PDA

View Full Version : Time to Reload on arrows.

Lozzie
03-26-2012, 03:46 PM
Due to some accuracy related losses I'm going to need to reload on arrows soon and I have couple purchase related questions. To fill in the blanks I shoot a PSE Brute @ 68lb draw, 29" draw length, I've been using PSE X weave STL hunter arrows in 300 with blazer vanes cut to 28". Now my questions are : What is the best bang for the buck carbon arrow available (I've been looking at cabelas brand and Gold tip) next what do you find to be the best colour for vanes (when looking to recover arrows) and finally when using a whisker biscuit rest how much of the shaft should stick past the rest at full draw (I'm currently 1 1/2 to 2" past wondering if I should shorten them by 1" or so. Thanks for the info, Cheers.:-D

Bow Walker
03-26-2012, 04:24 PM
Pre-built Gold Tip arrows $51.99 per dozen - they op up from there depending on your options chosen.

Better yet, buy shafts and build your own. 5575 Gold Tip Expedition Hunter Black shafts = $50.99........get 'em cut to length for an extra $2.50

As to the length of shaft sticking out beyond your Biscuit - IMHO you could go as little as 1/2" to 3/4"...........all you really need here is to have the tip not come in contact with the rest (or anything else for that matter).

Lozzie
03-26-2012, 04:42 PM
Seems like a decent deal until you factor in $29 shipping charge to canada.

Pre-built Gold Tip arrows $51.99 per dozen - they op up from there depending on your options chosen.

Better yet, buy shafts and build your own. 5575 Gold Tip Expedition Hunter Black shafts = $50.99........get 'em cut to length for an extra $2.50

As to the length of shaft sticking out beyond your Biscuit - IMHO you could go as little as 1/2" to 3/4"...........all you really need here is to have the tip not come in contact with the rest (or anything else for that matter).

knockturnal
03-26-2012, 10:26 PM
Pick an arrow weight that you want to shoot and then build your arrow to reach that weight.

mikeboehm
03-26-2012, 10:39 PM
I ordered 2 dozen gold tip 55-75 hunters for $100 plus $20 shipping half the price compared to here.

Bowhunters superstore

Ambush
03-26-2012, 10:50 PM
I heard a rumour that some of the GT arrows are now made offshore, and that the quality may have suffered. I've never shot them myself.

But Knockturnal has the right aproach, I beleive.
Once you have determined the correct spine and length then simply decide on a finished weight and buy a shaft that will add up to that.

If you are hunting with your set up, I would suggest a finished weight of about 450 grains. For 3D, go with the standard five grains per pound of draw weight.

Bow Walker
03-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Pick an arrow weight that you want to shoot and then build your arrow to reach that weight.
I'd have to respectfully disagree with that statement.

Shoot a few different weights, f.o.c. setups, fletching and tip choices, and then settle on what performs best out of your own bow. Shooting style and personal setup determine the arrow of choice. It's not an arbitrary thing.

Lozzie
03-27-2012, 05:23 PM
A lot of good suggestions, I have to say I'm tempted just to buy more xweave Stl hunters knowing I can get them from wholesale for $90 per dozen fletched with blazers and I just have to drive to Nanaimo rather than pay shipping. I'll definitely check out bowhunters superstore.

Riverbc
03-27-2012, 07:31 PM
I'll definitely check out bowhunters superstore.
Been buying my Goldtips from there. Cut to size and Blazer vanes put on.

Bow Walker
03-27-2012, 08:30 PM
BHSS is my go-to-guys when I can't get what I want here......

Ruger4
03-27-2012, 11:14 PM
I'd have to respectfully disagree with that statement.

and I agree with you as well BW'er

300rum700
03-28-2012, 09:50 AM
Anyone ever used the Arizona E-Z Fletch for blaser vanes?

Bow Walker
03-28-2012, 09:58 AM
Anyone ever used the Arizona E-Z Fletch for blaser vanes?
No. But I've got an ancient fletcher of similar design. It only has straight clamps but it will allow for a bit of an offset in the vanes, which works well with Blazers.

donny.brooke
03-28-2012, 07:59 PM
i use the arizona ez-fletch mini for my blazers and fusions,its the best i have used yet, 6 degree helical, the mini will do 2 inch flethes and shorter only

Bow Walker
03-28-2012, 08:13 PM
Bohning has come out with their own Blazer fletching jug that can do helical fletching. It's specifically designed for the Blazer vanes.

300rum700
03-28-2012, 08:57 PM
Bohning has come out with their own Blazer fletching jug that can do helical fletching. It's specifically designed for the Blazer vanes.

Yes I saw that on thier website looks good too. I also saw a 3 degree helical, is there such thing as too much spin on the arrow which would result in a dramatic velocity loss or is it negligable?

mikeboehm
03-28-2012, 09:31 PM
I use the bohning blazer 3 degree helical.works great with fusions as well

Bow Walker
03-29-2012, 10:17 AM
Yes I saw that on thier website looks good too. I also saw a 3 degree helical, is there such thing as too much spin on the arrow which would result in a dramatic velocity loss or is it negligable?
Haven't done any testing or read any results of testing on that subject, but my gut tells me that if there is any effect on the arrows it would be negligible as you suggest.

I'd be interested in reading any material on the subject, though.

knockturnal
03-29-2012, 10:34 AM
and I agree with you as well BW'er

You would cause you're a shit disturber. First off, is this a hunting bow or a target bow? I went through the whole spine bs a few years ago when I switched arrows. Spine is deceiving because each arrow manufacturer uses a different spine number. A 400 spine on a Beman could be totally different then a 400 spine on a Victory. I found that it was easier to tune my bow to a specific arrow. I shoot a 400 spine Easton FMJ even though all the spine charts told me to shoot a 350. I've got a 30" draw so my arrows are long. I also pull 73lbs. After spending money on arrows that didn't suit my needs, I was givin a hint to pick a weight and then build an arrow to that weight. 400spined FMJ fit just perfect. My Hoyt shots them at 298fps and they weigh in at 440gr. I fletched them up with 1.5" fusions and they group awesome even though I didn't take the spine or the FOC into consideration when I built them.

Bow Walker
03-29-2012, 10:50 AM
Well I'd say that you lucked out Nockturnal..........which is great. Finding arrows that shoot well from a particular setup is trial and error at the best of times. Glad you're liking them.

Lozzie
04-02-2012, 06:35 PM
Ended up buying a dozen Beman's Bowhunters in 400 spine shafts for $60 locally. I fletched them in Orange and Blue Blazers yesterday and gave them a spin with my broadheads on and they spin like a top and straight as a pick. I'll still test them out on my buddy's broadhead target this weekend but I think they'll work out fine for hunting. I still have seven PSE Xweaves for target and 3D so hopefully I won't have to buy any more for a while. I think this may be one of those rare occasions where it just worked out cheaper to shop around locally. Not a bad thing to support local archery businesses I suppose :)

Bow Walker
04-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Supporting local business is a GREAT thing!. Good for you. I haven't bought South of the line for a long time now - despite my earlier comment about BHSS.

On a side note - I have one X-Weave arrow left out of a dozen I bought a long time ago, the other 11 failed in one way or another within a month yet this one just keeps hanging in there. Go figure.

Knockturnal - try keep your name calling to yourself (or in PMs). You've earned an infraction for yourself by "insulting other members".

Ruger4
04-03-2012, 12:11 PM
You would cause you're a shit disturber. .
huh ????? that's awesome !! Bow Walker gonna give you a time out !!!! you dont need anymore bad boy points (of any kind HBC or other ) !!!!

Bow Walker
04-03-2012, 05:32 PM
No time out - just an infraction point, which will expire in ten days.

mikeboehm
04-03-2012, 08:03 PM
I bought 2 dozen gold tips from bowhunter superstore. $20 for shipping and i
Received them in 5 days. Very happy with them. Will use again

Bow Walker
04-04-2012, 09:58 AM
That's what I found when I used them Mike, fast/good service, and no surprises when I opened the package - what more can a guy ask?

Lozzie
04-09-2012, 08:25 PM
I used my friends Jo-Jan fletcher to put my Blazers on but I'm not really satisfied with the end result I've lost quite a few vanes out of my whisker biscuit. I used fletch tite glue and also put a dab of glue front and back of the fletches and, I prepped them with methol hydrate prior to gluing. My Beman shafts have a much smoother finish than my Xweaves, I'm wondering if I should try prepping the Beman shafts with fine sand paper or steel wool? Also I'm very interested acquiring a Arizona EZ fletch mini, does anyone know who sells them in BC?

Ambush
04-09-2012, 09:08 PM
Yes, definitely sand the shafts with 400# paper untill the shine is gone. I use 99% alcohol for cleaning the shafts and vanes, even the vanes that say don't clean.
Bohning Platinum works best for me.
I started with a Jo Jan, years ago, but was never really happy with it. I've yet to find a fletcher more consistant or versitile than the Bitzenberger.

Ruger4
04-10-2012, 07:04 AM
I've yet to find a fletcher more consistant or versitile than the Bitzenberger.

Bitzenberger x 2 , worth the money the first time , you'll never need another

Bow Walker
04-10-2012, 11:14 AM
I used my friends Jo-Jan fletcher to put my Blazers on but I'm not really satisfied with the end result......
I've got a Jo-Jan (the 6-fletcher model) and it took a bit to get used to using it. The clamps don't settle into the grooves very snugly or tight. When they are in the grooves, the vanes in the clamps aren't fully contacting the shaft - unless I fiddle with them. After I set the vane on the shaft I have to check that nothing moves while the glue sets and dries.

I use my single (plastic) Greyling fletcher more than I use the Jo-Jan.

Lozzie
04-11-2012, 09:54 PM
While we're talking about fletchers, I'm looking at the Arizona EZ fletch mini which fletches at a 6 degree helical pattern. Just wondering if this is going to be problematic when using a whisker biscuit type rest?

Bowzone_Mikey
04-11-2012, 10:01 PM
with a WB you want a straighter vane ... but if you use short vanes like Blazers or better like Mini blazers at 1.5" long as opposed to 4" vanes you should be ok ....

I like the Arizona EZ because you can do all three vanes at once ... but does not allow for ajustments .... I like the idea of being able to fully tune your whole set-up ....

think of it as Tuning your car in the purest sense .... changing the shift points, gear ratio etc.... or as most on this site will look at it .... adding or subtracting a grain or 2 of powder in your hand loads .... Fletch angle can make a big differance in accuracy and in the case of a WB ... consistancy

Ambush
04-11-2012, 10:06 PM
While we're talking about fletchers, I'm looking at the Arizona EZ fletch mini which fletches at a 6 degree helical pattern. Just wondering if this is going to be problematic when using a whisker biscuit type rest?

One suggestion.
Dump the Biscuit. Buy a quality drop-away rest.

One question.
Why would you buy a fletcher that restricts you to a certain amount of helical or offset. You need helical/offset to stabilize a broadhead tipped arrow. Some broadheads need more than others and you only want to use as much as is necessary for that broadhead. Anything more is just needlessly robbing energy.
I prefer helical to offset, particularly on small diameter shafts, because the vane to shaft contact is better.

Lozzie
04-11-2012, 10:34 PM
Still pretty new to archery. the whisky bisky came with my bow but I do plan swap it for a rip cord eventually. I'm not independently wealthy so I'm trying take it one step at a time, I've spent good money on a lot of kit this year. I've been getting ready to hunt my first bow bear by shooting approx. 100 arrows per day or more, with that much shooting fletchings get damaged and sometimes get torn off. I'm just getting tired of borrowing jigs, I'm looking for quick, effective and inexpensive.

One suggestion.
Dump the Biscuit. Buy a quality drop-away rest.

One question.
Why would you buy a fletcher that restricts you to a certain amount of helical or offset. You need helical/offset to stabilize a broadhead tipped arrow. Some broadheads need more than others and you only want to use as much as is necessary for that broadhead. Anything more is just needlessly robbing energy.
I prefer helical to offset, particularly on small diameter shafts, because the vane to shaft contact is better.

Bowzone_Mikey
04-11-2012, 10:48 PM
Still pretty new to archery. the whisky bisky came with my bow but I do plan swap it for a rip cord eventually. I'm not independently wealthy so I'm trying take it one step at a time, I've spent good money on a lot of kit this year. I've been getting ready to hunt my first bow bear by shooting approx. 100 arrows per day or more, with that much shooting fletchings get damaged and sometimes get torn off. I'm just getting tired of borrowing jigs, I'm looking for quick, effective and inexpensive.

think BPE jig ...... basically a Bitz Knock off that is adjustible for about 35-40 bucks