PDA

View Full Version : Alberta Antelope Hunting Question

gbear
03-23-2012, 07:18 AM
I have a question for those that have hunted antelope in Alberta.

I came home from the Wild Sheep Society convention with an antelope hunt. Can't wait!

I'm being given the option of either season. The last week of September for the northern area of the outfitters territory, or the 3rd week of October in an area somewhere south of Medicine Hat.

What's the better season? And better spot?

I've heard that in the October season, some bucks could be shedding already and banged up, so that makes me lean towards the September season. But, i thought I would ask around a bit more for those with experience.

Thanks

sheephunterab
03-23-2012, 08:52 AM
Truthfully, if you are in a good area I don't think it matters either way. Alberta antelope got hit pretty hard in the winter of 2010-11 so you aren't going to see loads of antelope or big bucks but you'll have a good hunt regardless of which season you pick. Resident tags got cut way back last season and I suspect the same this year so you shouldn't encounter many hunters out there.

srupp
03-23-2012, 02:05 PM
hmmm also heard that ..so last year I 999 my speedgoat and will do that again for this year and go in 2013..hopefully some heards will have increased in numbers and size...

Srr

sheephunterab
03-23-2012, 02:34 PM
How many preference points do you have srupp? With the drastic decrease in tags, it's going to take some pretty serious priority to get a tag for a few years I suspect.

srupp
03-23-2012, 02:43 PM
I believe its 7 for 2012.....

steven

BCRiverBoater
03-23-2012, 04:19 PM
I hunted in Alberta last year for the Oct. Season. The numbers were way down as were the tags. I got a decent buck the first morning but we did not see any bucks close to trophy quality. Supposedly a lot of antelope got caught on the south side of the river in the spring so they did not get back to Alberta for the fall of last year. If this is true then the numbers will be up a little this year. But there was a lot of winter kill as well last year and that will take years to come around.

As far as dropping horns...not an issue when we were there. One buck that we shot had loose horns but that was the only sign of dropping horns we saw. The bucks were still with the females for the most part as well.

I think either season would work but I liked the cooler temperatures in Oct. See my thread linked below.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?73110-Alberta-Antelope

sheephunterab
03-23-2012, 04:31 PM
I'm guessing it's going to take a priority 9 or 10 for the next few years. I guess we'll see how fast the herds rebound. No doubt this winter helped.

Blacktail
03-23-2012, 06:41 PM
Who is the outfitter??
End of september is right at the opening of the rifle season and the goats will have been marginally chased with the archery season
and will still be a little bit of a rut mode.
Third week of October south of the Hat will see most of the northern goats starting to migrate down.
The antelope have had a fairly good winter here this year but had the crap beat out of them over the two previous winters.
Numbers are way down in the southern zones but there are still some around.

reloader60
03-23-2012, 06:58 PM
Last year ,there were hunters that I know in southern Albeta that had 11 points and didnt get drawn. After last years die off, it may be 2113 before anyone gets drawn!!

srupp
03-23-2012, 08:16 PM
hmmm then just keeping on putting years of applications...

steven

gbear
03-23-2012, 09:36 PM
Who is the outfitter??
End of september is right at the opening of the rifle season and the goats will have been marginally chased with the archery season
and will still be a little bit of a rut mode.
Third week of October south of the Hat will see most of the northern goats starting to migrate down.
The antelope have had a fairly good winter here this year but had the crap beat out of them over the two previous winters.
Numbers are way down in the southern zones but there are still some around.

Thanks! The hunt is with Silver Sage Outfitters.

thumper1
03-23-2012, 11:09 PM
Generally speaking, hunting south of Medicine Hat will be done on big, wide open and very dry country. Lots of cactus and sage, and usually long stalks done on your hand & elbows! It's a totally different kind of hunting, and a very cool experience. You'll probably be based out of Manyberries - a cultural experience in itself!
If you're hunting the early, north season - you'd probably be hunting farming country - cultivated fields with bales, a little more greenery and cover = shorter stalks and more ambush style hunting. Not as 'wild west' and open country as the southern desert. A great hunt too, but IMO - not as much as a cultural experience as the southern range.
Don't get all hung up on what the bucks will score - they all look exotic and will any buck will be a crowd pleaser on your wall at home in B.C. Just enjoy the total experience. We're very fortunate to be able to hunt an animal that looks and acts like it just stepped out of Africa - in our own backyard! You made a great choice on this item, and Silver Sage is 1st class.

srupp
03-24-2012, 01:24 PM
smallish deer sized game animal 400 yards doable for getting close for a shot??

srupp

Peace Country
03-24-2012, 07:59 PM
Both seasons have their pros and cons but one thing is you are going with the best Antelope guide in Alberta. Be honest tell him what you want in the hunt and go with what he suggests.

sheephunterab
03-25-2012, 03:01 PM
His "northern" area really isn't very far north...it's just that the season open earlier in that area to accomodate the cowboys moving cattle on the EID. I really like that earlier hunt and I really like that region...it produces some monster bucks. Typically some of the best in the province.

gbear
03-26-2012, 07:09 AM
His "northern" area really isn't very far north...it's just that the season open earlier in that area to accomodate the cowboys moving cattle on the EID. I really like that earlier hunt and I really like that region...it produces some monster bucks. Typically some of the best in the province.

Thanks! I've decided I'll go for the September dates. So excited to go!

sheephunterab
03-26-2012, 07:32 AM
Good luck...you should have an awesome hunt!

Here's a picture of the last buck I took out of that area.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/129_8057165399_667430399_510620_9077_n.jpg

BCRiverBoater
03-26-2012, 01:42 PM
Wow. What was the length and score on that one. Very unique but looks long.

Peace Country
03-26-2012, 04:53 PM
Nice goat TJ.

Springer
03-26-2012, 08:20 PM
hmmm then just keeping on putting years of applications...

steven

Ya Elmer we will just put in and cross our fingers for the draw, hopefully adding a couple years wait will also be in line with higher Pronghorn numbers. Sometimes you may have to take that 400yd shot but our last 2 Bucks were under 100 yds.
I was hunting a Buck similiar to TJ and kept an eye on him for 5 days prior to opening day only to have it go South opening morning from another hunter who spooked him..

sheephunterab
03-26-2012, 10:36 PM
He's aboutn 16 1/2" if I remember correctly. I've never scored him but I'd guess around 80.

goatdancer
03-26-2012, 11:29 PM
Truthfully, if you are in a good area I don't think it matters either way. Alberta antelope got hit pretty hard in the winter of 2010-11 so you aren't going to see loads of antelope or big bucks but you'll have a good hunt regardless of which season you pick. Resident tags got cut way back last season and I suspect the same this year so you shouldn't encounter many hunters out there.

Any idea what the number of draws was cut down to? Particularly the late October draw down by Manyberries.

sheephunterab
03-27-2012, 07:28 AM
Here you go http://www.mywildalberta.com/Hunting/HuntingDraws/HuntingDrawsReports/DrawsSummaryReport/Default.aspx

longrifle
03-27-2012, 09:50 AM
Looks like the quota for antelope went down from 1271 in 2010 to 160 in 2011...yikes!

Here's hoping I can draw a tag this year.

'rifle

BCRiverBoater
03-30-2012, 11:02 PM
Last year when I shot mine near Manyberries the guide told us that this particular area we were hunting was about 300 the year before and 30 in 2011. No idea if this was true or not but a significant decline.

goatdancer
03-31-2012, 02:04 PM
Last year when I shot mine near Manyberries the guide told us that this particular area we were hunting was about 300 the year before and 30 in 2011. No idea if this was true or not but a significant decline.

I checked the link I was given and that looks like about right. About 3 or 4 years ago there were about 400 tags there and a lot of speed goats running around. I'm guessing we'll be needing a priority 12 to get drawn unless there is a huge population increase in the next couple of years.

srupp
03-31-2012, 02:18 PM
groan.....ANOTHER 5 YEARS?? oh well...

steven

goatdancer
03-31-2012, 06:02 PM
groan.....ANOTHER 5 YEARS?? oh well...

steven

No big deal. I'll be 72 or 73 before I get mine. I wonder if I can get a motorized wheelchair to chase them?