PDA

View Full Version : tips or tricks for cougar hunting/tracking

bogger
03-27-2012, 05:11 PM
Anyone with any tips or tricks for a green cougar hunter any info would be greatly apreciated thanks y'all

bogger
03-27-2012, 05:27 PM
Anyone with any tips or tricks for a green cougar hunter any info would be greatly apreciated thanks y'all

Anyone have any tips or ways to keep the dogs in top shape in the off season by use of cougar scents if they existe or know where to get it, it would also work great to get the pup tuned into the proper animal scent he needs to know, I've used coons to try to keep them in the treeing mind set any input helps

Darwin
03-27-2012, 05:34 PM
Anyone have any tips or ways to keep the dogs in top shape in the off season by use of cougar scents if they existe or know where to get it, it would also work great to get the pup tuned into the proper animal scent he needs to know, I've used coons to try to keep them in the treeing mind set any input helps
I am pretty new to cat hunting as well but Have had 4 cats in trees this year I learned most of what I no about cat hunting from my dogs, I put them in the right area and let them do what is in there blood. I am sure there is alot of things to know but if your just hunting for yourself and not trying to make it a job just having good dogs and, the right area is a dam good start.
As for keeping them in shape I walk em everyday. I havn't had a problem with them wanting to hunt they see me getting in the closet for my boots and they are wide open.

bogger
03-27-2012, 06:37 PM
I am pretty new to cat hunting as well but Have had 4 cats in trees this year I learned most of what I no about cat hunting from my dogs, I put them in the right area and let them do what is in there blood. I am sure there is alot of things to know but if your just hunting for yourself and not trying to make it a job just having good dogs and, the right area is a dam good start.
As for keeping them in shape I walk em everyday. I havn't had a problem with them wanting to hunt they see me getting in the closet for my boots and they are wide open.

That's all I'm been doing too learning as I go, still havnt had the enjoyment of chasing a cat yet but I'm sure it will hapen as long as I keep getting out they all have the drive, do you use tracking collars at all, I'm leary of letting them off to run they've hit on a couple spots but it was by the road and didn't want to risk having one hi,t going to get some bear bells so I can atleast hear them a bit

SHAKER
03-27-2012, 06:55 PM

Hound training 101............. It involves a live trap? I cant' say how to do it but I"m sure you can figure it out.

bogger
03-27-2012, 07:10 PM
I've heard from some old timers some of there methods lol

Darwin
03-27-2012, 07:12 PM
That's all I'm been doing too learning as I go, still havnt had the enjoyment of chasing a cat yet but I'm sure it will hapen as long as I keep getting out they all have the drive, do you use tracking collars at all, I'm leary of letting them off to run they've hit on a couple spots but it was by the road and didn't want to risk having one hi,t going to get some bear bells so I can atleast hear them a bit

I havn't got a tracking system but have been looking at some from the US Garmin Astro I think. My biggest consern is awile back they wer heading home from hunting near the house and some people driving down the road called them into there car?? I was friggin so pissed off they grabed them not even 4 houses down from home. I guess they thought they wer doing the right thing but I was still mad. They are both chipped but The people ended up leaveing word at the local market wich is were I went after a sleepless night. Now they have are address and phone number on there collars so next time they wont get snatched.
Oh they will not ship the good collars/system to canada for some reason?

tracker
03-27-2012, 07:37 PM
Hound training 101............. It involves a live trap? I cant' say how to do it but I"m sure you can figure it out.

yip,what he said !!
start keeping some bear hides in the freezer and using that as a drag for summer training..If you chase bears with them and not just cats.

mfarrally
03-27-2012, 07:44 PM
Get a gamin astro. They will save alot of headaches and maybe your dogs life. You can order them through biggamehoundsmen.com

bogger
03-27-2012, 07:59 PM
Get a gamin astro. They will save alot of headaches and maybe your dogs life. You can order them through biggamehoundsmen.com

That's wild I would be pisswd too, I read the astro collaras will become legal in 2013-14 they interfer with some radio signals or somthing I was told, how many dogs do you have? Well pm me if ya wanna chat more we can share some tips and shit we both have come accross

bogger
03-27-2012, 09:33 PM
yip,what he said !!
start keeping some bear hides in the freezer and using that as a drag for summer training..If you chase bears with them and not just cats.

I got a bear hide in the freezer so I'm gonna start using that to get them going on bear they also do chase cats too, the pup is in need of some training, the old girl knows her shit and my 3yo B+T been on a couple cats b4 I got her but she could use some bear training

walker(bandit)
03-27-2012, 10:37 PM
Bear training is easy drive around when you see one put the dogs on it and get ready to run

bogger
03-27-2012, 11:00 PM
Bear training is easy drive around when you see one put the dogs on it and get ready to run

Sounds like a good old time gonna have to hit it up when the season opens any tricks for cat training?

walker(bandit)
03-28-2012, 07:18 AM
Same except drive the snow look for tracks

bogger
03-28-2012, 08:08 AM
Same except drive the snow look for tracks

That's what I've been doing but havnt cut too many tracks, well that's hunting ill keep it up and hopfully soon ill encounter a fresh set and get the dogs on it thanks

horshur
03-31-2012, 06:12 PM
Don't bother with the live trapped BS....it is borderline illegal and not needed.....work your dogs so they mind fair. Break them to come when called even force break them if you must. Do not break them off of off game until they know the real thing. Put in your time to set up a run that is almost guaranteed...........there is no need for drags but if you insist only once or twice....once dog is working a drag it needs to go hunting not another BS drag.
You train a retriever and hunt a hound.

tracker
03-31-2012, 06:56 PM
Don't bother with the live trapped BS....it is borderline illegal and not needed.....work your dogs so they mind fair. Break them to come when called even force break them if you must. Do not break them off of off game until they know the real thing. Put in your time to set up a run that is almost guaranteed...........there is no need for drags but if you insist only once or twice....once dog is working a drag it needs to go hunting not another BS drag.
You train a retriever and hunt a hound.

Everyone has there own opinion on how to train hound dogs, alot of those methods you say that is not nessasary have trained alot of excellent hounds around north america.

I am interested in other tips you might have to train a hound in the off season?

Barracuda
03-31-2012, 07:06 PM
drags work but they are a tool like anything and you have to know when to use and when to put them away .
As long as the dog allready associates the smell with whats alive at the end then its fine but if you simply put out a hide and the dog has nothing to relate it to then its just going through the motions .

for keeping them in shape just road them. and bear season starts tommorrow so there is no off season now.

BCHunterTV
03-31-2012, 07:13 PM
I use plenty of cat nip and if that fails i shake the bag of cat treats

BlacktailStalker
03-31-2012, 08:41 PM
Sounds like you have an older dog... Your job is to find a track and filter the others in behind the old dog.
If you're just training a pup alone, have nobody else with a trained dog to hunt with, walk him in on a track on a leash til you kick the cat in the ass, let the dog go, walk to the tree. Do that a couple times and he should be good. The rest of the variables all come down to genetics and exposure.

All those hounds that made dogs with the drags etc would have made dogs without them that's why the good ones usually won't open on them, theres too much scent, it's not real and they aren't stupid. Teaching your dog it's that 'easy' with that much scent is the complete opposite of what you'll be hoping for.
Like Andy said, just hunt them. Your dogs will answer your questions for you if you give them the chance.

tracker
03-31-2012, 10:10 PM
Sounds like you have an older dog... Your job is to find a track and filter the others in behind the old dog.
If you're just training a pup alone, have nobody else with a trained dog to hunt with, walk him in on a track on a leash til you kick the cat in the ass, let the dog go, walk to the tree. Do that a couple times and he should be good. The rest of the variables all come down to genetics and exposure.

All those hounds that made dogs with the drags etc would have made dogs without them that's why the good ones usually won't open on them, theres too much scent, it's not real and they aren't stupid. Teaching your dog it's that 'easy' with that much scent is the complete opposite of what you'll be hoping for.
Like Andy said, just hunt them. Your dogs will answer your questions for you if you give them the chance.

Sounds like solid advice ..

bogger
04-01-2012, 07:12 AM
Rigjht on thanks everyone for the good advice keep it coming if there is anymore stuiff anyone knows its greatly appreciated thanks y'all

bogger
04-01-2012, 07:28 AM
When there is no snow and your on a hot scent how can you tell what you are chasing with the dogs, just let them run till they come up on whatever they are tracking? Or do you leash them untill you can see what the game is then let them off to tree it?

Darwin
04-01-2012, 07:55 AM
Not sure this will help but, I watch the dogs a bear gets them going, a coon scent and they are getting crazy and, a cat they are going nutters. Also you can sometimes tell buy walking them on the scent a bit looking for disterbance on the track (size of an animal) making it is a good indicator.

Spokerider
04-01-2012, 10:34 AM
All of the information you need has already been posted here.
You sound young, and I'll guess new to hunting and to owning dogs in general. Slow down. The advice that you have read here may not make sense now, but if you stick with it, in time you will *see*.

Learn to "read" your dogs. It's a journey for both you and the dogs, so slow down and enjoy it.

horshur
04-01-2012, 11:03 AM
When there is no snow and your on a hot scent how can you tell what you are chasing with the dogs, just let them run till they come up on whatever they are tracking? Or do you leash them untill you can see what the game is then let them off to tree it?

if you don't know by all means stop it.....I wouldn't be casting dogs loose that don't know there job....It is pretty tough to get a straight hound you can trust 100 percent I have never had one. Loose dogs that strike are usually running deer!

bogger
04-01-2012, 02:14 PM
All of the information you need has already been posted here.
You sound young, and I'll guess new to hunting and to owning dogs in general. Slow down. The advice that you have read here may not make sense now, but if you stick with it, in time you will *see*.

Learn to "read" your dogs. It's a journey for both you and the dogs, so slow down and enjoy it.

Everything makes a lot of sense, all the information that has been posted is very valuble and I thank everyone for there help, I have been taking it slow and I'm learning everytime I'm out with them its a slow process I understand and a lot to learn for me and the dogs

BlacktailStalker
04-01-2012, 03:38 PM

You can't. There are tell tale signs that may help.
Trash races often go in circles, the dogs don't stick well together.
They often start fast and furious and peter out whereas an honest race starts off slower (unless it's hot) and then quickly comes together.