PDA

View Full Version : Hunting the Peace River area

SKADman
03-19-2012, 12:06 AM
Myself and a couple friends from Vancouver Island have, on a bucket list, the idea that we would like to try elk and moose hunting in the Peace River Region for a change. We don't know much about the area, having hunted mostly in southern BC and the Island. Are there a lot of open logging/mining roads where hunters can get into some back country, like there is on Vancouver Island, Or is most hunting done on private land ?

How does one go about getting permission for hunting on private land when you don't know anybody in the area ?

Any help with this would be appreciated

BCRiverBoater
03-19-2012, 01:07 AM
Getting permission on private land can be very tough at the best of times. There a lot of land owners that do not allow hunting period and many already have family and friends using the land. It is not impossible but not easy. Private land holds alot of elk but not a lot of moose in this region. Most of the moose can be found on crown land.

There is not as many open logging roads and cut blocks as there once was as many have grown over. However there is an endless amount of oil patch roads. The only draw back is these areas are very busy with oil patch activity so there is a lot of traffic. Also you will find come mid August that there are hunting camps in many areas. Still very good hunting but some research is required and do not expect to be alone if you are accessing by vehicles and ATV's as others will be in the area.

Brett
03-19-2012, 11:04 AM
The above is great info. I would suggest you don't waste your time with the private land thought, just plan for a general area and ask here what people think or for some intel .We go up there every year and we go to a place that is normally swamped with hunters, but if you have feet and are willing to travel there are animals there. If you are doing bucket list type stuff hit Ft Nelson and do a boat in trip with River Jet Adventures...........

moosinaround
03-19-2012, 07:05 PM
Any of the rivers up there that are tributaries of the Peace hold decent numbers of elk. There is LOTS of swampy land up there as well, that hold the moose. As with all areas if the weather is hot, you will find the animals where it is cool!! Mid August is a gong show, any bull moose, and then the 3 or better elk opens, AND THEN antlerless elk after that! Every Tom Dick and Harry is up there so be prepared to share! River boaters like the areas from the water to the ridgelines, and quad hunters like from the ridgelines to the swamps up on top! Be mobile, and be prepared to move if you are not getting any action. You don't have to move far, and sometimes when you move you will luck into a herd crossing a block or road. I like the Farrell creek area, by Hudson Hope. Farrell creek and The Halfway are all elk producers along their edges, and sometimes don't quite have enough water for jetboaters, so that rules out one bit of competition! Go up there and explore, it is BEAUTIFUL country!! See you up there, Moosin

SKADman
03-19-2012, 07:23 PM
Thank you all for the info. I hadn't realized that it would be crowded. How can the animals withstand such hunting pressure and still be relatively plentiful. Or is it the case that there is a lot of territory with very limited access ?

brew16
03-19-2012, 10:48 PM
Moosinaround is right i have had lots of luck up farrel creek, took a couple of dandy bulls out of there and dont be shy on asking for permission on private land.. The farmers are overly nice since the elk are such a hasle for them.. good luck