PDA

View Full Version : Pend d'Oreile road

jonz
04-02-2012, 08:42 AM
I am wondering what the road is like from the 7 mile dam to the Salmo river along the north side of Pend d'Oreille reservoir. And maybe also along the Salmo River from the reservoir to Hwy 22A. Anybody know the area? Thanks.

Everett
04-02-2012, 09:11 AM
Not sure what its like right now but I drove it last year with no problem.

Brez
04-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Lots of potholes along the Pend d'orielle, but decent enough. You can't get through from Pend d'oreille to Hwy 22 along the Salmo R. It's blocked off as it goes through private property. If you do go there for a drive, you may have to watch for logging trucks. they pounded it last fall.

Mark_S
04-02-2012, 11:08 AM
You shouldn't have much trouble going through from Waneta to highway 22a on the Pend O'rielle road but as Brez says the road up the Salmo river does not make it to the highway.

The Salmo river road is probably very muddy right now.

TommyGuitar
04-02-2012, 01:55 PM
You need a 4x4 and go slow if you care about your machine. Watch out around the blind corners for quadders etc who like to cut them.

You should have seen the 10 year old girl driving a Subaru Outback right around a blind corner. Her mom was teaching her to drive down that road.

Str8shooterbc
04-02-2012, 04:08 PM
35 years ago the road up the Salmo River was well maintained by West Kootenay Power because of the line to the Reno Mine. A few years ago in October we tried to get through for old memories - my Dad was supervisor for WKP&L for years. We got up about 1/2 way and I did not trust a bridge across a small creek so we turned around. That road used to be good access to very good hunting - Deer and Elk. Pretty damn good for Grouse back then. A lot has changed, that's for sure with the closing of the mines in the area. My recollection is that unless you are really serious about getting through anywhere there at this time of the year means you had better have a winch, shovels, a jack all, some heavy tow ropes, a chainsaw and a second 4x4.

Brez
04-02-2012, 04:39 PM
35 years ago the road up the Salmo River was well maintained by West Kootenay Power because of the line to the Reno Mine. A few years ago in October we tried to get through for old memories - my Dad was supervisor for WKP&L for years. We got up about 1/2 way and I did not trust a bridge across a small creek so we turned around. That road used to be good access to very good hunting - Deer and Elk. Pretty damn good for Grouse back then. A lot has changed, that's for sure with the closing of the mines in the area. My recollection is that unless you are really serious about getting through anywhere there at this time of the year means you had better have a winch, shovels, a jack all, some heavy tow ropes, a chainsaw and a second 4x4.

When you've got time, one day, take a drive through there Ken. Lots of changes. It's a summer destination now. Every pullout will have a camp. Lots of boats on the water and dirt bikes and quads on the roads and trails. Hardly room for a deer to move.

Str8shooterbc
04-02-2012, 05:24 PM
The Salmo River road?? I think you mean along the Pend d'Oriele River. That is only a pale shadow of what it was when I was a kid. It was pretty wild in there and few really wanted to fight the currents then.

The road from the mouth where it enters the Pend d'Oreile River to just north of Black Bluffs?? We travelled from the Nelway Border check to Wanetta and it was narrow at times but really a good track. Saw a few nice, but fast, whitetail there but the road up the Salmo River was a no go. There was another dirt track that went up higher and I suspect it went to the BCH transmission line. If the lower road is open that would be pretty cool. I used to work in Salmo for WKP&L and traveled the road many times by car. The canyon at the Black Bluffs used to be pretty good fishing but as the road conditions were pretty dismal two years ago it would make for a long walk.

Brez
04-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Sorry, Ken, I thought you were talking about the Pend d"oreille

jonz
04-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the good info guys.