PDA

View Full Version : Stain / Laquer / Sealer for antlers

russm86
03-28-2012, 02:11 PM
So first off, sorry if this is the wrong area to post this under but I couldnt really see anywhere it fit in. Anyways, what I was wanting to know is if anyone on this site might have a recommendation for staining and sealing or lacquering, or whatever one would do, antlers from deer, moose, etc? I have a lot of antlers at home, mine and some of my fathers, that have been bleached white by the sun. Is there any suggestions on what to use to give them some colour back? Maybe something to put over the paint and newer antlers to help them keep the color? Any brand and colour name or numbers that any of you might use for your antlers that look somewhat natural or realistic would be very useful. I also should add that this stuff is all outside so I need something that may have a good chance at standing up to the elements for a while. Thank you for any input.

Marlin375
03-28-2012, 02:19 PM
I don't know if it is right or not but I use shoe polish...pick your colour.

Ddog
03-28-2012, 02:21 PM
do a search on here,, its been covered........lots
lots of different answers for the colouring of antlers.

swampthing
03-28-2012, 02:22 PM
Use a 50/50 mix of linsead oil and walnut stain. I saw some done this way and thought they looked good. I have a couple I need to do myself.

rocksteady
03-28-2012, 02:23 PM
Color - Potassium Permanganate

Sealing - any clear liquid plastic type stuff should work...Try it on a crap set first to ensure good results...

lovemywinchester
03-28-2012, 02:32 PM
Van Dyke's Brush on Wipe Off antler paint. Never tried it but read its a great product. Let me know if you try it.

http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/Antler-Repair-C1619.aspx

russm86
03-28-2012, 03:14 PM
So for the potassium permanganate is it a powder or solid substance that you have to mix or does it come as a liquid solution? Or do you just rub the powder into the antler? If I have to mix what are the amounts or ratios? Also any more suggestions on a sealer for putting them outside?

shed-hunter1
03-28-2012, 08:23 PM
if you ever want to sell them i wouldnt add stain just leave them alone

GRIZZEZE
03-28-2012, 08:40 PM
I used potassium permanganate to do mine, it comes as a powder and you mix it with either rubbing alcohol or water. All you have to do is brush it on, don't worry it goes on purple, but turns the antlers a nice brown. MAKE SURE YOU WEAR GLOVES WHEN WORKING WITH THIS STUFF. Anything it touches will turn brown. Put on as many light coats as you want until you get the color that you want then let dry. Once dry you can take some fine sand paper or steel wool and go over all the bumps and the tips of the antlers to get a real life look and then seal. For sealing the stain and antlers afterwards I use Krylon clear coat in a matte finish, seems to work good and anyone can do it.
If you need more info just ask

russm
03-28-2012, 08:44 PM
Rub dirt all over them,its not like they'd be stained or lacquered if they were still attached to the critter,I'd assume that's where most of the original color would come from anyway.

SHAKER
03-28-2012, 09:20 PM
Van Dyke's Brush on Wipe Off antler paint. Never tried it but read its a great product. Let me know if you try it.

http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/Antler-Repair-C1619.aspx

All the ones I've try'd are too red strait out of the bottle...... I use this stuff but tint it down with dark brown paint. Results have been good.

paulo
03-28-2012, 09:27 PM
Boiled linseed oil. Apply with a tooth brush and cloth, wipe off excess. Two coats, outside, possibly three. Done.

thumper1
03-28-2012, 10:38 PM
I use Minwax stains - 'Provincial' and 'Walnut'. You can buy them at any hardware in the very small cans - so they don't cost you much, and you can rub it in with a rag for the darkness and highlights you want. Gives very realistic rsults - not a 'painted on' look at all. It also gives it a very slight sheen when rubbed in- but not a fake looking high gloss that a varathane or varnish would make.

doubled
03-29-2012, 12:48 PM
I used the Potassium P. Here is the thread on it.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?57773-Antler-Restoration-Project-before-and-after

lovemywinchester
03-29-2012, 06:08 PM
Where can I get the Pot. p and how is it mixed?

Apolonius
03-29-2012, 06:22 PM
Antler stains are kind of red.Do try jell stain and for finish use a 10% ...wich is very flat and doesn't give the glossy fake look.It is possible to get this things in a paint store and it would be very inexpensive.I am doing some antlers for a friend of mine.They are all white and when i am done they look very natural.But this is what i do...kind of.

doubled
03-29-2012, 07:32 PM
Where can I get the Pot. p and how is it mixed?

I bought mine at London Drugs Pharmacy. You have to request it and they look at you weird but explain what you are doing and they are fine. It is cheap too. $10.00 will last for years.

russm86
03-30-2012, 07:52 AM
Yea, check with a compounding pharmacy. Rexall drugs said they could order it if need be but to check a compounding pharmacy. I found some at Pratt's Compounding pharmacy in Kamloops. They say they keep a consistent supply of it and have actually heard of it being used for this purpose and sold it to people for this purpose before. As Doubled said it is very cheap, I was shocked at the price, it is actually cheaper than any paints or stains you could buy. I did a google search and the mixture ratios I found were between 1/2 a teaspoon of potassium permanganate to 1 and 1/2 cups of water and 1/2 teaspoon pot. permanganate to 1/2 cup of water. I am going to start with the 1/2 teaspoon to 1.5cups to start and see how dark it is, you can always do more coats to darken up but hard to go the other way I think. If not dark enough I'll go to 1/2teaspoon to 1cup of water next and so on.

lovemywinchester
03-30-2012, 08:03 AM
Thanks russ. I'll check it out.

Blktail
03-31-2012, 06:41 PM
Potassium P. is the way to go. That is what museums use. Make the solution as concentrated ds you can. It stains the proteins in the antlers brown (fingers too). Looks very good. Feather the colour to white at the antler tips. Mny coats to do a good job, but easy and long lasting. Do not use sealer as it looks very unnatural.

I got mine at Mcgill & Ourme years ago. Rexall should be able to get it. Plus you can mix it with sugar and drop a little glycerin on it for spontaneous combustion. (Scout secret)

hunter1947
04-01-2012, 02:13 AM
Color - Potassium Permanganate

Sealing - any clear liquid plastic type stuff should work...Try it on a crap set first to ensure good results...

X2 I agree with rocksteady I use the potassium permanganate and have had real good resalts..