PDA

View Full Version : DFO-what to do?

ratherbefishin
03-23-2012, 08:14 AM
Its pretty obvious the fishing community does not have any confidence in the DFO to manage the salmon fishery.They admit their data is years out of date,they don't know what is happening to the endangered salmon runs, or what the cause is,or even where the mortality is occuring.They are so politically correct they won't address key issues like the river net fishery, preditors [seals and sea lions] or even the fishfarms.And now even the orcas are going to be guaranteed a share[hopefully they will only eat fin clipped salmon].They have opted to reduce or close hatcheries and concentrated on the ''wild salmon''-at the expense of both the commercial and the sport fishing industry[the Americans have a growing, sustainable fishery-because they have hatcheries-we're shutting them down]I don't understand this mentality-when marmots were endangered-they raised them in captivety-and shot preditors to ensure their survival.Even more puzzling-they are going to get rid of the Demanual Creek dam for ''lack of funds''[while the government gives an equal amount to the ''parrot refuge''in Coombs]

Because only a fraction of hatchery raised fish are marked-even when we do manage to land a salmon that has has run the guantlet of seals that swim behind our boats we are likely releasing a ''wild'' fish-that is really hatchery fish....

The problem is-what can we do-other than a mass protest?[which they don't listen to or care about]We could disobey the new rules-and face fines-but basically we are law abiding people,so even though we don't trust them or agree with them, we will obey the law.
DFO's only response is we could target''new opportunities''-like what?-dogfish? [don't laugh-I saw a table full of ''imported BC Rock Salmon'' in a fish market in Australia]

Fact is-DFO is going to keep THEIR jobs,even if we lose OURS,or just give up sport fishing and go golfing.....[checked the number of empty berths at marina's lately?]

island grown
03-23-2012, 08:36 AM
I wish we could give a vote of no confidence and have the whole system restructured.

And, as much as I enjoy a day on the fairway. I would still rather be fishin.....

ratherbefishin
03-23-2012, 08:58 AM
Its totally frustrating-mainly because we can't do anything.We watched as the DFO totally missmanaged the east coast cod fishery[among other things-they said''seals don't eat cod''-when the fisherman were WATCHING them eat cod]and now they're in charge of the demise of the west coast salmon fishery.The commercial fleet is virtually gone,the sport fleet is now on the block.The small communities that grew up around the commercial salmon fleet are gone or struggling [and with it the lifestyle]Those that survived did so on the sport industry-and that will be gone.Much of our manufacturing and heavy industry has been replaced by the tourist industry -and sports fishing is integral to that-and that is now threatened by lack of opportunity.While DFO doesn't seem to get it-People don't fly in ,stay at high priced lodges and pay $500 -$800 to a guide to catch pinks.

But-what can we do?I'm not talking about irrational or emotional threats-but practical, effective results.Its not rocket science-we need MORE fish,not LESS opportunity.I don't CARE about ''idiology'' or political correctness-just the OPPORTUNITY to go out and tie into a big spring or bring home a couple of halibut....is that too much to ask for?

spreerider
03-23-2012, 07:28 PM
Friend of mine used to fish dog fish, made more money on it than anything else because it was always open and the catch was huge, there are alot of them around, and during the season for other fish like salmon you can do both.

ohno
03-24-2012, 04:42 PM
Look at the East coast fishery for an example of how DFO runs things.

gmcgilli66
03-24-2012, 05:51 PM
How can the fedgov get the pipeline through, OK the tanker route, and permit off shore west coast drilling with a healthy, viable west coast fishery happening?
I guess my cynical mind says they need to destroy the fishery first, then there's nothing (no-one) to complain about (to). Lord help us, because our governments will not!!

scoutlt1
03-24-2012, 05:59 PM
Look at the East coast fishery for an example of how DFO runs things.

Exactly! As the saying goes...."if the government was in charge of the desert, they'd run out of sand"

They will never learn, it's pathetic, and as always, we are the ones that suffer.

gitnadoix
03-24-2012, 10:45 PM
The problem with every govt is they must do what the law (majority of people want) so if your not in that majority you get screwed......I would guess the govt would love to keep hatcheries open but when they get their budgets slashed by 40% accoring to the news.....stuff has to happen......so basically that 40% of money went some where else......maybe to open needle exchanges...maybe a hospital beds who knows....its a pendulum that goes back and forth.....

ratherbefishin
03-25-2012, 06:43 AM
the fishery needs to be more vocal-the issue is education of the non fishing voting public-there is a huge economic benefit to sports fishing-tourism,guides, marinas,fishing gear-boats, motors-dealers,maintenance-all the infrastructure required before a line goes in the water.The govenment says they want tpo promote tourism-and salmon fishing is-or was, a major incentive for people to come.But they won't come, or pay thousands of dollars to fish for a 5 lb pink, as suggested...there is just no substitute for the screaming knuckle busting run of a trophy 30 or 40 lb chinook...

Brez
03-25-2012, 06:58 AM
How can the fedgov get the pipeline through, OK the tanker route, and permit off shore west coast drilling with a healthy, viable west coast fishery happening?
I guess my cynical mind says they need to destroy the fishery first, then there's nothing (no-one) to complain about (to). Lord help us, because our governments will not!!

I guess I'm cynical too, but I see governments getting rid of hunting and fishing and then there will be no opposition to whatever their agendas are. I see total exploitation of our province. Cases in point: Jumbo Pass resort; Todagin Mtn mine; pipeline; etc. Both the federal gov't and provincial ones are the same.

Brez
03-25-2012, 07:01 AM
Oh, and did I forget to mention the media?

ratherbefishin
03-25-2012, 07:52 AM
Maybe the next step will be to require us to still buy a fishing and hunting licences[they do like the revenue]-not for fishing or hunting but merely owning fishing and hunting gear,even if we don't go ....

Bushman
03-26-2012, 07:31 AM
IMO, it will take a organized front or group of deeply concerned British Columbia citizens—along with much television and print media—to make the trip to Alaska and show how all species of salmon can be enhanced for the people to enjoy and benefit from. The voting Canadian public can swing the tide on this West Coast salmon fiasco. The provincial and federal governments (and DFO) can be made to look like the fools they really are—and that fact, along with losing votes and power—truly scares any government currently on the top of pile.

I have closely followed what Alaska has done with their salmon enhancement programs for a couple of decades and am convinced they have the answer.
I also work daily on salmon enhancement here in BC and through experience I can say that getting big wild or hatchery salmon returns is simply a numbers game combined with knowledge.

ratherbefishin
03-26-2012, 03:52 PM
well,we're at the 11th hour-and if there isn;t a radical switch in attitude-the sports fishery-and the tourist dollar is going down the tube.The ordinary non fishing citizen even the so called ''conservation'' spokespeople don't get it[let them go somewhere else and fish for pinks]I know the guide I have fished with for well over 10 years with plans to sell his boat-how many others will do the same-just walk away.I'm sure not about to pay $2000 a year to fish for pinks every other year....I might not CATCH a big spring every trip out[I don't]-but I want the CHANCE to.And now I find out that in all likelyhood,a lot of those ''wild'' salmon I released-were in fact part of the 80 to 90% of ''hatchery'' fish that DIDN'T get their fins clipped.....and they claim they ''support'' the recreational angler...

The fact that the DFO deliberately, with no consultation-wrecked the valve on the Demanual Creek dam,built with volunteer labour in a very successful example of spawning habitat restoration, spilling the water that was there for the young smolt to survive is proof of just what their commitment is to salmon enhancement and how much they plan to do what they claim''consult with the all the partners''before making a decision.But as I said-no matter what happens to the fishery-DFO will be keeping their high paid jobs...

mjmbc
03-26-2012, 05:09 PM
anybody write thier mp about this?

Whonnock Boy
03-26-2012, 06:00 PM
Is it the DFO managing the fisheries, or is it the government? Pretty tough to tell. Trying to make everyone happy without ruffling any feathers is impossible. Everyone has done their part to deplete the stocks. Some more than others. The powers that be need to use whatever force necessary to make all accountable. The problem is, nobody has the cahonies to do it. The day of reckoning is coming whether the government likes it or not. I hope that it is sooner than later for the sake of our fishery.

40incher
04-09-2012, 10:32 AM
I agree with bushman.

Having worked with salmon for over 30 years, I see Alaska leading the way. They manage in a practical manner and don't let political correctness and unnessary bureaucracy get in the way.

They outnegotiate us in the salmon treaty and only pay blood money in return for catching millions of BC's salmon every year. Many of our high-paid bureaucrats do nothing but suck the trough dry while they lay off all the field staff and close down and marginalize the hatchery program in this province.

The public needs to demand change so that real science and increased enhancement can thrive. That's what Alaska does.

We are also up against an active anti-use movement in BC who could care less about those of us who want to catch a fish to eat, and DFO caters to them any time they cry wolf about an issue. Political correctness at its worst.

Bushman
04-09-2012, 04:33 PM
And I wholeheartedly agree with what 40incher had to say...

I agree with bushman.

Having worked with salmon for over 30 years, I see Alaska leading the way. They manage in a practical manner and don't let political correctness and unnessary bureaucracy get in the way.

They outnegotiate us in the salmon treaty and only pay blood money in return for catching millions of BC's salmon every year. Many of our high-paid bureaucrats do nothing but suck the trough dry while they lay off all the field staff and close down and marginalize the hatchery program in this province.

The public needs to demand change so that real science and increased enhancement can thrive. That's what Alaska does.

We are also up against an active anti-use movement in BC who could care less about those of us who want to catch a fish to eat, and DFO caters to them any time they cry wolf about an issue. Political correctness at its worst.