PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Sticks

4 point
03-21-2012, 08:20 AM
Been watching the free preview of Wild TV and lots of hunters on there are using shooting sticks. Never used one always shoot off hand. But great idea maybe for longer shots. Which would be best you think a single stick, double legged or triple legged and why? Thanks for any comments.

rocksteady
03-21-2012, 08:23 AM
3 legged are most stable, then 2 then the monopod.

They do take saome getting used to, but once they become second nature, they are a quick way to get a solid rest...

chris26262
03-21-2012, 08:26 AM
For sure double or triple. I have used the single and it's not much better and freehand. It is a little cumbersome though at times hiking around with them in your hand.

lovemywinchester
03-21-2012, 08:36 AM
I use a collapsible single shooting stick and it works well. Compact and light. Makes a huge difference as far as having a stable shot. I cheaped out and picked up a $20 Primos model in case I lost it, which I did a few weeks ago. Stopped for a break and forgot to pick it up when I left. I know where it is so I will grab it when the snow is gone. The trigger adjustable Primos sticks are nice as well. Weight is the reason I have not invested in a bi or tri pod.
Check out this link for tips on making a bi-bod.

http://www.varmintal.com/abifu.htm

shaydog65
03-21-2012, 08:37 AM
Learned a lesson with the Primos Trigger Sticks this year.

They don't work below freezing. Pull the trigger (if you can) everything's frozen in place. Might work if you kept it bone dry, but we live in BC so...

Rodd
03-21-2012, 08:43 AM
Doubles work well and can be quickly adjusted for height... Definately handy, and make for better accuracy in the field, and result in cleaner kills! I make them outta Red Willow sticks and tie them together with leather laces.

rocksteady
03-21-2012, 08:45 AM
I built a set from a bunch of old tent poles...

Collapsible, into 2 foot segments, so from 2 feet to 6 feet...Similar in style to varmint Al's but lighter and collapsible...

I only pack them when hunting yotes, most other hunting scenarios I just use my bipod.

Caveman
03-21-2012, 08:46 AM
I picked up the BOG-Pod bipod. Haven't used it yet, put a rifle on it for feel. Way more stable that a mono stick, little to no side to side movement. I hope to go out and do some shooting with it this weekend.

rcar
03-21-2012, 09:00 AM
I bought a Stoney Point tripod. It collapses pretty small is is reaonably light weight, They make 2 sizes and bought the larger. The one thing I really like is one of the legs removes to be used for a walking stick or bipod.

grizzlydueck
03-21-2012, 09:11 AM
Stonypoint shooting sticks -don't buy the cheaper ones =i won't shoot long range 300-600 with out them they weigh as much as a tube of toothpaste fold down to 14 inches and out with the flick of a wrist to 40 inches-come with a belt holster. I set up in my ambush spots with my rifle on them with the front sling swivel in front of the piviting yolk on the sticks and the rifle recoil pad sits on the ground or my lap =even in my blinds =you see an animal lift up the back of your rifle and your ready to shoot rock solid ! Watching these guys carry their sponsers 2&3 legged hockey sticks around with them is such a joke ....here you are out for a walk with your rife over your shoulder+ bino's around your neck-maybe a day pack -a bog pod or other brand in your hand ...THEIRS A DEER ...WALKING THROUGH THE TREES...YOU GO TO LIFT UP YOUR BINO'S FOR A LOOK AND YOU HAVE THIS BIG COMBERSOME GIMICK YOU GOT TO DROP OR PUT BETWEEN YOUR LEGS ALL WHILE TRYING TO GET A LOOK ON THIS POTENTIAL BIG BUCK =my budies and I laugh everytime we watch wild tv and the guys trying to pack one =if your a truck hunter then all the power to you -but if your a hunter and a walker .......too funny ! thats just my opinion and like I said before opinions are like assholes and everyone has one ! lol check
www.stoneypoint.com (http://www.stoneypoint.com) this link out and deside for your self

hunter1993ap
03-21-2012, 09:27 AM
get two peices of wooden dowl and drill a hole 3-4" from the top and put a nut and bolt through. worked for me when i was young but you wont catch me packing shooting sticks now. they are a pain to pack and my pack is full enough.

Str8shooterbc
03-21-2012, 09:53 AM
I just got the whole Bog-Pod setup - Monopod and Tripod as well as most of the attachments. I can go from Spotting Scope to Rifle Rest in seconds. As well as a Binoc mount that is solid then to Camera "rock solid" mount and back to Rifle Rest. I'm really impressed at how solid the Camera mount is and how available and handy. I have had trouble in the past trying to keep camera monopod and tripod as well as "shooting sticks" all in the cab of the PU and so have ended up leaving something back in the box and my pics have suffered. This system is "ALL-IN-ONE". I have yet to use them on the range but will soon. I expect them to perform well.

Oh, they are light and come in a handy carry bag if that is the way you want to go. Presently the entire Bog-Pod system is a little hard to find in Canada but I'm told that will change very soon.

porcupine
03-21-2012, 10:31 AM
Use three legged ones. I use them because I can't hit the side of a barn off hand.

Livewire322
03-21-2012, 12:40 PM
i built a set from rod aluminum and plastic tubing, havent hunted with them yet.

BCRiverBoater
03-21-2012, 12:59 PM
I like the trigger stick from Primos as well. I used the three legged one for my antelope hunt and they worked very well. I also have a removable bipod from Stoney Point on my one gun. I carry them in my pack and can attach them in seconds if need be. I got the longer ones for kneeling or sitting as there is usually always grass in the way for the short ones.

They are way better than free handing but are not nearly as stable as you would think. It definitely takes time to get used to them. Practice makes perfect!

Caveman
03-25-2012, 07:24 PM
Took my Bog-Pod bi-pod out today for the first time. Quite impressed with the results. Didn't put out a target per say, but found a beer can and set it up at 75yds. Popped one into it, sending it back 10 or so yds back. Put two more through it while it lay in the grass. I then picked out two rocks on the hillside. One I paced out at 120 and one at 180 yrds. Slight angle uphill. Hit both dead center. Lastly, I picked a spot in an opening with something dark in it. Didn't range it, so I just took dead aim and squeezed two off. Paced it off to see where I hit. I was about 6 inches low and slightly to the right. It was all good, because I paced it to be 310yds. Still well into the vital zone had it been a elk, etc. Next time I'll have to use an actual target. Just wanted to try them out in preparation to S. Africa later in the year.

I should note, these were all taken from a standing position