PDA

View Full Version : Curious about the shed hunting

bosca
03-27-2012, 10:44 PM
I have read many a thread on shed hunting and am curious about the 'why' 'where' and 'how'...
Off the bat I'm guessing that its a great excuse to get out into deer country (winter range) and check out what kind of deer one could expect in the upcoming season.
Are there certain specific kinds of areas where you would find sheds more often? Ie., open country, dense bush, deciduous stands...I have found sheds over the years but have never really taken note of common location.
Why do you enjoy as much as you do? How does it help your hunting strategy.
If you don't mind my asking...

Walkntalk
03-28-2012, 08:38 AM
X2 ...
I plan a spring bear hunt in an area I'm convinced is PRIME Muley wintering ground. I figure I'll try hunting for sheds at the same time!

Some tips would be very helpful! I'm figuring best spots would be in the dark timbre, near bedding and feeding grounds? On the right track?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

WnT

greenhorn
03-28-2012, 08:40 AM
I'm from the island and shed hunt mainly blacktail antlers. I tend to find them on steep mossy bluffs that offer alot of concealment and escape. Basically the shittier and steeper the terrain, the more deer sign I find.
Reason - good way to learn an area inside and out, good exercise, i love antler, my dog loves hiking, .....

MOUNTAIN MAN - TOYOTA/ATV
03-28-2012, 08:57 AM
My dog and I love shed hunting. We found lots of shed antlers in some open areas, near a tree line, next to a fence and on mountain quad trails. My shed antlers that are new and in good shape are inside our home and the others are outside on a tree. It is good exercise too.

lovemywinchester
03-28-2012, 09:44 AM
Sheds are where you find them. I just pick a spot off the road where I see deer tracks, in snow or mud, and start hiking. That's it. If you start finding an area where there are lots of droppings old and new concentrate on that area. Go slowly and really look around. Real slow. I think the easy areas have been picked over already so you may have to get back in the bush a bit. I am finding people tracks in a lot of areas now. Climbed a mountain near Kamloops last weekend and was near the top and came across fresh boot prints. Bummed out but just move over a 100 m and keep looking. That's how I found my 5x5 skull. I think the biggest thing is perseverance and staying keen. Take a gps and keep track so as the day goes on you can look and see where you have been. Its a good way to save you from covering the same ground. I have found them in all different kinds of spots. No magic pattern revealing itself yet. Time on the ground is the key.

SR80
03-28-2012, 08:21 PM
Was that in the dew drop up to red plateau trail? I came across fresh boot track near the top when I was coming down, and was like wtf? Haha.

lovemywinchester
03-28-2012, 08:29 PM
Was that in the dew drop up to red plateau trail? I came across fresh boot track near the top when I was coming down, and was like wtf? Haha.

It wasn't but You just saved me hike up there. Guys are crawling the woods.

Fella
03-28-2012, 08:41 PM
Does one need a hunting license to collect sheds?

SR80
03-28-2012, 08:53 PM
Theres one guy that hits the dew drop and red area hard. Ive heard stories that he has 25 shed days. Some days he'll hike from sun up to sun down in search of antler. I wonder if he is a member of this forum?

sawmill
03-29-2012, 05:45 AM
Does one need a hunting license to collect sheds?

Nope.Go nuts.

shed-hunter1
03-29-2012, 06:06 PM
Theres one guy that hits the dew drop and red area hard. Ive heard stories that he has 25 shed days. Some days he'll hike from sun up to sun down in search of antler. I wonder if he is a member of this forum?

yeah i heard about that guy i heard hes crazy dont let him catch you in his area

1980skywalker
03-29-2012, 06:17 PM
Sounds a bit like a sasquatch... does he throw rocks and scream too?

lovemywinchester
03-29-2012, 06:22 PM
This type of turf dispute would probably be settled at the trail head in a different manner. Slashed tires, broken glass or water in the gas tank. Seems to be the "locals" way.

shed-hunter1
03-29-2012, 08:11 PM
This type of turf dispute would probably be settled at the trail head in a different manner. Slashed tires, broken glass or water in the gas tank. Seems to be the "locals" way.

so your gone to slash somebodys tires if you think there shed hunting where you want to go is that what your saying

lovemywinchester
03-29-2012, 08:33 PM
so your gone to slash somebodys tires if you think there shed hunting where you want to go is that what your saying

No way. I'm the exact opposite of that thinking. I'm new here and move a lot so I'm always on everybody elses turf. Its just all stuff I have witnessed over the years steelheading and always worring about leaving your truck. Guys have poured water in my friends diesel while he fishing up north.

shed-hunter1
03-29-2012, 09:35 PM
No way. I'm the exact opposite of that thinking. I'm new here and move a lot so I'm always on everybody elses turf. Its just all stuff I have witnessed over the years steelheading and always worring about leaving your truck. Guys have poured water in my friends diesel while he fishing up north.

i dont think you have to worry about that here its not like that

hunter1947
03-30-2012, 08:02 AM
Good exercise ,out in the wild with nature ,scouting for animals when shed hunting ,for me like a little kid when I find a shed ,all sheds are different when you find them..