PDA

View Full Version : FINALLY!!!! after 5 years!!!!

newhunter160
10-23-2006, 10:44 AM
I know many of you will call BS, but I have finally been able to "Cut a Tag"!!! after 5 years! Just got back from a antlerless deer LEH hunt in 5-14A...... its a given right?.... wrong! we saw lots of game. Bears, cow moose, wolves, coyotes, and lots of deer, but they were either on private land or way to far away! We did see a couple of big bucks just along the tree line at last light. My partner kept saying just be patient! (if 5 years isn't patient I don't know what is!) We did the sneak into a couple of spots really early and sat for close to 2 hours waiting for enough light to see the little ponds we had seen the girls at before (250yds). We did them but they came out at the ponds 800yds away.........way too much open grasslands! We finally spoted a couple of deer almost within range on the edge of a lake, my partner told me sneak way out to the left low behind some willows and work my way so the deer were between us and I could see my partner and down a old logging road with 2 and 3 foot trees growing where you would drive (sneak took about 30 minutes) . I could look straight west down the road and straight north to my partner. The deer were still on the tree line at the lake edge in the middle but still too far. When he saw me get ready. He started to walk out right at the deer. They stood there for a long time when my partner started to run at them they bolted straight into the timber. my partner stopped athe edge of the trees. I just kept looking down the loggin road. after about 15 minutes I figured they had run a different way I stood up to stretch my knees when I heard a noise. I froze. waiting holding my breath, could this be a deer??? sure enough a deer stepped out, another then another! I had a total of 4 deer standing on the old logging road. all were looking back into the timber at crazy noise maker out in the grassland. I raised my rifle, doe doe doe little buck! I decided to take the little Buck. Squeeze, didn't even hear the gun shot, and the little buck took 2 steps and went down. Sorry to have taken a life, but feel more connected to life than before. Absolutley thrilled! my partner who ran at them to get them running finally got to where I sat quietly with the little buck.

5 years some of you say?...... yep took me 5 years to finally squeeze off a shot and cut a tag. most of the reasons it took so long were beyond my control, vehicle issues, work, family hardship, all hitting most years when I was on trips.
Thanks for your time reading my long diatribe, but if you have made it this far, I am now hoping to fill my LEH for 3 point or better Bull ELK!!!, please wish me good luck!

MB_Boy
10-23-2006, 10:52 AM
Congrats to you.........little spiker was my first deer as well and it will be something you will never forget.

Caveman
10-23-2006, 11:22 AM
Open the flood gates, they will come in bunches now, look out. Good Going, Congrats on the first one and good luck on many more to come.

GoatGuy
10-23-2006, 11:28 AM
Congrats, good for you! Persistance pays off.

mtnmax
10-23-2006, 11:38 AM
Five years,,,,I understand,,,,I started hunting 12ish yrs ago and yup 5 yrs went by before I finally got my first deer. Odly enough it was a leh white tail doe in 8-14. Good hunting since but I am back into a slump.
Anyways, congrats on your buck, good luck on the moose!!

Gus
10-23-2006, 11:56 AM
congratulations, you'll always remeber this one.

Robert_G
10-23-2006, 12:11 PM
Took me 5 years to get the first one too.
Never will forget it.

Will
10-23-2006, 12:15 PM
That's why it's Called "Hunting" and not just killing........:)
No Guarantees but when it Happens for you it's Great.
Congrats on your 1st Buck,
Now your hooked for Life ! 8)

Elkhound
10-23-2006, 12:19 PM
That's why it's Called "Hunting" and not just killing........:)
No Guarantees but when it Happens for you it's Great.
Congrats on your 1st Buck,
Now your hooked for Life ! 8)

Everything I would have said is right here.:lol:

jaeger
10-23-2006, 12:20 PM
Good on you for being persistent. I cut my doe tag last friday in 8-01.
Cheers Jaeger

newhunter160
10-23-2006, 12:45 PM
it was an amazing trip! thanks for all the cudo's. I was thinking I was the only one who takes 5 years! hahahaha. Good luck to all,the rest of the year!~

What do you do with your hides?

NEEHAMA
10-23-2006, 12:50 PM
the first one's always the hardest, congrats

Will
10-23-2006, 02:59 PM
I was thinking I was the only one who takes 5 years!
If I told you how long it took me to Shoot my 1st Mulie Buck (a 1x2 :oops: ) you'd feel much better about your 5 years, believe me :lol:

reach
10-23-2006, 03:07 PM
Congrats... don't forget to post a pic on the deer contest thread!

This is my first year of hunting but I got lucky with a really good doe draw (5-14A) so I was able to fill that one pretty easily. I'm off to Rock Creek soon to try and find a buck though... wouldn't be surprised if it takes me a few years to pop that cherry.

burnt03
10-23-2006, 03:47 PM
Congrats man!

I'm in your old shoes right now, looking to get my first deer after 2 1/2 years of trying. Also vehicle issues, etc plus I'm a newbie and thus probably pretty easy to spot and hide from.

Have a doe draw (whitetail) this fall, hopefully I'll be able to have a similar report to yours!

Dieseldog6
10-23-2006, 04:25 PM
Way to go!

I've missed my chances to get out the last 2 or 3 years due to similar situations. This year is much better, but no deer . . . yet.:wink:

pmj
10-23-2006, 04:36 PM
What do you do with your hides?[/quote]
I have taken deer hides to Pacific Leather & Fur Dressers Inc. 3862 Commercial St. Vancouver. 604 874 5526. They ask you salt the fleshy side of the hide with plenty of fine salt (reqular table salt, not corse salt) it penetrates better. I put mine in a garbage bag since lots of liquid will be coming off it. They will do the hide hair on or hair off. I have had both of mine done with hair off. They take a few months. Give them a call to get their hours. It is a little hard to locate, check your map.

Fireball129
10-23-2006, 04:48 PM
you think that is bad,i'll be 37 in '07 and i am still at 0 for a big game animal.you don't want to know how many yrs.if it weren't for the fun of getting into the open country and hiking the woods I would have given this up along time ago,but i will keep hoping oneday.

QnsCowboy
10-23-2006, 05:44 PM
Good job and good luck with cutting a tag on your Elk.....

Craig

quadrakid
10-23-2006, 07:24 PM
anybody that sticks with it for five years to get there first,deer is a hunter for life, congrats you ,ll have plenty more drop but none sweeter than the buck of 06

7mmag
10-24-2006, 02:25 AM
Congrats! My hunting partner just cut his first tag after 7 years! and I wasn't there:mad: Good luck on your elk I'm still looking for my frist

Bigbuckadams
10-24-2006, 04:52 AM
Well done! Hope they start to come with a better frequency for you now:lol: . Congrats!

Islandeer
10-24-2006, 03:47 PM
Congrats, I still feel remorse for the animal I kill, but it does connect you the natural web.