PDA

View Full Version : Kootenay Solo Goat Hunt Help

rcar
04-05-2012, 09:42 AM
I have been in the throws of planning this trip all winter and believe I have narrowed my area down to several MU's (23-B or 24-B in early October) but before I put in for my LEH I am looking for some help from members who have hunted the East Kootenays so I can determine how accessible my target areas are. I have exhausted Google and BC backroads maps but they are no substitute for real advice.

I would also appreciate any thoughts on general areas in the West Kootenays or Golden area as an alternative. My main goal is to have a great & safe adventure and get my goat without killing myself. I am planning on a 7-10 day trip, including 2-3 days travel from the LM.

As I am planning on a solo hunt I am trying to find an area that isn't too technical to get into and out of so the task of packing out an animal won't be overly difficult or dangerous.....and yes, I realize how foolish this sounds:-D

Any advice or thoughts are welcome. I do have a reasonable amount of mountain experience as a hiker and I will have all of the proper gear and safety items necessary including a spot.

My preferable hike in from road/quad access would be no more than 10K to camp. Mostly in the event I have to make a double trip back to pack out the animal.

Thx.

BiG Boar
04-05-2012, 10:15 AM
What areas do you have in mind in your exhaustive search?

open-sights
04-05-2012, 10:17 AM
Dont you dare BB

BiG Boar
04-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Hahaha.
Just saying it's easier to say has anyone hunted this drainage or that drainage, I'm thinking of going there for goats. He did this "Exhaustive" search, after all. You don't think that he would post up something like this in hopes someone will tell him where is a great place to go do you? He's probably so exhausted from his pouring over maps that he forgot to post up which drainages he's thinking of going to.

All he wants is an easy spot to get a nice big Billy. Is that too much to ask?

To the OP, look on the high def google maps and you can actually see the white goats at the tops of certain mountains. That would be where I would start. Just too bad it doesn't work for sheep!

Rackmastr
04-05-2012, 11:09 AM
Hahaha.
Just saying it's easier to say has anyone hunted this drainage or that drainage, I'm thinking of going there for goats. He did this "Exhaustive" search, after all. You don't think that he would post up something like this in hopes someone will tell him where is a great place to go do you? He's probably so exhausted from his pouring over maps that he forgot to post up which drainages he's thinking of going to.

All he wants is an easy spot to get a nice big Billy. Is that too much to ask?

To the OP, look on the high def google maps and you can actually see the white goats at the tops of certain mountains. That would be where I would start. Just too bad it doesn't work for sheep!

That must be why killin Dall sheep is so easy eh? Haha

Can you tell on the high-def whether they are billies or nannies??

BlacktailStalker
04-05-2012, 11:13 AM
It wasn't long ago (at all) you were asking these same questions big bore, only difference being he isn't as direct or blatantly forthcoming about it.
Why not cut the b.s and help him out?

BiG Boar
04-05-2012, 11:17 AM
That must be why killin Dall sheep is so easy eh? Haha

Can you tell on the high-def whether they are billies or nannies??

Yeah you can spot the nannies because they are with the kids.

BiG Boar
04-05-2012, 11:21 AM
It wasn't long ago (at all) you were asking these same questions big bore, only difference being he isn't as direct or blatantly forthcoming about it.

I am, I told him the trade secret of looking on google earth for them. That's what I do.

snareman1234
04-05-2012, 11:28 AM
I am, I told him the trade secret of looking on google earth for them. That's what I do.

It's the only way.

For example, look here:

50° 38.896'N, 116° 50.528'W

BC Mountain Goat family group, nannie, 2 kids, and large billy.

... :)

Islandeer
04-05-2012, 11:31 AM
Direct hit!

grizzlydueck
04-05-2012, 12:11 PM
hey if you want to put in for leh i'll tell ya a spot that you can mtn bike into and set up camp sitting at the spot on the road -you can spot 30 goats on average =an hour + up depending on how in shape your in and you can be shooting a goat and in top notch country ! all in a road closure= have shot a couple in there+ 1 for my mtn goat sweater I had an old cowichian native elder hand make=soo cool! let me know! i'm wearing it in some of my gallery pics =ram and some others

rcar
04-05-2012, 01:30 PM
What areas do you have in mind in your exhaustive search?

Hey BB

My evasiveness was really more to keep from pinpointing my targeted spots on the open forum so that every casual reader here doesn't descend on it like a pack of wolves.

I was thinking, as was the case in several other similiar posts in the past, a member would invite a PM to discuss specifics. My intent wasn't to leach without doing any work but to respect the other hunters who may also choose the same area.

Several years ago I was fishing the Fraser for Sockeye and the area I was fishing was totally vacant. On a fishing forum someone posted that the salmon were in and a location. The next day there were over 200 guys shoulder to shoulder on the banks. That is the reason I didn't post the exact MU.

So to answer your question I have narrowed my initial target areas down to MU 23-B and 24-B. The exact drainages I have not finalized and was hoping to get some direction and advice or alternatives that my be better suited to a solo hunt

Oh FYI, before this post, my "exhaustive" search has included probably 40 hours with maps, reading every post here that I could find, and in addition I have read all of the available Gov't survey and habitat reports. As a reference of where to start I have read "The Beast the Color Of Winter" and I'm waiting for my copy of "Hunt High" to arrive.

I am guessing this is a lot more work than most others have done before posting looking for help in the past.

Unfortunately I live 10 hours away so making an advance scouting trip is out of the question. Hopefully with the help of others I can shorten my learning curve and have a successful hunt.

Also, I am in no way trying to "get off easy" by finding the easies way to kill a goat and leach others hotspots. Quite the opposite in fact. I am hoping this trip pushes me to the very brink physically and mentally. When I only get 1 big trip a year I want to remember everything about it and that more often than not, includes the hardships.

BlacktailStalker
04-05-2012, 01:58 PM
Good reply rcar.
Quick thoughts from work...
I think if you were drawn in either of those areas you'd find your goat.
I'm not familiar with either one specifically but did draw and fill an leh in another unit in 4 and there is no shortage of goats. The later you can go, the longer the beards will be... The earlier you go the higher and more inaccessible some of the billies CAN be but also can be a good time to find them laying on the snowpacks in areas not all guys would make the effort to get to.

swampthing
04-06-2012, 06:42 AM
Your solo goat hunt isnt foolish. Keep your wits about you and have fun. I dont know the area but hopefully you got some info.

longrifle
04-06-2012, 11:21 AM

X23!!!! lol

'rifle

Rackmastr
04-06-2012, 11:54 AM
RCAR,

I'll be exploring some areas as a new resident of the EK and plan on looking for some GOS goat areas as well will be crawling around the hills this summer and fall in some of the areas that are LEH as well. If you want to get together for a hike let me know. I'd also be glad to help ya on your hunt if you need a hand for a couple days this fall. Just drop me a PM.

Mugger
04-07-2012, 08:47 AM
If you have hunted it there are at least a dozen eyes onit at any one time you would be surprised at how many people view a spot fom different vantage spots. There are no secrets out there anymore just luck and boot tracks.