PDA

View Full Version : Bear meat has urine smell

dime
04-07-2012, 10:42 PM
Hey Guys,
My buddy and I were having a few beer and talking about spring bear, he said if you shoot one too early after they come out of hibernation they have a bad taste. He claims that they do not expel the uric acid during hibernation and if you shoot one too early they will taste like pee. Does anyone have any confirmation that this could be the case, or is my buddy feeding me a line after a few wobbly pops?
He said it should be at least mid May before the meat is best to eat, I have no clue so what do you think?

hunter1947
04-08-2012, 02:13 AM
You know your buddy has a good point there..

tracker
04-08-2012, 07:30 AM
Shot a bear in the fall once he had the same smell after cooking a roast in the oven.It smelled like someone pissed in the oven. I believe it is what they are eating at the time. We have had many spring bear that were alot better.

carnivore
04-08-2012, 08:02 AM
Shot a bear in the fall once he had the same smell after cooking a roast in the oven.It smelled like someone pissed in the oven. I believe it is what they are eating at the time. We have had many spring bear that were alot better.

Maybe he had been eating wild asparagus??

Apolonius
04-08-2012, 08:04 AM
Uric acid it is a medical term???It is like old people smell???.......just trying to be funny>>>HA..HA

Blacktail
04-08-2012, 08:22 AM
Good point on that one
Yes indeed they build up uric acid in their system when yjey hibernaye aas they reabsorb the urine so they dont mess up the den
Just before they go in the also pull massive amounts of hair and swallow it as well to block themselves up so they dont defecate in the den as well.

SHAKER
04-08-2012, 08:32 AM

lol... now thats funny!

elkdom
04-08-2012, 08:40 AM
you could try boiling the piss out of it, as those that eat "kidney" do ?............

Ddog
04-08-2012, 08:42 AM
The remarkable condition of these bears under these circumstances is not the long period of time they remain in the 'nest' but the fact that we obtained evi- dence of the lack of urination or defecation for at least a 4. 5 month period. At the end of all experiments, which were begun with absolutely clean cages, we examined all surfaces, took apart all bedding and found that there was no urine or feces present. Because the temperature was well below freezing, the urine would have been preserved. When the grizzly bear was taken out of winter sleep which had lasted 4. 5 months, he was placed in a cage with a heavy mesh bottom under which there was a plastic sheet to collect urine. The animal
still did not urinate for two days (Table 2). Other investigators have demon- strated that for even longer periods than this 4. 5 months, bears in winter sleep
do not defecate, urinate, drink or eat even when food and water is available. Thus we see the remarkable difference between small mammal hibernation and the hibernation of the bear.
TABLE 2. URINE VOLUMES OF BEAR AFTER HIBERNATION.
Dates
Apov.14 April 4
April 5 April 6 April 7
April 7
April 17 April 27 June 10
July 15
Time -
8:00 am -
10:30 am
4:00 pm
3:00 pm
2:00 pm -2010
Volumes
No urination
No urination No urination
160 ml
21 ml
116 ml 140 ml ml 2080 ml
Type of Sample -
-
24 hour (181 ml)
single emptying single emptying 24-hour
Comment
In hibernation Moved from den
st urination, 4. 5 mos.
Moved to large enclosure
Analyzed Analyzed
Not analyzed
We must also realize that in the case of the bear, there may be shunting of blood so that some compartments receive little blood flow. This is consistent with the observation by Hock (1966c) that the oxygen consumption of bears is reduced by 50 per cent during winter sleep. We suggest that a comparison can be made between the reduction of heart rate during the diving of marine mam- mals, and the winter sleep of bears. The same advantage which diving mam- mals find in a reduced heart rate may be applicable to the bear in winter
sleep; we say it is possible that the bear may 'dive' into hibernation in the winter (Anschuetz 1971; Folk et al. 1973), making itself into a 'heart-lung-brain preparation'.
Although it is generally assumed that bears can quickly reach an active state when stimulated during 'winter-sleep', there is one known case observed by Wakefield (1974, pers. comm.) in Pennsylvania where a black bear was found in 'winter-sleep' above ground. Several men surrounded the bear and prodded it, and for 20 minutes it did not even raise its head. Eventually it did become active and ran away rapidly.
It should be pointed out that renal and digestive activity in denning bears is reduced greatly. We can say in humor, that at least these two organ systems are more 'in hibernation' than is the case with small mammalian hibernators. Assessing the entire picture of the condition of dormancy of the bear in mid- winter, we would like to propose that there is really no conspicuous reason not to apply the term 'hibernation' to bears as well as small mammalian hiberna- tors. Bears are unusually well adapted as they stay dormant and do not con- sume or eliminate.
PHYSIOLOGICAL CHANGES IN HIBERNATING BEARS
Many blood samples have been taken by Nelson (1973) and his team from black
24-hour Analyzed
Paper 38 377

betteroffishing
04-08-2012, 08:45 AM
keep in mind that while they hibernate not only do they not pee , but they also dont drink anything. ive never noticed a bad taste on my spring bears. but if it were there durring butcherring , id immagine a apple cider vinegar dilution bath would nutralize the odors and freshen up the meat before packing and freezing. food for thaught though

digger dogger
04-08-2012, 08:47 AM

Maybe you shot "Sugar Bear" sugar crisp cereal makes for stinky pee too.

grizzlydueck
04-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Hey digger ...is there something wrong with your eyes? Maybe the bear was eating horsetail =did you see any around there ? Horse tail is one of natures highest sources of silica =just like asparagus

elkdom
04-08-2012, 09:38 AM
someone should write a Cook Book, "How to Cook With Piss" and "Things you can eat,that tastes like Piss"

chapter 1, open garbage can, deposit pissy tasting food sources !
chapter 2 close garbage can !

Tanya
04-08-2012, 09:54 AM
Could be the bear was not cooled down fast enough after it was downed. Bone sour. Bears retain heat and can sour pretty fast if they aren't gutted and cooled quick enough.

srupp
04-08-2012, 10:09 AM
hmmmm looked in a fair amount of bear dens and the overwhelming singular point would be just how clean..no smells..no acid..no fecal smell..really no smell at all..clean..cant remember finding a dirty one...I know NASA is examining the bear and its hibernation slowdown/sleep to see if it can be mimicked in man for long LONG deep manned space flight..

I also wonder if Tanya is on to more the logical suspect..bone sour??? when cooked it gives off a acid vinegar smell..the cold meat doesnt smell that offensive add heat ie fry pan oven.. and voila bone sour gives off a distinctive viniger smell..

cheers

Steven

digger dogger
04-08-2012, 10:10 AM
Hey digger ...is there something wrong with your eyes? Maybe the bear was eating horsetail =did you see any around there ? Horse tail is one of natures highest sources of silica =just like asparagus

That is what happend, when I ate too much sugar crisp, and held my pee because of the stench.

My eyes bugged out and I popped a couple fillings! :-)

oldkoot
04-08-2012, 10:37 AM
I am thinking you got it mixed up with a package of Goat meat.

Ltbullken
04-08-2012, 10:35 PM
I have never experienced that at all.

Walksalot
04-09-2012, 05:31 AM
Was it downed with a Texas Heart Shot?

Big Lew
04-09-2012, 07:53 AM
hmmmm looked in a fair amount of bear dens and the overwhelming singular point would be just how clean..no smells..no acid..no fecal smell..really no smell at all..clean..cant remember finding a dirty one...I know NASA is examining the bear and its hibernation slowdown/sleep to see if it can be mimicked in man for long LONG deep manned space flight..

I also wonder if Tanya is on to more the logical suspect..bone sour??? when cooked it gives off a acid vinegar smell..the cold meat doesnt smell that offensive add heat ie fry pan oven.. and voila bone sour gives off a distinctive viniger smell..

cheers

Steven
I would tend to agree with "Tanya" and "srupp" on this issue. It really doesn't make sense that urine, which is a finished product from kidney filtration, would 'back up' in the system sufficiently to effect the circulational system enough to taint the meat. An overfull bladder that can't empty can be fatal.

Ltbullken
04-09-2012, 10:44 AM
Further to the urea issue, this link states urea levels do no elevate during hibernation...

http://www2.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF10/1091.html

Therefore, my conclusion is that pissy bear meat is more likely a result of poor field handling, tainted meat or bad cooking technique or all of the above!

cloverphil
04-09-2012, 11:14 AM
someone should write a Cook Book, "How to Cook With Piss" and "Things you can eat,that tastes like Piss"

chapter 1, open garbage can, deposit pissy tasting food sources !
chapter 2 close garbage can !
apparentley there is a delicacy in China of eating boiled eggs soaked in young boys piss, I hear about it last week on bizarre news radio

not sure I 'd want eat anything pissy though

huntcoop
04-09-2012, 11:58 AM
Shot a bear in the fall once he had the same smell after cooking a roast in the oven. It smelled like someone pissed in the oven...

Wow, that's why ya trophy hunt and feed the hounds....fookin' rank.

ryanb
04-09-2012, 05:22 PM
How does one know what piss tastes like? I'm guessing since I am the first to ask this question everyone else has tasted piss. Anyone care to share how you have come to taste piss?

Gateholio
04-09-2012, 05:37 PM
How does one know what piss tastes like? I'm guessing since I am the first to ask this question everyone else has tasted piss. Anyone care to share how you have come to taste piss?

Much of the "tastes" humans experience are actually smells.

If you know what piss smells like, you pretty much know what it tastes like.

jjl
04-12-2012, 02:06 PM
yes that is true . I did the same thing and it work . also soaking the meat in vinegar and water help take out impurity in the meat and give a very good tasting meat

The Dawg
04-12-2012, 02:09 PM

http://memecreator.net/the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world/showimage.php/662/I-dont-normally-drink-piss-but-when-i-do-i-invite-bear-grylls.jpg