PDA

View Full Version : Bagging Elk in the Peace area

Big Mac
03-21-2012, 09:55 AM
I have a Question , if I can find an answer ,why do they have a cow or calf or a 3 point or better hunt in the Peace area for Elk when they want the Elk taken out why would they not just make it an open season for elk just wondered if there is an answer I have talked to COs at the tradex and they couldn't give me an anwser :confused:

Swamp mule
03-21-2012, 10:00 AM
Read your regs. There is a GOS.

Big Mac
03-21-2012, 10:28 AM
I go up every year and hunt sept 10 til the end of sept and the way it is set-up they do not have an open season on the elk ,I just wondered why,when they want to reduce the population .

todbartell
03-21-2012, 02:00 PM
they don't want you to shoot the spike bulls I suppose, maybe an easy target and effects bull/cow ratios in years to come

bridger
03-21-2012, 02:40 PM
There are two seasons for elk in the peace both which could stand revisiting. 1) the mountain zone hunt runs any branch antlered bull aug15 to sept 10. 6pt only sept11oct 15 --general open antler less -- not sure of the dates but generous. 2)agricultural zone. This season has a a bull season similar to the mtn zones and several late leh hunts for antler less and any elk. The ag zone hunts are the result of a direct conflict between elk and haystacks and are meant to significantly reduce elk numbers. The six point season in the mtns needs to be adjusted for sure.

moosinaround
03-21-2012, 02:43 PM
There are two seasons for elk in the peace both which could stand revisiting. 1) the mountain zone hunt runs any branch antlered bull aug15 to sept 10. 6pt only sept11oct 15 --general open antler less -- not sure of the dates but generous. 2)agricultural zone. This season has a a bull season similar to the mtn zones and several late leh hunts for antler less and any elk. The ag zone hunts are the result of a direct conflict between elk and haystacks and are meant to significantly reduce elk numbers. The six point season in the mtns needs to be adjusted for sure.
Bridger, the mtn hunts need adjusting? Is this in favour of a more generous hunt, say a 3pt or better, or more liberal, say 6pt or better, for a shorter season? Moosin

SHAKER
03-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Bridger, the mtn hunts need adjusting? Is this in favour of a more generous hunt, say a 3pt or better, or more liberal, say 6pt or better, for a shorter season? Moosin

Beat me too it.... Same question?

bridger
03-21-2012, 10:02 PM
this season was set twenty some years ago and was meant to be conservative. at the time elk hunting was just gaining popularity in 7b as elk populations responded to a series of mild winters and a large controlled burn habitat enhancement program in the muskwa/tuchodi/prophet block. the thinking of the then regional bios was conservative(no criticism meant) as they were kinda of entering uncharted waters. outfitters were beginning to book more elk hunts and more residents were getting river boat to access the area. antler restrictive seasons tend to run their course and some of the outfitters and guides are saying that by the end of the season its hard to find a 6 pt. that kind of goes along with my observations having hunted the area lots during the last 20 yrs. i am not a wildlife manager by any means and am not looking to start a contreversy but it appears it may be time to revist the mountain season. the antlerless gos is an indication that the bios want to spread the pressure across the population. the ag zones are a different story. that seasons needs a serious review. keep in mind that the ag zone season is strictly political spawned by frustration from producers with elk in their hay stacks. the original intent was to reduce the elk population in the ag zone by 50%. it would appear that that objective has been reached.

SHAKER
03-22-2012, 08:49 AM
Thanks... That'll do!