PDA

View Full Version : Planning a September elk hunt!!!

snipes13
04-03-2012, 03:56 PM
So me and a couple buddies are planning an elk trip in September. We are all first time elk hunters but have all been hunters 10+ yrs. My problem is i really know nothing about the pursuit of a nice 6 pt bull. So im wondering if anyone as some tips for us to maybe point us in the right direction. Maybe a few decent spots? I dont want your secret spots, hopefully i can find my own but any suggestions would be awesome!!

The Dawg
04-03-2012, 04:01 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/34/Flame-Flame_on.jpg

300wsmXboltKiller
04-03-2012, 04:03 PM
kooteneys is where u wanna go no elk in interior :)

04-03-2012, 04:03 PM
I am just warning you,,,, First post and asking where to go elk hunting here is some what akin to swimming with sharks with a dead tuna strapped to your head!

welcome to the site, dont judge the members by what is comming!
Reg 4. Take a pick of the sub units, buy the road atlas and dive into adventure.

doubled
04-03-2012, 04:04 PM
Lots of elk in squamish I hear. LOL

elknut
04-03-2012, 04:08 PM
LEH .....McNab creek...

snipes13
04-03-2012, 04:15 PM
Thanx 835. I no im going to get some ppl with negative comments. Ive gone thru the site and seen what ppl say. im more just looking for tips on the hunt itself. Ive narrowed my area down but like i said before i no nothing about elk. Ive done research on the net but tried and tested tips from local hunters is always the best way.
There is A LOT of elk in upper squamish. Hopefully one day will be a LEH

snipes13
04-03-2012, 04:16 PM
Ive put in for that the last 6 yrs. No luck yet

hunter1947
04-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Hunt The WK there are some monster elk over that way ,pick a mountain and hike up it you will find elk..

moosinaround
04-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Salmon River in PG, Willow River in PG, Fraser River in PG, Blackwater area in PG, Bowron River in PG, Haggen River around PG. Now go forth and hunt!! Moosin

snipes13
04-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Thx 1947. im prepared to hike as far as the elk take me

Moose Guide
04-03-2012, 04:28 PM
Hunt The WK there are some monster elk over that way ,pick a mountain and hike up it you will find elk..

I think Wayne ment the EK, places like Bull river.

snipes13
04-03-2012, 04:31 PM
Bull river was one of the areas i had picked out. Just wasnt sure if it was over hunted. Or is everyone mainly road hunters??

elkdom
04-03-2012, 04:36 PM

not everyone is willing spend 3 months camped in same spot looking for an elk,,,,,,,,,,,,:?

Weatherby Fan
04-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Bull river is a good area but busy early,if you don't mind hiking no problem finding an Elk
We always go in October 10-20 most everything is open to hunt and not so busy,
On a sarcastic note check with Husky7mm on here he loves helping out non locals to the Cranbrook area !

junkyard_g
04-03-2012, 04:39 PM
peace river country. south facing aspen slopes along rivers. that was the first advice I got. took a couple adventures to narrow down some decent spots and get into the elk.

BCrams
04-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Or is everyone mainly road hunters??

Plenty of that.

Hike and you're on your own.

snipes13
04-03-2012, 04:42 PM
Nope im planning on hiking a lot. We are planning 3rd or 4th week in sept.

snipes13
04-03-2012, 04:43 PM
[QUOTE=BCrams;1124685]Plenty of that.

Awesome!!!!!

elkdom
04-03-2012, 04:46 PM
just make DAMM sure you don't shoot "someone else's Elk" !

the treads and the drama will go on, and on, and on, and on,,,,,,,,,,,

I'm not exactly sure what "someone elses Elk ?" would look like ?

but just DON'T shoot it !:-|

deer nut
04-03-2012, 04:46 PM
Get off the road and find their bedroom don't wait for them to come to you. Play the wind and go in after them once you find them by calling. Too many hunters wait for a bull to come out into an opening. It happens, but I've dsicovered that being aggressive works better.

snipes13
04-03-2012, 04:51 PM
just make DAMM sure you don't shoot "someone else's Elk" !

the treads and the drama will go on, and on, and on, and on,,,,,,,,,,,

I'm not exactly sure what "someone elses Elk ?" would look like ?

but just DON'T shoot it !:-|

I will be sure to do my best hahah is this coming from experience????

snipes13
04-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Get off the road and find their bedroom don't wait for them to come to you. Play the wind and go in after them once you find them by calling. Too many hunters wait for a bull to come out into an opening. It happens, but I've dsicovered that being aggressive works better.

Thanks for the tip. Would you recommend a bugle or cow call or a mix of both?

elkdom
04-03-2012, 04:57 PM
I will be sure to do my best hahah is this coming from experience????

just from reading threads here , how someone killed someone eles Elk, lmao,,,

the 25 or so Elk I have killed were mine, and only mine,, come to think of it ? no-one else has EVER killed MY Elk,,,, but me :mrgreen:

deer nut
04-03-2012, 05:00 PM
I hunt in a 2 man team and we use both. The idea is to sound like another bull with a few cows. It's often called "running & gunning". You keep the wind in your face and keep pushing a bull until you get close in on them and get fed up, turn around and they basically charge you! Very exciting, esp because they often aren't sure whether they want to fight you or f--- you!! :)

snipes13
04-03-2012, 05:02 PM
just from reading threads here , how someone killed someone eles Elk, lmao,,,

the 25 or so Elk I have killed were mine, and only mine,, come to think of it ? no-one else has EVER killed MY Elk,,,, but me :mrgreen:

hahaha too funny

snipes13
04-03-2012, 05:04 PM
I hunt in a 2 man team and we use both. The idea is to sound like another bull with a few cows. It's often called "running & gunning". You keep the wind in your face and keep pushing a bull until you get close in on them and get fed up, turn around and they basically charge you! Very exciting, esp because they often aren't sure whether hey wanto fight you or f--- you!! :)

Sounds like a blast....Cant wait..Thanks

swampthing
04-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Its always good to get pointed to an area that holds elk. It is then up to you to find them. You may be able to invite someone with you that has hunted an area, and will take you to it. I have only hunted elk a couple times but have been lucky enough to have someone take me to an area with elk in it. From that point it only took some basic hunting skills to find them. An overnight backpack trip just a couple hours off the beaten path will greatly increase your odds. I was lucky enough to get jetboated up the tuchodi for elk. Every night at last light, bulls would appear on the mountain tops, 2 or 3 hours hiking away. By spending a night up close to the mountain tops, we shot an elk each night we stayed out. Headlamping in and out for several hours in the dark each way will acheive this as well. Have fun.

cameron0518
04-03-2012, 05:10 PM
watch wild tv. lol

snipes13
04-03-2012, 05:13 PM
Its always good to get pointed to an area that holds elk. It is then up to you to find them. You may be able to invite someone with you that has hunted an area, and will take you to it. I have only hunted elk a couple times but have been lucky enough to have someone take me to an area with elk in it. From that point it only took some basic hunting skills to find them. An overnight backpack trip just a couple hours off the beaten path will greatly increase your odds. I was lucky enough to get jetboated up the tuchodi for elk. Every night at last light, bulls would appear on the mountain tops, 2 or 3 hours hiking away. By spending a night up close to the mountain tops, we shot an elk each night we stayed out. Headlamping in and out for several hours in the dark each way will acheive this as well. Have fun.

I will deffinetly be prepared for that...There is nothing better then spending a night under the stars on top of a mountain

snipes13
04-03-2012, 05:13 PM
watch wild tv. lol

Just ordered that a couple weeks ago lol

Brambles
04-03-2012, 05:23 PM
Thx 1947. im prepared to hike as far as the elk take me

Be prepared to loose your elk then. September heat and elk hunting don't go kindly together. Maybe if you go up north you'll have a chance because of easier access but the tougher access found in the south will make getting your animal out before it spoils much more difficult, especially for new elk hunters.

The kind of guy I respect is the guy that has the opportunity to shoot an elk and passes because he knows its too far too pack out before it goes bad.

The guy I don't respect, shoots it because he's all jacked up on horn and a the allure of a bull elk screaming at him, before he knows what happened he's lost the bull because it was too far back and too hot.

Mark_S
04-03-2012, 05:33 PM
I think Wayne ment the EK, places like Bull river.

Yep and if the Bull river doesn't work out for you just cross the highway and aim for the Gilnockie park area.

snipes13
04-03-2012, 05:37 PM
Yep and if the Bull river doesn't work out for you just cross the highway and aim for the Gilnockie park area.

Awesome sounds good

swampthing
04-03-2012, 05:40 PM
As brambles says, meat care is a consideration. If you are 2 hrs from camp, thats a 4hr round trip. 2 guys can get the elk out in a day. Boning it out is important in hot weather to cool the meat asap. I have built platforms across small creeks, inches above the water and left meat for several days in warm weather. Take lots of game bags. I once shot a large august bull moose up north, 3.5 hrs from where I could get a quad. It took me 5 days to pack that bull off the mountain. I boned out the meat, made a tent out of the hide and worried. Blowflies laid eggs through the game bags but after a lot of trimming I had good meat. Dont let hard work scare you though. Its all about the adventure.

dragonslayer
04-03-2012, 05:47 PM
The Bull River is not a bad bet but, the grizzlys up in that area are a problem ,also if you are going back a fair ways it will get very steep and rugged terrain, plus there are a lot of outfitters hunting the same area with horses, not to mention all the logging trucks, traffic is usually brutal, and usually every camp spot along the river is full .It is a tough go for a novice, as Brambles and a few others have stated the temp in sept is usually about 27 to 30 degrees and not much rain.l

budismyhorse
04-03-2012, 06:09 PM

I think that area is a little crowded lately as well;).

To the OP.... You can't go wrong .... Chose an area with elk habitat and hunt them..... It will probably take you a few years to figure them out but it will be awesome when you finally cash in.

Fisher-Dude
04-03-2012, 06:13 PM
As brambles says, meat care is a consideration. If you are 2 hrs from camp, thats a 4hr round trip. 2 guys can get the elk out in a day. Boning it out is important in hot weather to cool the meat asap. I have built platforms across small creeks, inches above the water and left meat for several days in warm weather. Take lots of game bags. I once shot a large august bull moose up north, 3.5 hrs from where I could get a quad. It took me 5 days to pack that bull off the mountain. I boned out the meat, made a tent out of the hide and worried. Blowflies laid eggs through the game bags but after a lot of trimming I had good meat. Dont let hard work scare you though. Its all about the adventure.

The maggots are excellent for tenderizing elk meat.

Timber-hunt
04-03-2012, 07:20 PM
Don’t forget about the Grizzlies, looking for a free meal ,could be you or the elk they are not picky eaters lol

elknut
04-03-2012, 07:32 PM
Brambles is right!!!!...My butcher told me you have 4hrs to cool the meat or it will bonesour..You dont do like those stupid yankees do ..Back out and retrieve in the morning...Also you better know how to debone an elk..Youre looking at 4 packs..2 each to get that elk out..how far????These arent muledeer..Also you have to be aware of grizzly...They love elk...Be responsible and consider being ethical before shooting...And good luck..

WKCotts
04-03-2012, 07:39 PM
Stick to the East Koots - elk everywhere!

04-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Stick to the East Koots - elk everywhere!

Says the guy who's handel is "West Koots Cotts" with the big ass elk in his avtar!

.300WSMImpact!
04-03-2012, 08:13 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?79177-Elk-calling-seminar-Kelowna

come to kelowna on friday and learn how to call with us

Trophyslayer
04-03-2012, 08:58 PM
I hunt the east koots for elk I have personally taken a bull 2 years in a row. You have to figure out what the elk are doing and the proper calling techniques. Your going to want to watch your back the grizzlies are thick out there both of my elk kills evolved a close encounter 15 yards form a sow on her hind legs with to cubs behind her sure makes your heart beat!!!!

Savage Man
04-03-2012, 09:39 PM
Go north No elk left in the east kootenays

The Dude
04-03-2012, 10:09 PM
Learn how to use a cow chirp call. Don't use a Hoochie Mama, and unless you really know what you're doing, and/or get into a population of rarely hunted bulls, DON'T bugle!
Smart bulls will bugle to locate HUNTERS.
And stay outta McNab :D

Jim Prawn
04-03-2012, 11:40 PM
Hunt deep, hunt hard, hunt high. And dont be dissapointed when you come home with nothing.
JP

hunter1947
04-04-2012, 02:30 AM
If I was going to hunt elk for the first time the EK or other places I would hunt the WK do a research on where the biggest top scoring elk came from and you will find out that hi numbers came from the WK in the last two years now that there is a GOS for them in this region..

goinghunting
04-04-2012, 07:07 AM
You guys look like a bunch of idiots, WK guys saying to go to the EK and EK guys saying to go to the WK. There's no shortage of elk right now its a good time to be an elk hunter there's elk in the both the WK's, EK's and lots in region 8 as well.

If your close to the roads your gonna contend with alot of guys, get off the road and you'll find elk. If the BUll is were your looking at going it deffinetly gets alot of pressure at times but the same as everywhere you put down a little boot leather and its a great place to hunt.

Watch some movies try to get on an elk hunt with someone who's hunted elk and you'll catch on real fast my advice is pay attention to wind it can be your friend or your enemy most bulls won't show themselves until they've got a wiff so use that to your advantage and always be ready for them to circle downwind. Like said earlier in this thread you are trying to be either a bull with cows or a bull trying to steel his cows so play into it, and have fun! I wish you luck!

grizzlydueck
04-04-2012, 07:28 AM
Wow some really good advice on here ! The highest population of elk in bc is up north- the west kootenay's has been hit way to hard and is a waste of time for elk and deer. The east kootenay's is still good, but a better chance of getting a 6 point is up north pink mtn area less hunting pressure more crown land and so many 6points +big deer+huge moose

hunter1947
04-04-2012, 08:30 AM
Wow some really good advice on here ! The highest population of elk in bc is up north- the west kootenay's has been hit way to hard and is a waste of time for elk and deer. The east kootenay's is still good, but a better chance of getting a 6 point is up north pink mtn area less hunting pressure more crown land and so many 6points +big deer+huge moose

Very good advice you give on this thread I could not agree more

elkdom
04-04-2012, 08:37 AM
Reg 7B elk are in serious decline,,,,,,,, Ticks, Wolves ,Road Kill, FN over-hunting, even the odd Elk that have been killed by resident hunters,,,

so going south to the EK this fall :neutral:

Deeboe
04-04-2012, 08:51 AM
Learn to Bugle... you will greatly incase your odds by calling..

grizzlydueck
04-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Buy a power bugle and hoochi moma =Call from every pull out and park the diesel at the edge of every slide, then let her rip ! Thats what most guys do .....i guess thats why there's no elk left ! lol

bugler
04-04-2012, 09:00 AM
Bugle non stop so the rest of us know where you are and can avoid you!!

Mostly just get off the road and use your ears.

300wsmXboltKiller
04-04-2012, 09:52 AM
choose any area u like theres elk everywhere im thinking late sept will be harder to get u an elk as most bulls already have there harem but u could get lucky it is easier to get a bull thats looking for cows than it is to get a bull with 20-40 extra sets of eyes start practicing your calling now elk are very smart and a failed call is a failed hunt i bugle once as locater then i move in try get in elk comfort zone cow calling on your way in if u can get close enough that u here hiscows your in the zone let a bugle rip and enjoy the great feeling of ur hair standing on end i can give u more tips but i think one should get out and practice is best way to get ur elk took me 6 yyears to get my first bull ur elk may appear from nowhere and disapear even faster be ready elk hunting is the best u can have but if your in elk country id have my gun not on my shoulder :) it happens fast

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/thumbs/Muskuwa_Trip_052_640x425_.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=26854&title=muskuwa-trip-052-640x425-&cat=500)

2tins
04-04-2012, 10:03 AM
Pick up some elk hunting dvd's that teach you how to call. Learn how to do both bull and cow calls. Learn what the different calls soud like, challenge bull, locator bull, lost cow, estrus cow, etc. Good luck,2tins.

genockous
04-04-2012, 10:28 AM
Princeton behind the cop shop,also Ek Bull River

BCrams
04-04-2012, 11:16 AM
If I was going to hunt elk for the first time the EK or other places I would hunt the WK do a research on where the biggest top scoring elk came from and you will find out that hi numbers came from the WK in the last two years now that there is a GOS for them in this region..

I think the OP, while high scoring antlers are nice to anyone, most hunters are shooting the first legal bull they have a chance at. Myself included.

I'd recommend the OP to hunt the East Kootenays over the West Kootenays. The West Koots by and large is pretty ugly and tough hunting.

snipes13
04-04-2012, 11:50 AM
Thank you everyone..some awesome advice that will really help!

s0ylentgreen
04-04-2012, 11:56 AM
sorry
what OP mean
omenica/peace?

BCrams
04-04-2012, 12:03 PM
OP = original poster

Omineca has pretty good elk hunting opportunities in the interior but its more or less hit and miss and the guys who are successful tend to be locals who can visit a spot or two elk are known to show up around several times a week until they connect.

I would pick the Peace over the Kootenays for elk myself if only because I live closer to the Peace and would also pick it over the Kootenays.

mtnmanmike
04-04-2012, 01:46 PM
there is a lot of elk to go around in the east kootenays. Get away from the roads. putting a half an hour on your boots will eliminate a lot of the hunting pressure. You don't have to do the "ben johnson" either, a simple 30 min walk. I use a bugle to locate because the sound travels farther up the drainages, but i primarily use a cow call. a regular cow call as well as another with an estrus whine sound. I find the 15th to 25th of september to be my favorite time to hunt elk but have had some great opportunity in the first week of october during the second minor rut. Use google earth to find some nice slides to hunt. Summer lake up off the bull river is a good spot to hunt. Lots of drainages in a small area just make sure you get off the road. Good luck you'll definitely be hooked once you hear the first bull bugle.

snipes13
04-04-2012, 02:29 PM
there is a lot of elk to go around in the east kootenays. Get away from the roads. putting a half an hour on your boots will eliminate a lot of the hunting pressure. You don't have to do the "ben johnson" either, a simple 30 min walk. I use a bugle to locate because the sound travels farther up the drainages, but i primarily use a cow call. a regular cow call as well as another with an estrus whine sound. I find the 15th to 25th of september to be my favorite time to hunt elk but have had some great opportunity in the first week of october during the second minor rut. Use google earth to find some nice slides to hunt. Summer lake up off the bull river is a good spot to hunt. Lots of drainages in a small area just make sure you get off the road. Good luck you'll definitely be hooked once you hear the first bull bugle.

Pretty sure we are going the 23rd to 30th..thanks for the advice..im already hooked and ive yet to hear it in person haha, im sure it will get the adrenaline flowing

coquitlam
04-04-2012, 04:41 PM
Best advise is get the book Elk Tactics by Don Laubach it`s going to get you looking in the right areas
And yes you will be screwed after hearing one

OutWest
04-05-2012, 09:44 AM
Come on out to the WK and keep on driving until you hit the EK. Lots of elk to go around.

The Dude
04-05-2012, 10:10 AM
You guys look like a bunch of idiots, WK guys saying to go to the EK and EK guys saying to go to the WK. There's no shortage of elk right now its a good time to be an elk hunter there's elk in the both the WK's, EK's and lots in region 8 as well.
Thanks for the laugh!
Time for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wi8Fv0AJA4

I hope you get my point.

wolf
04-07-2012, 09:30 PM
Lots of good info on this site here on you questions, recommended books sounds interesting & will probably check it out.
Thanks to the trench the EK has highest pop of Elk per square miles so if you want Elk you should go where they are most.
Your spots sound good with lots other good one near.
Backroad map books about the best I know about for mapping

Calling most important so watch videos on it, lots of strategies can work………..or not.
Mix it up with cow / calf / bull calls but don’t scare em away with a monster bugle to start.
Locator squeal good to start & then Mimic their bugle as they heat up as it drives them hotter
Elk Inc. power bugle my personal favorite for that & they have good DVD but others work fine.
Hoochie mama a good one but I use several for cow / calf including double hot lips & hyper cow in heat call
Cover scent good to use & may help as wind can change fast

Moon should provide some natural light in your time frame if you have to work through the night.
Have your exit strategy well planned out if a bull go,s down.
Find a cool spot in advance if you need cool & put meat by for a bit, steep creek ravines can work.

And if you get frustrated & down from lack of response after several days, wondering if your calling is good ………..….remember you did your homework & the Elk sound just as you or worse & they could easily be there the next day or, just maybe its..…….time to move on & give the area a break for a few days.

Most important remember its all good

Cheers

W

snipes13
04-07-2012, 09:50 PM
Lots of good info on this site here on you questions, recommended books sounds interesting & will probably check it out.
Thanks to the trench the EK has highest pop of Elk per square miles so if you want Elk you should go where they are most.
Your spots sound good with lots other good one near.
Backroad map books about the best I know about for mapping

Calling most important so watch videos on it, lots of strategies can work………..or not.
Mix it up with cow / calf / bull calls but don’t scare em away with a monster bugle to start.
Locator squeal good to start & then Mimic their bugle as they heat up as it drives them hotter
Elk Inc. power bugle my personal favorite for that & they have good DVD but others work fine.
Hoochie mama a good one but I use several for cow / calf including double hot lips & hyper cow in heat call
Cover scent good to use & may help as wind can change fast

Moon should provide some natural light in your time frame if you have to work through the night.
Have your exit strategy well planned out if a bull go,s down.
Find a cool spot in advance if you need cool & put meat by for a bit, steep creek ravines can work.

And if you get frustrated & down from lack of response after several days, wondering if your calling is good ………..….remember you did your homework & the Elk sound just as you or worse & they could easily be there the next day or, just maybe its..…….time to move on & give the area a break for a few days.

Most important remember its all good

Cheers

W

Thank you for the tips.I just realized yesterday that its a full moon on the 30th....What is your thought on going out during the full moon???

wolf
04-07-2012, 10:54 PM
I prefer hunting the first to last quarter........ usually lots of action
But I got my great bull on a full moon late afternoon near end Sept. & the light helped us 3 dealing with it through the night.
Things were cooling down at night & we were high up so even cooler........... thank goodness
Put it in a cool ravine for a few hrs while we caught a few hours sleep & rushed it to a cold storage
I can not imagine boning & packing out in the heat for too many hours, only so much time to do it

W

hunter1947
04-08-2012, 02:09 AM
Thank you for the tips.I just realized yesterday that its a full moon on the 30th....What is your thought on going out during the full moon???

Animals will be there lots to do with luck sometimes a person can get lucky on a full moon sometimes not ,I found on a full moon that your first hour of daylight or the last hour of daylight is the best time to get lucky..

mtnmanmike
04-09-2012, 08:17 AM
I don't worry to much much about the moon. The elk's biological clock always ticks around the same time every year, give or take a few days. They still need to get the "job" done to have healthy calves for the following years winter.

MacMtnHunter
04-10-2012, 12:50 PM
Ya there are lots of good places, sounds like you have something one pinned down...my advice would be,
- pound the ground, get out of your truck and off the road, this increases your chances ten-fold of getting a bull, you'll find the spots the elk are using and you might even find an active wallow/mineral lick = good places to concentrate your efforts
- use your optics if you have them (glass tons,get to a good vantage spot and try to locate a legal bull before going in after elk) day break and dusk are the best times to see elk, however they do move around in the timber during mid day so you might catch a glimpse then
- go easy on your bugle, i've seen more bulls scared by guys playing their tin horn than anything else (use cow calls, they work good at drawing bulls in close)
- try to plan your stalks instead of just running in with you pants down, elk are very smart and are evolving more and more to deal with hunting pressure, I've had many bulls sneak right in without making a sound until they are within 50yards
- try different set-ups, the same one doesn't work every time
- KNOW YOUR WIND!!!! Bulls especially will circle you until they get your wind, if you can, find a pintch point that will force the bull to come in without detecting your scent... don't bother with scent eliminating products cause they don't work, use a two man method of a shooter and a caller beyond the shooters location to help draw the bull in close
- know that you can be aggressive with bulls and know that you might have to move in quick on one (this might mean taking a chance and blowing a stalk)
- Last point would be is to just get out there and try it all out. The more time you spend out there the more you will understand about how elk move and act. There is no single way to hunt elk, they are smart and will out smart you time and time again but every once in a while you get lucky:)

04-10-2012, 01:57 PM

Snipes,,,,,,,, Avoid the full moon like the plague!
Animals are active all night on bright nights.

elkdom
04-11-2012, 07:34 AM
Snipes,,,,,,,, Avoid the full moon like the plague!
Animals are active all night on bright nights.

x2,, and during a full moon work hard from late morning and mid afternoon, for Elk near wallows, water holes and bedding areas, most elk hunters give up just after daylight, and then return to push elk in the late afternoon,,,,:wink:

and during late morning and afternoon elk hunts, use cow chirps and lost cow calls, discreetly, don't over-do-it! only call a couple times every few minutes!, pay attention to the wind, don't be TOO quiet, those Elk will still hear you coming, but be suspect YOU are a predator, do NOT follow elk tracks sign to where they are GOING but rather follow elk tracks/sign to where they CAME FROM!,, and DO NOT BUGLE during Mid day stalking the timber, ONLY bugle if a REAL BULL Elk responds your cow calls,

do NOT bugle during mid day, or the Elk will know IMMEDIATELY,,,,,,,,, there is an IDIOT in the bush,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

GoatGuy
04-12-2012, 12:05 PM
I don't worry to much much about the moon. The elk's biological clock always ticks around the same time every year, give or take a few days. They still need to get the "job" done to have healthy calves for the following years winter.

Sounds like somebody that knows a thing or two about elk.

lawlu
04-12-2012, 12:16 PM
Get up high and use those binos.....glass glass glass.

elkdom
04-12-2012, 05:09 PM

if you think knowing " a-thing-or-two",, is sufficient to successfully harvest 6 point bulls year after year ?,

then you are about to realize "knowing-a-thing-or two", in the real world is S.F.A. !,

when it comes to knowing elk habits,,,,,,,,,,

OutWest
04-12-2012, 05:41 PM
if you think knowing " a-thing-or-two",, is sufficient to successfully harvest 6 point bulls year after year ?,

then you are about to realize "knowing-a-thing-or two", in the real world is S.F.A. !,

when it comes to knowing elk habits,,,,,,,,,,

Either way, they're both right about the rut.

elkdom
04-12-2012, 09:23 PM
Either way, they're both right about the rut.

during normal warm September days, during the elk rut and during a full moon, the elk seek the most intense dense coolest bush, AND WALLOWS on steep north slopes they can find !,

during the rut, a mature 1000 pound bull elk is running about as HOT as a truck engine with a blown head-gasket,

during a full moon the rut WILL go on as always but the vast majority of elk movement and RUT activity WILL go on after the sun sets, until near first light,,,

my own experience, hunting elk over a period of a bit more than 30 years and harvesting about 25 Elk MYSELF during those 30 years,,,,,I have seen the same thing over and over, for most of these years hunted ,

DURING THE FULL MOON, ELK ARE VERY MUCH LESS LIKELY TO BE FOUND IN OPEN PLACES DURING DAYLIGHT HOURS,, RUT ON OR NOT !

for novice Elk hunters, the full moon is the least likely time to you are going to score an Elk ! :cry:

Ryan Olson
04-12-2012, 09:35 PM
Check out the east kootenays behind invermere. MU 4-26

GoatGuy
04-13-2012, 12:23 AM
during normal warm September days, during the elk rut and during a full moon, the elk seek the most intense dense coolest bush, AND WALLOWS on steep north slopes they can find !,

during the rut, a mature 1000 pound bull elk is running about as HOT as a truck engine with a blown head-gasket,

during a full moon the rut WILL go on as always but the vast majority of elk movement and RUT activity WILL go on after the sun sets, until near first light,,,

my own experience, hunting elk over a period of a bit more than 30 years and harvesting about 25 Elk MYSELF during those 30 years,,,,,I have seen the same thing over and over, for most of these years hunted ,

DURING THE FULL MOON, ELK ARE VERY MUCH LESS LIKELY TO BE FOUND IN OPEN PLACES DURING DAYLIGHT HOURS,, RUT ON OR NOT !

for novice Elk hunters, the full moon is the least likely time to you are going to score an Elk ! :cry:

The bulls don't control the rut, the cows do. If there's a hot cow near a bull he will scream his head off until he breeds her, whether it's 1:30AM or PM.

Just like most hunting, the least likely time for any hunters to 'score an elk' is when they're sleeping in camp.

GoatGuy
04-13-2012, 12:25 AM
x2,, and during a full moon work hard from late morning and mid afternoon, for Elk near wallows, water holes and bedding areas, most elk hunters give up just after daylight, and then return to push elk in the late afternoon,,,,:wink:

and during late morning and afternoon elk hunts, use cow chirps and lost cow calls, discreetly, don't over-do-it! only call a couple times every few minutes!, pay attention to the wind, don't be TOO quiet, those Elk will still hear you coming, but be suspect YOU are a predator, do NOT follow elk tracks sign to where they are GOING but rather follow elk tracks/sign to where they CAME FROM!,, and DO NOT BUGLE during Mid day stalking the timber, ONLY bugle if a REAL BULL Elk responds your cow calls,

do NOT bugle during mid day, or the Elk will know IMMEDIATELY,,,,,,,,, there is an IDIOT in the bush,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I always get a good laugh at this stuff.

In all your experience how many bulls have you watched breed a cow or court a hot cow?

hunter1947
04-13-2012, 01:48 AM
Bull Elk in Rut..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDokOPv3xyM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xthdINGItVE

elkdom
04-13-2012, 08:51 AM
I always get a good laugh at this stuff.

In all your experience how many bulls have you watched breed a cow or court a hot cow?

how many 6 point Bull elk have YOU killed in the last 20 years "GoatGuy ???,

and YES,I have watched several big Bulls court or breed cows in estrous, in fact KILLED a couple of Bulls just about the time their eyes started to roll from sexual fulfillment , lol and that was either very early just after daybreak or in the last minutes before dark,,

and I have had as many as 5 MATURE bulls within 60 yards of me all grunting , bugling, screaming and taking turns bumping horns and generally going nuts until I pulled the trigger, killing one of them, sending the rest into a stampede for safety,,,,, have YOU ?

elkdom
04-13-2012, 09:12 AM
The bulls don't control the rut, the cows do. If there's a hot cow near a bull he will scream his head off until he breeds her, whether it's 1:30AM or PM.

Just like most hunting, the least likely time for any hunters to 'score an elk' is when they're sleeping in camp.

never in conservation or in a post have I ever stated anything that would suggest "bulls are in control of the rut ",,,

and one other fact, "some elk ruts can go on and there is RARELY a BUGLE to be heard for weeks on end,,,and killing Bull elk is DAM tough when there isn't ANY bugling happening !

and SOME people would NOT be aware of that because they are TOO busy PLAGIARIZING the INTERNET with useless information they have no real understanding in regards to ! this describes your verbal drivel goatguy !

GoatGuy
04-13-2012, 12:16 PM
how many 6 point Bull elk have YOU killed in the last 20 years "GoatGuy ???,

and YES,I have watched several big Bulls court or breed cows in estrous, in fact KILLED a couple of Bulls just about the time their eyes started to roll from sexual fulfillment , lol and that was either very early just after daybreak or in the last minutes before dark,,

and I have had as many as 5 MATURE bulls within 60 yards of me all grunting , bugling, screaming and taking turns bumping horns and generally going nuts until I pulled the trigger, killing one of them, sending the rest into a stampede for safety,,,,, have YOU ?

Usually don't buy elk tags, makes it tough to kill them. Haved called 'one or two' in, during the day with a full moon mind you.:mrgreen:

04-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Hey guys arent we supposed to fight with the rookie who first posted with the "i wanna good elk spot" thread???

Sorry snipes13, im just buggin them

snipes13
04-13-2012, 12:39 PM
haha all good 835. But i didnt ask for any spots, just helpful tips on the hunt itself

04-13-2012, 01:14 PM
I know!
Id help ya if i could but ive gone "Elk hunting" three seasons now and ive yet to see a bloody elk!

I suck at Elk

Husky7mm
04-13-2012, 02:11 PM
Elk hate trucks and quads, so if you can't be in the back country with a horse or mule, find areas where trucks and quads can't go. Even a road with a washed out bridge or a bunch of trees blown over can make all the difference on when and if the elk are in the area. Don't cut them out, walk!

Tuckster
04-13-2012, 02:32 PM
Given that you need to hike a ways in to get some good hunting.......how do you get the animal out when you get him? Backpack? Mule?

Also, is 6-point bull a minimum requirement? - sounds like a foolish question i know, but totally new to Elk hunting.

Husky7mm
04-13-2012, 03:08 PM
Tuckster you got to read a regs it different everywhere for requirements. Elk are big heavy animals and thats what stops most people from being succesful consitantly. Elk hunting is best to do with friends. You will know who your friends are when you got elk gore all over you and a few hour pack out of some grizzly hole in the dark lol. Its best to be shown how rather than told how, lots of books, and videos on it though.

Husky7mm
04-13-2012, 03:10 PM
Hmm I dont know sounds like some BS, I think his name should be mtnmanhooey myself.....:-P

Tuckster
04-13-2012, 03:27 PM
So basically you have to quarter it up and pack it out eh? I've had to do that in some pretty narly places with moose in ontario. Any guesses on the weight of a quarter? Moose quarters can push 200 a piece, so the big guys you have to two man hammock them out - Elk quarters around 100-150?

Husky7mm
04-13-2012, 03:37 PM
Oh, well if you know how to quarter and pack a moose then an elk is smaller or equal. I though you were greener. They are less than 150 on average and less agian with the bones out. YOu will be in steeper country, pray you don't have to go back up first.....

OutWest
04-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Packing it out with your hunting crew is one of the best parts of the entire hunt! The adrenaline gets flowing and you realize the next day just how hard it was. I've had to make more than 1 trip before and going back up once you drop the first load off at the bottom isn't quite as appealing. All in all it is a great experience though.

elkdom
04-13-2012, 06:06 PM
Usually don't buy elk tags, makes it tough to kill them. Haved called 'one or two' in, during the day with a full moon mind you.:mrgreen:

well that certainly qualifies you as an elk killing expert,,,,,,,,,:?

spend more time in Banff or Jasper and you can learn to call them in and feed them lettuce leaves and carrots, while sitting in your car,,(during a full moon)

GoatGuy
04-13-2012, 06:35 PM
well that certainly qualifies you as an elk killing expert,,,,,,,,,:?

spend more time in Banff or Jasper and you can learn to call them in and feed them lettuce leaves and carrots, while sitting in your car,,(during a full moon)

Just because a person doesn't buy an elk tag doesn't mean they don't know how to hunt elk or how they behave in the rut. It's apparent that experience and the number of kills certainly doesn't mean one knows how to hunt them either.

My hunting partner has a couple 350+ bulls nailed to his tack shed and a pile of others. Always get a kick out of guys like you. Ran into one at a trailhead last year at the end of sept. the elk aren't rutting he said. Almost as if the cows are going to drop in july for 2012 Should have told that to the 5 bulls we had going the next day. Same thing two years ago, ran into another nimrod that said we needed a frost to get the rut going. Should have told that to the two 330+ bulls we filmed. Hahaha.

See elk more as a piece of meat than antlers. Have video of plenty of bulls, called lots in, just never tripped the trigger. I wouldn't dare ask you how many bulls over 350 you've killed or passed up, or 330 for that matter.

The big bull hunters- love it.

elkdom
04-13-2012, 07:36 PM
Just because a person doesn't buy an elk tag doesn't mean they don't know how to hunt elk or how they behave in the rut. It's apparent that experience and the number of kills certainly doesn't mean one knows how to hunt them either.

My hunting partner has a couple 350+ bulls nailed to his tack shed and a pile of others. Always get a kick out of guys like you. Ran into one at a trailhead last year at the end of sept. the elk aren't rutting he said. Almost as if the cows are going to drop in july for 2012 Should have told that to the 5 bulls we had going the next day. Same thing two years ago, ran into another nimrod that said we needed a frost to get the rut going. Should have told that to the two 330+ bulls we filmed. Hahaha.

See elk more as a piece of meat than antlers. Have video of plenty of bulls, called lots in, just never tripped the trigger. I wouldn't dare ask you how many bulls over 350 you've killed or passed up, or 330 for that matter.

The big bull hunters- love it.

so as I understand it ??? ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you consider yourself,,,,,,,, more of an "Elk Whisperer "

so what exactly do you do with Goats ??

Ferenc
04-13-2012, 08:01 PM
And if I can add...never ever if your using a quad to get into an area from camp...call as soon as you shut it off!!!!!

mtnmanmike
04-14-2012, 07:01 PM
is a hooey a good thing or a bad thing?

GoatGuy
04-14-2012, 08:00 PM
so as I understand it ??? ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you consider yourself,,,,,,,, more of an "Elk Whisperer "

so what exactly do you do with Goats ??
It's a matter of applying their biology to hunting tactics. Nothing new or outlandish, just understand how the real thing works and repeat. Don't consider myself as any kind of elk hunter.

GoatGuy
04-14-2012, 08:03 PM
Hmm I dont know sounds like some BS, I think his name should be mtnmanhooey myself.....:-P
Too bad; you wonder why you can't track down a half decent Muley.

OutWest
04-14-2012, 08:10 PM
It's a matter of applying their biology to hunting tactics. Nothing new or outlandish, just understand how the real thing works and repeat. Don't consider myself as any kind of elk hunter.

I beg to differ.

GoatGuy
04-14-2012, 08:38 PM
I beg to differ.
Apparently you have to shoot elk to know how to hunt them.

OutWest
04-14-2012, 08:45 PM
Apparently you have to shoot elk to know how to hunt them.

Just another day on HBC.

Beauty bull by the way.

GoatGuy
04-14-2012, 09:05 PM
Just another day on HBC.

Beauty bull by the way.

Got grief cause it's too tough.

proguide66
04-14-2012, 09:39 PM
I've never counted how many elk I have been responsible for helping into freezer wrap but its been a 'few'.
To be honest , I have never paid attention to moon phases myself as I have had to be out there hunting every day no matter what. Unless your gainfully un employed , you more than likely hunting 'when you can' so dont sweat more than you already have to,waste of time.
I dont claim to be an expert of anything but here's some things I have learned for myself.
If you can avoid it , try not to bugle. I have pulled bulls from cow calls 90% more than bugling.
I have also pushed big bulls away rather than come in by bugling too far away from him. " I think' a smart bull is going to avoid fighting when theres an easy 'out' with his girls.
If you can , listen for elk first instead of starting your day by calling.Sneak as close as possible to them before calling. Bugling has pulled them to me from close to the herd as opposed far off ( example 400 yrds plus).
Its tough to call em in when it warms and they bed down. 2pm/on action picks up.
You CAN kill a rutting elk at ANY TIME of the day or moon phase , warm weather or cold.Some days are just better than others.
I have found that when a bull is pissed and thinking of kicking my ass , interupting him while he bugles with your wn bugle works good as well , dont give him any respect.
Dont be insecure about how your bugle sounds , every bull sounds different and some of the noises I have heard coming from them can be quite bizzar.
Make your shot count , a wounded elk seems to have super natural powers to take a beating and go for MILES.Probably the toughest game animal I have witnessed for shrugging off broken bones and making it over hills..and hills....
If you get a bull reacting and calling , mimic him to sound ,length and pausing , you wont find a better teacher and 'if' you say to him what he's saying to you its more than likely going to piss him off more.
Dont get too worked up about 'science or 'theories' ect , they arent the toughest animal around to hunt.
Also , if you can , shoot em near stone sheep as they shouldnt be there in the first place and are more than likely a big blame for fewer sheep numbers!

OutWest
04-14-2012, 09:45 PM
Got grief cause it's too tough.

I'd gladly take toughness for a set of bone like that once or twice. Tough crowd.

Jelvis
04-14-2012, 11:08 PM
Hunt where the elk are when you are hunting
Hunt early to late
Hunt rock slide areas
Hunt behind road closures
Walk the road in a ways in the dark
When light enough to shoot look for elk
Use call in the rut to locate a bull
Be good at long range shooting over 300 yards
Know how to dress and prepare hundreds of pounds of warm meat
Flies, hornets, and grizzly to look out for when packing out.
Have plan for a cooler in nearest town
Jp Moregun

oldkoot
04-15-2012, 07:35 AM
Listen to what Goat Guy and Pro guide are telling you...........and you will do well grasshopper.

You gotta be out there to have a chance.

elkdom
04-15-2012, 08:28 AM
Elk can be going strong, bugling,making rubs and scrapes, bulls gathering harems and battling each other in a frenzy for dominance with cows, suddenly a weather front moves in and low pressure and heavy rains begins, the rain and the wind( strong winds disrupt elk severely during the rut) the elk will suddenly vanish, if the rains continue the elk will fade away to hiding places, they can spend days as much as weeks, in a very small area, virtually impossible to locate, unless YOU have discovered that HIDING ZONE on prior hunts,,,

during these times, there will be NO Bugling, there will be NO movement, there will be NO elk moving

oldkoot
04-15-2012, 05:17 PM
Have sat drenched in many a rainstorm , and called bulls in to point blank.

If you are out there........there is ALWAYS a chance.

elkdom
04-15-2012, 05:25 PM
Have sat drenched in many a rainstorm , and called bulls in to point blank.

If you are out there........there is ALWAYS a chance.

elk activity generally is nil ,during extended wet, windy weather

anything is possible if your out there, but in most cases, extended periods of rain and wind shuts down bugling elk,

on more than ONE occasion,we have shot moose while several guys sat around camp at noon having lunch, whats your point ?

oldkoot
04-15-2012, 08:34 PM
My point is never say never.

.300WSMImpact!
04-15-2012, 10:36 PM
I have had great elk activity in the rain, I cant say if heavy wind has stopped anything or not

OutWest
04-15-2012, 10:42 PM
That can't be, apparently rain stops the rut (rolling eyes).

elkdom
04-16-2012, 07:33 AM

over 30 years of hunting elk with 25 harvested 6 point or better bulls hanging on my walls and storage shed, your smart-a$$ eye rolling really makes me laugh, actually amuses me, you being a mere runt when it comes to any hunting experience,,

if you can kill 6 point bull elk consistently in a GOS for 10 or 20 years ? you may have something to say I would pay attention to ?

as for now, you are a runt,

Husky7mm
04-16-2012, 09:15 AM
is a hooey a good thing or a bad thing?

Hooey is an other word for B.S. buddy I was just ribbing you. I know YOU know elk!

04-16-2012, 09:21 AM
Has anybody said where to go yet?

Husky7mm
04-16-2012, 09:21 AM
Too bad; you wonder why you can't track down a half decent Muley.
Dont be so serious all the time. Cant you hear the sarcasm in my typing.....

Husky7mm
04-16-2012, 09:27 AM

You go to where the elk are:p:lol:

Husky7mm
04-16-2012, 09:28 AM
Oh and take a few rubber bungie cords in you pack, works great for lashing a quarter to your frame pack!

04-16-2012, 09:35 AM
You go to where the elk are:p:lol:

There in lyes my problem!

Weatherby Fan
04-16-2012, 09:39 AM
Oh and take a few rubber bungie cords in you pack, works great for lashing a quarter to your frame pack!

That's what I like about you Husky7mm.......your a real gentleman when comes to offering good solid advice to a fellow HBC member who is just starting out :wink:

snipes13
04-16-2012, 09:40 AM
I didnt ask. I already have a couple spots I'm going to check out thanks to google earth. People work long and hard to find their secret spots and im not about to try and steal one from someone haha. I have some awesome advice from everyone now, much appreciated, now it's up to me to find my spot. It wouldn't be any fun if I was told exactly where the elk are

Husky7mm
04-16-2012, 10:38 AM
That's what I like about you Husky7mm.......your a real gentleman when comes to offering good solid advice to a fellow HBC member who is just starting out :wink:

Ya well even a blind squirel finds a nut everynow and then, just dont shoot MY elk hahaha:lol:

mtnmanmike
04-16-2012, 10:43 AM
I know you are just kidding. Never heard the term before. I thought it would be a good one to add to the vocabulary. B/C a good story has to have some b.s in it to make it more interesting.

elkdom
04-16-2012, 04:05 PM

here is something for you to try and comprehend,,,it may work ? it may not but I am offering anyway,,:?

here is Quote from a book by Hartt Wixom ,World renowned Elk Hunter and Guide,

Hartt Wixom's Book Titled "Elk and Elk Hunting" is a go-to book of knowledge about elk hunting, considered by 1000's of wanna be Elk hunters that have read and studied the contents,,
this book is considered The Bible of Elk hunters for many generations,

here is a quote from Chapter12,page 164 of "Elk and Elk Hunting" by Hartt Wixom

"suggest putting your 'ACME Guaranteed Elk Call Away. day after day of wet or windy weather can dampen a Bull's sense of sexual adventure. It can delay the Rut for weeks. I remember a one particular wet autumn when monsoons struck the mountains for three weeks and scarcely any bugling could be heard at all. There is NO good reason for bugling at such times, and in fact doing so could stamp you for what you are, an imposter !. Obviously , you'll have a better chance if you stay silent in such circumstances. There also is the slim chance you may sound like an honest threat to a herd bull, which will then quickly and silently herd his cows away" [end quote !]

I learned this many years before I was gifted this book about ten years ago, and then read some of my own findings/observations/lessons learned within this book, after reading this Elk and Elk Hunting book by Hartt Wixom.
I found many, many invaluable bits of info both new and many already realized ,by myself over many years of chasing elk,

you want some real GOSPEL on Elk Hunting ? ,,,,,,, then read his book !

or you can listen to a bunch of Internet-wanna-bee-yahoo's that may have killed an elk or 2 by accident or just simple good luck,,,,,,,,,,,,,

kootenayelkslayer
04-16-2012, 09:15 PM
over 30 years of hunting elk with 25 harvested 6 point or better bulls hanging on my walls and storage shed, your smart-a$$ eye rolling really makes me laugh, actually amuses me, you being a mere runt when it comes to any hunting experience,,

if you can kill 6 point bull elk consistently in a GOS for 10 or 20 years ? you may have something to say I would pay attention to ?

as for now, you are a runt,

With attitudes like this, it's a wonder why more young people aren't getting into hunting these days....:neutral:

goinghunting
04-16-2012, 09:25 PM
With attitudes like this, it's a wonder why more young people aren't getting into hunting these days....:neutral:

I say good on ya elkdom for putting him in his place!

kootenayelkslayer
04-16-2012, 09:35 PM
Heavy rains and wind might drive elk into hiding and reduce their rutting activity in the open areas, but it doesn't actually stop the rut.Keep in mind one of the best days for finding elk out in the open slides is the day after an extended period of crappy weather.

OutWest
04-16-2012, 09:40 PM
I say good on ya elkdom for putting him in his place!

He didn't put anyone in their place. He's too caught up in himself to even consider listening to what mtnmanmike, GG or oldkoot have said. Of course, that's because he's the only one on here who knows how to consistently put 6pt bull elk on the ground.

GoatGuy
04-17-2012, 12:33 AM
here is something for you to try and comprehend,,,it may work ? it may not but I am offering anyway,,:?

here is Quote from a book by Hartt Wixom ,World renowned Elk Hunter and Guide,

Hartt Wixom's Book Titled "Elk and Elk Hunting" is a go-to book of knowledge about elk hunting, considered by 1000's of wanna be Elk hunters that have read and studied the contents,,
this book is considered The Bible of Elk hunters for many generations,

here is a quote from Chapter12,page 164 of "Elk and Elk Hunting" by Hartt Wixom

"suggest putting your 'ACME Guaranteed Elk Call Away. day after day of wet or windy weather can dampen a Bull's sense of sexual adventure. It can delay the Rut for weeks. I remember a one particular wet autumn when monsoons struck the mountains for three weeks and scarcely any bugling could be heard at all. There is NO good reason for bugling at such times, and in fact doing so could stamp you for what you are, an imposter !. Obviously , you'll have a better chance if you stay silent in such circumstances. There also is the slim chance you may sound like an honest threat to a herd bull, which will then quickly and silently herd his cows away" [end quote !]

I learned this many years before I was gifted this book about ten years ago, and then read some of my own findings/observations/lessons learned within this book, after reading this Elk and Elk Hunting book by Hartt Wixom.
I found many, many invaluable bits of info both new and many already realized ,by myself over many years of chasing elk,

you want some real GOSPEL on Elk Hunting ? ,,,,,,, then read his book !

or you can listen to a bunch of Internet-wanna-bee-yahoo's that may have killed an elk or 2 by accident or just simple good luck,,,,,,,,,,,,,

So the rut can be delayed for weeks every year?

So some years the calves drop in May and others they drop in July? Very, very interesting concept although it's in direct conflict with science.

mtnmanmike
04-17-2012, 07:02 AM
He didn't put anyone in their place. He's too caught up in himself to even consider listening to what mtnmanmike, GG or oldkoot have said. Of course, that's because he's the only one on here who knows how to consistently put 6pt bull elk on the ground.

I guess the 15+ elk I have been directly connected to on our elk hunting in the last five years doesn't count as enough experience to elkdom only he has enough experience to tell anyone how to properly elk hunt.

OutWest
04-17-2012, 07:21 AM
I guess the 15+ elk I have been directly connected to on our elk hunting in the last five years doesn't count as enough experience to elkdom only he has enough experience to tell anyone how to properly elk hunt.

Sorry Mike, less than 30 years experience just makes you an "Internet-wanna-bee-yahoo".

oldkoot
04-17-2012, 07:51 AM
I also apologize for doubting greatness. I have not studied that book which I am sure is full of usefull info. I only have 45 years of elk hunting expierience so I am a bit of a novice. I have never kept score and lost track of the number many years ago. I have always had a 6pt rule imposed on myself and my Sweety and I know she has atleast 5 possibly 6 6pts like I said I don't keep score. Elkdum. get over yourself.

PS. Compared to some of the guys on here that submit their pics and not just arrogance, I am still a beginner.

Husky7mm
04-17-2012, 08:25 AM
So the rut can be delayed for weeks every year?

So some years the calves drop in May and others they drop in July? Very, very interesting concept although it's in direct conflict with science.

While I am a firm believer that the dirty deeds are going on weather its hot or cold snowing or raining, windy or calm. The rut activity seems to go on from late august-late october and yet athe calves for the most part are born around the same time every year. ( Right around the same time you start seeing alot of bears, go figure)
What do you think? Some cows carry their calves longer/ shorter in-order for this to occur?

mtnmanmike
04-17-2012, 08:36 AM
From what i have read and learned is that the primary time when cows are bred is in the last half of september. The bulls then take a short break, check there cows to make sure they have been bred and then continue into a second "minor" rut (around the first week of october) to breed cows that didn't "catch." They will then travel more to pursue other cows in the area that weren't bred and haven't caught. That is why primarily 90% of the calves are born at the same time each year.

Weatherby Fan
04-17-2012, 08:50 AM
The cow Elks gestational period is 240-260 days so there is a 20 day variance in the first breeding so if there is a secondary rut a month later than the 1st rut you could have roughly a 2 months difference in the timing of birth on some calves.

elkdom
04-17-2012, 09:45 AM

I have also have put several 3 pointers and some antler-less on the ground over 30 years of hunting elk,,,
not to mention 20 years guiding non-resident elk hunting know-it-alls, which would account for 35 or 40 successful guided elk hunts/elk kills,

so go ahead and "spew" some more ignorance, I have taken dozens of new-bees out to learn to find and kill an elk,,

of these ALL the smart-a$$e$ get a short walk back to the truck and told to piss off !:mrgreen:

goinghunting
04-17-2012, 10:00 AM

I'm not talking about them I'm talking about you, every thread I read you pop in and out of with stupid comments seems all you try to do is stur the pot? Why not add something usefull to these threads rather then turning them all into fights! This thread started with great info then your comments turned it into a stupid cock fight and its now spun off on a tangent.....

Husky7mm
04-17-2012, 10:34 AM
The cow Elks gestational period is 240-260 days so there is a 20 day variance in the first breeding so if there is a secondary rut a month later than the 1st rut you could have roughly a 2 months difference in the timing of birth on some calves.

You think there is a 2 mths spread between the oldest and youngest calves? I dont but could easily be wrong...

Heres another thought, might not the intensity of the rut and rutting activity be related to the area's USUAL weather or the lack there off.....as opposed to one set of rules. I am not much of an elk hunter but I would expect the roosie's along the coast to act differently in a month long down pour than the RM elk of south eastern BC and different again of that of the northern elk. Just a thought.....

Weatherby Fan
04-17-2012, 10:45 AM
You think there is a 2 mths spread between the oldest and youngest calves? I dont but could easily be wrong...

Heres another thought, might not the intensity of the rut and rutting activity be related to the area's USUAL weather or the lack there off.....as opposed to one set of rules. I am not much of an elk hunter but I would expect the roosie's along the coast to act differently in a month long down pour than the RM elk of south eastern BC and
different again of that of the northern elk. Just a thought.....

Hey Husky
The powers to be say 20 day variance on the gestational period add in a month between heats on the cows so it is possible That there could be up to a 2 month difference in birth dates,I'm not positive on this I'm only relaying what I've read.
WF

elkdom
04-17-2012, 10:52 AM
important tools for an elk hunt,,,, good boots, detailed topographical map or expert knowledge of local terrain layered clothing, NOT necessarily camo dependable compass trail marking ribbon some kind of elk calls, cow and bull,(if you forget your calls, blow into a blade of green grass between your thumbs ,will work as cow call and brnig in a bull) have done this,, a sharp knife and light weight hatchet or bone saw binos weapon of choice,,,,,,,( 90% of my elk were killed at less than 50 yards ) spend lots of time listening and observing sign, concentrate on close by, look for elk parts, not a complete elk or elk silhouette find tracks ? then explore WHERE the elk are coming from,,,,and to WHERE they are bedding/hiding,this will help you find them next morning or afternoon, elk are HABITUAL, they use rutting and feeding and watering zones year after year and week in, week out, and they always come back,,, just how long will vary once you learn to find them, it gets quite routine

elkdom
04-17-2012, 11:12 AM
Hey Husky
The powers to be say 20 day variance on the gestational period add in a month between heats on the cows so it is possible That there could be up to a 2 month difference in birth dates,I'm not positive on this I'm only relaying what I've read.
WF

consider domestic cattle,,,,, some ranchers herds 'calve' in late February or March, but another nearby rancher with same Breed of cattle has his herd calving in May or June,

and what does the breeding Bull have to do with this, besides the obvious ?,, consult with a rancher

mtnmanmike
04-17-2012, 01:09 PM
the rancher determines at what time he wants to kick out his bulls to breed his cows that is why domestic calves can be and are born at different times of the year. The rancher ultimately decides when he would generally like to have his calves "hit the ground."

GoatGuy
04-17-2012, 02:11 PM
Most of the cows are bred around the same time and will drop the majority within the same ~10 day period. There are two primary reasons for this.

1. To have the calves hit the ground right around green-up, which increases their chances of winter survival significantly (mom's putting on weight, milk is extremely nutrituous etc).
2. To litter the forest with 'fresh meat' so that the predators that have it figured out don't eat all of them as neo-nates.

There are variations and of course cows (usually older associated with body condition) which come in to heat earlier, others which come in later (two year olds). Also yearlings can come in to heat and then there's a second estrus for anything that got missed, which will get things stirred up. When you have extremely low sex ratios or poor habitat, things can get stretched out in terms of breeding, which will increase bull mortality due to a long drawn-out rut, and high calf mortality as neo-nates as well as over-winter due to predation.

Granted, I haven't read any books on elk hunting.

GoatGuy
04-17-2012, 02:12 PM
consider domestic cattle,,,,, some ranchers herds 'calve' in late February or March, but another nearby rancher with same Breed of cattle has his herd calving in May or June,

and what does the breeding Bull have to do with this, besides the obvious ?,, consult with a rancher

Subtle difference between cattle and elk when it comes to breeding.

elkdom
04-17-2012, 03:12 PM
Subtle difference between cattle and elk when it comes to breeding.

un-bred cow elk during the first estrus ,will come into estrus again at a later date,

not uncommon to see a spring calf elk 3 times the size of other calf elk in same vicinity,,

and same thing with moose is very common,,,,,,,,

Good2bCanadian
04-17-2012, 03:30 PM
I was a rookie ( still am ) on our successfully elk hunt last year.
We hunted for 5 days straight in a 3 point area without a single call. On our 6 day we decided to change up our tactics and headed to a 6 point area.
When we heard our 6 point it was soo quite of a bugle. Almost like he was quietly testing the waters to see what was ther. We responded with a very faint hoochie mama, and all hell broke loose. He bugled like crazy loud.
Came in charging. Winded us and faded back a bit. We bugled back no response. We hoochied back, major response again. 30 minutes of cat and mouse, and 6 point in the ground. Most awesome thing I've ever been a part of.
Anyhow just my 2 bits. Keep learning guys! I am!

GoatGuy
04-17-2012, 03:31 PM
un-bred cow elk during the first estrus ,will come into estrus again at a later date,

not uncommon to see a spring calf elk 3 times the size of other calf elk in same vicinity,,

and same thing with moose is very common,,,,,,,,

Do cattle stop rutting when it rains too?

OutWest
04-17-2012, 05:29 PM
I'm not talking about them I'm talking about you, every thread I read you pop in and out of with stupid comments seems all you try to do is stur the pot? Why not add something usefull to these threads rather then turning them all into fights! This thread started with great info then your comments turned it into a stupid cock fight and its now spun off on a tangent.....

I was aware of who you were talking about. A quick scan through my posts and you will see how far off your comment actually is.

OutWest
04-17-2012, 05:43 PM
I have also have put several 3 pointers and some antler-less on the ground over 30 years of hunting elk,,,
not to mention 20 years guiding non-resident elk hunting know-it-alls, which would account for 35 or 40 successful guided elk hunts/elk kills,

so go ahead and "spew" some more ignorance, I have taken dozens of new-bees out to learn to find and kill an elk,,

of these ALL the smart-a$$e$ get a short walk back to the truck and told to piss off !:mrgreen:

Wasn't at all saying you don't know your stuff, you just fail to seem to realize there are others who do too.

elkdom
04-17-2012, 10:58 PM

you are an irritating pi$$ ant, although you have no real experience to share, you can continuously post hundreds of useless information threads and comments,

there have been days when I counted about 20 of your "new postings", never do bother to read any, as you just "copy and paste" a lot of "trivial dribble", repeating many old and tired ,and previously boring newspaper items,,

as I posted earlier, you are Number # 1 at plagiarism, that is the extent of your admirable qualities .

GoatGuy
04-18-2012, 03:48 PM

you are an irritating pi$$ ant, although you have no real experience to share, you can continuously post hundreds of useless information threads and comments,

there have been days when I counted about 20 of your "new postings", never do bother to read any, as you just "copy and paste" a lot of "trivial dribble", repeating many old and tired ,and previously boring newspaper items,,

as I posted earlier, you are Number # 1 at plagiarism, that is the extent of your admirable qualities .

Ok, now I'm confused, does that mean cattle stop rutting during the rain? Yes, or no?

04-18-2012, 03:55 PM
Ibtl............

proguide66
04-18-2012, 09:51 PM
My neck is getting sore from shaking my head:roll:....but still find myself curious if the rain kills the cattle rut to ..:lol:

Boner
04-18-2012, 10:30 PM
I think i'm going to start hunting elk this fall. There's a lot of good tips in this thread, thanks guys!

fuzzybiscuit
04-18-2012, 10:35 PM
Never tried it in the rain, but I've always liked screwing in the shower if that counts. I guess its sort of the same. I never really did like poking cows though...I was more into pigs. Ah, them were the days...

What was the original question again?

Jelvis
04-18-2012, 11:04 PM
One thing I would try for if I was wanting a good elk hunting spot, is an LEH in MU 4-3 just below Cranbrook to Gold Creek.
Best reached from Moyie Lake to some real good elk bugling early season, try Hootchie Momma or some other good elk call.
Mule deer, whitetails, moose and elk. Pretty fair hunting to share with the other hunters there.
MU 4-3. Check it out. Check out GOS and LEH for MU 4-3
Jel .. Good luck hunter ..

The Dude
04-18-2012, 11:19 PM
LOL, Jelvis, that place was hit so hard after the fires that if you want the bulls to go hide in the Timber, use a damn Hoochie Mama.
Trust me on this one. I used to hunt there a lot. Forget Mule deer bucks in 4-3, and the WT hunting is a quarter of what it was in say 2002-2005.
But then again, I only have 89 years of experience, and 78 six point bulls on the ground. :D :D
(J/K Elkdom)

The Dude
04-18-2012, 11:24 PM
And as far as cows go: When they're ready to breed they're in HEAT.
When it rains, it cools the loins of the cows, (Cattle and elk and Moose), so that the Infra-Red Heat-seeking vision of the bulls can't detect the thermal anomolies in the dark. It also washed the perfume off of the "Mulva" at the rear of the cow.
I read it in a book, so it's true. :D

(Ask Ranchers...LMAO......my rancher pals will get a kick out of that comment)

GoatGuy
04-19-2012, 12:16 AM
My neck is getting sore from shaking my head:roll:....but still find myself curious if the rain kills the cattle rut to ..:lol:

Maybe that's why they originally built barns in England/Scotland? Rained so much the cows never got bred.

I wonder how it works on the west coast where we were hunting rosies last fall as it rained, like torrential, nearly every day. Must be one hell of an orgy when the sun shines. Probably looks like a crime scene.

Boner
04-19-2012, 06:25 AM
Thanks for that, I spit a mouthful of pepsi on my keyboard when I laughed at your post.

proguide66
04-19-2012, 08:20 AM
Maybe that's why they originally built barns in England/Scotland? Rained so much the cows never got bred.

I wonder how it works on the west coast where we were hunting rosies last fall as it rained, like torrential, nearly every day. Must be one hell of an orgy when the sun shines. Probably looks like a crime scene.
Damn , that must suck ass on the island.So do they only rut every 3rd or 7th year there when conditions are right? I wonder how the fish rut still happens with all that water around them? Maybe someone will post how many fish they have caught and dictate some shit to us to cloear it up.......:-?

proguide66
04-19-2012, 08:21 AM
Thanks for that, I spit a mouthful of pepsi on my keyboard when I laughed at your post.
Tell me your not having pepsi on your cheerios!??

budismyhorse
04-19-2012, 09:00 AM
Lets talk about who is drinking Pepsi at 7 am.............LOL.

Hey......just kidding Boner.

This thread was good........until the weiners and measuring tapes got pulled out.

FWIW.......How can you write something like that Elkdom? What gives you the nerve to call someone a "runt". Elk harvest wise......YOU are a runt compared to a pile of hunters I know in the Elk Valley...........however, you'd never know it because they'd never tell you........those are the elk hunters I respect.

dingdongdenny
04-19-2012, 11:01 AM
hey you kids, get along:-D. ibtl

dingdongdenny
04-19-2012, 11:03 AM
ya agree , reading in between the bs lots of good info. Thank you to the ones that actually contributed

Jelvis
04-19-2012, 12:14 PM
MU 4-26 -- Try Toby Creek Road, for a Toad.
Reached from Athalmer or Wilmer, this road system runs southwest of Windermere through MU 4-26 into the snow capped Purcell Mountains if yah want good elk, mule deer and some white tail hunting.
If you go higher up you'll see grizzly and goat. Check regs.
MU 4-26
or and also From Canal Flats, The Findlay Creek road, muleys, white tail, and elk.
or Horsethief Creek, reached from the Francis Creek road north of Wilmer. This road system runs well back along the north edge of MU 4-26. With fair elk and deer hunting for mostly muleys.
Jel

mtnmanmike
04-19-2012, 12:32 PM
just remember bull elk are like guys, not everyone wants to fight but everyone wants to breed. The hoochie mama is good for making that perfect cow call each time however it is one dimensional. I like using an open reed call like the wayne carlton estrus whine. You can changed pitch and tone as well as the duration. For a bugle I prefer the primos the one with the big bell on the end and blue reeds. I end up cutting the big bell off making it shorter to handle in the bush so it isn't "clunking" off the brush. However find which bugle suits you best there are lots of options. Like it has been said before don't worry about the perfect bugle with a growl at the beginning, ending with a lot of chuckles. A nice simple bugle to start will work just fine otherwise if you sound too big the bull will take his cows and go or go completely silent. Each bull and scenario is different and just call to that bull's liking, you'll learn as you go. One more piece of advice that has been mentioned is to watch your wind. Elk are notorious for circling your location to get your "wind." get a wind checker like the kootenay smoke in a bottle. It is a small container with a fine powder you squeeze into the air. It will show exactly what the wind is doing when you think there is none. Good luck you'll definitely have a lot of fun

Boner
04-19-2012, 01:10 PM
Tell me your not having pepsi on your cheerios!??

Pepsi made me the man I am today! Not a coffee drinker. Not much of an elk hunter either, but hey, you can't be good at everything.

snipes13
04-19-2012, 01:16 PM
Never tried it in the rain, but I've always liked screwing in the shower if that counts. I guess its sort of the same. I never really did like poking cows though...I was more into pigs. Ah, them were the days...

What was the original question again?
Thanx for the extremely helpful tip...

Husky7mm
04-19-2012, 01:37 PM
There goes the pepsi again. LOL

Jelvis
04-20-2012, 12:20 AM
If your a hunter who wants the best in the west you gotta try MU: 4-24
MU 4-24
WHITESWAN - WHITE RIVER
Access to this area of open ridges, steep mountainsides and clear streams from Hwy 95 through Mu 4-21 a few kilometers south of Canal Flats, or from roads up either side of the Kootenay River from Canal Flats.
Mu 4-24 has it all and then some, moose, elk, mule and whitetail deer and mountain sheep.
One thing to mention here to hunters, in this same spot we have many grizzly bears. (see regs)
From Whiteswan Lake, roads climb back into the hills along the North White, Upper White(middle fork) and East White rivers.
MU 4-24 has grizzly bears roaming around the area in good numbers, so when you down an animal make dang sure your watching around your freshly killed elk, the bears have tied big bore gun shots with a downed animal and will come if experienced.
Whiteswan is big game hunting country at it's finest for a Rocky Mountain high you won't forget.
Jel .. Elk in the Kooots

mtnmanmike
04-20-2012, 06:43 AM
That would be one of the last places i would go for my first elk hunt. As many hunters as there are elk, camps at every kilometer marker. Very little for elk "talking" because of the pressure, mainly spot and stalk then a foot race to beat other hunters to the elk. A lot better places to go and find elk and to have a better hunt. 4-02 the flathead lots of country, 4-22 many places besides just the bull river, 4-23 elk valley, and even good ol' 4-03 has it's good spots as well, and 4-21. I don't say this because that's where I hunt, I hunt mainly 4-22. 4-02, and 4-03. 4-24 is good for mule deer and goats if you get a draw.

Jelvis
04-20-2012, 12:41 PM
MU 4-25
Upper Kootenay River
Main access from Canal Flats along west side road up Kootenay River, with several branches and spurs running back from the river road. Watch for motor vehicle closures on the Cross River, Fenwick Creek and Albert River roads.
This country is good hunting for elk and moose, with fair hunting for mule deer and whitetail.
Mountain sheep and goat, also grizzly ( see regulations) in higher part. Check LEH also.
Upper Kootenay River mu 4-25 .. Mountain sheep and grizz .. higher up.

bcmulie
04-20-2012, 04:50 PM
That would be one of the last places i would go for my first elk hunt. As many hunters as there are elk, camps at every kilometer marker. Very little for elk "talking" because of the pressure, mainly spot and stalk then a foot race to beat other hunters to the elk. A lot better places to go and find elk and to have a better hunt. 4-02 the flathead lots of country, 4-22 many places besides just the bull river, 4-23 elk valley, and even good ol' 4-03 has it's good spots as well, and 4-21. I don't say this because that's where I hunt, I hunt mainly 4-22. 4-02, and 4-03. 4-24 is good for mule deer and goats if you get a draw.

Wish you'd told me that before I went there for my first rocky mtn elk hunt...very accurate description. We did see one 5x6, but the 6th point was too short for me to be comfortable enough to take the shot. Camps and hunters everywhere. We biked into some of the road closure areas and those were better.

bcmulie

elkdom
04-20-2012, 05:24 PM
he TWO BIGGEST EXCUSES for NOT connecting on a 6 point Bull Elk,,,,,,,,,

1 ,there were TOO MANY other Elk hunters in the bush,,,,,,,,

2, there ARE ONLY 5 point Elk left in the area, the season needs to changed,,,,,

this covers about 85% of the yearly RESIDENT purchasers of GOS Elk tags,,, :?

Jelvis
04-20-2012, 06:39 PM
Up the Albert River to the end, you get very close to Alberta federal park boundary and the bulls are close to the boundary but you can't call them out of the park is what I'm hearing. If yer in BC at the end of the Albert and a big bull comes out of the park for the call, yah can't let it fall.
Jp .. I guess it's true I know a fella that hunts the Albert .. He wouldn't tell me so ask a co. b4 taking any shots ..

Bobfl
04-20-2012, 07:06 PM
good luck ,

I will never forget my first year hunting elk, everyone knows nothing, and there's nothing in the area. When you get those comments, your in the right place.
U may not get your elk as first timers but you will see beautiful country.
Don't give up, on your first year, only 10% will have success.

elkdom
04-20-2012, 07:15 PM
Up the Albert River to the end, you get very close to Alberta federal park boundary and the bulls are close to the boundary but you can't call them out of the park is what I'm hearing. If yer in BC at the end of the Albert and a big bull comes out of the park for the call, yah can't let it fall.
Jp .. I guess it's true I know a fella that hunts the Albert .. He wouldn't tell me so ask a co. b4 taking any shots ..

I regularly kill Elk within less than 500 yards of the BC/Alberta boundary,,,, Alberta's' Elk season starts different dates to the earlier BC GOS Elk season
the early BC GOS bull moose season causes the Elk to move into the BC/Alberta boundary zone because of disturbances from 2 weeks of dozens of daily quad riding moose hopeful hunters,

this actually helps to congregate elk into this area, work this kind of bush quietly, move like an elk, as long as your not revving up a quad,identifying yourself as an irritating distraction,,,
you can work them into close proximity for the kill, many times a have killed bulls near several other hunters riding quads or bugling relentlessly like fools , while the Elk sneak quietly past them within less than 500 meters,,,,

mew, chirp, mew,,,,,,,,,,,,,, BANG !

Jelvis
04-21-2012, 05:38 PM
If by chance you hunters from lower mainland are young and in half decent shape and would want to hunt for huge bull elk, you gotta do yourself a favor and check out (LEH) (limited entry hunting) and or (general open season) (GOS) head out to MU 4-8 to see some large bull elk.
It's the road from Nelway which runs along the Pend Oreille River to come out on Hwy 22 @ the Waneta border crossing into U.S.A., just south of Trail. This road is heavily road hunted for mules and whitetail deer because it's got good mule and whitetail hunting along this road.
Hint: on large bull elk, a walk one ridge back off this road will pay off and your in large bull elk country plain and simple.
MU 4-8 Plain and simple or I'm Rip Van Winkle .. Pend Oreille River .. one ridge back .. or I'm Vanilla Ice .. Ice Ice baby

Darksith
04-21-2012, 11:50 PM
one thing I haven't really seen on this thread as far as advice goes is be prepared to not even see an elk or hear an elk. Expect to hunt the same area multiple years in a row simply to learn it. The best things to take on your first elk hunt are low expectations, good knowledge of "what type of terrain" you should be looking in, and learn their migratory routes, schedules and habits. Ive been told where to go, and was there at the wrong time, Ive talked to guides that have just flown out and had all clients coming out with goose eggs, elk hunting is something that takes time, and if you think your gonna walk into an un explored area and have a god chance of success your fooling yourself. It may take a few scouting trips, or a few years of hunting the same area at the same time before you learn how, where and when to find the elk. No on here is giving you much of anything. Everyone wants to show you how big their dick is, but all they do is give you the same advice that everyone knows. Read books, learn this, study that, practice calling etc etc...bottom line is the peeps that are pming you are probably the ones you can trust, everyone else is just bored and entertaining themselves with comical banter or by puffing out their chest. Good luck, don't expect success and make the adventure the success not the successful harvesting of a mature elk. In time you, me and a whole lot of other non local peeps to elk country will learn the ways, its just too bad that most on here aren't willing to actually help you.

hunter1947
04-22-2012, 03:37 AM
One thing I say is just go out there and do your hunt enjoy yourself and do some learning thats what its all about being able to hunt these fantastic animals ,I still do not know what to expect from these ghost like animals they still do things I would never expect them to do when hunting them ,,I learn something new every year I hunt these fantastic animals ,guess I will never know all about elk in my life time ,but then that is why I keep on hunting them every year.

If you want a big elk with big antlers then you have to go to where you can find one this big head over to the BC Alberta boarder 4-25 head up the cross river road this is where the big record book elk filter out of the Banff National Park....:)

Jelvis
04-22-2012, 08:34 PM
MU 4-22: Remember in the Bull river area MU 4-22 from the Bull river to the Pickering Hills is good for elk. Why? The Bull River road runs north to East White main, east of Whiteswan Lake in MU 4-24.
Another branch eastward runs across to the Sulphur Creek road which joins Hwy 3 just east of Fernie.
Watch for Motor Vehicle Hunting Access Closures on Iron Creek road, and on Quinn Creek road.
This is good elk hunting country, with some deer and moose. Heavily hunted.
Also access from Hwy 3 behind Jaffray, Galloway and Elko.
Hunt behind the road closure by Quinn Creek, walk up the road with partners early in the morning.
Look at the whole area as you walk in the early morning light. Up near the rock slides on the edges of the old road take a look for elk action at the heads of these slides the bull will walk back and forth in rut.
Look for any movement in the trees above these rock slides. Dark brown shadowy figures moving silently along could be a six point bull checking out the area. He is the "King" of his domain.
Jel .. Elk start bugling and showing rutting behavior near the end of August, then strong Sept til the end.
All major breeding done by October pritty well so bigger bulls won't respond to the whistle as well in later Sept/earlyOct

snipes13
04-27-2012, 01:56 PM
Thank you everyone for the awesome tips..much appreciated!!

luckynuts
04-28-2012, 09:20 AM
Nope im planning on hiking a lot. We are planning 3rd or 4th week in sept.

Hey Snipes, Not sure if this has been mentioned or not only got to page 4. Though in my opinion the 4th week in Sept is too late. I ain't much of an elk hunter but have called in a dozen or so bulls. I have found Sept 1st bulls respond well to a bugle and aggressive bush thrashings. Up here in the peace the 2nd and early part of the 3rd week is a good time to call in the satellite bulls and the occasional herd bull. Again every area is different and weather can play a big part. I find the colder the weather the better, large tracts of older aspen/poplar forests with some dark timber mixed in are good places to look up here in the Peace. Im sure there is a lot of good info in this thread from the many Die Hard elk hunters on this site don't forget to look at the new regs many new oppurtunities for elk in the province now.

Best of Luck,

W.

snipes13
04-28-2012, 03:16 PM
Hey Snipes, Not sure if this has been mentioned or not only got to page 4. Though in my opinion the 4th week in Sept is too late. I ain't much of an elk hunter but have called in a dozen or so bulls. I have found Sept 1st bulls respond well to a bugle and aggressive bush thrashings. Up here in the peace the 2nd and early part of the 3rd week is a good time to call in the satellite bulls and the occasional herd bull. Again every area is different and weather can play a big part. I find the colder the weather the better, large tracts of older aspen/poplar forests with some dark timber mixed in are good places to look up here in the Peace. Im sure there is a lot of good info in this thread from the many Die Hard elk hunters on this site don't forget to look at the new regs many new oppurtunities for elk in the province now.

Best of Luck,

W.
Ya thats what ive heard. We are going the end of the 2nd week into the 3rd now.
Thanks

Jelvis
04-28-2012, 07:45 PM
I just phoned an experienced Cranbrook hunter and asked about some good spots and when the elk start bugling around there.
He was looking out his window when he was talking to me.
Baker Mtn powerline, The Albert river, Blackfoot, Bear creek and Goat creek.
Elk are grazers so he said watch rock slide areas for elk. Grizz too.
He said September up to October but the first week in September the bulls are screaming to mid September.
He said, you don't need to be a great caller in the first two weeks of September these bulls are hotter than a fire cracker then. Go in early morning in the dark, walk in on a road closure and one go higher up and one down the road. At light watch look and listen, do some calling to locate a bull,
Jel .. From a Cranbrook hunter .. He said there's elk and deer every where around Cranbrook.
He said if you drive up into the hills and park by a road in early September and start calling you will get an answer back lot's of the time. Then look hard and do the creep.

ElectricDyck
07-21-2012, 10:13 PM
Good thread... some good interweb drama.... I'm syched for some elk hunting..... Anyway...we kept elk cool like this in late august up north, over a couple days and nights while we packed way too far.....no bugling, spot and stalk
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/ElectricDyck/IMG_0720-1.jpg

Worked well, no blow flys ... 250 lbs deboned ....good times! Good luck to all this season!

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/ElectricDyck/IMG_0692.jpg

Bigbullsh$tter
07-22-2012, 09:21 AM
One of the most honest things that was told to me was "Just when you think you know everything about elk hunting.........you're an idiot" Stick with the basics and you'll be fine; 1. keep the wind in your face 2. cool that meat ASAP, the gutless method works great, set medium sized pieces on a tarp to cool quicker.
Have a great time up there, looking forward to hearing all about your hunt.

bearass
07-22-2012, 05:00 PM
Best advise I can give you is,If you are hunting in a group split up in to singles until someone in the group locates elk then regroup as a team of two to four guys.Come up with some good game plans and have fun.

stinkyduck
08-06-2012, 07:23 PM
gee elkdom you sound like such a hero'cant believe you have the time for us low life types!

stinkyduck
08-06-2012, 07:51 PM
One of the most honest things that was told to me was "Just when you think you know everything about elk hunting.........you're an idiot" Stick with the basics and you'll be fine; 1. keep the wind in your face 2. cool that meat ASAP, the gutless method works great, set medium sized pieces on a tarp to cool quicker.
Have a great time up there, looking forward to hearing all about your hunt.
read this twice elkdumb

curt
08-06-2012, 08:03 PM
Talked to a few CO'S up north my advice was pick a hill in elk country they will be on it they like hills!? I listened and sure as sh*t it works elk like hills. If you have your area pinned down then get a decent set of optics and start checking those hills!!