PDA

View Full Version : Youngest Archery Slam Accomplished!!!

stoneguide
04-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Just got word that Adam Foss has just became the youngest person to take the 4 north american mountain sheep with Archery tackle this morning. Him and his Dad Tom( anyone that knows sheep has heard of Tom) both harvested Desert rams within an hour of each other and they are now hunting to get his brother Cam a ram.

When you get your ram drinks are on me in Billy Bobs this time Cam!!!

Not huge on records but this family is what sheep hunters are! They live and dream hunting sheep!

Congrats guys! Job well done!

Darcy

boxhitch
04-07-2012, 11:06 AM
both harvested Desert rams within an hour of each other and they are now hunting to get his brother Cam a ram.

this family is what sheep hunters are!Thats an unfair generalization...........I hope

Good on the young guy though , I'm sure he earned it

stoneguide
04-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Unfair how? They are dedicated and hunt hard! They live to hunt and follow that passion. I'm sure you are bringing up the fact that they can afford these hunts but they are true sheep hunters at heart and thats what I look at not the financial factors!

Gateholio
04-07-2012, 02:01 PM
Congrats to the young guy. Now what's he gonna do with the rest of his life? ;)

Bear Chaser
04-07-2012, 02:35 PM
Congrats to the young guy. Now what's he gonna do with the rest of his life? ;)

If I had to guess I'd say Slam 2, Slam 3, Slam 4................................:mrgreen::mrgreen :

David Heitsman
04-08-2012, 08:28 AM
I'm a bit queazy about this too. It's not the financial factor. I do not know this family. I'm delighted that they are able to realize goals, spend time together etc.

I saw a bunch of this at Grand Slam in Reno this year where earliteens are up on stage with proud parents in tow accepting what should amount to life time achievements. One had missed the youngest slam award by a few days to another who had completed it sooner. As Gatehouse mentioned earlier, what's next for them then?

I'm trying to juxtapose this with our challenge to encourage younger hunters to participate and yet am still wondering about it all. Do we just want the kids to just kill does and cows when they're kids? At what point can they pursue their own hunting goals and achievements?
Are these awards their own achievements?

I see a similar thing happening in golf and specially in hockey, where young kids are pushed in an area that imho is the passion of the parents much more so than the children. I see children on the driving range for more hours than I can spend with parents drilling them over and over on technique and form.

In hockey, I see children drug out of bed to be at a hockey rink at 6:00 or sooner, playing an hour and then sleeping in school all because some coach has told the parents that "I think he has a chance".

My rant for the morning...

Oh yea, Happy Easter!

Ride Red
04-08-2012, 08:52 AM
The fact that the family can afford these hunts obviously allows them the greater chance to achieve these goals. As long as these young men are in pursuit of these goals as their own dream/achievement because they want to, I don't see any issues with it. Personally, years of memories and struggles are what make the end result all that much sweeter and memorable.

frenchbar
04-08-2012, 08:55 AM
I'm a bit queazy about this too. It's not the financial factor. I do not know this family. I'm delighted that they are able to realize goals, spend time together etc.

I saw a bunch of this at Grand Slam in Reno this year where earliteens are up on stage with proud parents in tow accepting what should amount to life time achievements. One had missed the youngest slam award by a few days to another who had completed it sooner. As Gatehouse mentioned earlier, what's next for them then?

I'm trying to juxtapose this with our challenge to encourage younger hunters to participate and yet am still wondering about it all. Do we just want the kids to just kill does and cows when they're kids? At what point can they pursue their own hunting goals and achievements?
Are these awards their own achievements?

I see a similar thing happening in golf and specially in hockey, where young kids are pushed in an area that imho is the passion of the parents much more so than the children. I see children on the driving range for more hours than I can spend with parents drilling them over and over on technique and form.

In hockey, I see children drug out of bed to be at a hockey rink at 6:00 or sooner, playing an hour and then sleeping in school all because some coach has told the parents that "I think he has a chance".

My rant for the morning...

Oh yea, Happy Easter!

YOU SOUND LIKE SILVICON ..... NO KIDS ALLOWED...lol ...good on the youngster .

fireguy
04-08-2012, 09:54 AM
YOU SOUND LIKE SILVICON ..... NO KIDS ALLOWED...lol ...good on the youngster .

I didn't see it that way, what Heitsman was saying was although this is a great achievement, was it their dream or just their parents dream of them getting it done.

Congrats on the achievement, I read about this somewhere else just before it got completed and although I am not big on the "race" to get these things done, it shouldn't diminish it. Some of my biggest animals were taken as firsts and when I was young as well, I have often asked myself questions like should I try and get another as i probably won't get a bigger one but my answer to myself is always the same, I don't hunt to try and always get bigger ones, just animals that I am proud of myself and set my own goals, if the goal is bigger, than that's the goal, if the goal is just another one, that's my goal. Because I set my own goals I am never dissapointed and I hope these young guys do the same.

frenchbar
04-08-2012, 10:05 AM
We will never know if its their dream or their parents ..dream ..i would venture to guess a little of both... all parents want are children to succeed .if a kid has the capabilities to hunt and shoot a rifle on their own ..they have as much right as anybody else to be in a record book ..i know when i was 12 ..i didnt go on hunts just to please my dad ....i did it for the love of hunting ..more than likely the same reason this youngster went on his slam hunt .

stoneguide
04-08-2012, 10:26 AM
Trust me guys the dream is as much Adams and Cams as it is of their Dad Toms! Yes they are blessed to be able to go on hunts we only dream of but they are very passionate hunters and they live and dream of being out there just as much as any one else and spend much of the off season in the mountains because of their passion. Sure their dad got the drive going and dreams of his boys being successful at hunting but that is the same as just about every other person on this forum just with his finacial success he can help out more that way!
SG

mntbowhunter
04-08-2012, 09:12 PM
I agree Stoneguide. I have never met the FOSS family but I do know someone who knows them well. Yes money is involved but I heard they are sheep fanatics and both Adam and Cam are excellent sheep hunters. I think his Stone and Rocky were both killed with over the counter tags without a guide. That in itself is quite a feat and no person who just wanted to please their Dad could accomplish that. If I could afford to do it that would be my number one goal. Hell if I could afford it after the grand slam Id be chasing the superslam. Better than having gold coat hangers to hang your expensive clothes on like Jennifer lopez

eaglesj
04-08-2012, 09:24 PM
It's pretty sad that someone posts on this site trying to congratulate someone about an accomplishment, and others need to start bashing them when they don't even know the family. Why can't people just be happy for them. With respect to hockey, do you really think that Sydney Crosby played hockey only because his parents forced him to? I don't know his family well enough to say anything either way, but I doubt it.

Congratulations on the successful hunt.

Jack Russell
04-09-2012, 07:01 AM
As parents, you introduce your children to every option in life that you can afford (timewise and financially) - the kids will let you know where their interest lies, and when they start participating, you keep "feedin' 'em". This is the rewarding aspect of parenting - watching your kids take on a task with gumption and interest. These boys just happened to get introduced to sheep hunting - others get introduced to hockey, mechanics, farming. They are excelling at it, so a pat on the back and have at it, boys. Keep going! And congrats.

And by the way, don't lose sight of the fact that this slam was taken with a BOW and ARROW. Half the fat asses on this site couldn't handle getting into sheep country, let alone often enough to be close enough to draw the bow and make the shot.

J_T
04-09-2012, 07:24 AM
I knew Tom 20 years ago when we were both shooting traditional and where battling to create youth opportunity in a world based on an old boys hunting club mentality. Tom never whined. Just kept hunting and providing opportunities for his boys to find the hunt for themselves. This is not about a Dad dragging his kids up mtns in search of his own passion. This is about a Father whose dreams are coming true. He hunts with his sons. Nothing could be better. Congrats to the family.

BCRiverBoater
04-09-2012, 04:13 PM
Good on him. Congrats!!!

Everyone needs to get their kids out there hunting or just out into the back-country. It does not matter what level you can afford to hunt at. Taking a youth out for a grouse is just as rewarding and as important to our sport as a young kid getting is Grand Slam!!!

Brez
04-09-2012, 04:28 PM
to do this with a bow is an outstanding achievement, regardless of family wealth or motivation.
Congratulations are in order and well deserved.

jmo
04-09-2012, 04:46 PM
I met up with Cam and Adam after Adam killed his stone last year and saw his sheep and footage of the ram. Adam moved to B.C just to be able to have a chance at getting a stone, and there sheep hunt was not guided and there dad was not there. These two guys are sheep hunters and if anyone says they are just chasing there dads dream doesn't know there ass from there elbow. Sure, not everyone can afford to get a slam, but if you could, good on you for doing it. I have two young boys myself, and I dream of going up into the mountains with them to hunt sheep, and am going do do everything to try to get them to have the same passion that I do. But ultimately it is there decision. I think that there is just some jelous people out there. Good on you Adam.

stoneguide
04-12-2012, 04:39 PM
Update for ya guys. Looks like Cam was able to harvest his ram today!!!!!! It was the last day of their Carmen Island hunt and he pulled it off with his bow.

Great job guys and cant wait to see the pics and hear the stories!!!

SG

sheephunterab
04-19-2012, 01:17 PM
I know the family well and have shared many days afield with them and they are hard hunting sons of guns and they live and breath sheep. It should be noted that two of Adam's sheep are unguided and he did all the leg work finding them. If their is someone more deserving to hold this title, I have not yet met them. They are a first class family, that promotes hunting and promotes families hunting together. They epitomize what hunting is all about. Tom is a self made financial success and he spends his money pursuing his passion with his family...pretty hard to criticize that!

bridger
04-19-2012, 09:55 PM
Any sheep hunter knows that a grand slam is an amazing accomplishment and that an archery grand slam is awesome especially when some of the rams were self guided. This family needs to be congratulated not subjected to idle speculation!