PDA

View Full Version : 3D shoot???

Mike26
03-29-2012, 07:16 PM
So really new to Archery, but also really competitive.
What is the jist of this 3D shoot I am hearing about?
Can someone give me the low down?

Vader
03-29-2012, 09:01 PM
I personnaly don't shoot to win. I shoot to improve my yardage estimation and angle shots, uphill and downhill. My best competitor is myself. I gauge my success on how much I improved over the last shoot or last year. I think it teaches you what shots not to take, (you have to shoot for points not kill), and what your limitations are. Pretty important stuff in hunting conditions. Nothing like a couple of buddies to go with and dish out some good ol fashion ribbing... all in fun.

Different shoots have different setups. some do 3 rounds of 15 targets, some do 2 rounds or more of 20. Targets are scored 5 for foam 8 for lung area and 10 for heart. some count the really small area in the 10 as a 12 and some use it as an X. In the advent of a tie the most 10 X's wins. Targets are placed at varying distances and in some fairly interesting poses or conditions that reduce the size of the kill zone or leave it slightly obstructed.

Some shots have to be from a sitting or some might require a platform such as a tree stand or even from a kneeling position. Some targets may be moving, (bear on a cable), some may be hazardous to your arrows if missed, steel turkey or goat, You have to shoot from the stake or ribbon at each target. Different yardage stakes are set out for men, women, youth and cubs.

Usually range finders are not allowed but there are some shoots that allow their use. Binoculars are quite common.
Overnite camping is quite common. Some shoots have after hours activities such as a "coon" hunt. 8 seconds or so to shoot a target by lamp light. Always food, drink and conversation available. Lots of free advise and tips for bow tuning, care and selection of shafts and if your in the market.. test shoot your next bow..

Mike26
03-29-2012, 09:32 PM
What are the usual ranges? I would hate to go to a shoot and end up trying to hit targets that are out of my range.

mikeboehm
03-29-2012, 09:41 PM
20-60 yards. There always different

BiG Boar
03-29-2012, 10:00 PM
Definitley worth going. It's not really a competition thing as much as it is a fun thing. Lots of youth, and plenty of geezers. I do them whenever I can. A great learning experience.

REMINGTON JIM
03-29-2012, 10:26 PM
Some of the best shooting fun i have ever had is 3D Archery shoots ! they are great ! RJ

Mike26
03-29-2012, 10:36 PM
60 yards eh? i might nee to brush up a bit, I am really inconsistent after 40 yards, or does it really matter if I am willing to buy new arrows after wards? lol

Bow Walker
03-30-2012, 09:37 AM
Vader has pretty much summed it up. Although i will add that 3D shoots are more about hunting scenarios than they are about target shooting - hence the 3D animals involved.

Always lots of different bows and bow-types to look at, always lots of good people to chat with, always well worth the effort to attend. Some of the better venues on the Island are Cowichan, Nanaimo, Qualicum, Courtenay, and Campbell River. These are some of the ones that I have been to and would highly recommend that you got to.

Yardage estimation is key to shooting your best scores - as no rangefinders are allowed (except maybe once or twice per year) - it teaches you about shooting different game animals in their natural habitat and in varying body positions, such as quartering-away, quartering-to, and bedded. Best learning experience (coupled with good family fun) that can be had.