PDA

View Full Version : ATV Gun Boot- Problems

browningboy
10-25-2006, 09:10 PM
I seem to have to replace my ATV guncase each year because it always cracks around the mounting bolt holes and it gets annoying having to buy a new one each year, are other people getting the same thing? If not what type of reciever are you using? Off hand I believe mines a Kolpin or something like that, could use some hints as I could buy more tags instead of cases!:lol:

BlacktailStalker
10-25-2006, 09:31 PM
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp;jsessionid=0BIGMPATVDWMSCWQNWSCCNIK0BW0KI WE?id=0027536521534a&type=product&cmCat=perf&rid=0180101070502&xpid=k2776&cm_ven=Performics&cm_cat=Affiliate%2Dclick&cm_pla=Shopping.com&cm_ite=DDI%20Link&_requestid=95979

These are the way to go. I have em and love em. They are wide enough to put your soft case in them with your rifle/shotty inside to protect it, provides quicker access and the jaws come off easily just leaving the base on your quad rack. I dont like how the gun boot forces you to mount/dismount from one side and you have to remove and manage the scabbord top piece. Just a suggestion that has worked for me and friends for a couple months now!

Mr. Dean
10-25-2006, 09:41 PM
I have two GunSlinger cases mounted on my set of wheels. One for three years and the other for two years. No problems.

Mine mount to a set of rubber blocks on the cargo carrier. the cases are then sinch strapped to the mounts. Same idea as a bow mount.....But a little different. :)

I remember WallyWorld having them and Mike over at S.S.S. (Langley) price matched.

browningboy
10-25-2006, 09:54 PM
Thanks guys, have to look at your installations, cause mines a pain in the @@s!

zedex
10-25-2006, 10:17 PM
hmm. I have a kolpin 4 gun boot with kolpin plastic/fiberglass mount. Never had a problem and it has been through very rough times. I even rolled the quad with case and gun on it and it never broke the bracket.

Fisher-Dude
10-25-2006, 11:06 PM
I use the Gun Boot IV slip in style...no fuss, no muss. Works like a hot damn!

http://www.mosquitocreekoutdoors.com/images/atv/kolpin/gunboot/gb_mount.jpg

honda450
10-26-2006, 03:10 AM
I also use the Kolpin IV, never any problems.

Ronforca
10-26-2006, 08:19 AM
I have two Kolpins and never had a problem.One is quite old.

Tarp Man
10-26-2006, 10:07 AM
I've used the Plano Gunslinger now for a couple years, and it is holding up fine. The only issue I had is the tab that you are supposed to slide into the guncase had a rubber finish on the edge. That lasted for one day. Other than that, I use tow bungees one above and one below the metal "holster". This helps with the lateral bouncing in rough terrain. I think that is what would pooch the case on mine. Maybe you should try to do the same. After all, you are not removing the case from the ATV when hunting, only the rifle.

Gunner
10-26-2006, 10:47 AM
I use the Kolpin,but I'm going to switch.When I rolled my quad,the Kolpin held up well,no damage to the gun or case,however because of the way they mount I could not get off.Damage to me:5 broken ribs,and a dislocated thumb on the brake hand.I'm moving my case to the front rack,so I can bail from either side in an emergency!It could have been a lot worse,so think about how you'll get off with the side mount in the way.Gunner

browningboy
10-26-2006, 05:16 PM
I like fisher dudes mount, theres no mounting holes that will crack etc.
I surprised that alot of feedback is good about the holes, mine keep cracking, what the hell?

Husky7mm
10-26-2006, 08:24 PM
:evil: I have the same problem. Im on my third Kolpin. Its not the "new "version though. Mine has a couple of wing nuts to hold it on to the mounting bracket. The lid part has one pin to hold it on and its on the bottom. Thats the problem. I dont put my gun in the case unless its raining. That may be a problem too because having the gun inside would keep the lid rigid and probably it wouldnt move so much, Which is what is causing the cracks.:?: If I buy a different boot I need a new mounting bracket also. That sucks, another $60.:icon_frow

Phred
10-26-2006, 08:29 PM
I use the Gun Boot IV slip in style...no fuss, no muss. Works like a hot damn!

http://www.mosquitocreekoutdoors.com/images/atv/kolpin/gunboot/gb_mount.jpg
I have the same one and it's still fine after five years. A buddy has a newer style that's broken right at the bolt mounts.

ryanb
10-26-2006, 08:34 PM
:evil: I have the same problem. Im on my third Kolpin. Its not the "new "version though. Mine has a couple of wing nuts to hold it on to the mounting bracket. The lid part has one pin to hold it on and its on the bottom. Thats the problem. I dont put my gun in the case unless its raining. That may be a problem too because having the gun inside would keep the lid rigid and probably it wouldnt move so much, Which is what is causing the cracks.:?: If I buy a different boot I need a new mounting bracket also. That sucks, another $60.:icon_frow

Had this one, and it broke too. I bought the newer model that a couple of people have posted pictures of here. I rolled my quad at low speed a couple of weeks ago and it landed right on the gun boot, and the new one held up just fine, not even a "scratch"...ok ok maybe there were a few scratches and a dent in my ego.

I don't know about those grip ones, or leaving the lid off. I tried leaving the lid off mine a few times and it got so dusty and gritty in there that it took me forever to clean my gun enough to get the action to work smoothly.

browningboy
10-26-2006, 08:48 PM
Looks like I'll have to go to the new style as I'm tired of spending $60 on a boot when I can get some Tags / gas or whatever instead! By the way, when you guys are rolling your quads, are you going off too much camber or end for end, damn my machine would probly flatten me, couldn't imagine, well leaset you didn't bend your rifle, or did you! Damn missed again!:smile:

Fisher-Dude
10-26-2006, 09:15 PM
I have the same one and it's still fine after five years. A buddy has a newer style that's broken right at the bolt mounts.

Same thing happened to my buddy last year with a new one...the tip of his case touched the ground crossing a ditch, and disintegrated all around the bolt holes. I think it may be a weak spot, as it looked like it was really brittle to me.

The slip in style is so much easier to use too...in the dark in the morning, it takes 30 seconds to slide your case into the bracket and attach the clevis pins. The wing nut styles are a pain in the ass to thread...and one of our group has had the plastic bust off the wing nut, so he's dickin' with pliers in the dark to tighten his up. The bolt mount ones shake more from vibration too, and usually require a couple of bungies to help steady them.

The slip in style can be mounted at a near vertical angle too, so in Gunner's roll-over-gotta-bail emergency, you can still bail out on the case side if need be.

As for the open grip ones...I saw some dudes in a snowstorm a few weeks ago, and wondered how the hell they were gonna shoot anything with the frozen blocks of snow (oh, those were their guns!) in their open racks. The days it doesn't snow or rain on your gun, it fills with dust. Better to put your gun inside your Kolpin, leave the top clevis pin out of the back cover, and you're good to go with a dry clean gun, with quick access if need be.

zedex
10-26-2006, 09:41 PM
Looks like I'll have to go to the new style as I'm tired of spending $60 on a boot when I can get some Tags / gas or whatever instead! By the way, when you guys are rolling your quads, are you going off too much camber or end for end, damn my machine would probly flatten me, couldn't imagine, well leaset you didn't bend your rifle, or did you! Damn missed again!:smile:

When i rolled my machine i was going very slow in between 2 trees. Could just fit a quad between them. Anyways. I wasnt watching the trail and one tire decided to go up the one tree. The quad flipped instantaneously with me under it. I had to winch the machine up that same tree to get it back on its wheels.
The quad landed right on the gunboot and it held up fine. I have about 3500 kms on the gun boot now and its still in perfect condition.
The only gripe i have on the gun boot is the gun boot lid which is very hard to get off. I put a handle on it and now i can pull the lid in a second.

Fisher-Dude
10-26-2006, 10:04 PM
The only gripe i have on the gun boot is the gun boot lid which is very hard to get off. I put a handle on it and now i can pull the lid in a second.

Good idea on the handle. Or, just use a shot of silicone spray once in a while. That crap is a little known wonder spray for anything plastic!

ellellbee
10-26-2006, 10:17 PM
We mounted our Kolpin on our BW. Yes, it cracked, but we added large washers on each side of the mounting bolt when we installed it and even though it has cracked it is still holding.

zedex
10-27-2006, 06:30 AM
Heres a pic of the handle if anyone is interested in doing it. Its a karcher handle(rubber)http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b376/zedex/gunboot1.jpg

browningboy
10-27-2006, 09:03 PM
Has anyone ever tried mounting to the front rack, ya I know it sounds dumb but when you think about, easy quick access and as long as you dont go into a thicket, it should last awhile and never have the end fall off and have to go back kms to retrieve?