PDA

View Full Version : Offseason Question

mattchu_19
03-18-2012, 08:12 PM
Heres a question for all the old buggers on the website. Was hunting better or worst before robos? Not really looking for numbers, but was the actual hunting better?

Bow Walker
03-18-2012, 08:22 PM
I resemble that remark about "old buggers"..............

Back in the day (before the invention of robos) we just took our chances. Set out our dekes (it was all in the patterning) got behind our blind and uncorked our thermoses. That was before they came up with those new fangled screw-in tops for the thermos.............

We actually had to learn ho to use a duck call to get them to "commit" to our setups. I remember a few times when the flock came in and we had our shots and then were able to call them back around for another try - purely by our calling expertise..........those were the days boyo!

heyblast
03-18-2012, 08:28 PM
If you mean robo ducks I don't know. Past seasons I would of said no,a good old fashion spread of decoys laid out properly with the right numbers according to time of the season was the best. I was seriously thinking of selling my robo duck. But this season with the robo combined with the decoys seem to work better. I hunt the same area each season and each season is different, the same when I lived in Ontario, so who knows, what ever works.

heyblast
03-18-2012, 08:31 PM
I'll add to Bow Walkers post that my thermos was a screw top but I'm heading to old bugger.:twisted:

Bow Walker
03-18-2012, 08:33 PM
Our shells had paper hulls too!

heyblast
03-18-2012, 08:36 PM
I forgot about those. Used to to put them on top of the water heater to dry out. How the hell they never blew up I don't know.

f350ps
03-18-2012, 09:35 PM
Hands down Robo's have made it so much easier to limit like a champ! I've noticed that for field shooting during daylight hours they are way more effective than just decoys. K

field marshal
03-18-2012, 10:09 PM
It's a bit hard to answer that question Matt! I've been in the same fields,
swamps and salt marshes every year for 60yrs now! There were more hunters in the 50's and 60's so more pressure of course. I wouldn't say we had more luck in the early years, but we sure hunted a lot of areas that are closed now! The spinning wing decoys pull birds from farther away and that's a given.Kinda miss shooting bluebills on the freshwater lakes it was great shooting and might have been better with a robo?? I don't know?? I've got no bitch about any of the years overall, if I was to die tomorrow I'd be a satisfied
webfoot chaser! I'm going out on a limb now, and say it's better now!!!
But of course most importantly, location, location, location!----Field Marshal.

Ian F.
03-19-2012, 05:58 AM
I grew up with lead, carrylites and glass vaccum thermos, does that make me an old bugger, please please please say NO!

Robo's pull em in like a pile of corn!

Certainly makes it easier if you or your spot is marginal to get into the birds..

Ian

Foxton Gundogs
03-19-2012, 07:33 AM
Hmmm Paper shells, Canvas 'Bone dry" coats(that wern't so bone dry) rubber hip boots, wooden deeks that seemed to weigh a ton with their lead belly weights, speaking of lead at least there was lead shot lol. Not sure about how the robos effected my preferance but the gear sure makes for a more comfortable shoot. I don't find the robos all that, some days they work like magic ans some days I swear they flare ducks off, especially in latter season. I'e had some great years lately but have some great memories frim "back then" but memories tend to only get sweeter with time as the $hit factor fades. I'll stick with neoprine waders, plastic shells and light deeks and robos.

Foxton Gundogs
03-19-2012, 07:36 AM
OH YAH almost forgot, being the "Old Bugger" now, I have the young bucks now to do what I used to have to do for the "Old Buggers" back then lol

Big Lew
03-19-2012, 07:43 AM
I've never used robos, but it makes sense that any wing movement on decoys will make a difference. I was taught how to put out decoys to entice birds, and to arrange them so that they drew the birds into gun range as they circled. I normally use mostly mallards, but put small sets of widgeon, pintail, and teal out as well. I do quite well unless it is very sunny and the water is glass smooth. I'm sure using robos under these conditions would help greatly. Many years ago, duck hunters would use "call ducks," but that's illegal now. We used to have a few, they were mallards, about 2/3's size, and the hunters would tie a cord with a lead weight onto a leg to keep them amongst the decoys. The "calls" were specifically bred to be small so that they could be identified by the shooters. It was very effective, but I know of situations when an enthusiastic hunter (probably after too much spiked coffee) would accidently shoot their live decoys.

shotgunjohn
03-19-2012, 08:20 AM
Defintely easier to get ducks right in the "spot" with a robo. This goes mostly for early season birds or in low light and bad weather.
Location is still the most important thing, but I think with a robo you can set up the shots you prefer with more success than decoys alone.
Late season we tend to turn it off after the morning flight, unless it's nasty weather.

f350ps
03-19-2012, 08:58 PM
Heres a question for all the old buggers on the website. Was hunting better or worst before robos? Not really looking for numbers, but was the actual hunting better?
One thing I will add is I never ever said back in the old day " Sorry I'd love to go whack some birds but my battery is dead." And yes, I did say this! K

lorneparker1
03-19-2012, 10:28 PM
I've never used robos, but it makes sense that any wing movement on decoys will make a difference. I was taught how to put out decoys to entice birds, and to arrange them so that they drew the birds into gun range as they circled. I normally use mostly mallards, but put small sets of widgeon, pintail, and teal out as well. I do quite well unless it is very sunny and the water is glass smooth. I'm sure using robos under these conditions would help greatly. Many years ago, duck hunters would use "call ducks," but that's illegal now. We used to have a few, they were mallards, about 2/3's size, and the hunters would tie a cord with a lead weight onto a leg to keep them amongst the decoys. The "calls" were specifically bred to be small so that they could be identified by the shooters. It was very effective, but I know of situations when an enthusiastic hunter (probably after too much spiked coffee) would accidently shoot their live decoys.

I would take a call duck over a robo anyday!