PDA

View Full Version : 5-1 Moose Hunt Report

pmj
10-23-2006, 03:40 PM
Just got back from 6 day moose hunt at 100 mile house. Had a bull draw for region 5-1 (Oct 15-31). We were going to hunt areas where we had shot moose in the past. We did some calling at sunset day before opening at our first prime hunting spot. At first light going to where we had called the night before, in front of us we had three trucks going down a 5 km dead end road. During the week we talked to 6 others who had moose draws. All the hunters in the area made it difficult to try to call moose. We did get one to come to our call at last light near the end of the week. We had him 30 yards away in the bush but we ran out of light and he refused to come out the last few steps. LOTS of does, did not see any of the wise big bucks, just signs of them. Good year for grouse. The temperature was just a little too warm all week. Did not get frost untill the day we came home.
I was happy to come through a game check on the north side of Cache Creek. The C.O.s don't have money in their budget to buy gas to drive in the woods so it is good to see them doing what they can with their limited budget.
There was a new clear cut in our area, since I prefer to walk when I hunt, I was happy to see the road had been de activated but dissapointed it had been left open for quads. Saw some ribbons deep in the woods marked "center of road". I hope any new roads that are put in will be totally deactivated when they are finished logging to preserve some "quiet" habitat for the moose. My family has hunted this particular area since the 70s. Over the years the areas that were deep in the woods are increasingly becoming accessible to vehicles. I am concerned that sadly, in a few more years I will be looking at moving my hunting to a new area.
It was a good week and I enjoyed the opportunity to be in the outdoors and away from the big city. The air is so much better in the woods.

Steeleco
10-23-2006, 03:52 PM
I just got back Friday night from Green lake for my buddies LEH tag. The moose in the one block we found played by the same rules as the moose you found!! literally they came out only with 5 min of shooting light. Still was a good week with good friends.

Husky7mm
10-23-2006, 07:43 PM
I think the strong part of the rut is over by oct 15-31, plus people have already been hunting there with early lehs from september. All the moose I called in this year were in the end of september.Not to say I didnt try to call them in in oct. I saw a disapointing amount of people EVERYWHERE I went!
It probably doesnt help that people tell people where they are putting in or are going hunting on a forum with 1500+- members to tell all there friends too!

BCLongshot
10-23-2006, 07:47 PM
Husky7mm

I agree with you. I'm keeping quiet next year.

Jelvis
06-05-2007, 08:23 AM
Lots of moose hunters up there eh, I think the best time for calling should be end of sept early october and like you guys said theres lots of new roads and vehicles in places but a very good report on the hunts in your area of 5:1 thanx

Fisher-Dude
06-05-2007, 08:25 AM
Jelly Roll, are you trying to take over as the King of Old Thread Resurrection from Mattimoose? 8)

Jelvis
06-05-2007, 01:35 PM
I guess you got me on that one, Fisher-Dude good observation, I won't ask who that is but I get your point. Don't bring up the past, it's a new day now a new season. Faith bro, good ooone, Jelly