PDA

View Full Version : Water filtration

kodiak10
03-26-2012, 07:27 PM
I am going on a sheep hunt this summer and looking for a better water filtration system than last trip. Last trip I used the tablets.

pnbrock
03-26-2012, 07:32 PM
where were u last week?

Sixer
03-26-2012, 10:37 PM
I bought my whole family one each of these life straws, cheap at 19.95 good for a year if used everyday, look it up and I'll bet you buy one.

http://eartheasy.com/lifestraw

Sixer

Sangstercraft
03-27-2012, 06:47 PM
For LifeStraw, try http://www.grouseriver.com/Lifestraw_Water_Filter_p/cam-000197.htm as they have them in stock and are in Kelowna rather than Wisconsin. Or Ominica: http://www.ominecasfs.ca/index.php?option=com_productshowcase&Itemid=5&action=details&id=231

kodiak10
03-28-2012, 04:14 PM
Thanks guys

BackPackHunter
04-06-2012, 11:50 AM
[QUOTE=Sangstercraft;1120641]For LifeStraw, try http://www.grouseriver.com/Lifestraw_Water_Filter_p/cam-000197.htm

X3

KB90
04-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Just ordered a lifestraw too, looking forward to trying it out

pmj
04-06-2012, 12:27 PM
I use Pristine drops. Made in Port Coquitlam. Availabel most outdoor stores on the coast. 2 eye drop type containers. Mix about 7 drops from each in the lid. Wait for it to turn yellow. Pour into water bottle. It works really well for me where there are creeks and moving water. You would need in addition a filter system if you drink from some of the puddles you find in the alpine. I don't like to filter the floating chunks with my teeth.

Singleshotneeded
04-07-2012, 12:16 PM
The Katadyne Combi is a good reliable bet...

BackPackHunter
04-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Check out thees guys if the life straw is not what you are looking for
http://www.sawyer.com/water.html...

rcar
04-07-2012, 06:57 PM
I wanted to order one of the lifestraws. Seems like the perfect backpack addition but even from our sponser, my first choice to order from, shipping is $11.55, half of the cost of the unit, so I was going to wait until the Huntfest show to hopefully find one. Tonight I googled Lifestraw and Vancouver and found a local supplier so for you in the LM there is an alternative to having it shipped.

Gateholio
04-07-2012, 07:03 PM
Anybody tried one of those "Drink form a bog" straws? Be interested in a review.

BackPackHunter
04-07-2012, 08:32 PM
My LifeStraw is on order... I should have it in a week... Im going to put it though some very hard testing... Then I will post a review...
The biggest problem I can for see or think of with this filter, is it is for drinking and not storage... to store filtered water you would have to spit
it into your bottle, or camelback... Or put dirty water into your container then straw it out (which I do not want to do)
So I order the Saywer Squeeze Water Filter... I think this one will be the one for mountain hunting...if you will need to store water intill you get to the
next watering hole
http://www.rei.com/product/837824/sawyer-squeeze-water-filter

should have a review on both products in about a month or so

ryanb
04-07-2012, 08:48 PM
I think you're better off with a pump. A lot of places in the high alpine you're getting water out of a tiny puddle from a trickling spring. It's nearly impossible to fill one of these squeeze or gravity filters in such a situation.

Sangstercraft
04-09-2012, 12:30 PM
Anybody tried one of those "Drink form a bog" straws? Be interested in a review.

The first suck takes a bit of effort, but after that it's easy. The holes are tiny, hence the effort at first. If it stops flowing while drinking, just blow back into it to clear the pores, then continue drinking.

mfarrally
04-09-2012, 12:44 PM
how many guys just drink the water and dont worry about it? I always have and never had an issue but maybe I should be a bit more concerned? life straw seems like it might be a good idea.

Sangstercraft
04-10-2012, 09:34 AM
how many guys just drink the water and dont worry about it? I always have and never had an issue but maybe I should be a bit more concerned? life straw seems like it might be a good idea.

I was raised on unfiltered pond water, actually with a beaver lodge at one end of the lake, and I've never had problems. But then again, I try to treat water when I'm in areas I don't usually go. One time I was going to drink from a "clean-looking" creek, but walked up a little farther and guess what I came across? A decaying bear cub carcass, lying in the same stream I was going to drink from!! Sometimes a crystal clear stream can be misleading! So yeah, I filter it all now. Maybe only 1 of 20 streams will have bad sh@@t in it, but eventually i'm going to run across that stream.

rcar
04-10-2012, 11:14 AM

I never really worried about it until a buddy got super sick from it years ago. He took a slurp from some fast running water that was definitely snow pack melt and was down and out for a couple of weeks. We had to cut the trip short and since then I don't risk it. Back then a decent filter was over $100 and I didn't have the cash and I couldn't stomach the taste of the tablets...or at least the ones I tried. Now filtration is so cheap and light it doesn't make sense to risk it. IMO

Phreddy
04-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Where did you find one for $19.95? I want to present the idea to our local Search and rescue team and want to fined the best deal I can as money is tight for us.

I bought my whole family one each of these life straws, cheap at 19.95 good for a year if used everyday, look it up and I'll bet you buy one.

http://eartheasy.com/lifestraw

Sixer

Philcott
04-10-2012, 12:47 PM
Noticed the three year shelf life in this description.

LifeStraw is a personal water filter that ensures no matter where you go, you will have instant access to safe drinking water. At just 2 oz. and under 9 inches in length it’s lightweight and compact, which makes it perfect for any outdoor activity.

LifeStraw has a 3 year shelf life and filters over 1,000 liters to .2 microns, which removes dangerous bacteria and protozoa exceeding EPA standards for water filtration. With LifeStraw you can drink directly from lakes, rivers, or your water bottle without any additional purification or filtering precautions. Simply put the lower part of the straw in the water, and sip through the other end. After drinking, blow back into LifeStraw to clear the filter.

boxhitch
04-10-2012, 10:49 PM
I can picture what it would take to fill a Platy if all you had was a Lifestraw.
Suck, spit, repeat, don`t swallow

I haven`t used any of the modern pump/filter units since I got my Steripen.

todbartell
04-10-2012, 11:06 PM
I picked up a Lifestraw recently, will give it a go this year

Stretch
04-16-2012, 09:46 PM
I have used the MSR Hyperflo for 3 years (pump action) and had great results with all types of water. The key to all pumps is the regular maintainence of the filters and sanitizing. I too will never again drink unfiliered water. It is just not worth the risk. Stretch