PDA

View Full Version : German sheperd

kodiak10
03-28-2012, 04:24 PM
Im getting a pup in the next few weeks. Anybody take there's out hunting with them? Im hoping I'll be able to make him a good hunting partner.

scallywag
03-28-2012, 04:42 PM
best dogs in the world. i dont take him hunting. where did you get your pup from

madrona sh
03-28-2012, 04:57 PM
Had one and boy do I miss him.

kodiak10
03-28-2012, 05:02 PM
I live in Creston and getting him local. Both parents are purebreads and seem well mannered.

madrona sh
03-28-2012, 05:16 PM
Best dog I ever owned. Now i'm sad.
you will love yours i'm sure of that.

1980skywalker
03-28-2012, 05:28 PM
I have one too, and yes best dog I have ever had but I can never take him hunting with me. I made the mistake when he was a puppy shooting guns around him, maybe too soon, maybe it was just his personality and it would have happened regardless. But now he goes nuts every time he sees a gun, he will literally jump up and try to bite the barrel. So my advice would be to break him in slowly with guns as something so simple keeps him from coming out with me. Other than that shepherds are amazing, super smart, super loyal, all around great dogs.

kodiak10
03-28-2012, 05:48 PM
Thats what I was wondering about. I will have to look into that more. Thanks

bull
03-28-2012, 06:51 PM
I have had 3 of them and they are the best dog's ever owed. I had to put my last big guy down 2 years ago and boy do I miss him.
If you have kids a Shepherd will be their best friend and yours. They are the best family dog you could ask for at least I think so with the 3 I have owned and trained. Good luck Gerry.

fuzzy
03-28-2012, 08:20 PM
I dont have a Shepherd but do have a Bouvier which is also a versatial working dog. Most people focus on protection, agility and obedience training with these types of breeds but there is no reason you cant take them in the field with you. I am not an experienced handler or hunter for that matter so take my post with a grain of salt. My dog is not a "gundog" or "retreiver" but is a great companion when in the bush. I harvested my first deer with him along this fall. Go to obedience class asap. Dont encourage any behavior such as whining, barking, chasing wildlife etc that you will find annoying or detrimental to your hunt. As far as getting accustomed to gunfire, i started taking him to the range at 3months and he would hang out in his crate, in the truck, the windows just cracked for ventilation. I left him with a bully stick to entertain him so he was relaxed and the gunfire was very muffled in the truck. As time progressed I lowered the windows and would let him out of the crate. He now has no fear of firearms, but i also dont fire often with him close as i dont want to scare him or damge his hearing.

Most of all have fun with your new companion

fuzzy

monasheemountainman
03-28-2012, 11:00 PM
i love mine he is the best friend a guy could ask for.... i leave him at camp as he is not a trained hunting dog but he can hold camp for sure with the wife... how long have you lived in creston...i used to live there... awesome place!!!

Sasquatch
03-28-2012, 11:12 PM
Love the breed. They are really smart dogs, I don't doubt they could learn to be good hunting companions - without a doubt they can learn to track. Might even be able to teach one to retrieve a bird, it sure wouldn't surprise me when it comes to shepherds.

Now, if you can get him to point - I may just go out and get one.

5 spike
03-29-2012, 05:13 AM
Ihave a black shepard very smart and very loyal, she is excellent around children. I have never hunted with her but she has been out with me in the bush many times and loves it. She is also very behaved around other dogs. This dog when i am walking in the bush will never be more than 15 feet in any direction away from me and she always looks back to check on me truly an amazing breed. I also have a bluetick and these two are the best of friends.