PDA

View Full Version : Start-up equipment for a crossbow

ROM
04-06-2012, 12:32 AM
Hi folks,

I'm buying a crossbow this year which will take up most of my hunting budget. May I ask your opinion as to what are the minimum items I need to buy with this to be operational this year? Next year I can buy lots of stuff but what is the minimum I need this year to practice and get into the field.

Thanks,

R

ianwuzhere
04-06-2012, 09:45 AM
get the rope cocking aid, some wax and a few arrows and start shooting..(shoot only at target tho) hay bales etc dont work unless you have lots of cheap arrow..
quiver, scope, another string and stringer whenever you can..

Bow Walker
04-06-2012, 09:53 AM
Are you buying a "Package deal"? That'd get you what you need to hunt the first year.

Get some string wax and use it. Also use it on the rail or your string serving will deteriorate pretty fast just by the friction.

Maybe get some extra bolts (crossbows shoot bolts, not arrows) make sure that they are not too light. I'd not recommend using mechanical heads for hunting - get some fixed or replaceable-blade heads and practice with them. You gotta know where your bolts are going to go - at all distances.

I usually designate one hunting broadhead as a practice head because it gets too dull to hunt with after the second shot into a target. Using one head for practice will let you know how the rest will fly.

greybark
04-06-2012, 11:19 PM
Hey ROM , invest in a good Rangefinder ....
Cheers

E.V.B.H.
04-07-2012, 08:01 AM
Just, curious but why a crossbow and not a compound? I have nothing against crossbows at all, I just know a lot of people that end up selling them in few years for vertical bows.

300H&H
04-07-2012, 08:18 AM
If it's in your budget get a package deal like the one offered by Excalibur.

www.excaliburcrossbow.com/catalog/crossbow/phoenix

The link above shows the bow that I have.
I found my beast deal in town at Hard Core Archery.
They are very knowledgeable and are bow hunters.
I shot my crossbow and at 20 yards all the arrows were touching.
So out of the box without sighting in it was very accurate.
I can now shoot a tight group at 50 yards.
I do highly recommend a Excalibur with the "package".
It gives you everything you need to get started.

www.excaliburcrossbow.com

IronNoggin
04-07-2012, 11:19 AM
I strongly agree with 300H&H's advice. Excaliber offers a complete package which has pretty much everything you'll need to get you going: http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/catalog/crossbow/the_right_stuff_scope_accessory_package

I went that route for the Ibex, except I upgraded the scope to the larger objective lens (better low-light operations) with the illuminated adjustable multiplex crosshair. Damn thing was so accurate right off the get-go I couldn't shoot at the same point without risking splitting arrows! :twisted:

The only other piece I found to be pretty much mandatory was as GreyBark noted: a Good Rangefinder! I have a LOT of experience judging ranges for the rifle, but that is MUCH more forgiving, and found my judgement was severely tested at the close range stuff. The rangefinder takes away the "guesswork".

As for why the crossbow... I my case my left shoulder was seriously damaged several times over the course of my earlier life. Can't even hold the ol' PSE Compound at full draw any more. Thought I had lost the pointy-stick passion forever. The Excaliber thankfully opened that door to EXCITEMENT once again!! :twisted:

ENJOY your new toy!! :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Nog