PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Private or IR Lands

alpinetreker
04-09-2012, 07:45 PM
Has anyone had any good experiences asking permission to hunt these lands ,and how should one approach this if you don't know who the owner is. Call Co? Don't want to knock on every Door.any advice?

91Jason91
04-09-2012, 07:53 PM
Bring beer and knock on the doors !

alpinetreker
04-09-2012, 08:05 PM
Thought of that,Probably should.

fuzzy
04-09-2012, 08:14 PM
As far as IR land, contact the band office

fuzzy

alpinetreker
04-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Have you done this before?

Big Lew
04-09-2012, 08:51 PM
When in my late teens and early 20's I obtained permission to hunt a vast area of many private properties along the north side of the Fraser River by first asking those that knew of me, my Dad, or Grandfather. From there I was able to use the first few as references, and it blossomed from there. I always asked politely and included what I was wanting to hunt, what I would be using, and exactly how I was going to go about it, including respect for everything on their property such as gates, livestock, cultivated fields, and buildings. I then would ask if they had any concerns or additional rules they would wish me to adhere to. The private property owner's most frequent concern was shooting toward buildings and livestock. I would explain that I normally hunted under these conditions, and wouldn't shoot at all unless it was safe to do so. I was also quite successful gaining hunting, fishing, and hiking privileges behind locked logging gates with the same 'up front and honest' approach. The potential for fire, interference with road traffic or active logging, or of my vehicle chewing up their roads was the most common concern. Explaining that I didn't smoke, used 4 wheel drive on loose graveled hills, monitored a scanner, and would stay completely away from active shows usually was successful if they were going to let anyone in at all. I was also successful gaining access to great fishing and waterfowl hunting on IR Lands by going directly to the Band Leader and explaining who I was, what I would like to do and how I was going conduct myself and respect their lands. I would always offer some of my catch or birds but normally they would politely decline. The only conditions were to move on if someone from the reserve wished to fish, and to keep the 'blinkers' on when on their land. (in other words, keep your mouth shut)

Jelvis
04-09-2012, 08:55 PM
If a member of an Indian Reserve is your friend, buddy, or works out at the gym with you and others a lot might take you as a friend along hunting. it shouldn't matter. Indian bands have each their own oversight on reserve property.
In the traditional hunting grounds is where you would go, not on the actual Reserve itself.
Band members only on reserve. On the traditional off reserve hunting grounds if you went with the member, if you were not a Status Indian then you would be required to have all valid tags for species hunted and a B.C. Hunting License.
Indian Reserves are Private Lands. Like a rancher is Private Property also.
The ranchers, stop and talk, they will give you a phone number to call when you plan to go hunting near the ranch.
Indian Reserves ain't going to let non members hunt on reserve so try ranchers or the public's land owners.
After gos closes, only band members from tribes of the same Nation are allowed to hunt the area but must be with a local band member in that traditional hunting grounds.
Get to know some one at work or play that has a big out back hunting place on their big ranch. Invite, BOOM!
Jel .. ( Private Eyes ) R watching you, watching you. -- Hall n Oats --

Big Lew
04-09-2012, 09:39 PM
My being allowed to hunt and fish on IR land was between 48 and 37 years ago which was a situation not likely relevant in today's environment. There were 2 within the fringes of the Fraser Valley, and 1 in the Cariboo, but I'll not name them on the open forum. Booze was never mentioned as a bribe, or as a condition for allowance.

Moose Guide
04-09-2012, 10:01 PM
Bring beer and knock on the doors !

If you bring beer the land owner may think you are a drunk with a gun! Show up sober and polite, a six pack, bottle of wine or hind quarter may be appropriat after a successful hunt but most land owners I have delt with just want to see the critter that came off their land.

Jelvis
04-09-2012, 10:10 PM
Ranchers love their cattle and when they hear shots from the nearby hills they want to see what there shooting at.
They will follow your tire tracks to where you are and ask to see what you shot, it better be a wild animal.
They check to see if you shot there beef cattle, some beef stay up or get lost in the snows and they will ask, did you see any cow tracks or see any cattle?
They have a fear of losing a cow to a rustler and it's real. They might look and see the animal in the back of your truck and then head off.
Jel .. Ranchers love their cattle and the land they own or lease .. Cowboy Up!

Phreddy
04-10-2012, 12:20 PM
I haven't, as yet, had any problems getting permission to hunt private land or on the local reserves (touch wood). Attitude has a lot to do with it.

Jelvis
04-11-2012, 12:52 PM
It's all relative, you got inns with relatives. Who yah know, not who you NO!
... All my relations ...
...Jelly Roll Nations ...
..Croation sensation...