PDA

View Full Version : Inreach messaging device

bridger
03-27-2012, 11:17 PM
Has anyone had experience with the inreach texting system supposed to be similar to spot but can also receive text? Are they stand alone or need to attach to cell phone?

KB90
03-27-2012, 11:54 PM
Hey bridger,

You will need to pair it with a device so that you can write and read text. The device does work stand alone similar to spot as well but you will not be able to use the 2 way text.

I know they have software for android phones but they also work with the delhorme gps (pn-60w). I've read they are currently working on the software for iphone as well. Here's the link to the delhorme gps/inreach combo.

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=10820&minisite=10020/

Cheers Kyle

bridger
03-28-2012, 06:30 AM
Thanks for the info

tbocking
03-28-2012, 07:30 PM
they have had the app for the iphone for quite a while now
it was available when I bought mine last year

.330 Dakota
03-28-2012, 08:17 PM
If you have cell service your not really hunting...lol

Jagermeister
03-28-2012, 08:56 PM
How about this Bridger?
http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=116

Slinky Pickle
03-28-2012, 08:59 PM
If you have cell service your not really hunting...lol

This unit doesn't require cell service. The phone simply sends and receives Bluetoogh signals to the Inreach. The actual data is sent out or received via satellite. I've used my Spot this way and it's great. The Spot however will only allow you to send a text, not receive one. At least you can tell someone whether you are ok or not.

ryanb
04-02-2012, 08:44 PM
Without the Delorme GPS or android phone they work just like the spot with one big difference. You get confirmation on the device that your message was received. The price point on these, however, is really missing the mark. You can get an actual sat phone for only a little more, and it is easier to change the usage plans around hunting season with the sat phone than the inreach. You are looking at 300 bucks + a year for the subscription for the inreach.

500grhollowpoint
04-02-2012, 09:23 PM
We looked all over for info on the iphone for this and couldn't find it.Someone post a link. When we looked a couple months ago there was no capability for iphone.