PDA

View Full Version : Backpack knife sharpener

Brambles
03-20-2012, 08:12 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000B8JDT0

I was shaving weight from my pack and figured id look for a lighter sharpener than my current collapsible 3.5 ounce diamond steel. Found this lansky quick fix, its cheap enough to take a chance, bought it online, showed up yesterday. Tried it tonight one a kitchen knife, just using the weight of the knife and thats it, approx 10 light strokes with the carbide and 10 with the ceramic side and I was shaving hair and slicing paper strips freehand. Pretty impressive and it weighs .8 ounces , i could skeketonize it easily and get it down to .5 or .6 ounces.

Im gonna keep my eye open for some more as spares toss one in the truck, under the seat of the quad. Seems like a great little sharpener and it doesnt feel like junk.

ianwuzhere
03-20-2012, 08:29 PM
nice. thats a good idea, usually you dont need too much of a sharpener when on a backpack hunt, so a lil one be great!!

Buck
03-20-2012, 08:51 PM
Pretty near everyone uses a Havalon with replaceable blades these days.

Moose Guide
03-20-2012, 09:02 PM
Mine was given to me as part of a tip, it has what looks like Re inside a circle. It weighs 393 grains but is trimmer than the Lansky you showed

Brambles
03-20-2012, 09:03 PM
Thats fine for caping but I imagine it wouldnt be the best choice for deboning or light camp duties!

Brambles
03-20-2012, 09:08 PM
Mine was given to me as part of a tip, it has what looks like Re inside a circle. It weighs 393 grains but is trimmer than the Lansky you showed

So its not the lansky? 393 grains is .898 ounces!

Singleshotneeded
03-20-2012, 10:38 PM
OMG!! 9/10 of an ounce in your backpack at the wrong time could crush your vertebrae and ruin your back! :-)

Brambles
03-20-2012, 11:01 PM
Hey I dropped over 2.5 ounces with a sharpener change. Thats just AWESOME...😁

keoke
03-20-2012, 11:07 PM
If I would want to save on packing around extra weight my best bet would be hitting the gym lol. In the end a few ounces can end up feeling like a few pounds on a mountain expedition.

boxhitch
03-21-2012, 01:59 AM
http://smithsedge.com/products/product.asp?id=46&cid=10

There are a few available that are similar. One seller has a table at some of the BC gun shows.
I've asked a couple of companys what the angle is of their hand-held sharpeners, no has the info available.

They will sharpen quickly if the knife edge matches the angles of the carbide/ceramic. If the sharpener is too acute for a more obtuse knife edge, you will be stroking a long time.

mcrae
03-21-2012, 06:05 AM
The only issue I have with those type of sharpeners is once you use one on your hunting knife it can be hard to put the edge back on it. I used my Havalon to do pretty much an entire moose last fall LOL. Not ideal but it worked. If I had a pocket sharpner I could have sharpened my main knife LOL...

huntcoop
03-21-2012, 09:02 AM
http://www.mammoth.co.za/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/l/a/lansky_quick_edge_sharpener_black.jpg

Brambles
03-21-2012, 09:11 AM
I have one of those, this quick fix works better, smaller and lighter. I like the carbide/ceramic combo!

Stone Sheep Steve
03-21-2012, 09:17 AM
So if backpack weight is a concern I'm guessing it's not part of your daypack? I'm also guessing that you're targeting mulies, sheep or possibly goats?

I don't even pack a sharpener. Don't need one. I pack a small folding, lightweight knife and 1/2 dozen scalpel blades and handle.
If you need to sharpen your knife while deboning a small critter, you're doing something wrong.

Moose or elk I could and would pack a sharpener...but not for deer sized or smaller animals.

SSS

bigwhiteys
03-21-2012, 09:20 AM
Thats fine for caping but I imagine it wouldnt be the best choice for deboning or light camp duties!
The havalon is certainly a specialized knife... and it's also downright dangerous the thing is so sharp... I've broken deer down with one, cutting the cartiledge around all joints and then just twisting... Deboning they work great because they are so sharp and thin you basically are surgically removing your meat!. If on a backpack hunt I take my Havalon with several blades and a small backpack swede saw for the heavier duties.

Brambles
03-21-2012, 09:29 AM
So if backpack weight is a concern I'm guessing it's not part of your daypack? I'm also guessing that you're targeting mulies, sheep or possibly goats?

I don't even pack a sharpener. Don't need one. I pack a small folding, lightweight knife and 1/2 dozen scalpel blades and handle.
If you need to sharpen your knife while deboning a small critter, you're doing something wrong.

Moose or elk I could and would pack a sharpener...but not for deer sized or smaller animals.

SSS

I also pack a scalpel handle and some spare blades, but because I wouldn't debone meat or do camp duties with one so I also pack my cold steel Pendleton Mini Hunter.
I think for .8 ounces that its cheap insurance, if something happened to the edge on your knife while in camp its good to be able to do something about it, other than trying to sharpen it on a piece of shale, which probably would work too.
Your right, probably not needed in a daypack but for an extended trip, shit can happen and something that small and light is smart money IMO.

huntcoop
03-21-2012, 09:33 AM
I have one of those, this quick fix works better, smaller and lighter. I like the carbide/ceramic combo!

WOW, the quick fix works better? The quick edge is awesome, I can't imagine how they could improve upon it, shall get the fix and try it!

Stone Sheep Steve
03-21-2012, 09:33 AM
I've never needed to use my knife on a backpack trip for anything other than working on an animal. But that's by design. I save it for its intended purpose.
I do keep a sharpener in my daypack but don't for a longer trip.

SSS

Brambles
03-21-2012, 09:35 AM
WOW, the quick fix works better? The quick edge is awesome, I can't imagine how they could improve upon it, shall get the fix and try it!

Maybe mine is a different version than yours, its lansky but its orange. can't sharpen crap with mine.

Brambles
03-21-2012, 09:39 AM
I've never needed to use my knife on a backpack trip for anything other than working on an animal. But that's by design. I save it for its intended purpose.
I do keep a sharpener in my daypack but don't for a longer trip.

SSS

Thats because your a sheep hunter and left the tree's and veg down in the valley. Try hunting mulies in the Wet Kootenay's, sometimes you gotta clear a lot of sticks and cabbage to get a tent set up.

huntcoop
03-21-2012, 09:43 AM
Strange, a few buddies also have the black one and works awesome but for under $10 how can ya go wrong. I do see on the Lansky website that they don't have the orange one anymore, perhaps it was a lemon???

Jagermeister
03-21-2012, 10:35 AM
QUOTE=boxhitch;1116491]http://smithsedge.com/products/product.asp?id=46&cid=10

There are a few available that are similar. One seller has a table at some of the BC gun shows.
I've asked a couple of companys what the angle is of their hand-held sharpeners, no has the info available.

They will sharpen quickly if the knife edge matches the angles of the carbide/ceramic. If the sharpener is too acute for a more obtuse knife edge, you will be stroking a long time.[/QUOTE]

you will be stroking a long time
Now that could be good or bad, depending on what you're strokin'.:-D

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
03-21-2012, 10:47 AM
what will you be buy next week ........GEAR JUNKIE....jk

Brambles
03-21-2012, 11:18 AM
what will you be buy next week ........GEAR JUNKIE....jk

Looking at a lightweight camcorder........Handycam seems to fit the bill.

Wild Images
03-21-2012, 12:09 PM
Hey Jeff
Once the pack is light enough you know who gets to carry the beer don't cha !!

Stone Sheep Steve
03-21-2012, 12:22 PM
Thats because your a sheep hunter and left the tree's and veg down in the valley. Try hunting mulies in the Wet Kootenay's, sometimes you gotta clear a lot of sticks and cabbage to get a tent set up.

We do pack one saw between the two of us in case we need some firewood or cut a skull.

What about your anti-bear 12lb knife??

SSS

Brambles
03-21-2012, 12:31 PM
Hey Jeff
Once the pack is light enough you know who gets to carry the beer don't cha !!

Nothing will cramp my legs up faster then alcohol on a backpack trip......Still havn't found dehydrated beer.....someones gotta make it

We do pack one saw between the two of us in case we need some firewood or cut a skull.

What about your anti-bear 12lb knife??

SSS

Me no scare!!! I have a different bear killer for backpacking but I'm not sure if I'm gonna take it or not. A guys gotta draw the line somewhere....What are the odds its gonna happen again eh?

Moose Guide
03-21-2012, 10:23 PM
So its not the lansky? 393 grains is .898 ounces!

I found a name on it, it is a Redi Edge. It is 3" long x 1.25" wide x .25" thick but could be shortend to 2" before skeletonizing

BackPackHunter
04-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Small diamond key chain sharpener(with hook option)(wholesale sports)
cut the case down, tossed the plastic clip, used a key ring to attach it to my bag (14 grams or 0.5oz) works really good!

Pack knife ... Balade 34 gram knife... does the job (1.2oz)

Caping knife....Stanley 9mm Retractable cutter, 3 blades. 15 grams (0.53oz)

Saw.... Gerber E-Z Saw (couple holes drilled into) 50 grams (1.78oz)

All my cutting gear for backpack hunting. This is the best ultralight set I can come up with...
Total 113 grams or 4 oz or 1/4 lb

Havalon Knifes average 3oz plus blades, just something to think about.

ianwuzhere
04-04-2012, 09:15 PM
thats one thing i need to pack more is my lil gerber saw on back pack trips.
brambles, i just bot one of these lil lansky sharpeners in nanaimo wholesale sports last weekend for like $7- few different color handles- i got the red one as well.
very light, if it knocks down a few ounces then awesome!!
thanx.

BackPackHunter
05-16-2012, 08:20 PM
Small diamond key chain sharpener(with hook option)(wholesale sports)
cut the case down, tossed the plastic clip, used a key ring to attach it to my bag (14 grams or 0.5oz) works really good!

Pack knife ... Balade 34 gram knife... does the job (1.2oz)

Caping knife....Stanley 9mm Retractable cutter, 3 blades. 15 grams (0.53oz)

Saw.... Gerber E-Z Saw (couple holes drilled into) 50 grams (1.78oz)

All my cutting gear for backpack hunting. This is the best ultralight set I can come up with...
Total 113 grams or 4 oz or 1/4 lb

Havalon Knifes average 3oz plus blades, just something to think about.

Update...Diamond Key Chain Sharpener
Have used it now for a couple months, and have worn it out, I still like it, (because of the weight) and for the price I will keep replacing it for hunts.
Should be able to debone a large elk or moose with it. (I prefer a very sharp knife for deboning) but wouldn't recommend if weight is not a issue ...