PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with Dogs...Video

dogboy
03-16-2012, 09:37 PM
After reading the thread below I was thinking it was going to be about big game hunting with your best friend (dog)...not chasing cats up trees (never done it but if someone wants to take me out and show me how much fun it is I won't complain:-D !! )
My question is....does anyone take their dog out deer hunting? I do but have never run into anyone else out hunting with their furry best friend.
I've dragged my dog out hunting since he was a pup, but left him at home for the last month or so of the season (I always thought his bad breath would scare everything away!)
But now I couldn't imagine going without him; especially during the rut. I have learned to read his reactions and follow his lead. I had a black lab before Dexter that was obsessed with birds, but this lab loves to hunt deer. He has very little formal training but knows a few commands; close, stay, and crawl. He is rather sensitive and is very eager to please!

Here's a 6 minute video of our hunt at the end of Mule season...

http://youtu.be/57xCjLLzmWo

...the video doesn't give Dexter nearly the credit he deserves; he led me over a mountain and then stopped and stared for what felt like an eternity- I had stopped paying attention and was playing on my phone- until the deer nearly tripped over me!

Moose63
03-16-2012, 09:51 PM
I always wondered if a dog would be a help or hinderence when deer\moose\elk hunting.

My thoughts would be that a dog would be too noisy.

Brambles
03-16-2012, 09:53 PM
Cool, have to pack him far?

greenhorn
03-16-2012, 10:14 PM
Nice video and nice dog.

Sometime soon the rules on hunting ungulates with dogs will be brought up in this thread... worth looking into... speaking from personal experience here... I learned that just having your dog under control (like you did) isn't enough.

ELKAHOLICS
03-16-2012, 10:24 PM
thanks. nice too se. how did you get that footage ,? go pro etc. thank you.

Foxton Gundogs
03-17-2012, 08:24 AM
Nice video and nice dog.

Sometime soon the rules on hunting ungulates with dogs will be brought up in this thread... worth looking into... speaking from personal experience here... I learned that just having your dog under control (like you did) isn't enough.

Expensive lesson I'm guessing?

greenhorn
03-17-2012, 09:44 AM
Nice video and nice dog.

Expensive lesson I'm guessing?

Luckily no, no money involved.

03-17-2012, 10:32 AM
Cool Vid,
looks like you have a great friend with the Lab. They are excellent dogs, he looks pretty happy with bucky on the ground. as Greenhorn said, ...... dogs must be leashed while deer hunting. So careful what your doing there in relation to having the Lab with ya deer hunting. It is in the Regs though.

Have fun out there.
CT

dogboy
03-17-2012, 11:43 AM
I just carry a video camera; I had it on my lap. Couldn't get a good angle becouse the deer was too close and coming too fast.

dogboy
03-17-2012, 11:56 AM
[QUOTE=Foxton Gundogs;1114035]

Luckily no, no money involved.

I carry a leash with me but have ran into CO without out it, so far they been friendly about it ( of course mention that a dog chasing a deer could end up burried )

Livewire322
03-17-2012, 12:19 PM
Love the video!

Quesnel Kid
03-17-2012, 12:20 PM
Well made video. Do you think the dog really helps? I think it would be great to bring your dog along, but I have always wondered if they would actually help you find deer.

greenhorn
03-17-2012, 12:57 PM
[QUOTE=greenhorn;1114088]

I carry a leash with me but have ran into CO without out it, so far they been friendly about it ( of course mention that a dog chasing a deer could end up burried )

That's good that they are cool about it. It seems like a silly rule to me anyway.

hotload
03-17-2012, 06:52 PM
Lotsa fun with a dog, but if that dog crests a hill with you behind it and some guy spots if from many yards away,could be heartbreaking. Don't know If I would want to be hunting with that bear lookalike. Colored vest,harness, at least an orange collar.

MOUNTAIN MAN - TOYOTA/ATV
03-17-2012, 07:29 PM
Nice movie and really nice Lab.

vortex hunter
03-17-2012, 09:33 PM
Nice Movie ... I am Looking forward to many Years taking my Blue Heeler Hunting with me But I am buying a Vest Brightest I can Find Dont need SOME KNUCKLE HEAD SHOOTIN AT MY POOCH .....

Foxton Gundogs
03-17-2012, 10:44 PM
[QUOTE=greenhorn;1114088]

Unfortunately all it takes is one officious SOB and it could end badly and it is the law stupid or not so u would be in the wrong. Sad but true.

Lionhill
03-18-2012, 08:50 PM
I hunt with my Lab as well. She is very calm, and even with a deer walking by within 30 yards, she remains totally still.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y88/lionhill/novdeer.jpg

She is also a machine on fowl. Very handy.

LH

Red_Mist
03-18-2012, 09:11 PM
cool video. I hunt with my dog and i'm sure i'm louder than her in the bush.

fudge
05-05-2012, 05:40 PM
I hunt with my lab. I put a red bandana on hin and his vest for saftey

Farmer001
05-05-2012, 08:42 PM
Cool Video, and nice dog,

pappy
05-05-2012, 09:39 PM
I have a small leash that attaches to my belt when I take my lab out, she's very quiet and I read how she reacts to the wind and the scent on the ground. I like her company better than most people. Next weekend I'm taking her bear hunting with me.