PDA

View Full Version : Wolf kill

bridger
04-01-2012, 04:59 AM
Went to the cabin yesterday to do some sledding before the snows gone. Found that wolves had killed a calf moose a few days ago in our top field a couple hundred yards from the cabin. Wasn't pretty, and not much left except some hair and a rib. That is the third moose that pack has killed this winter I know about. The local trapper snared 7 this winter obviously there are still plenty around. Same pack killed a mule deer two weeks ago.

hunter1947
04-01-2012, 05:09 AM
Eating machines alright to bad the trapper could not have taken more of them wolves ,I wonder how many sheep have been taken out from wolves in this area ??? ,thanks for the update.

ianwuzhere
04-01-2012, 09:59 AM
This time of year when the days are warm and still freezes at nite is the best time of year for the wolves to travel on top of the snow. I would think in the next lil while is when a lot of killing is gonna happen. I was watching my dog wander around all over the back yard in areas he couldnt this winter until now, so i followed him walking on top of the crust.

I bet theres still 7 more in that pack.. In 7-42 last season there was a pack of 18!

Phreddy
04-01-2012, 10:37 AM
S. S. & s.

RayHill
04-01-2012, 02:31 PM
i saw on the front page of a hunting mag yesterday, that about 450 deer are killed every day in the US by wolves.

BlacktailStalker
04-01-2012, 03:16 PM
Consider getting your trapping license, talk to the trapper you know and ask for permission to trap on his line. If youre out there much might you as well be checking your own snares :)

Moose Guide
04-01-2012, 06:21 PM
Went to the cabin yesterday to do some sledding before the snows gone. Found that wolves had killed a calf moose a few days ago in our top field a couple hundred yards from the cabin. Wasn't pretty, and not much left except some hair and a rib. That is the third moose that pack has killed this winter I know about. The local trapper snared 7 this winter obviously there are still plenty around. Same pack killed a mule deer two weeks ago.

The Brazeau pack in Alberta(9 wolves) killed an animal every day if it was a deer or sheep, or evey three days if it was a moose or elk IIRC!

Moose Guide
04-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Consider getting your trapping license, talk to the trapper you know and ask for permission to trap on his line. If youre out there much might you as well be checking your own snares :)

You can trap your own property or other private property if you have the owners permission, you don't need the trapline owners permission. Check it out with the officials before you go ahead !

hunter1947
04-02-2012, 02:43 AM
You can trap your own property or other private property if you have the owners permission, you don't need the trapline owners permission. Check it out with the officials before you go ahead !

Correct good advice X2..

bridger
04-02-2012, 04:33 AM
Talked to the trapper yesterday he has been assisting some of our neighbors this winter and they have snared 24 in total.Going to help us out next winter. Should be fun.