PDA

View Full Version : Ek antlerless elk season coming to a end?

daywalker
04-01-2012, 08:20 AM
I was just wondering if anyone else has heard this? I was talking to one of the local CO's and we got talking about the cow elk season and he said that it looks like it is going to be coming to an end as they have accomplished what they wanted. Anyone else hear anything of this.

elkdom
04-01-2012, 08:44 AM
I was just wondering if anyone else has heard this? I was talking to one of the local CO's and we got talking about the cow elk season and he said that it looks like it is going to be coming to an end as they have accomplished what they wanted. Anyone else hear anything of this.

yeah, I heard about that, and a CO told me they were thinking of doing away with the 6X Point Bull Elk rule and changing it to a 7X point rule, much easier to manage the bull/cow ratio with a 7X Point Bull rule

daywalker
04-01-2012, 08:46 AM
Yeah well I have seen a real decrease in numbers in the trench. I am in favour for ending the antlerless maybe have a LEH. I am sure the elk hunters coming from all over will decrease.

uraarchr
04-01-2012, 09:45 AM
I heard that they're shutting elk hunting down completely for five years.

daywalker
04-01-2012, 09:53 AM
Well I am sure there are going to be lots of things going around but from what I was told they are just cutting out the cow elk season but I guess we will see.

mjmbc
04-01-2012, 01:48 PM
great is that all over bc or just the koots

Fisher-Dude
04-01-2012, 03:04 PM
Yeah well I have seen a real decrease in numbers in the trench. I am in favour for ending the antlerless maybe have a LEH. I am sure the elk hunters coming from all over will decrease.

You're right. Taking 570 elk out of a population nearing 35,000 elk has decimated the herd and is why you haven't seen any. And keep those ****ing guys from out of region from shooting your elk too, that would be a bonus!

f350ps
04-01-2012, 03:09 PM

Well said, spoken like a true NIMBY! K

BlacktailStalker
04-01-2012, 03:18 PM
I heard the bulls caught qu-eer and aren't breeding anymore.

rocksteady
04-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Open season cow/calf GONE !! Back to LEH only, as well as the jr/sr season....Oh well, guess I just gotta chase 6 point bulls:)

This was confirmed to me by a CO....

finngun
04-01-2012, 05:18 PM
You're right. Taking 570 elk out of a population nearing 35,000 elk has decimated the herd and is why you haven't seen any. And keep those ****ing guys from out of region from shooting your elk too, that would be a bonus!

comparing numbers-- moose population in finland is around 150000 every year 1/3 around 50000 is shot [some year even more] so what really means 600 elk--out of 35000
it is very small number... well +road -animal-first nation-etc still we are not even near 1/3

TPB
04-01-2012, 05:47 PM
I heard there will be a short 4 point season too trying to clear out some of the 5 point elk with bad genes, who knows probably just a rumour

Jelvis
04-01-2012, 06:09 PM
I heard the CO's and biologists will be planting micro chips in all the elk that hunters will be able to harvest.
Each hunter will need to buy a chip reader off the MOE to be eligible to shoot them.
This was decided last season and won over the other option, which was tattooing each elk with a number big enough to read at less than a hundred yards with iron sights.
Jel .. Planting Chips into each elk for the 2012/13 hunting seasons .. Order your chip reader now! ..

Moose Guide
04-01-2012, 06:14 PM

Resident priority at its finest, if you live in region 2 you hunt in region 2! That way the guys in region 5 could have a moose season without leh.

Fullcurled4point
04-01-2012, 07:15 PM
Hey guys...got checked today by the COs at the river.....i asked if there was gonna be any big changes....elk season ISNT changing....lol at all....still antlerless....still spike season still 6 point season...so on and so on....oh and also...kiss that stupid bloody anybuck season goodbye....back to four point season...only catch is the season is now closed nov. 10th.

Moose Guide
04-01-2012, 07:34 PM
Too bad, I was looking forward to the 7 point season!

Ourea
04-01-2012, 07:44 PM
I better cancel the chip reader that I just ordered........

Fisher-Dude
04-01-2012, 08:08 PM
....oh and also...kiss that stupid bloody anybuck season goodbye....back to four point season...only catch is the season is now closed nov. 10th.

Yeah, it's way better to hammer all the 1 and 2 year old 4 points to kill off the genes that make big bucks. That way, guys from other regions that have had any buck seasons for years and years can post up the hogs they shoot every year. Besides, it's way cheaper to shut down your deer season than it is to do any habitat work to grow more deer. Win-win I say!

vip_ruger
04-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Resident priority at its finest, if you live in region 2 you hunt in region 2! That way the guys in region 5 could have a moose season without leh.

That should be the way it is for all game animals and regions !

Moose Guide
04-01-2012, 08:34 PM
That should be the way it is for all game animals and regions !

No argument from me, I live in reg. 4, elk, mulies, moose, whitetails, grizzlies and black bears out in the back pasture.

J_T
04-01-2012, 08:51 PM
Would love to see 35,000 and for years we were told there were 35,000. But it's not the case. Maybe 15,000 3 years ago. The strategy to reduce elk numbers to appease ranchers and social issues over the past few years has been successful.

boxhitch
04-01-2012, 09:47 PM
That should be the way it is for all game animals and regions !I'm trying to see the humor in this

04-01-2012, 09:55 PM
As far as I know this proposal has been accepted:

http://a100.gov.bc.ca/pub/ahte/hunting/kootenay-south-trench-antlerless-elk

Ministry Information Bulletin below:

South Trench Antlerless ElkSeason Proposal for 2012

December 13, 2011

Recommended season change

We recommendreplacing the GOS for all hunters (Sept 20-30) with a Limited Entry Hunt. Wewill set LEH permit numbers based on elk population size/trend data and harvestdata. If funding is available to conduct an inventory this winter (2011-12),and data show the population is still above the target, we may propose torevoke this regulation change and reinstate the GOS.

Currentseason (Hunting and Trapping Synopsis):

Elk
Management Unit - *4-3 Zone X
Class - Antlerless
Season dates - Sept 20 – Sept 30
Bag limit - 1
*This zoneincludes portions of 4-02, 4-03, 4-04, 4-05, 4-20, 4-21 and 4-22. See map fordetails.

Proposedseason (Limited Entry Hunt synopsis):

Area
Management Unit - 4-03, Zone - X*
Season Dates - Sept 20 – Sept 30
Class of animal - Antlerless
Range of Authorizations - 1-1000
*This zoneincludes portions of 4-02, 4-03, 4-04, 4-05, 4-20, 4-21 and 4-22. See map fordetails.

The benefits ofthis proposal include:

1. Demonstrateto stakeholders that we are using information available to adaptively managethe elk population (this will help to build/maintain trust with clients).

2. Enablemanagers to adjust harvest levels annuals through issuing more/fewer LEHpermits in response to data on elk harvest and population size/trend.

3. Avoidreducing the elk population below the target. This could lead to continued elkpopulation declines if predation rates increase on a smaller population (i.e.,predator pit situation).

The primarydownside of this proposal is a reduction in opportunities for hunters to huntantlerless elk in the Trench every year (unless they happen to be drawn underLEH permit each year). This may make it more difficult for landowners andhunters to build relationships to support private land hunting.

We alsoconsidered:

1. Cancellingthe youth/senior GOS as well. However we suspect that the harvest under thisseason will decline substantially with a smaller elk population. Harvest datafrom 2011 will indicate whether or not this is true. If 2011 harvest datasuggest the harvest under the youth/senior season remains high, we may considercancelling this season in 2013.

2. Keeping theGOS for all hunters and simply reducing LEH permits in October. As with theyouth/senior season, we suspect that hunter harvest will decline in response tolower elk populations. Anecdotal information from 2011 suggest harvest successwas very low, and elk radio collar data suggest mortality during the hunt declinedas well. However given the very high harvest in 2010 during the GOS for allhunters, we believe it is prudent to cancel the season to avoid reducing theelk population well below the established target.

grizzlydueck
04-01-2012, 10:18 PM
I think they should leave the cow calf season -the spike season -but make it a 5 point or better season =way less ooops, thought it was a 6point mistakes. Way easier to tell a 5point from a 4 point ! Just my thoughts

04-01-2012, 10:19 PM
I heard there will be a short 4 point season too trying to clear out some of the 5 point elk with bad genes, who knows probably just a rumour

I don't think that's true.

04-01-2012, 10:22 PM
Hey guys...got checked today by the COs at the river.....i asked if there was gonna be any big changes....elk season ISNT changing....lol at all....still antlerless....still spike season still 6 point season...so on and so on....oh and also...kiss that stupid bloody anybuck season goodbye....back to four point season...only catch is the season is now closed nov. 10th.

Elk antlerless GOS in 4-03X "IS" changing to LEH.
The any-buck mule deer season is eliminated in 4-03, 4-04, 4-05, 4-20 and 4-26 only, and will remain in all other Region 4 MUs.

04-01-2012, 10:28 PM
Would love to see 35,000 and for years we were told there were 35,000. But it's not the case. Maybe 15,000 3 years ago. The strategy to reduce elk numbers to appease ranchers and social issues over the past few years has been successful.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/management-issues/docs/2011_Province%20Ungulate%20Numbers%202011_August%2 024.pdf

coach
04-01-2012, 10:33 PM
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/management-issues/docs/2011_Province%20Ungulate%20Numbers%202011_August%2 024.pdf

Thanks, 6616 - very informative!

hunter1947
04-02-2012, 02:33 AM
I really don't care what they do I just like being out in nature filming and enjoying myself with wildlife to no end really don't care if I ever shoot another elk in my life time I like filming animals more then shooting them..

Mark_S
04-02-2012, 06:22 AM
I haven't noticed any less elk numbers on my drive to work each morning through the trench, but I don't really stop to count either.

J_T
04-02-2012, 06:44 AM
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/management-issues/docs/2011_Province%20Ungulate%20Numbers%202011_August%2 024.pdf Thanks. The reference was to the trench population only. As it pertained to 4-03 antlerless. The number in the chart is for the entire region. I'd like to see 3 or 4 times that many elk in the region.

BlacktailStalker
04-02-2012, 08:36 AM
Anyone know why there is an estimate of 10-20 moose on Vancouver Island on that chart the link provides ? ?

Fisher-Dude
04-02-2012, 12:27 PM
Anyone know why there is an estimate of 10-20 moose on Vancouver Island on that chart the link provides ? ?

Just a few big women in Tozer's stable. It was hard to get an accurate count, and no one was willing to venture in and sort them all out.

sledforever
04-02-2012, 01:02 PM
It's for Region 1: Vancouver Island which includes part of the mainland. MU 1-14 and MU 1-15. My guess is there are a couple moose there.

BlacktailStalker
04-02-2012, 03:10 PM
Actually I did hear that some moose do winter at the head of these inlets so that would make sense.
Thanks.
FD, I don't blame them lol

04-02-2012, 03:20 PM
Thanks. The reference was to the trench population only. As it pertained to 4-03 antlerless. The number in the chart is for the entire region. I'd like to see 3 or 4 times that many elk in the region.

Correct, the WK estimate is about 4000 to 5000, so the difference is the approximate current EK population estimate.

J_T
04-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Correct, the WK estimate is about 4000 to 5000, so the difference is the approximate current EK population estimate. Correct that you'd like to see 3 or 4 times that many elk in the region? Habitat.... social issues....

f350ps
04-02-2012, 04:45 PM
I really don't care what they do I just like being out in nature filming and enjoying myself with wildlife to no end really don't care if I ever shoot another elk in my life time I like filming animals more then shooting them..
WOW Wayne, now that's just crazy talk, snap outta of it man! Next thing we'll know is you'll be out lickin leaves for chr$t sakes. :) K

04-02-2012, 05:15 PM
Correct that you'd like to see 3 or 4 times that many elk in the region? Habitat.... social issues....

It would be nice, but first I think we need a couple hundred million to create enough habitat for them.

BlacktailStalker
04-02-2012, 05:21 PM
Maybe if anyone on here is planning on committing a major crime that will put them away for many, many years, they could be kind enough to start a bunch of fires in strategic areas before they get locked up.
We thank you in advance.

happyhunter
04-02-2012, 05:51 PM
I read an interview in our local paper here in cranbrook. The guy being interviewed was the outgoing head biologist of something out here (sorry Im foggy on the details of this guy, it was a while ago) Anyway regarding elk he said that MOEs objective of reducing elk in the trench was already likely met. Yup I know thats a lot of animals in a short time but if you've got a lot of hunters and good access I guess it can be done.

I really wish I knew who this bio was, and the position he held because that would really add some weight to his statements on elk, unfortunately the only thing I remember is him saying the 30% reduction had been met.

limit time
04-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Spoken like a true guide...

limit time
04-02-2012, 05:58 PM

Probably votes NDP :twisted:

hunter1947
04-03-2012, 02:20 AM
Probably votes NDP :twisted:

After shooting over 34 bull elk in my life time as for getting up in age for me I tend on filming wildlife more then shooting ,but don't get me wrong I still fill the freezer with good quality game meat :wink:..

hunter1947
04-03-2012, 02:31 AM
My outing yesterday shed hunting I saw the same herd of elk that I have seen for the last two years below the 1100m mark I saw this herd at the same place same time as I have in the past two years.

The herd was down in numbers from one year ago only one spiker in this herd with only two calf's the head count yesterday was roughly around 30 animals compared to about 60 from a year ago the number of elk are cut to 50% from last year..

daywalker
04-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Just wanted to clarify this thread was about the trench numbers not the whole EK Elk population. However I have seen a drop in numbers. I don't think it would be a bad idea to just put an LEH system in place for the cow elk (trench). I am sure alot of people will not be happy about this but we all had to know it was coming with the amount of people hunting that season it would not take too many years to get the numbers were they wanted them for the trench.

Husky7mm
04-04-2012, 12:19 PM
I haven't noticed any less elk numbers on my drive to work each morning through the trench, but I don't really stop to count either.

You are seeing large collection of migaratory and none migartory elk from all over the region, all winter and early spring it seem like there is no shortage of elk, but as many migrate you will notice a change... On a positive note, decent amount of bulls this winter.

Husky7mm
04-04-2012, 12:22 PM
I read an interview in our local paper here in cranbrook. The guy being interviewed was the outgoing head biologist of something out here (sorry Im foggy on the details of this guy, it was a while ago) Anyway regarding elk he said that MOEs objective of reducing elk in the trench was already likely met. Yup I know thats a lot of animals in a short time but if you've got a lot of hunters and good access I guess it can be done.

I really wish I knew who this bio was, and the position he held because that would really add some weight to his statements on elk, unfortunately the only thing I remember is him saying the 30% reduction had been met.

Dave Dunbar
Now its not just coffee shop talk and hooey;-)