PDA

View Full Version : Had to laugh big time.

Scouter Bear
03-25-2012, 02:18 AM
So I am here watching Wild TV an on comes this commercial for a dvd called Whitetail Adventures. So in the beginning there is this guy carrying a deer over his shoulders. Man what a big mistake that is to show someone doing something so stupid. Has anyone ever seen something like that before?

moose2
03-25-2012, 05:30 AM
I have carried many species of animals,horns or antlers out on my back or shoulders. Sure it might not be the safest , but there is not many options other than that when you hunt on foot. I have tied a white shirt or survey ribbon on them sometimes as well. When I was on the Island I carried whole blacktails out , I used to tie a orange garbage bag over them until I hit the truck.
Mike

kayjayess
03-25-2012, 06:03 AM
With all due respect I am not sure what is so stupid. You purchase a tag, harvest a legal whiteltail, and gut it out and take home a young critter (over the shoulder. I don't see the stupidity. Some bucks weight 100 lbs others 350. Am I missing something?

phoenix
03-25-2012, 07:11 AM
(over the shoulder. I don't see the stupidity. Some bucks weight 100 lbs others 350. Am I missing something?
Not having it marked as a dead deer so someone else shoots at it while you are carrying it. Kind of the same thing as carrying a unmarked deer decoy during gun season, not too bright.
Kim

oldkoot
03-25-2012, 07:28 AM
I know a guy that got nocked off his feet by being shot in the hind quarter of moose on his pack board. Always mark visible bone or hair.

Stay Safe

RiverOtter
03-25-2012, 09:19 AM
I know a guy that got nocked off his feet by being shot in the hind quarter of moose on his pack board. Always mark visible bone or hair.

Stay Safe

I couldn't wanna be the dumb mf'er that poked a quarter on my back and didn't kill me. I could see a life size decoy getting a guy in trouble, but a patch of fur on a pack board should not be a health risk.

.330 Dakota
03-25-2012, 09:23 AM
With all due respect I am not sure what is so stupid. You purchase a tag, harvest a legal whiteltail, and gut it out and take home a young critter (over the shoulder. I don't see the stupidity. Some bucks weight 100 lbs others 350. Am I missing something?

Ya you could get shot

BromBones
03-25-2012, 09:50 AM
Sometimes when I shoot a bear and forget my pack, I'll drape the hide over my back and go on all fours to carry it out.

I get shot at all the time.

($5 says half the guys who read this will wonder if I'm being serious ;) )

MattW
03-25-2012, 10:52 AM
If they're hunting Whitetails in the States on this show there's a good chance they were on private land by themselves. You should still mark the animal with something bright though.

kayjayess
03-25-2012, 11:06 AM
OK I get it. So the stupid part is carrying a harvested animal over your shoulder - concerned about getting shot. Sorry still missing it. If that is that case shouldn't we all be wearing red in the bush?

goatdancer
03-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Too many stupids who don't clearly identify the target before pulling the trigger.

bigslim
03-25-2012, 12:23 PM
Maybe there are to many of you to weak and out of shape to carry game out :twisted: So if you have brown hair you better cover it up?
Wow.... suck it up NANCYS its a war out there.
Quit overthinking everything just get out there and GET-ER-DONE

BIGSLIM

buckshot
03-25-2012, 04:28 PM
<Sometimes when I shoot a bear and forget my pack, I'll drape the hide over my back and go on all fours to carry it out.
I get shot at all the time.>

Or worse if papa bear sneaks-up behind you!

dragonslayer
03-25-2012, 05:43 PM
I think this a stupid thread, why would anyone put a animal on his back to take it out, not a wise move, example I have a buddy and his son that was hunting moose up northern bc , the son was sitting on his trike on a cross cutline and was shot and killed, and that was on a big red pretty hard to miss seeing, perhaps some of the old timers on here will remember the incident which happened about 20 plus years ago, Btw the jerk took off after he found out that he shot someone, it took years to find him and when they did he recieved a slap on the wrist, so my question to you is why would you want to put any animal on your back if someone or anyone can be this bad at seeing the difference if the can't see a big red machine what do you look like at a distance? Btw he was shot very close.

budismyhorse
03-25-2012, 06:45 PM
Every situation is different. Its probably a good idea to chuck some flagging in somethIng like that but ya can't account for stupid....accidents do happen as the above story will show.

1980skywalker
03-25-2012, 06:59 PM
I think the point is that everyone wants to beleive that everything they see on tv or read on the internet is the right thing to do as it sets an example, especially to those watching because they want to learn. To see any improper techniques displayed on tv to millions of people could definately raise a few eyebrows, especially from experienced hunters who know better. Lesson learned, 'don't beleive everything you see on tv,' and if you really want to get into it just understand that guns are dangerous, period!

Caribou_lou
03-25-2012, 08:04 PM
OK I get it. So the stupid part is carrying a harvested animal over your shoulder - concerned about getting shot. Sorry still missing it. If that is that case shouldn't we all be wearing red in the bush?

Well, I wouldn't say your missing it at all.

If you are carrying a dead... Legal animal... on your shoulders. There is a chance you could get shot.

It doesn't take much to tie some ribbon onto the animal. Pretty sure that's what Scouter Bear is getting at.

I agree this is not smart at all. But one has to remember its all for TV!

Fisher-Dude
03-25-2012, 08:09 PM
if you really want to get into it just understand that guns are dangerous, period!

Guns aren't dangerous at all. Idiots carrying them, well that's a whole different issue.

Caribou_lou
03-25-2012, 08:21 PM
Guns aren't dangerous at all. Idiots carrying them, well that's a whole different issue.

Yup, Guns don't kill people... People kill people!

luckynuts
03-25-2012, 08:26 PM
My 10 yr olds first deer, it was a long ways to the truck and getting warm. kept it a lot cleaner than dragging it as well. Someone takes a poke at me he better finish the job. Its sad that we even hear shit like that on the news of guys mistaking someone as an animal.. Get a pair of binos will solve 99.9% of the problems.

W.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_00025.jpg (javascript:;)

Gilmore
03-25-2012, 08:56 PM
Flagging tape in the horns and lots of it.

landphil
03-25-2012, 11:25 PM

Well said! I hope you don't mind me repeating that a few times. VVV For that reason, I might prefer to wrap the whole animal in camo netting.

Scouter Bear
03-26-2012, 02:46 AM
Well my point in bringing this up was that my kids watch this and I don't want them to think that was the best way to carry out an animal. Sure we can say that maybe ok in some cases but I wouldn't want them to be carrying out an animal and get shot. It maybe good to ensure that we do our part in making it known that if we do carry out our game that it is flagged in some way.

Yes I know myself when taking a shot that I have a clear view of everything so that I don't make a mistake that I would regret. I just hope that we would all do that but you just never know.

dingdongdenny
03-26-2012, 10:43 AM
orange doesn,t help for some a holes.Hunter in gold river got shot and killed years ago , the only thing that wasint orange were his sockes and underwear.I have been shot at as well hunting the edge of a slash, 100yds from road and deffinatly no deer around truck stops and point gun in my direction and firers, good thing he was a lousy shot quickly went behind a tree and waited till they left.

stitch
03-26-2012, 10:58 AM
orange doesn,t help for some a holes.Hunter in gold river got shot and killed years ago , the only thing that wasint orange were his sockes and underwear.I have been shot at as well hunting the edge of a slash, 100yds from road and deffinatly no deer around truck stops and point gun in my direction and firers, good thing he was a lousy shot quickly went behind a tree and waited till they left.

Someone shoots at you and you hide behind a tree until they leave.....I call bullshit! Someone shoots at me then they sure as hell are going to know I'm there and to stop shooting in my direction.

dingdongdenny
03-26-2012, 10:59 AM
you call it what you want , i'm the one that got shot at.

stitch
03-26-2012, 11:30 AM
I call them like I see them..........

hunter1993ap
03-26-2012, 02:04 PM
most of the things people do on wild tv makes me laugh....