PDA

View Full Version : Tape on your muzzle

stattonrock
04-01-2012, 08:47 AM
What kind of tape do you use on the end of your barrel. Are there any types that won't ruin the blueing?
Thanks

elkdom
04-01-2012, 08:49 AM
electricians tape

bearslayer01
04-01-2012, 08:54 AM
electrical tape. if my memorie serves me correct u can buy a product that looks like a xs condom that just rolls on

SHAKER
04-01-2012, 08:54 AM
electricians tape

Yep, just make sure you take it off at the end of the day.

olharley guy
04-01-2012, 08:57 AM
Howdy, mainly used electricians tape, the odd time masking tape. On the new guns am trying ballons - roll off pretty good if you need to change them, will have to wait to see if they work as good as the tape. later

yukon john
04-01-2012, 09:02 AM
usually electricians tape, but ive used duct tape and masking tape in a pinch, no problems.

sarg
04-01-2012, 09:06 AM
kinda off topic, but why tape the end ao the barral?

Bear Chaser
04-01-2012, 09:11 AM
kinda off topic, but why tape the end ao the barral?

Keep debris and mud out of the barrell.

elkdom
04-01-2012, 09:13 AM

really ?:?,
I leave it (electricians tape)on for weeks at a time, never have any damage to bluing or stainless barrels in 40 years of use !

and after removing the tape, I wipe the barrel free of any adhesive with var-sol or WD40 ! :neutral:

doubled
04-01-2012, 09:15 AM
I leave it (electricians tape)on for weeks at a time, never have any damage to bluing or stainless barrels in 40 years of use !

and after removing the tape, I wipe the barrel free of any adhesive with var-sol or WD40 ! :neutral:

Yep, my buddy leaves his on all the time too and doesn't seem to have a problem.

Shooter
04-01-2012, 09:17 AM
If you leave the tape on the end on how do you look down the barrel to check if its loaded? Seems kind of stupid to me. Gotta think safety first guys.

RiverOtter
04-01-2012, 09:20 AM
Definately electricians tape, as it stays put, and extra is easily wrapped around your barrel for back up. Also elec tape seals out moisture and won't harm the bluing.

I've use masking tape and duct tape, and both will reliabley come off in wet weather, seen it too many times. Balloons/finger condoms don't stand up well to brush and I gave up on them years ago.

Sarg, a taped barrel keeps water, dirt, foilage etc out of your barrel and is long gone before the bullet reaches the end of the muzzle, so it won't affect POI or bullet performance.

SHAKER
04-01-2012, 09:22 AM

I've left it on for extended periods of time too BUT...I usually like to change it regularly. Ounce of prevention I guess?

REMINGTON JIM
Those little black balloon barrel safes ! Roll them on and they blow off ! LOL RJ

pnbrock
I have some condoms u can have!!

Shooter
04-01-2012, 09:24 AM
Ok on a more serious note, I just put one piece of tape from one side over to the other on my barrel. I have seen some that looks like it is a few pieces going across the muzzle in different directions and then also a piece or two wrapped around the barrel. It definitely would make it more solid at the end but can you over do it and cause problems with the shot?

KodiakHntr
04-01-2012, 09:35 AM
If you leave the tape on the end on how do you look down the barrel to check if its loaded? Seems kind of stupid to me. Gotta think safety first guys.

Work the action and then finger check or look from the breach.

Ok on a more serious note, I just put one piece of tape from one side over to the other on my barrel. I have seen some that looks like it is a few pieces going across the muzzle in different directions and then also a piece or two wrapped around the barrel. It definitely would make it more solid at the end but can you over do it and cause problems with the shot?

Air being pushed ahead of the bullet will blow the tape off long before the bullet gets to the muzzle. Don't think I'd put more than two layers over the muzzle though. Wrap a million around the tag ends if that floats your boat though.

Bear Chaser
04-01-2012, 09:35 AM
Shooter I usually put multiple pieces of tape on as you describe and haven't had a problem yet. The pressure built in front of the bullet on ignition is enough to remove a sensible amount of tape from the outside of the barrel. Short of sticking a wad of tape down the inside of the barrel I don't think it would be possible to put enough tape on to cause over pressure problems.
BTW regular electrical tape is OK but during cold weather application it becomes brittle so is hard to put on and harder to take off. I use a product called Super88 made by 3M that I get from electrical wholesalers. It stays flexible well below zero. At around -25 C it becomes harder to get a grip on the end of the tape but a few minutes in the pocket fix that.

RiverOtter
04-01-2012, 09:48 AM

Only reason I could think of for that, is if you suspect water down the spout from the breech end. In that case though, I'd be confirming said rifle is unloaded, then peering down the spout for water droplets, then taking a poke or two to dry chit out and re-tape.

SHAKER
04-01-2012, 09:55 AM
Tapes cheep so why not change it regularly.?

RiverOtter
For the guys worried about pressure from tape, it's a non issue.
The worst possible condition you can have in a barrel is a "partial" obstruction, as the air/gas ahead of the bullet is allowed to exit past, thus allowing the bullet to come in contact with a foreign object.

We all know what happens when a bullet "impacts" something at 3k....

rcar
I have used both elecricians tape and finger cots (buy at drug stores: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fingercot.jpg). Advantage of the cots is you can have a bunch in your pack and they weigh nothing. Problem is they do come off a bit easy. I prefer tape and just wrap a few extra winds around the barrel for when I need more....a bit of a pain in really wet conditions though. Now I just bring both.

RiverOtter
04-01-2012, 10:03 AM
Tapes cheep so why not change it regularly.?

Nice dodge...I was kinda hoping you had a good reason that no one else had thought of.

Optic cleaner is cheap too, but I don't rub my glass down if it's not dirty....

hunter1993ap
04-01-2012, 10:16 AM
i have a muzzle break so i use a balloon when its really wet. the brake holds the balloon on so i have no issues of it comming of while i'm hunting.

The Dude
04-01-2012, 10:24 AM
Never found it necessary.

Gilmore
04-01-2012, 10:31 AM
Another vote for electrical tape.

REMINGTON JIM
04-01-2012, 10:35 AM
Never found it necessary.

Yea - you don`t need them if you just drive around in a truck road hunting ! LOL Just KIDDING ! RJ

.330 Dakota
04-01-2012, 10:38 AM
I use muzzle tape,,silly guys

The Dude
04-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Yea - you don`t need them if you just drive around in a truck road hunting ! LOL Just KIDDING ! RJ

LOL, HEY, I'm not FD! :D

REMINGTON JIM
04-01-2012, 10:47 AM
LOL, HEY, I'm not FD! :D

Sorry - got mixed up ! LOL RJ

SHAKER
04-01-2012, 11:12 AM
Nice dodge...I was kinda hoping you had a good reason that no one else had thought of.

Optic cleaner is cheap too, but I don't rub my glass down if it's not dirty....

I'm not dodging anything..... If you want to leave your tape on the fill you boots buddy. I personally don't like to leave my tape on for weeks at a time if thats ok with you?

knightcc
04-01-2012, 11:20 AM
Do you guys but one or two strips over the end only or do you do put a couple of strips over the muzzle AND wrap it around the end of the muzzle to keep it secure?

Barracuda
04-01-2012, 11:22 AM
if im going to use tape new tape goes on before hunting i normally peel the tape off before the rifle goes in the safe or when im done with it. to check your action use your eyes and or finger in chamber to prove safe. electricians tape seems about the best but i have used masking ,tuck tape (nasty residue) and even hockey tape without issue

RiverOtter
04-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Do you guys but one or two strips over the end only or do you do put a couple of strips over the muzzle AND wrap it around the end of the muzzle to keep it secure?

I put 1 over and usually 1 around for added security. So long as it stays put, and keeps junk out of your barrel, it really don't matter how you apply it...

RiverOtter
04-01-2012, 11:31 AM

This is what you originally posted, hence my query...

Thought you might have had a method to your madness is all; couldn't care less if you wanna change your tape out 3 times a day, if the only reason is "because tape is cheap."

REMINGTON JIM
04-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Come on guys ! it ain`t rocket sicence to tape up the end of your barrel ! - whos going to tie up your boots and pack your pack etc LOL RJ

SHAKER
04-01-2012, 12:01 PM
This is what you originally posted, hence my query...

Thought you might have had a method to your madness is all; couldn't care less if you wanna change your tape out 3 times a day, if the only reason is "because tape is cheap."

Why risk leaving it on and possibly getting something to happen? Last thing I would want is oxidization to happen in the barrel, a little air flow is a good thing IMO. Not sure what happened to my old remy SPS (yes it was a pos) but it did get moisture trapped in the barrel and pitted the chamber. After the season was over I shot the rifle and was unable to eject the brass as normal.

RiverOtter
04-01-2012, 12:19 PM
Keep in mind, "Oxidization" by definition, requires air.....Just sayin'

Takin' a poke at the end of the day, if you hunted in the rain, is about the best way to "DRY" things out and keep barrel rust at bay. Combine that with a post hunting trip cleaning/ light oiling of the action/chamber and a guy is walkin' in high cotton.....

SHAKER
04-01-2012, 12:29 PM
Keep in mind, "Oxidization" by definition, requires air.....Just sayin'

Takin' a poke at the end of the day, if you hunted in the rain, is about the best way to "DRY" things out and keep barrel rust at bay. Combine that with a post hunting trip cleaning/ light oiling of the action/chamber and a guy is walkin' in high cotton.....

Hey your good, it does. Unless your barrels a vacume chamber I'm sure there is still air inside of it? Just say'n.

RiverOtter
04-01-2012, 12:37 PM
If you mean "Vacuum" as in void of air, no my barrels aren't.

I was simply saying that adding more "AIR" to fend "Oxidization", was kinda humorous.

KodiakHntr
04-01-2012, 12:46 PM
Short of installing a fan at the end of your barrel, you won't get much "airflow" down it either....

I'd rather shoot some "moisture" out at the end of a day of hunting in the rain, than spend time worrying about it.....

SHAKER
04-01-2012, 12:54 PM
If you mean "Vacuum" as in void of air, no my barrels aren't.

I was simply saying that adding more "AIR" to fend "Oxidization", was kinda humorous.

lol.... this is fun... Just say'n your traping air\moisture in if you leave the tape on. Your way works too and didn't say it was wrong. I just personally don't feel comfortable doing it. Fair enough?

Jagermeister
04-01-2012, 12:57 PM
I have used electricians tape. Then I found a tape that I think is much better, more functional and given it's real use, more impervious to water. What tape is that you wonder? You probably have passed it at some time as you cruised through Costco. It's the clear hockey tape. It is wider, a little thick, a little stronger and you can use it in other applications as well, like the others. Being transparent, it blends in too.

SHAKER
04-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Short of installing a fan at the end of your barrel, you won't get much "airflow" down it either....

2 open ends are better then one in my opinion.

I'd rather shoot some "moisture" out at the end of a day of hunting in the rain, than spend time worrying about it.....

True that! why are we still beating on this simple topic. Nothing needs to be written in stone.

Part of my reasoning on air flow around them is the damage to firearms that have been locked in gun cases for long periods of time and have developed sever surface rust issues and like I said my SPS (yes is was a POS) did get damage done to it from moisure getting trapped in the barrel (camber actually).

Jelvis
04-01-2012, 01:03 PM
Just put your finger or thumb over the end of the barrel, I do it works good.
Jel ..

pescado
04-01-2012, 01:07 PM
I was told to put tape on to protect the crown. My rifles are always stored with tape over the barrel. It's the the dust particles, ect. that gather in the barrel when it's sitting open that sand blast-polish the barrel-crown which in turn eventually can effect accuracy. A real good shooter told me this and he does what he can to maintain accuracy. He basically said to protect the crown any way you can. Whether it makes that much difference, i'm not sure ,but I think it does so my barrels get taped.

Jagermeister
04-01-2012, 01:17 PM
Just put your finger or thumb over the end of the barrel, I do it works good.
Jel ..
The discussion here is not about the one in your pants.

Moose Guide
04-01-2012, 01:18 PM
Keep debris and mud out of the barrell.

Shouldn't be a problem if you don't use your gun for a walking stick!

RiverOtter
04-01-2012, 01:22 PM
It's the the dust particles, ect. that gather in the barrel when it's sitting open that sand blast-polish the barrel-crown

Hahahahaha...........On that note, I think I'll leave this thread. The "FLUFF" is getting outta control....

goatdancer
04-01-2012, 02:07 PM
Cut the fingers off those those thin latex gloves and slip them over the barrel. Just another option to electrical tape.

Steelwheels
04-01-2012, 06:15 PM
I use E tape... I've had mud and moisture enter my barrels as I travel to my hunt spots on my quad...I don't care to use a gun boot.. Change it daily when out hunting as I always inspect and clean my firearms at the end of each day..bore snake...

04-01-2012, 06:20 PM
I keep electrical tape over the end of my barrel all season. Never have any corrosion issues. Gives peace of mind knowing nothing can get in the barrel.

threedhunter
04-01-2012, 06:30 PM
personaly, i use scotch tape, never gets pushed into the rifling and always comes off clean with alcohol.No blueing removed and no blown muzzles.

finngun
04-01-2012, 08:16 PM
i made mistake [again] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fingercot.jpg) i was thinking chinise ....something..:mrgreen:

vip_ruger
04-01-2012, 08:20 PM
why do u look down the barrel to see if loaded open it up and check with your finger looking down the barrel is only when cleaning it kinda silly i think good way to die if you ask me !!

RiverOtter
04-01-2012, 08:35 PM
I took that post as sarcasm, but you never know, anything is possible on HBS...

Jagermeister
04-01-2012, 08:36 PM
I use electicians tape, have used all sorts of tape when I had to.. however.. I did have a barrel bulge at the top end one year, when I took it to the gunsmith he asked if I had taped the barrel, which I had, his explanation was that moisture had built up to the point that when I shot, there was to much moisture in the barrel , causing it to bulge. I had been on a ten day sheep hunt with tons of rain and snow. I can't say for sure this was the cause but since that time I make sure and take the tape off at night to "dry" things out..I think that the 'smith may be out to lunch on that. It might happen if you were to tape the end of the barrel after you got moisture in the barrel and that moisture were to freeze. I could see that maybe a bulge might happen when the bullet came in contact with ice.
However, the intent of taping the barrel end is to stop moisture and debris from getting there in the first place. The tape in itself, does not put any substantial force that would work in opposition to the force of the bullet travelling down the barrel. There will be a slight increase in air pressure as the bullet moves toward the taped end, but that air pressure as it increases will overcome the tapes adhesive resistance. The tape will lift where it has the least contact surface with the barrel or muzzle.

Gateholio
04-01-2012, 09:13 PM
Wow, long thread on tape. :)

REMINGTON JIM
04-01-2012, 09:20 PM
Wow, long thread on tape. :)

Rocket Science it is ! LMAO :-D RJ

kevan
04-01-2012, 09:21 PM
Just go in your local hardware store and ask for a roll of 30-06 electricians tape.....

elkdom
04-01-2012, 09:26 PM
Rocket Science it is ! LMAO :-D RJ

wait until the next toilet-paper thread starts , an even MORE sensitive topic than what kind of tape to use on muzzles,,,

there will be HBS'ers fighting in the streets ! :cry:

Jagermeister
04-01-2012, 09:33 PM
We seen to re-visit the topic often. I don't think this will be the last time either.
It's much easier to post a new thread on any subject than to do a search to see if the subject was posted previously.

The Dude
04-01-2012, 09:54 PM
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Heliox18/Decorated%20images/PopcornLargePoster.jpg

lawlu
04-01-2012, 11:45 PM
Found this post on another website. Seems this guys test shows that the tape "does" affect poi.

Just scroll down to the pics...

http://www.scoutrifle.org/index.php?topic=610.0

Black Lab
04-01-2012, 11:53 PM
If people use the search, you guy's won't have as much the argue about :razz:
We seen to re-visit the topic often. I don't think this will be the last time either.
It's much easier to post a new thread on any subject than to do a search to see if the subject was posted previously.

hunter1947
04-02-2012, 02:28 AM
electricians tape

X2 same here.

Rackmastr
04-02-2012, 02:34 AM
I use electrical tape as well....put it over bbl, wrap a few wraps around so you always have some extra and you're good. Truth be told, most times I dont 're-tape' something as if I've shot a round I'm usually done my hunt, etc. Its always nice to have a little extra on the bbl though for sure.