PDA

View Full Version : scope mounting confusion

twoSevenO
10-25-2006, 09:59 PM
Hey Folks.

I'm ordering my rings and bases tomorrow, as well as my VX-I 3-9x40 Leupold scope. I will be getting Leupold Dual Dovetail rings and bases and i'm confused whether to get low or medium rings.

I used the "mount selector" on leupold's site and they recommend the lows.
I read an online article where mediums were recommended. Any thoughts?

The scope will be mounted on a Remington 700 CDL .270Win in Left-hand.

todbartell
10-25-2006, 10:11 PM
lows should be ok but I always used mediums

twoSevenO
10-25-2006, 10:16 PM
that's all i need to know .... you know your remington/leupold stuff.

thanks bud :)

boxhitch
10-26-2006, 09:03 AM
No one can tell you how the scope should be set up for YOU as you are the one holding the rifle. The difference in scope height has to do with the way you take a cheek-weld on the stock and what feels comfortable to you. I just put a new 'compact' scope on my Ruger, tried the low rings, the ones for that 'compact' package. and it felt like shit, and would have hurt when shot. The mediums are far quicker to aquire a comfortable position and good sight picture.
Do the DO, and try different ones to see what fits best. You will be happier in the end.

brotherjack
10-26-2006, 09:26 AM
Yeah, what boxhitch said. It's all about your comfort/ease when shooting. For a prime example - my wife likes an extra high mounted scope and very little cheek contact with the stock (more of a 'chin weld' I call it), and I like a super-low mount and the whole side of my face pressed firmly up against the stock. Both of us shoot plenty well with our respective setups, and would probably shoot worse if we were less comfortable.

Caveman
10-26-2006, 09:34 AM
Doesn't hurt to take the gun in and let them set it up for u, they'll try both setups and let u decide which best fits u. they'll also bore sight at that time to save u a few shells on the range. Minimal cost, $10 - $15

twoSevenO
10-26-2006, 01:23 PM
I don't think there is enough difference between the mediums/highs/lows to warrant "chin against stock" versus "whole face against stock" as mentioned above. If that is the case we're talking tunnel mounts on a scope versus ordinary low/medium rings.
The biggest factor with lows/mediums is mounting a 40mm objective scope and making sure there is sufficient clearance to clear the barrel.
If you like "super low" rings but your scope doesn't fit on the rifle because of them, then there really is no point in you liking the super lows. So to me the primary factor is making sure the scope will fit on the rifle first :D