PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Info on Region 8 Spring Turkey

kgriz
03-21-2012, 10:03 AM
Can't remember if I've helped anybody from Region 8 in the past.....probably. I'm hunting in the Cranbrook area as usual this spring but have to meet a client in Kamloops after....wouldn't mind taking him out to the nearest place possible for turkey. Any info would be appreciated. Trades are welcome if you've seen me post somewhere you are interested in...as usual I'm willing to give pretty specific info.:-D

russm
03-21-2012, 10:26 AM
Hey,I'm no help on turkeys but if you could PM with some info for the cranbrook area thatd be awesome,I can ask my old man about the birds for you I'm just waiting in the airport for him to get in from cuba.

kgriz
03-21-2012, 10:55 AM
sure...I only know turkey info for cranbrook as I don't go there in the fall for big game though. Will PM you tonight.

GoatGuy
03-21-2012, 11:02 AM
8-15 is probably the best MU. Towns near hotspots are Grand Forks and Christina Lake.

kgriz
03-21-2012, 11:12 AM
Thanks Goatguy, this is as specific as I need. This is a good spot for me but to take this guy out I'm looking as far north/close to Kamloops as possible

GoatGuy
03-21-2012, 12:00 PM
Thanks Goatguy, this is as specific as I need. This is a good spot for me but to take this guy out I'm looking as far north/close to Kamloops as possible

Vernon is pretty much the northern limit and the expectation of seeing birds increases as you travel south.

kgriz
03-21-2012, 12:36 PM
k thanks , Will target info around Vernon then.

Fishhound
03-21-2012, 08:59 PM
I would look around Beavedell, Trapping Creek Rd, Carmi Creek, Wilkinson Creek, and I would certainly take a look in the Christian valley if I had the time and since all of these area are on your travel route

boxhitch
03-22-2012, 04:18 AM
k thanks , Will target info around Vernon then.Can't help you myself. I know of two releases.......err, escapes.........that were cleaned up by coyotes. Heard tale of some near Predator Golf, but haven't found them yet.
Closest to Vernon I have seen birds was on Beaver Lake Road

OutWest
03-22-2012, 09:05 AM
Can't help you myself. I know of two releases.......err, escapes.........that were cleaned up by coyotes. Heard tale of some near Predator Golf, but haven't found them yet.
Closest to Vernon I have seen birds was on Beaver Lake Road

I have seen some out towards Predator and up near The Lakes.

kgriz
03-22-2012, 10:15 AM
Sadly...and I wish I had been a smarter young man ( go to Peachfest etc.), my knowledge of the okanagan in terms of the valley bottoms is very limited....references such as "predator"or "the lakes", although very specific, are lost upon me. Road and creek names etc. (ie geographic reference) I can certainly look up ( I'm not lazy, just not local ). I appreciate all of the help.....I have no intention of yappin about these spots or switching to them, as I like my spots near Cranbrook, this is just an opportunity to spend some "non-work" time with a good client.

aliagha
03-22-2012, 10:36 AM
I have seen quite a few turkeys up in the 100 mile house area, dunno if Region 5 has a season for them or not.

kgriz
03-22-2012, 03:30 PM
I have seen quite a few turkeys up in the 100 mile house area, dunno if Region 5 has a season for them or not.

Really? If you are not just kidding, that is interesting. Merriam's turkeys can simply be purchased and shipped in the mail like other farm animals (chicks)...maybe somebody had a bunch get away. I've seen some in Dawson Creek and McBride like this but they are basically peoples' livestock.
There is no season in Region 5.

doubled
03-22-2012, 03:40 PM
"Predator" means Predator Ridge between Vernon and Lake Country - east side of OK Lake to the west side of the highway. There is a pretty good golf course there as well. Lots of rolling hills, reminds me of the southern Kamloops area.

I believe The Lakes are a reference to the Aberdeen Plateau(Dee Lake Chain) above Beaver Lake but could be wrong there.

boxhitch
03-22-2012, 05:01 PM
up near The Lakes. Those lakes or the other lakes ?

kgriz
03-22-2012, 05:04 PM
When I get a chance, I'll post a pic of my new turkey killer....say hello to my little friend.....................

GoatGuy
03-22-2012, 05:06 PM
"Predator" means Predator Ridge between Vernon and Lake Country - east side of OK Lake to the west side of the highway. There is a pretty good golf course there as well. Lots of rolling hills, reminds me of the southern Kamloops area.

I believe The Lakes are a reference to the Aberdeen Plateau(Dee Lake Chain) above Beaver Lake but could be wrong there.

The Lakes is the development on the south end of Spinekopf.

OutWest
03-22-2012, 05:09 PM
The Lakes is the development on the south end of Spinekopf.

Already pm'd him but yes those are the ones.

We were pouring a driveway up there last summer and there was a lone hen hanging out on the roof!

Fisher-Dude
03-22-2012, 05:14 PM
The Lakes is the Spion Kop, between Kal and Okanagan Lakes just north of Winfield. There are some buzzards up there.

The first Crown land up Beaver right now has 2 feet of snow, so it might be huntable later on. I haven't seen any up there, but Boxhitch assures me it wasn't just a crow on a gutpile that he saw!

GoatGuy
03-22-2012, 07:04 PM
Already pm'd him but yes those are the ones.

We were pouring a driveway up there last summer and there was a lone hen hanging out on the roof!

Brings a whole new meaning to road hunting.

If you see a guy slowly driving around in a duramax keep your head down.

OutWest
03-22-2012, 07:14 PM

He's probably one of the guys I saw driving up and down my road looking for one of those easy mulies. Nah, couldn't be. They were using crossbows.

Good Old Outdoors
03-22-2012, 07:19 PM
Vernon is pretty much the northern limit and the expectation of seeing birds increases as you travel south.

I live in vernon, and i have not seen or heard of any nearby. Thats being said they were introduced out near silver creek but as far as I know they were a little to curious about the highway. you might be able to find some in 8-10 out beaver lake way but i know there arent any in 8-22,23 in any numbers. If i am wrong someone let me know.
Hopefully that helps.

aliagha
03-22-2012, 07:26 PM

Really? If you are not just kidding, that is interesting. Merriam's turkeys can simply be purchased and shipped in the mail like other farm animals (chicks)...maybe somebody had a bunch get away. I've seen some in Dawson Creek and McBride like this but they are basically peoples' livestock.
There is no season in Region 5.

I am not kidding, I saw them on 2 separate dates last year, once in the 100 mile area during the early deer season, saw a few hens with chicks then again in the oct season in the 70 mile area, saw 2 mature birds out in the wild but wasn't sure about the season so no shot! you are probably right about them possibly being introduced in the area unintentionally.

Amphibious
03-22-2012, 07:35 PM
really? lived in the Lakes development last 5yrs, and never seen a turkey. LOTS of coyotes and a few cougars though...

kgriz
03-22-2012, 07:38 PM
or intentionally perhaps ....be good to have some closer to home. Most areas much farther north than the very south of our province basically find them mooching off of farmers to stay alive in the winter. They are basically found in the douglas fir/ponderosa pine areas in general so they would certainly do ok where you saw them assuming they find some civilization to get them thru the winter.

kgriz
03-22-2012, 07:39 PM
when they are in low, isolated pockets.....turkeys are a lot like bull elk....only seen when called to.

coach
03-22-2012, 09:00 PM

I worked there for four years. Good numbers of mulies, whitetails, bears, the odd cougar (both 2 and 4 legged), coyotes and the odd turkey:

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/coach108/IMG_5417_edited.jpg

As hard as I tried, I never quite convinced ownership to give me permission to hunt any of those species. The land around the golf course is all private as well. Not sure who you would talk to in order to hunt up there. Beaver Lake area is probably your best bet - unless you want to drive a little further.

coach
03-22-2012, 09:05 PM
This young fella, two more like him and three turkeys interrupted an on-course golf lesson a couple years back..

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/coach108/IMG_5435_edited.jpg

kgriz
03-22-2012, 09:18 PM
cool pics, thanks

Good Old Outdoors
03-22-2012, 09:22 PM
i might go take a look up beaver lake way here pretty soon, if i see anything i will let you know

kgriz
03-22-2012, 09:28 PM
Right on, thanks

Fisher-Dude
03-22-2012, 09:45 PM

I better use the old truck, just to be incognito.

kgriz
03-22-2012, 10:10 PM
Just downloaded something hilarious.....if you ever wanted an Al Pachino/Tony Montana quote at your fingertips....there's an app called Alpac that quotes them all in his voice.....priceless....Say hello to my little friend.

Springer
03-23-2012, 06:45 AM

My Dad lives at lac la Hache and he was telling me about a big Tom he saw a couple years ago close to there where he hunts, He was quite surprised as well.