PDA

View Full Version : Turkey contest team #5 2012

bcbrez
04-09-2012, 08:08 AM
THE TOMINATORS

Ok, TOMINATORS this is your page to post pictures, scores and anything else you want to talk about between your selves.Remeber to post a picture along with the score of your bird here and on the 2012 Spring Turkey Contest Scores thread.
Here is the link to the NWTF scoring calculator - http://www.nwtf.org/all_about_turkeys/turkey_score.html (http://www.nwtf.org/all_about_turkeys/turkey_score.html)

http://static.arstechnica.net/assets/2011/11/cyber-turkey-4ecd2bc-intro-thumb-640xauto-28011.jpg

Team score: 135.9

Team members;

BCBrez-------------48.65
boscheefish--------57.6875
igojuone
hunting_princess
SHAKER
coach
babboa
little moose
SweetShot---------29.5625

bcbrez
04-09-2012, 09:11 AM
I have a couple of ideas for team names.
How about;

Tominators
Thunder Chickens
Turkey Terrors

Anyone else have some ideas?

bcbrez
04-09-2012, 09:13 AM
Seems everyone on my team is from the Okanagan. Well at least you'll be able to help each other out.

Anyone coming out the west kootenay way?

SHAKER
04-09-2012, 09:30 AM
Not heading that far, I was having my coffee this morning and it came to me. Friendly contest like this are a GREAT THING! I'm in contact with almost every teammate from last years contest and it brings us hunters all a little more united. I'm good with whatever for names. Just make sure them beards are long and o'l toms a big fat ass before you give him the good stuff!

boscheefish
04-09-2012, 10:03 AM
I second tominator

coach
04-09-2012, 10:18 AM
I second tominator

I'm good with that name. Looking forward to finding a Tom this spring. Anyone on team five wanting a hunting partner? I've got a few calls, a bow, a 12 gauge, a good camera and a desire to get 'er done. I live in Kelowna - but am willing to travel. BCbrez - I know you enjoy a fair amount of success with these birds. I'd be willing to make a trek to the WK if that's what it's going to take.

SHAKER
04-09-2012, 10:33 AM
Name works for me.

bcbrez
04-09-2012, 10:39 AM
That's 4 for Tominators, anyone else?

bcbrez
04-09-2012, 10:44 AM
I'm good with that name. Looking forward to finding a Tom this spring. Anyone on team five wanting a hunting partner? I've got a few calls, a bow, a 12 gauge, a good camera and a desire to get 'er done. I live in Kelowna - but am willing to travel. BCbrez - I know you enjoy a fair amount of success with these birds. I'd be willing to make a trek to the WK if that's what it's going to take.

I'm sure we can work something out, maybe around the 28th 29th.

bcbrez
04-09-2012, 11:12 AM
For the guys who noticed. The teams got changed around this morning. It started out at 5 teams of nine but as soon as I posted the team threads more people wanted into the contest. So I put the new guys into team 6 and then added one guy randomly selected by the guys I work with from each of the other teams. Team #6 is still down one person so they will get anyone still to sign up.

Sorry for any confusion.
Nick.

coach
04-09-2012, 11:36 AM
For the guys who noticed. The teams got changed around this morning. It started out at 5 teams of nine but as soon as I posted the team threads more people wanted into the contest. So I put the new guys into team 6 and then added one guy randomly selected by the guys I work with from each of the other teams. Team #6 is still down one person so they will get anyone still to sign up.

Sorry for any confusion.
Nick.

Ha ha! That explains the PM's from one of the guys on Team 6. Apparently I was nearly involved in a deadline deal, but BCbrez wasn't going to let me go for a Cody Hodgson Canucks jersey and a bag of turkey feathers. Looking forward to meeting some of my teammates. The PM's are going back and forth already. This is what HBC is all about. Thanks for your hard work putting this together, Nick!

bcbrez
04-09-2012, 11:45 AM
Ha ha! That explains the PM's from one of the guys on Team 6. Apparently I was nearly involved in a deadline deal, but BCbrez wasn't going to let me go for a Cody Hodgson Canucks jersey and a bag of turkey feathers. Looking forward to meeting some of my teammates. The PM's are going back and forth already. This is what HBC is all about. Thanks for your hard work putting this together, Nick!

lol. You must be a good turkey hunter. I was already being accused if some fishy inside trades. Oh well I think it's all straightened out.

Brambles
04-09-2012, 11:49 AM
Yup, fishy alright....LOL you guys are gonna get your a$$ whooped anyways:mrgreen:

bcbrez
04-09-2012, 12:53 PM
OK our team name is THE TOMINATORS.

SHAKER
04-09-2012, 02:00 PM
Yup, fishy alright....LOL you guys are gonna get your a$$ whooped anyways:mrgreen:

lol..... you know you got stuck with a bunch of stick chuckers eh buddy! Now get out of our bench or this might turn into last weeks Philly\Pitsburg game LOL.:twisted:

Brambles
04-09-2012, 02:07 PM
there should be extra points for archery kills, I might even try if that was the case!!

SHAKER
04-09-2012, 02:10 PM
there should be extra points for archery kills, I might even try if that was the case!!

I got stuck with a bunch of them last year and guess what.... I was the only one who didn't score! WTF Guess I had to eat a little humble pie... cause it sure wasn't turkey pie!

bcbrez
04-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Yeah I'll be flinging some arrows this year.

boscheefish
04-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Might be jakeinator for me my tom seems to be m.i.a

little moose
04-09-2012, 07:06 PM
just checking in guys , im a rookie when it comes to turkeys. would like to hook up with someone on the team to hunt on a weekend with
willing to travel to the trail area and know a few spots to look for some birds. bow or shotgun your choice

SHAKER
04-09-2012, 07:46 PM
When you head'n out there Moose? I'm sure we can help ya out a little.

little moose
04-09-2012, 09:20 PM
any weekend i can , hopfully opening weekend,if i find a partner

bcbrez
04-09-2012, 09:29 PM
Well I'm busy opening day but could probably help out after that, at least point you in the right direction.

bobboa
04-10-2012, 11:10 PM
I will be hitting up the West Koot's this year. Specifically here in Grand Forks and surrounding area. I have to work opening morning but will be going out right after work to hopefully bag a tom! I am open to any name suggestions.

300H&H
04-10-2012, 11:30 PM
I have a couple of ideas for team names.
How about;

Tominators
Thunder Chickens
Turkey Terrors

Anyone else have some ideas?

Hey !!! bcbrez, no taking our name from last year ! Thunder Chickens is still mine ! :evil:

bcbrez
04-11-2012, 06:41 AM
Hey !!! bcbrez, no taking our name from last year ! Thunder Chickens is still mine ! :evil:

Yeah, yeah we already picked The Tominators.

bcbrez
04-11-2012, 07:22 AM
Here's some trail cam pics from the 9th. He stuck around and put on a show for 2 hours.

http://http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g456/bcbrez/PICT0016.jpg
http://http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g456/bcbrez/PICT0023.jpg
http://http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g456/bcbrez/PICT0122.jpg

Not the biggest tom ever but if he comes around on Sunday......

boscheefish
04-11-2012, 12:28 PM
Beautiful shots!

coach
04-11-2012, 12:41 PM
Very inspiring pictures!

SHAKER
04-11-2012, 03:36 PM
Nice referance photo's...and a heck of snood on that boy!

bcbrez
04-12-2012, 09:17 AM
Ok TOMINATORS we have a new member to the team. SweetShot has joined our ranks.

boscheefish
04-12-2012, 12:01 PM
Everybody have a game plan for sunday? If not Pm me and we can discuss ideas!!

300H&H
04-13-2012, 12:02 AM
Here's some trail cam pics from the 9th. He stuck around and put on a show for 2 hours.

http://http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g456/bcbrez/PICT0016.jpg
http://http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g456/bcbrez/PICT0023.jpg
http://http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g456/bcbrez/PICT0122.jpg

Not the biggest tom ever but if he comes around on Sunday......

Dang ! that first picture is one of the nicest i have ever seen.

bcbrez
04-13-2012, 06:35 AM
Well, thank you. :-D

300H&H
04-13-2012, 07:07 AM
Well, thank you. :-D

Well maybe your offer from last year is still good ?
Do you still think you can take me out or point me in a good direction ?

boscheefish
04-13-2012, 06:43 PM
Well maybe your offer from last year is still good ?
Do you still think you can take me out or point me in a good direction ?

I know u didnt make enough money or work enough in march . so i know u need somebody to split the gas with when u go so......... Hehe

bcbrez
04-15-2012, 10:09 AM
Well had some guys walk right through my set up and right under the roosting tree at first light this morning. When the birds came out of the tree 10 minutes later they flew about 100 yards and hit the ground running.....Not happy.:evil:

huntwriter
04-15-2012, 10:18 AM
Well had some guys walk right through my set up and right under the roosting tree at first light this morning. When the birds came out of the tree 10 minutes later they flew about 100 yards and hit the ground running.....Not happy.:evil:

Did you see the direction they where running? If so you could have tried to get ahead of them, set up and calling them. When turkeys spook they usually do not run/fly far and quickly return to their normal activity again.

bcbrez
04-15-2012, 10:49 AM
Did you see the direction they where running? If so you could have tried to get ahead of them, set up and calling them. When turkeys spook they usually do not run/fly far and quickly return to their normal activity again.oh yeah I was trying to cut them off all morning. Didn't get allot of clear shots with the bow and when I finally did there was a dozen whitetail that busted me and spooked the birds.

boscheefish
04-15-2012, 02:05 PM
Too bad brez! Youll get em next time!
As for me ive seen birds the last 4 outings so i set up in a likely spot............ And nothing, not even a sign of life where it once was,
Ive noticed alot of coyote in the area today they might have spoiled my luck ,
Got some wing feathers if anybody can beat that let me know...... Sure was nice to get out,
Hope everyone had a great start!

coach
04-15-2012, 02:29 PM
I was out all morning with a member of another team. Saw a couple turkey vultures, some eagles, grouse, 150 whitetails and a smattering of mulw deer. Unfortunately, no turkey to report - but it was fun getting out. I'll post a story later. Good luck team 5!

bcbrez
04-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Well they bested me tonight as well. The wife and I went out and had a real nice tom come in to about 20 meters but kept enough branches between us so she couldn't get a clear shot for an arrow. Back to work tomorrow but will try to get out after.

boscheefish
04-20-2012, 10:37 PM
Hey team, i was out tonight from 4 till dark, hEard some distant yelps but couldnt get close enOugh to see the gang, saw some new turkey tracks on the trail and fresh turk droppings so i know ther r there! Just have to wait my turn, saw a bear, whiteys, grouse and 2 coyotes, these coyotes r really getting in my way wherr i am hunting.....
Back at her sunday early , hope everyone is getting some time in,
Cheers

boscheefish
04-22-2012, 10:04 AM
Wow what an exciting morning, set up where i thought the roost was, sat down to sort my gear and a dozen gobbles fire off just within ear range, i scramble to close the distance and all went silent except for my heart in my throat, ten minutes go by with nothing they went crazy than tight lipped, an hr goes by and than a gobble, i respOnd with some light yelps and get a response, but hes headed the wrong direction so i lost the chance, my rearis sore from sitting , off to do some runnin n gunnin

bcbrez
04-22-2012, 08:15 PM
Sounds like your having a good time though. Keep it up, you'll get a chance. I was at our 2 day archery shoot, so no turkey hunting this weekend for me.

SHAKER
04-23-2012, 07:44 AM
Contrary to another post I didn't get my bird last week..... I was all over them every day, but just couldn't seal the deal. Had them Gobbling in the tree's and would shut up as soon as they hit the ground. I didn't see a feather untill the fourth day and I try'd a pretty long shot since it wasn't getting any better.... Swing and a miss. FYI I don't recommend shooting a shot gun prone on a steep down hill angle! Felt like I got drop kicked in the face. Heading back in a week or so.... I"m going to get a buzzard yet guys!

boscheefish
04-24-2012, 08:50 AM
Heading out before work tomorrow morn, its gonna be a long day for me..........

bcbrez
04-24-2012, 10:08 AM
well good luck

SHAKER
04-24-2012, 09:50 PM
Hopefully monday I'm out of here again... Got a Cougar and bear rug leaving this week and then see ya!

boscheefish
04-25-2012, 10:14 AM
Bird down this morn at 6:30! Great story and pics to come as im at work now,

coach
04-25-2012, 03:00 PM
Great job, Boscheefish! I've only managed to get out the one time. Feel free to PM me any words of advice or encouragement. I'd really like to do my part for the team this year.

SHAKER
04-25-2012, 04:34 PM
Right on! If some of the vetrans would get off there butts and knock a couple down we'll be in good shape! Oops I guess that mean me!

Brez
04-25-2012, 05:56 PM
Hey, no rush guys. Team #1 - Spur of the Moments - are givin' 'er!

boscheefish
04-25-2012, 08:30 PM
Photo bucket is not uploading my pics so ill sort it out asap
My score is

boscheefish
04-25-2012, 09:42 PM
Ok well heres the story, was in the bush at 345 this morn, and saw a black bear first thing, kinda scared me being alone and just a small head lamp, but i soon got over it as the elevation took over, 45 minute hike in and reached my likely area, i set up still very dark find a tree to lean on and sit back, the first of the songbirds begin and i can hear frogs in the distance, all is well and i reach for my calls to organize them and bam! Gobble gobble gobble, about 100-150 yards away i hear one bird, my first reaction was get up grab my gear and decoy and close the distance, so i did twice! Got as close as i dare and set up again now shaky with nervousness, i set up my camera and start rcording, he is still in the tree and gobbles about 30 times, 20 mins later i send a few light yelps his way to reassure im here and fake a fly down 10 mins later, shortly after i hear him fly out, i yelp and he gobbles twice,
a crow flys by cawing and he gobbles 5 times at the crow, i chuckled at that, he responds to my calling and i can her him circling around behindme, my gun is on the left decoy on the left and i hear him 10 feet behind me when he opened his tail and puffed up it sounded like Opening a garbage bag before u put it in the bin "woosh?" whatever it was loud , i can just see him outnof the corner of my sight hes strutting for about ten mins bt cant see my decoy, he starts walking away and starts strutting even further away now im getting worried my gun is still wrong direction and i cant move, finally hes too far and i loose sight hes still gobbling like crazy and i had to make a decision something i didnt want to do but did out of gut feelings, i hit the ground and gun in one hand call in other striker in mouth i set out belly crawling! First off goes the vest , then the glass call gets soaked from the dew , so i drop it too; just me and the gun now, and i finally catch up to him, im soaked! , i see his head look over my way and he sees me his tail drops amd he goes to run and i rise to one knee and fire a shot he drops in his place, not even a struggle! What a rush! Totally not your typical sit and hunt , i think this tops the list for me as the most exciting hunt to date! Oh by the way my memory ran out 20 mins into the video so no footage just pics,,, also my biggest bird to date
18 ponunds 9 ounces, 7/8 and 15/16 spurs and 10.5" beard,
A perfect morning!

bcbrez
04-25-2012, 09:49 PM
That sounds great, congrats. Can't wait to see the pics.

bcbrez
04-26-2012, 08:36 AM
Team #4 got another bird down and is well in the lead. Once boscheefish posts his picture that will put us in second place. I'll be going hard all Friday and whenever else I can get out on the weekend. Think I'll leave the bow at home and take the boom stick out.

boscheefish
04-26-2012, 09:22 AM
Pics will be in after work

SHAKER
04-26-2012, 01:45 PM
If you have problems I can post them up for ya!

boscheefish
04-26-2012, 03:50 PM
Ok well heres the story, was in the bush at 345 this morn, and saw a black bear first thing, kinda scared me being alone and just a small head lamp, but i soon got over it as the elevation took over, 45 minute hike in and reached my likely area, i set up still very dark find a tree to lean on and sit back, the first of the songbirds begin and i can hear frogs in the distance, all is well and i reach for my calls to organize them and bam! Gobble gobble gobble, about 100-150 yards away i hear one bird, my first reaction was get up grab my gear and decoy and close the distance, so i did twice! Got as close as i dare and set up again now shaky with nervousness, i set up my camera and start rcording, he is still in the tree and gobbles about 30 times, 20 mins later i send a few light yelps his way to reassure im here and fake a fly down 10 mins later, shortly after i hear him fly out, i yelp and he gobbles twice,
a crow flys by cawing and he gobbles 5 times at the crow, i chuckled at that, he responds to my calling and i can her him circling around behindme, my gun is on the left decoy on the left and i hear him 10 feet behind me when he opened his tail and puffed up it sounded like Opening a garbage bag before u put it in the bin "woosh?" whatever it was loud , i can just see him outnof the corner of my sight hes strutting for about ten mins bt cant see my decoy, he starts walking away and starts strutting even further away now im getting worried my gun is still wrong direction and i cant move, finally hes too far and i loose sight hes still gobbling like crazy and i had to make a decision something i didnt want to do but did out of gut feelings, i hit the ground and gun in one hand call in other striker in mouth i set out belly crawling! First off goes the vest , then the glass call gets soaked from the dew , so i drop it too; just me and the gun now, and i finally catch up to him, im soaked! , i see his head look over my way and he sees me his tail drops amd he goes to run and i rise to one knee and fire a shot he drops in his place, not even a struggle! What a rush! Totally not your typical sit and hunt , i think this tops the list for me as the most exciting hunt to date! Oh by the way my memory ran out 20 mins into the video so no footage just pics,,, also my biggest bird to date
18 ponunds 9 ounces, 7/8 and 15/16 spurs and 10.5" beard,
A perfect morning!
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp223/boscheefish/photo-15.jpg
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp223/boscheefish/photo-17.jpg

coach
04-26-2012, 04:07 PM
Wow! Awesome bird, Boscheefish! Congrats.

SHAKER
04-26-2012, 05:01 PM
Yeah buddy! Thats what we need to see!

bcbrez
04-27-2012, 02:58 PM
BIRD DOWN.......

Went out this morning with Brez and Good Old Outdoors, trying to get Good Old Outdoors his first bird. We had two going right away but we were unable to close the deal on them. So back to the truck to go try another spot. We located another couple toms and closed the distance. We were able to get the one to come to within 30 yards of Good Old Outdoors, but no shot. I tried to work my way around behind it but didn't get there in time and it had already crossed the road. So after about a 800 yard chess match of a stalk I was able to get a shot and knock him down.

17lbs 6.5oz, 11/16 left and 11/16 right spurs, 8.75" beard = 48.65
http://http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g456/bcbrez/DSCF1290.jpg

boscheefish
04-27-2012, 03:03 PM
Congrats! Beautiful looking bird! Keep em coming team!

SHAKER
04-27-2012, 08:39 PM
I'm leaving monday morning.... Hope my backs feel'n better. Tore something while getting my boat loaded after bass fishing today with the kid. Advil and Jack daniels should take care if. Good job team!

coach
04-27-2012, 09:21 PM
Great bird, BCBrez! Good luck next week, Shaker.

bcbrez
04-28-2012, 07:47 AM
Ok guys time to step it up. I heard team 4 dropped another good bird this morning that will put them back in 1st place.

doubled
04-28-2012, 08:33 AM
I am just looking for a bird at this point. Not picky.

bcbrez
04-28-2012, 08:36 AM
I am just looking for a bird at this point. Not picky.

Every bird counts. Have you seen or heard any yet?

How about you coach? Any luck out there?

We're counting on you to knock one down Shaker. Get it done.

As for the other guys on the team, whats going on out there? you've been pretty quiet.

SHAKER
04-28-2012, 08:59 AM
The age old hillbilly medical remedy worked wonders, I'll work some brews down with brambles today and will be in tip top shape to head out monday morning.

doubled
04-28-2012, 09:30 AM
Yeah, we had numeroous close calls the opening three days in your neck of the woods but a little tough finding them close to home now.

bcbrez
05-01-2012, 02:51 PM
What's going on out there team 5? Anyone going out soon?

boscheefish
05-01-2012, 07:50 PM
Im still out scouting and learning for next yr, like i said team pm me and i can help out

SHAKER
05-04-2012, 06:10 PM
Well I'm back...... Lets start at the beginning.
Day one: Arrive at my camp spot and the sky opens up so seek refuge in my camper for about 20 minutes. After a I make a quick snack the sun starts to poke out.... Cool I'm going to soak up some sun and have some lunch. Well I just plunk my chair down and I hear a gobble... then another, then another. Thought well lace'em up lunch will be here when I get back. Well long story short, had him within 50 but couldn't see'em... all of a sudden it went quiet. Couldn't get anything out of him.... Hmm.. Blew that one.

Day two: Rain and hail and rain and a little sun. Got soaked to the nuts and didn't hear a thing but did see a Jake. Knew our team needed a little more then that so let'em walk.

Day 3: Woke up to rain... Cleared off by 8 ish so out for the day... Nothing. Went back to camp made some lunch enjoyed the afternoon and around 5:30 reallized I was getting low on fire wood so better go get some more before the evening hunt. About 500 yards from camp I spot a perfect tree, unstraping my saw from the quad I hear a gobble! Well... lets get this bugger first, that tree will be there when I'm done. So sneek in a little, couple little clucks and here he comes! See'em at about 50 strut'n away so some real soft purrs and off he comes again like he's on a string. 40, 35, 30 close enough BOOM! and down he goes! Run up and he's stone dead couple pumps of the wings and It's all over! F'n eh got ya you bugger. Check him out close good thick beard, long spurs, perfect plumage, exactly the bird I was look'n for to do another mount for myself. Pack him out carefully back to camp, tie a green rope around his ankles and hang'em from the coat hook on the back of the camper... Well party time! crack a beverage have another whoop war cry and thought.... lets go get the tree and talk to the other camp down the way real quick! Well get my firewood and mosy back to camp and get a tarp ready to lay the bird on in the back seat of the truck. Walk around to get the bird and IT'S GONE! WTF..... so's my jacket! look inside the camper and my shotgun and everything else is still in place. WTF! Well turns out some dickless paracite stole my bird and jacket! I talk to the other camp whom I know all of them... one being a cop we checked my camp for any kind of evidence but nothing. The total piss off of my hunting career and felt just ill about it. I'll save you the details but some bad ribs I got in rock creek made the night worse and my drive home the next day no picknick either. Sorry to let you down guys but nothing you can do when some POS steals your bird right out of camp.

bcbrez
05-04-2012, 09:33 PM
Man that fu(king sucks. Some real shit heads out there.

SHAKER
05-04-2012, 09:54 PM
Hope the pricks chip a tooth on a #6 and die of lead poisoning too! F'n thiev'n swine.

boscheefish
05-05-2012, 06:15 AM
No words............very sorry to hear that, i can believe it, my buddy had some salmon stolen right out of his rope on the fraser last yr, its very unfortunate,

doubled
05-05-2012, 08:15 AM
Brutal Shaker, Karma will even the score. Those mofos will have the worst tasting tom they have ever eaten. WTF is wrong with people???

The Dude
05-05-2012, 08:47 AM
Bad ribs at the Prospector? That sucks!
Shame about the bird, too.

Caveman
05-05-2012, 09:27 AM
What a Piss off Shaker! Their turn will come. Unfortunately you'll likely never hear bout it.

SHAKER
05-05-2012, 06:05 PM
Hopefully in the obituaries in the news paper. Couple things I can't stand is thieves, drugy loosers and liars. F#*&%$

Don't worry Dude the ribs were the pre-packaged type I got at the petrocan. Not them dandies from the prospector!

My friend the cop thinks I should apply for a disabilty since we both believe I have turrets..... Sorry but anyone who's met me know's I have uncontrolable outburst of foul language and may not be fit for public interaction.

bcbrez
05-08-2012, 06:31 AM
Well anyone going out for the last weekend?

boscheefish
05-08-2012, 05:58 PM
Tom spotted on the wknd shout me a pm team 5 i can fill ya in

boscheefish
05-10-2012, 04:02 PM
Any trips planned for the last wknd team?

coach
05-10-2012, 05:19 PM
Still hoping to get another crack at them this weekend. I hate being the guy who lets the team down. I'll be calling you later this evening, boscheefish.

boscheefish
05-12-2012, 11:43 PM
We just need one bird guys, lets win this!

bcbrez
05-16-2012, 07:07 AM
Well that's it, good try team we came close.

boscheefish
05-16-2012, 08:59 AM
Really enjoyed chatting with u guys, looking forward to next season!