PDA

View Full Version : Spring bear hunt

Wrj
04-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Who else is venturing out this long weekend to try and spot some bear?!?! Me and a bud are thinking about the western part of region 8, not sure what the snow level is at but we're super pumped to get back into the wild! Hope the weather warms up a few more degrees, good luck all!

one-shot-wonder
04-02-2012, 01:47 PM
I think region 8 bear movement will be slow this early in April, but the odd early bird could be out I guess, stick to low elevation. The key is to find a green patch if you can. All my bear areas are still covered in snow.

swampthing
04-02-2012, 07:46 PM
If my date for the long weekend falls through I was going to wander over to the fraser river around big bar way and see whats happening for bears. Good excuse to take a new rifle for a walk and cook some campfire steaks.

Wrj
04-02-2012, 09:30 PM
If my date for the long weekend falls through I was going to wander over to the fraser river around big bar way and see whats happening for bears. Good excuse to take a new rifle for a walk and cook some campfire steaks.

Ohhhh sweet campfire steaks, and chewin jerky aaallllllll day, good times. weather looks half decent for the fraser valley into the interior this weekend too!

sarg
04-02-2012, 09:44 PM
we're head up to shea lake this weekend for some camping and fishing, i just bought a yamaha 450 quad today some i think i'll be going for a ride or 6 with the rilfe in hand:)
sarg

matt420
04-03-2012, 10:33 PM
region 8 where i live and go out for spring bear i dont waste my time this early in the season seein as how there is still a ton of snow in the mountians, late April into May is usually whenit starts gettin good around here

warnniklz
04-05-2012, 08:57 AM
My brother has been itching to get out and chase bears. He says people have been telling him they've seen bears already. So I'll take him to see what's happening around Williams Lake

bc kid
04-05-2012, 09:31 AM
Who else is venturing out this long weekend to try and spot some bear?!?! Me and a bud are thinking about the western part of region 8, not sure what the snow level is at but we're super pumped to get back into the wild! Hope the weather warms up a few more degrees, good luck all!

if your going in 8 10 or 812 the snow is 4 feet plus at around 4000 dont know about 8 1 or 8 09 but thats where i would go

Remington721
04-05-2012, 10:50 AM
if your going in 8 10 or 812 the snow is 4 feet plus at around 4000 dont know about 8 1 or 8 09 but thats where i would go

Yea 8-1 is still packed with snow wont be for awhile yet before you can get up anywhere

rcar
04-05-2012, 03:06 PM
If you are set for going this weekend, you may consider some of the lower elevations of the Fraser River feeder creeks. You should be able to find some early risers below 1500'.

Wrj
04-08-2012, 03:24 PM
Went exploring this weekend. Princeton, penticton, east of Merritt, still too much winter not enough spring. Saw ALOT of deer though. Also went to the back of Harrison Lake and found more deer, and a few sets of bear tracks, but no bear. I agree with most guys here, the blackies need a few more weeks to thaw out haha

scoutlt1
04-08-2012, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the update. I may go have a look next weekend too...

gcjb2010
04-08-2012, 08:22 PM
HI was wondering were are are some good areas in behind Harrison.Its my first time going there and any help would be great.
Geoff

buck nash
04-08-2012, 08:38 PM
I spent the day yesterday poking around the boston bar area with my son. Lower elevations have no snow but theres not much green yet. We didn't see any tracks or scat. We checked out nahatlatch, north bend and anderson fsr's and got stopped by snow on all of them. We ran into a guy who'd snowshoed further up than you can drive and he said there was no sign yet as well.

We did see a lynx though, so that made the trip worth while. Plus the boy got to try out his new TC hotshot. He hit a clay from about 15 yards 2 out of three shots, not bad for a 4yo and only his third time shooting.

The way I see it, it's never a waste of time to get out in the bush, and I've got a way beter chance of seeing a bear in the bush in early april than I do seeing one in my living room at that time.

walks with deer
04-09-2012, 09:45 AM
Saw one bear this weekend in lower elevations they are moving wasnt hunting.

RobRuger
04-09-2012, 08:09 PM
12 hours on the gang ranch and area, another 12 in nazko. No tracks, no poop, no bear.