PDA

View Full Version : Damfino Creek

Jagermeister
04-03-2012, 08:46 PM
How many of you know where Damfino Creek is? A link if you don't.
http://apps.gov.bc.ca/pub/bcgnws/names/7572.html
How many of you know the story of murder and mayhem that took place there in the late '60s? Can't remember the details, just that some whacko took some people out and he was apprehended over Nakusp way. Another link to the story,
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1946&dat=19720831&id=HQsyAAAAIBAJ&sjid=w6EFAAAAIBAJ&pg=2529,7458891

Ddog
04-03-2012, 09:00 PM
i had no idea of that,, i have hunted that area and know it well

Iltasyuko
04-03-2012, 09:35 PM
I know the area also but did not know about the story - thanks for posting it.

Gumsehwah
04-03-2012, 10:41 PM
I went camping there when I was a cubs out in Osoyoos.

All I knew about the place os that I found some gold dust and that the place was haunted by "The Birch Bark Monster."

Wrayzer
04-04-2012, 04:32 PM
Great camping spot, good area to tie off and float in the Kettle...wasn't aware of the story, sounds like Ill have to bring that story out around the campfire at Damfino this Summer....

bosca
04-04-2012, 05:17 PM
Wow...That is a little eerie...I have camped in that forestry rec sight just behind the bridge a couple times. Also camped up a Never Touch lake....I love the place names in that area.

scottwh
04-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Wow! Thats crazy! I have been there a million times. Thanx for sharing the story!

horshur
04-04-2012, 08:35 PM
I grew up with that story...gonna have to ask dad about that that one again. Damfino creek was good fishing we had a friend caught a 6 pounder there....lost our dog down the creek once. I am thinking maybe camped there when I was 5 or 6 maybe 72--73 I am getting old.

BigfishCanada
04-04-2012, 08:49 PM
WHats the scoop with the killer? That was almost 40 years ago, is he fishing the area again now?

Jagermeister
04-04-2012, 09:42 PM
I grew up with that story...gonna have to ask dad about that that one again. Damfino creek was good fishing we had a friend caught a 6 pounder there....lost our dog down the creek once. I am thinking maybe camped there when I was 5 or 6 maybe 72--73 I am getting old.I can tell you that you're just a puppy, add 20 for mine. My mother worked with or for one of the ladies, whom I believe owned a lady's wear store. I too frequented the Damfino Creek area, but I moved from Pentiction shortly after that tragedy happened and have never been back in that region since. I will have to retrace my path once again.

WHats the scoop with the killer? That was almost 40 years ago, is he fishing the area again now?Good question BigfishCanada, I would be interested in the answer too.
Like all murder felons, he probably changed his name to protect his anonymity from the heinous act he committed. Just as David Shearing (Johnson/Bentley Murderer) changed his to David Ennis to protect his sordid past and make it harder to link him to the atrocious crime.

horshur
04-10-2012, 09:48 PM
I can tell you that you're just a puppy, add 20 for mine. My mother worked with or for one of the ladies, whom I believe owned a lady's wear store. I too frequented the Damfino Creek area, but I moved from Pentiction shortly after that tragedy happened and have never been back in that region since. I will have to retrace my path once again.

Good question BigfishCanada, I would be interested in the answer too.
Like all murder felons, he probably changed his name to protect his anonymity from the heinous act he committed. Just as David Shearing (Johnson/Bentley Murderer) changed his to David Ennis to protect his sordid past and make it harder to link him to the atrocious crime.

I asked...my grandmothers husbands brother was who helped the fellow who had been shot at Damfino met him on the road......