. Next time rip a few feathers and enjoy your walk.