PDA

View Full Version : Okanagan Elk Harvested

Sieg-MM
10-27-2006, 09:21 AM
For those of you who like quick, too the point stories... yes my uncle and I harvested a bull Elk in Okanagan on Oct. 17. Below are some pictures and a longer story for those interested.

Spent some time this summer scouting and trying to locate an Elk in our
Whitetail spot as my uncle had came accross a few bulls in November 05.
No luck. Now it's hunting season, went on a few evening hunts trying to
locate fresh sign. No luck. Uncle went out in the second week in October and finally found some fresh sign; an indication that the elk maybe around. As well, I recieved a hot tip in mid October that a bull was seen by a non-hunter in the area where the fresh sign was found. BINGO!

At Sunday night dinner, my uncle, dad and I started to put together a plan hunt these elk Tuesday night. The plan never took off and my dad and I found our selfs heading up the hill without my uncle. A half-an-hour into the hunt I heard two shots come from the general location I was hunting. Right away I radioed my dad to see if it was him. It wasn't. He told me it sounded like my uncles gun and that I should go have a look in the direction of the shots.

I started "clubbing" my way over to the shots; 15-20 minutes passed before the last shot was taken. All of a sudden I heard some branches
cracking on the ridge below. My eyes nearly poped out of my head when I looked down the ridge and seen an bull elk coming through the thicket :eek:

He stopped and I immedialty drew my rifle to count. With him looking strait
at me, I quickly counted five and while looking for the sixth point he
turned his head sideways and I seen six! But he bolted back down the hill :( I listened carefully and figured out that he was starting to make his way back up the hill. I ran across the ridge at full speed to the area I though he may come up. Sure enough, I came around a rock bluff and there he was at 25 yards. No counting this time.... I stroked him in the neck and he crumbled! :)

The funny thing was my uncle thought that someone else shot the bull. He came over the hill and seen my curly hair and said "Ty is that you"? He
was so happy to see me beside the elk and not some other hunter. He had no idea I was out hunting.

It turns out that my uncle hit him on his second shot though the front
sholder and the elk fell down a bank but got up and ran right into me 15-20 minutes later. Iwas the finisher. Not really my elk as we figured he would of died from my uncles shot, but I was more than glad to warm up the barrel. Who knows how far he would of went before dying.

Put a tape to it and roughly scored it at 337gross/323 net. I guess we do grow them big in the Okanagan :D

http://s100.photobucket.com/albums/m28/Sieg-MM/?action=view&current=IMG_0153.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch2
http://s100.photobucket.com/albums/m28/Sieg-MM/?action=view&current=IMG_0155.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch1

GoatGuy
10-27-2006, 09:27 AM
Ty,

I thought you knew to post everything you shoot as taken in Region 3! :-D:-D :-D

Congrats again; we'll be by on the trail of the whities in a couple weeks.

Good luck on the long weekend.,

rocksteady
10-27-2006, 09:28 AM
Congrats. Thats another great looking bull...

Got to love B.C., excellent elk province...

Jagermeister
10-27-2006, 09:29 AM
That's a nice elk.
I hunted those buggers in that vicinity years ago, but it never culminated in success. Seems that they could move through the peckerpole pine easier that I could and never afforded the opportunity of a good shot.

WoodOx
10-27-2006, 09:30 AM
Congrats man
you look familiar - OK College?

What management unit was he in?

Jagermeister
10-27-2006, 09:41 AM
Got to love B.C., excellent elk province...
There's no truer words spoken, and I believe that it is going to get better.
When I moved to the Cariboo in 1972, there was only a ragtag herd of elk to the SE of Quesnel in the Skelton Valley area. Now there are elk popping up all over the place, Milburn Mtn., Hixon area, the Blackwater area, Punchaw area.
Harold Mitchell, Regional Biologist of the day wanted to transplant some into the Gaspard/Churn Creek area but met too much resistance from the area ranchers, that never came to pass, but the elk from around the Goldbridge area may have expanded to that area.
With all the bug kill harvesting going on, it's going to become primo elk habitat, expect a population explosion, and I think moose will benefit also.

WoodOx
10-27-2006, 09:43 AM
I agree Jager - I wouldnt be surprised if Mule deer numbers increased for a change from whitetails.
Whitetail from my experience though are quite adaptable - but cleared areas, or dead-forest areas dont seem to attract as many whites as they do elk,Moose, mule, and blacks.

I am quite interested to see what happens over the next approx. 5-10 years with hunting and losing like 90% of our pine forests!

mark
10-27-2006, 09:57 AM
:shock: sweet elk man! So is that spot a family secret, or are ya gonna draw us a map????:-D

NEEHAMA
10-27-2006, 10:08 AM
monster! elk, nice work.

brno375
10-27-2006, 10:08 AM
Very nice elk. A six point elk, an immy moose, so I guess all that is left is a cranker Mulie and WT. Best of luck.

Fisher-Dude
10-27-2006, 10:14 AM
That's a beauty bull Tyler! Well done!

Gus
10-27-2006, 10:39 AM
Wicked bull. Nothing like a little tag team action eh

chola
10-27-2006, 10:57 AM
Very nice bull indeed...congrtas man,way to go

Stone Sheep Steve
10-27-2006, 11:04 AM
Awesome Bull Tyler!!! Congrats to the both of you!!
Princeton RIGHT!!:wink:

SSS

Franko Manini
10-27-2006, 11:14 AM
Holy Crap. You have realized MY DREAM!

Way to go!

Fisher-Dude
10-27-2006, 12:44 PM
Awesome Bull Tyler!!! Congrats to the both of you!!
Princeton RIGHT!!:wink:

SSS

Shhhh! Someone might think it's a roosey! :rolleyes:

WoodOx
10-27-2006, 01:04 PM
Shhhh! Someone might think it's a roosey! :rolleyes:

Lmao

Or maybe start a new cross breeding argument - its a Rosey AND a Rky Mtn!!! haha

ASPEN
10-27-2006, 01:13 PM
You guys keep showing pics of these beauts and I'm gonna have to take up Elk hunting!

NightOwl74
10-27-2006, 02:12 PM
Awesome "cause I live in Kelowna. Hope they spread like crazy. WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T SAY WHERE YOU GOT IT. THERE WILL BE NONE LEFT Man!

NightOwl74
10-27-2006, 02:15 PM
By the way, that is the BEST hunting photograph I have ever seen! excellent shot

sparkymacker
10-27-2006, 02:58 PM
Awesome "cause I live in Kelowna. Hope they spread like crazy. WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T SAY WHERE YOU GOT IT. THERE WILL BE NONE LEFT Man!

Hmmmm....I am pretty sure they got it off the Glen Lake Rd.? :roll:

J_T
10-27-2006, 03:54 PM
Nice harvest. Nice teamwork. Just imagine if your uncle was some other guy saying, "that's my elk". :cry: Lots of discussion to solve that.

Congrats, and yes, great photo.

JT

Sieg-MM
10-27-2006, 05:12 PM
Agaucher: yes I went to OUC. Graded from the business program in 2005.

Mark: Your right, the spot is top secret 8) I've hunted this ridge for 10 years now and I've never seen another hunter. Just family members. That's probably why the elk were in the area.

Goat Guy: want to borrow my horseshoe for your trip to Revelstoke, good luck! :lol: