PDA

View Full Version : Goat better "huntingdog" ?

snowhunter
03-28-2012, 07:19 AM
http://www.nrk.no/nyheter/distrikt/hedmark_og_oppland/1.8053677

"Rex" the Norwegian goat was responsible for chasing up a fox, as well as the owner claim that "Rex" the goat can defent itself much better against the wolf's than a dog can ?

I think myself that a donkey, who understands Norwegian, would be a better choice, and an asset while hunting :)

The Norwegian hunter, Wim Freudenborg, is also planning to use his hunting goat during the moose hunt.

snowhunter
03-28-2012, 03:18 PM
Wim Freudenborg have trained his hunting goat"Rex" for two years, and so far, with the help of his goat, shot birds, hare and fox.

When Wim showed up with his hunting goat "Rex" at the hunting camp, his buddies had a good laugh, and thought Wim was going nuts. However, Wim claim that "Rex" is a great hunter, and with his keen sense of smell and hearing, instantly knows when there is game around.

However, the reasons for Wim using "Rex" in the first place, is that Wim believe that the goat "Rex", is more safe from predatory wolf's that a dog would be, is questionable, since a pack of wolf have no problem in downing a grown moose.

Tenacious Billy
03-28-2012, 03:20 PM
Hmmmmmm.....you don't say.

Foxton Gundogs
03-28-2012, 04:24 PM
AHHHH but does it retrieve from waterlol???

Sasquatch
03-28-2012, 04:51 PM
I wonder what the regs are about hunting with a goat?

snowhunter
03-28-2012, 05:20 PM
The Hunting Regulations does not mention anything about the use of "hunting goats", and should be an excellent way of bypassing the Hunting Regulations, legally :)

buzz720
03-28-2012, 05:47 PM
It is the next generation of decoys, now if only I could train an elk...

snowhunter
03-29-2012, 04:22 AM
According to this Norwegian language article, Wim and his hunting goat "Rex" was first meet with scepticsm by his his hunting buddies, which now have turned into enthusiasm when ever Wim and his trained hunting goat shows up for a hunt.

snowhunter
03-29-2012, 04:44 AM
http://www.ostlendingen.no/nyheter/trysil-engerdal/jakter-med-geiter-isteden-for-hunder-1.7157490

In this Norwegian newspaper, Wim tells he is very proud of the hunting skills of Norways first "hunting goat", and have localy demonstrated the hunting skills of "Rex", and have received rapports from neighboring Sweden, "that they also to have noticed the keen and sharp hunting skills of goats".

snowhunter
03-29-2012, 05:09 AM
Sorry fellas, Wim admids now to have broken the April fools rules, by telling his story, before April the first :)

Wim was on Norwegian TV as well, as well as featured on several newspapers.