PDA

View Full Version : **** found arrow stuck in side of my house***

huntingpg
03-31-2012, 12:02 PM
3 days ago i was cleaning up the side of my house.. the snow is finally gone and i was trying to divert some run off water away from my house to the yard next to mine and i noticed something weird there was a fletching sticking out of the siding about 4 inches from the ground.. i tried to pull it out but it was in there good i finally unscrewd it and pulled the arrow out im guessing its a broad head by how deep its in the side of my house. i dont bow hunt neither does my son and as far as i know the people next to me dont hunt.

Deer_Slayer
03-31-2012, 12:21 PM
Cupid maybe?

Jelvis
03-31-2012, 12:32 PM
A person doesn't need to be a hunter to fire arrows or bullets.
Arrows can fly for hundred yards.
Someone was shooting arrows.
Jel bows and arrows .. cross bow or long bow? What angle was the shaft?

lip_ripper00
03-31-2012, 01:01 PM
A person doesn't need to be a hunter to fire arrows or bullets.
Arrows can fly for hundred yards.
Someone was shooting arrows.
Jel bows and arrows .. cross bow or long bow? What angle was the shaft?

This would be my question as well

buckhunter
03-31-2012, 01:12 PM
my brother-in-law had his house shot once and his patio shot once. whole new meaning to the term "house hunting"! i guess some people don't look at what is beyond what they are shooting at! unless they are actually shooting at the house.

huntcoop
03-31-2012, 01:18 PM
No doubt it MUST be a bolt and not an arrow. Crossbow hunters are evil, a traditional or compound archer would NEVER do such a thing :lol:

Bow Walker
03-31-2012, 01:18 PM
I'd be going over to the neighbors (on that side of the house) and asking them about the arrow - or their kids friends..........

bearhunter338-06
03-31-2012, 01:41 PM
Those damn house poachers

huntingpg
03-31-2012, 01:49 PM
what do you mean angle??

it was pretty much straight into the house i talked to the neighbors they had no clue.. im thinking someone shot at or shot a deer in my yard. its a gold tip arrow with those small fletchings on them and thers the initials d.r felt wrote on the flethching

Brez
03-31-2012, 01:55 PM
Ah, an amateur! No experienced bowhunter leaves identifying marks on his/her arrows!.. Obviously, from the angle, the person was very close to your house - unless it deflected.

Geo.338
03-31-2012, 02:02 PM
Maybe a terget shooter who shoots the same arrows as his buddy so they put id on the arrows .Still kinda sketchy as it is in your house .I would be interested to see if it is a target tip or broad head and if there is any blood or hair on it .I would also be googling d.r. felt .

elkdom
03-31-2012, 02:04 PM
what do you mean angle??

it was pretty much straight into the house i talked to the neighbors they had no clue.. im thinking someone shot at or shot a deer in my yard. its a gold tip arrow with those small fletchings on them and thers the initials d.r felt wrote on the flethching

maybe the arrow came from Alberta ? :mrgreen: ,,,in Alberta you have I.D./ put your name or hunter# on your hunting arrows,

there are some VERY POWERFUL Bows out there, according to some bow-hunters,,,,,,,,,:?

scallywag
03-31-2012, 02:10 PM
I use my house as a back drop for my practice sessions. I would hate to hit someone else's house but I can deal with hitting my own

peashooter
03-31-2012, 02:19 PM
so can i have my arrow back??

Marlin375
03-31-2012, 02:25 PM
if the arrow was burried up to the fletching in the side of your house isn't the tipped end showing inside your house......how thick are your walls?

Big Lew
03-31-2012, 02:49 PM
Take the arrow to the local archery shops....if they make up the arrows for a customer, they record it, including the colour and pattern of the fletching. If they made up the arrow, and especially with identification initials, they should be able to tell you who owns it.

huntingpg
03-31-2012, 02:57 PM
it wasnt burried up to the fletching.. but like half way down the shaft .. and the initials were d.r "in felt pen" i meant!

boxhitch
03-31-2012, 03:00 PM
We need a bow and arrow registry
If it saves only one house, it is worth it

Fisher-Dude
03-31-2012, 03:02 PM
D.R. in Prince George. Hmm, maybe it was Dod Rartell?

Ddog
03-31-2012, 03:02 PM
Take the arrow to the local archery shops....if they make up the arrows for a customer, they record it, including the colour and pattern of the fletching. If they made up the arrow, and especially with identification initials, they should be able to tell you who owns it.

shops record nothing, its not a law that they do, maybe in other reaches around the world they do but not here., if they happen to have a record of the sale they might have a name but again they don't need to record it.
i would still take the arrow to a shop and see if they know or remember building it. or if the know anyone with the initials d.r

huntingpg
03-31-2012, 03:05 PM
im located in cranbrook

Fisher-Dude
03-31-2012, 03:07 PM
Dod Rartell gets around.

elkdom
03-31-2012, 03:11 PM
this is just 1 more reason to "out-law bows and arrows" in Cranbrook,,,,,,,,,,,:twisted:

moosinaround
03-31-2012, 03:12 PM
maybe the arrow came from Alberta ? :mrgreen: ,,,in Alberta you have I.D./ put your name or hunter# on your hunting arrows,

there are some VERY POWERFUL Bows out there, according to some bow-hunters,,,,,,,,,:?
Must of been from a Magnum Bow??!!

elkdom
03-31-2012, 03:18 PM
Must of been from a Magnum Bow??!!

Cranbrook isn't all that far from the Alberta Border,,,,,,,,,,,,,:lol:

it's do-able for a good bow-hunter,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,with a Magnum Bow and TTTXXX Arrrows,,,,,,,:?

Glenny
03-31-2012, 03:28 PM
what do you mean angle??

If it was staight into the house (at no angle) I would think it was shot from a short distance.

bowhunterbruce
03-31-2012, 03:43 PM
hmmmmmmm maybe (dr) stands for doctor and you might have a good lawsuit potential $$$$$$$$$$,i'd hire a lawyer and a private detective.
piss anyone off lately?
possible pass through? ,any blood or blood rements on the snow?
maybe a deflected shot? ,any sevear rub marks along the arrows shaft?
lots of questions come to mind,that only the shooter would know the answer too.
bhb

GoatGuy
03-31-2012, 03:54 PM
I wouldn't worry too much. Probably just somebody shooting at a racoon or something.

These things happen....

TheProvider
03-31-2012, 03:56 PM
My cousin found a bullet hole in his house a few years ago. THough it was just a hole in the siding till he took off the siding. Sure enough he ending up digging out a bullet

Big Lew
03-31-2012, 04:15 PM
shops record nothing, its not a law that they do, maybe in other reaches around the world they do but not here., if they happen to have a record of the sale they might have a name but again they don't need to record it.
i would still take the arrow to a shop and see if they know or remember building it. or if the know anyone with the initials d.r

The shop I deal with does record the arrows made for customers. I can phone at any time and order more arrows without supplying anything more than the amount I need. He has the shaft, vane, and nock brand, their specifics including size, colour scheme, weights, and distance between nock and vane.

REMINGTON JIM
03-31-2012, 04:19 PM

Right on Bill - LMAO too funny ! RJ

Bow Walker
03-31-2012, 04:22 PM
The shop I deal with does record the arrows made for customers. I can phone at any time and order more arrows without supplying anything more than the amount I need. He has the shaft, vane, and nock brand, their specifics including size, colour scheme, weights, and distance between nock and vane.
Anyone serious about "repeat" business will keep a registry - I know I do............

SHAKER
03-31-2012, 04:50 PM
3 days ago i was cleaning up the side of my house.. the snow is finally gone and i was trying to divert some run off water away from my house to the yard next to mine and i noticed something weird there was a fletching sticking out of the siding about 4 inches from the ground.. i tried to pull it out but it was in there good i finally unscrewd it and pulled the arrow out im guessing its a broad head by how deep its in the side of my house. i dont bow hunt neither does my son and as far as i know the people next to me dont hunt.

Things happen..... and only 1 person might know how it got there. Since you unscrewed the arrow, maybe put it back in and post up a pic or 2. Not something to get twisted about though IMO.

Glenny
03-31-2012, 04:55 PM
I wouldn't worry too much. Probably just somebody shooting at a racoon or something.

These things happen....
If it happened once it could happen again ...Maybe. I'd worry a little.

Jagermeister
03-31-2012, 05:03 PM
I still don't get it. If the arrow had penetrated to the depth of half the arrow shaft, why would it not be protrubing into the inside of the house. Is it a crossbow bolt, thus having a reduced length? And thereby not penetrating to the depth of what we would think a 30" arrow would if it was to the depth of half a shaft length?
And where did this take place?
There are lots of Felts in Alberta, only one that the first name starts with a "D" and that is Darren Felt over in Red Deer, Alberta.

REMINGTON JIM
03-31-2012, 05:12 PM
Yea Jagermeister - good think you mentioned the felts from alberta - that will be a lead ! maybe they did a driveby arrow fling ! LMAO RJ

peashooter
03-31-2012, 05:29 PM
I still don't get it. If the arrow had penetrated to the depth of half the arrow shaft, why would it not be protrubing into the inside of the house. Is it a crossbow bolt, thus having a reduced length? And thereby not penetrating to the depth of what we would think a 30" arrow would if it was to the depth of half a shaft length?
And where did this take place?
There are lots of Felts in Alberta, only one that the first name starts with a "D" and that is Darren Felt over in Red Deer, Alberta.

even half a bolt would show up through most walls in a house. maybe this is just a bs story?? dunno. straight in tells very close range, half in wall but not in the house, 9 posts?? maybe someone stirring up shit??

Ambush
03-31-2012, 05:31 PM
Was the tip a fieldpoint or a broadhead?

According to many, if it was a mechanical, it could have just bounced off a deer, then failed to open and got poor penetration on the wall, before breaking at least two of the blades. :mrgreen::-D

If it was a Spitfire mechanical though, go to your neighbours house and check for holes, 'cause it may have went through several walls!!

Dontknow
03-31-2012, 05:33 PM
D.r. are the only letters on the fletching, it was written in felt. Randomly throwing out names probably isn't the most productive use of this thread........ just a thought.

SHAKER
03-31-2012, 06:34 PM
Lets just get back to hunting discussion.

J_T
03-31-2012, 08:05 PM
even half a bolt would show up through most walls in a house. maybe this is just a bs story?? dunno. straight in tells very close range, half in wall but not in the house, 9 posts?? maybe someone stirring up shit??Geeze, I don't know. I've been shooting for years and my arrows won't penetrate a light 1 x 6 fence when I miss. I've hit my shed and they don't even poke through.

If an arrow flies in the dark and no one hears it, is there danger? The arrow might not have been retrieved because the person may not have wanted to trespass or cause a scene. If it's the only arrow you've had ding your house, perhaps the person learned a lesson and it won't happen again.

While the situation does make one think, without more information, I'm not sure it was a danger at the time it occurred and I would probably stick the arrow on something as a memento and turn it into a good story.

Beyond a walk around the neighbourhood (looking for a target butt) I certainly wouldn't be talking about 'investigating' to the extent of asking local retailers.

buck nash
03-31-2012, 08:31 PM
Bear hunter 338-06 said he was house hunting.:mrgreen:

REMINGTON JIM
03-31-2012, 08:51 PM
Bear hunter 338-06 said he was house hunting.:mrgreen:

Yes he did ! but in the Sicamouse area ! hes innocent ! LOL RJ

digger dogger
03-31-2012, 09:35 PM

I'm pretty sure you don't have to put your WIN # on arrows in Alberta anymore. (not 100% on it tho)
I heard arrows were showing up with WIN #'s, in places the WIN # holder could not have been. (working out of town, vacation, ect)

goatdancer
03-31-2012, 10:13 PM
Must have been an elf. Went straight in 4 inches above ground?

Mark_S
03-31-2012, 10:45 PM
If this was inside the city limits I'd be very concerned about it especially if I had kids that play in the yard. Not to mention the hole in my house that's going to let water into the walls.

The Dude
03-31-2012, 11:14 PM
D.R. in Prince George. Hmm, maybe it was Dod Rartell?

Is Dod House-hunting now? Sounds like a gut shot!

Hey hunting PG: What is the overall length of the projectile?
(Ya'll can see where I'm taking this....... :D )

Nekhani
03-31-2012, 11:40 PM
Yup..No question....Sounds like a First Nations drive by shooting to me..

hunter1947
04-01-2012, 02:05 AM
Someone hunting in your area shot at a deer and missed the deer ended up on the side of your home..

Bow Walker
04-01-2012, 09:44 AM
Is Dod House-hunting now? Sounds like a gut shot!

Hey hunting PG: What is the overall length of the projectile?
(Ya'll can see where I'm taking this....... :D )
I'd be interested to know if it was a cross bow bolt rather than an arrow too...........

jetboat jim
04-01-2012, 10:23 AM
thinking about this for a while .............it may help if the regs say as a bow hunter you MUST write your name and hunter # on your fletching , this may help but I know it wont stop poaching .

scoutlt1
04-01-2012, 10:26 AM
thinking about this for a while .............it may help if the regs say as a bow hunter you MUST write your name and hunter # on your fletching , this may help but I know it wont stop poaching .

grrrrr.......

aggiehunter
04-01-2012, 10:28 AM
There is no requirment in Alberta to have your name or any other ID on your arrow...nor should there be..there is a Bowhunter Permit required..go figure hey!

jetboat jim
04-01-2012, 11:22 AM
why not ? if your a honest hunter you have nothing to lose !

grizzlydueck
04-01-2012, 12:24 PM
We should have it mandatory that each arrow has a bar code in which the rcmp firearms registry would have a record. So say a villian was to have robbed a bank and shot an arrow ...then the rcmp would scan the barcode and then get a list off how many arrows the suspect would be in possesion of at his residence or possibly in his or her motor vehicle. That would save alot of time and ony cost around 4.2 billion dollars or sorry thats the inhouse figue ....as for the press statement 2.2 billion! seriously think about it .......................................better checkand make sure that arrow didn't punture a water line -drain pipe or electrical wire Iv'e seen lots of strange things in walls being in the reno bussiness! just something to think about !

grizzlydueck
04-01-2012, 12:36 PM
There was a time in alberta that you had to have id on each arrow and if a co pulled you over and checked you would be in big CaCa if it wasn't done !
I'm so so on that idea! it worked great that a dumb ass in kimberley decided to poach on of the big town bucks with his bow =lobbed the bucks head off and left his arrow in the carcass with his personal info on the shaft ! I guess it's called karma ! Then a bunch of locals jokingly put the poachers name on all their arrows!
NOW THATS FUNNY !

peashooter
04-01-2012, 12:59 PM
why should i put my name and my hunter number on arrows for someone to find. some good may come of it, but lots of bad could come of it as well, so no thanks.

Big Lew
04-01-2012, 01:23 PM
I'm alright with my Pro Shop keeping my arrow specifics so that he can re-produce more of the same for me, but I'm not agreeable to being forced to put my name and/or hunter number on them. There's far too much room for fraudulent abuse and sabotage.

zoomer
04-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Local kids playing cowboys and first nations if it's an arrow,robin hood and the sheriff of nottingham if it's a bolt.

Ambush
04-01-2012, 01:40 PM

And also on ALL your bullets. Why descriminate??

J_T
04-01-2012, 06:26 PM
thinking about this for a while .............it may help if the regs say as a bow hunter you MUST write your name and hunter # on your fletching , this may help but I know it wont stop poaching . Boy, this ones been floating through MOE for 20 years. What a ridiculous thing. Should Rifle hunters put an identifying mark on their bullet? Can I borrow your arrow? What if I take the arrow that I find stuck in my house and go hunting with it?

ryanhuntslots
04-01-2012, 07:35 PM
Does the side of your house look anything like the broad side of a barn, I hit one of those once!

huntingpg
04-01-2012, 09:07 PM
i might of been exagerating about the arrow being so far in.. i would say 6 to 8 inches and im told its definatly not a cross bow arrow im not to worried about it just thought it was odd

The Dawg
04-01-2012, 09:11 PM
Post a pic of the offending object. You will get a definite yes/no to arrow vs. bolt.

grizzlydueck
04-01-2012, 09:34 PM
I was being sarcastic about the barcode thing! Lol in case someone thought i was serious !

Jagermeister
04-01-2012, 10:15 PM
I was being sarcastic about the barcode thing! Lol in case someone thought i was serious !
Why are you apologizing? It's April Fools Day, so I don't think anyone took you too seriously.

trigger
04-02-2012, 08:22 AM
sounds like an indian drive by shooting

DMA1983
04-02-2012, 08:29 PM
sounds like an indian drive by shooting
I would imagine the same, or a guides foreign client . I believe first nations are allowed to shoot one house per year for sustenance and there is a heavy allocation for guides, while the rest of us have to wait around for a house leh.

SimilkameenSlayer
04-03-2012, 05:56 PM
apparently, house taxidermy is very tricky ....

aggiehunter
04-04-2012, 09:06 PM
Post a pic...we all know what each other shoots.....I got an arrow back to a guy in the Ek who wounded an Elk the year before....the guy that killed it was from Region 8 and it took only a few moments of my time to track the owner down...hmmmmm!

Survival Bill
04-05-2012, 09:44 PM
You found my arrow I shot out of my shotgun thanks can I have it back now....

moose2
04-06-2012, 02:59 AM

You didn't happen to divert the water from your yard to the neibours yard last year as well did you. Maybe they don't like that.
Mike

nowheels
04-08-2012, 05:32 PM
do you live near a reserve?