PDA

View Full Version : Anyone gone fishing in Maui?

Fella
03-25-2012, 09:37 PM
My pops and I were talking about doing some deep sea fishing in Maui at the beginning of May. Anyone gone before? Is it worth it?

MOOSE MILK
04-06-2012, 02:23 AM
I went to a sporting store in Maui and they took out charters, when I asked about going out they told me to save my money. This was the end of November, they said that there wasent any thing worth going after at that time of year. So maybe in May you will be in luck. I would go to the docks and ask arround about what is comming in and then make up your mind.
MM

Amphibious
04-06-2012, 07:11 PM
Ulua aka GT. you NEED to catch one.

1980skywalker
04-06-2012, 09:03 PM
Mostly ulua are fished from the shore in hawaii, I lived there for a year. Never did any offshore fishing though but always wanted to as there are definately fish to catch there. Thing is there are fish to catch everywhere and the secret to fishing is to 'fish where the fish are', do a bunch of research to make sure there are marlin, mahi mahi, dorado etc. running hard at the time you are going. I can't remember the best times of year but you don't catch mature springs here in the winter, same thing down there...

srupp
04-07-2012, 10:38 AM
while the warmer months produce bigger fish off the DEEP water..there are always fish to be caught...fished there in the months of Feb and one year March..still was worth the time and effort.and not ALL the big fish completely dissapear.....I also did a night fish for sharks..YIKES..

steven

Downwind
04-07-2012, 05:35 PM
I've done two charters there. The first was strictly trolling and the only thing we hooked was a humpy and I'm not talking salmon. The second time I went we did some bottom fishing. We caught a lot of fish and that was fun (my step-daughter was along and I'm sure she wouldn't sit still on a trolling charter if there wasn't much action going on). But like srupp said, fish can be caught year round.

dime
04-07-2012, 10:16 PM
I was there in January of this year and we went out with Maui Fun Charters out of Maalea harbour. We caught some botttom fish as we were reef fishing, it was around $150 per person. We took home enough fish to eat for a couple of meals (5 adults in the group), making the trip worth while. I would do it again in a minute, and may very well as I am going back April 22. PM me if you are there and looking for a partner.

Springer
04-09-2012, 12:21 AM
We went last year and it ended up being an 8 hr Boat ride....Not a sniff, nothing. The charter we booked with 2 days before had a marlin and load of Mahi Mahi.