PDA

View Full Version : Hunting With Dogs

ea187
03-15-2012, 12:06 AM
First of all let me say I'm not trying to troll or stir the pot but I'm unclear on this.

Do people that hunt with dogs still call it hunting. Personally I think letting a pack of dogs chase and tree an animal and then the "hunter" shooting it out of a tree, isn't really hunting.

Please no huge argument but I just wanted to get some other people's opinions on it.

hotload
03-15-2012, 12:09 AM
Oh oh, nope, not trying to stir the pot. Your using a big ladle for this soup and there's going to be a large eddy happening in this pot.

Bc Deer Hunter
03-15-2012, 12:28 AM
Firstly this thread is ridiculous.
I can not fully answer your question because i have not hunted big game with a dog only birds. BUT I am currently training my new pup to point/retreive grouse, quail and phesents for next year. That being said i dont know how it is ''not hunting'' when you train a dog or dogs to further your success in the feild. If you really wanted to know why, id suggest you do some reserch on this topic before you start crap on a hunting forum!

Jagermeister
03-15-2012, 12:48 AM
Dogs have been used in the hunting manner you stated for a thousand years or more. Today, it's still hunting.
In the Scandanavian countries, they use specialized hound, like the Norwegian Elk (Elg) hounds, to draw moose (elg) out.
You are probably referring to cougar hunting. I can assure you that if you were to partake in the thrill of the chase, you would change your mind in a hurry. It is not simply a case of having the dogs pursue the cat, tree it and for the hunter to casually make his way up to the tree and pop the cat. No siree, not that easy. At the end of the day, after chasing after the dogs, your butt will be so low to the ground that you may as well attach a blade to your ass and plow the road on the way home.
To draw the assumption it's not hunting is to judge a man before walking a mile in his moccasins or chase a few miles after his hounds have struck out upon a hot scent.

BiG Boar
03-15-2012, 01:02 AM
First off. Let me start by saying, do you wake up in the morning, look in the mirror, and say, "Wow, that is one giant TUNA!"

Secondly, define hunting. I would define hunting as pursuing animals, or drawing animals near, or laying in wait, with the intent to kill. Weather it be, on foot, on a quad, on horseback, or in your truck. Do you call it hunting when getting out of your truck to shoot an animal? Or must you be on foot with a 9 iron golf club, ready to smash it in the head as in your previous post?

Thirdly. Have you any clue, whatsoever, what it takes to train a dog to hunt cats? You don't just go to the friendly fellow at the pet store, and say, "I'll take three of your finest bow wow hounds", put them on the track of a giant cat, same day, and leisurely stroll to the tree following the barking of your 3 amazing dogs. If you think that is anything close to what it is, I will pay you thousands of dollars, for each of these dogs.

Ask anyone who has hounds, just how easy it is to "catch" a big cat. I don't have them, but I can tell you this, its beyond your wildest imagination, what goes into training hounds.

If YOU want to catch a big kitty, you'd have a better chance at it, if you tied your TUNA self to the tree, in hopes of luring it in with the smell of your stinking carcass.

There are many different forms of hunting. As hunters we must band together as a group if we're going to survive in todays society. Saying one form of hunting is politically incorrect, is just bringing us down from the inside out. Hunters are the greatest conservationalists on the planet (including controlling predators to help balance nature), we need to work together, instead of fighting against ourselves if we are going to make it in this day and age.

Bc Deer Hunter
03-15-2012, 01:19 AM
First off. Let me start by saying, do you wake up in the morning, look in the mirror, and say, "Wow, that is one giant TUNA!"

Secondly, define hunting. I would define hunting as pursuing animals, or drawing animals near, or laying in wait, with the intent to kill. Weather it be, on foot, on a quad, on horseback, or in your truck. Do you call it hunting when getting out of your truck to shoot an animal? Or must you be on foot with a 9 iron golf club, ready to smash it in the head as in your previous post?

Thirdly. Have you any clue, whatsoever, what it takes to train a dog to hunt cats? You don't just go to the friendly fellow at the pet store, and say, "I'll take three of your finest bow wow hounds", put them on the track of a giant cat, same day, and leisurely stroll to the tree following the barking of your 3 amazing dogs. If you think that is anything close to what it is, I will pay you thousands of dollars, for each of these dogs.

Ask anyone who has hounds, just how easy it is to "catch" a big cat. I don't have them, but I can tell you this, its beyond your wildest imagination, what goes into training hounds.

If YOU want to catch a big kitty, you'd have a better chance at it, if you tied your TUNA self to the tree, in hopes of luring it in with the smell of your stinking carcass.

There are many different forms of hunting. As hunters we must band together as a group if we're going to survive in todays society. Saying one form of hunting is politically incorrect, is just bringing us down from the inside out. Hunters are the greatest conservationalists on the planet (including controlling predators to help balance nature), we need to work together, instead of fighting against ourselves if we are going to make it in this day and age.
Well said...

vortex hunter
03-15-2012, 01:57 AM
Smells a little fishy in here boyz............

ea187
03-15-2012, 03:04 AM
I was just asking as a hockey mate of mine were discussing this earlier today. Personally I have never hunted with dogs but wasn't referring to hunting birds just large game ie cougars and bears. He said that he went hunting with a buddy and his dogs and didn't find it that sporting to shoot an animal in a tree. Mind you they weren't his dogs and he never trained them so that could be one reason he didn't really enjoy it.

The Dude
03-15-2012, 05:19 AM
Firstly: I hate hunting with dogs because they NEVER chip in for gas.

Secondly: You're new here. What kind of hunting do you do? Have you taken any animals in the last few years? Good hunts? Sheep, Mulies, Grouse?
Long walks on the beach? Pina Coladas? tell us about yourself.

fearnodeer
03-15-2012, 05:50 AM
Never hunted with dogs, but would still call it hunting, so if you hunt from a motorized vehicle does that mean its road kill ?

steel_ram
03-15-2012, 07:03 AM
They probably have special seats so your dog can sit on an ATV.

Hunting with hounds is certainly a different type of hunt. It takes a lot of effort and commitment, at least for the guy running the hounds. Many decline the kill since that really isn't what it's all about. If the person who shoots the animal out of the tree wasn't in the chase, then I agree there isn't much to that.

longstonec
03-15-2012, 07:05 AM
I thought this was going to be about taking dog on hunting trips.

Foxton Gundogs
03-15-2012, 07:36 AM
OK I agree This thread is probably not worth the effort but it has my lets say "attention". I have not HUNTED behind hounds for years but let me say if you dont consider it hunting go TRY to follow a pack who are TRYING to follow a big wiley old tom for a day. I do however train Gundogs and hunt upland birds with them. So are you by extension of your "question: sugesting that that is not hunting either? And what of, as others have said, other methods of "hunting" that are not the "treditional" stalking thu the woods?
Well stiring the pot may be relative but here this MAY be sufficient for YOUR task.
http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n499/FoxtonGundogs/Hunting%20other/BIGSPOON.jpg?t=1331821494

chilcotin hillbilly
03-15-2012, 08:07 AM
lets just say, your question is a dumb one to say the least. Running hounds I know a little bit about and I would have to say it is definately hunting as i have followed hounds once or twice.
You would be suprised how many hunters make a poor shot on a treed animal, call it nerves or what ever you want but this is the case quite often.
More work goes into having good dogs then it does getting into " sheep shape" not that you would probably know what that takes either.

For example I was training the pups yesterday and drove by a perfectly good fresh lion track an search of a day old one. Now your thinking "hillbilly has lost it?" but any of my dogs hound can run a fresh track and slam dunk that cat. So instead I drove on until I found a day old track which happened to be as far as the truck could go and put the dogs out on it. I strapped on the snowshoes and away we went. You start to second guess your self as the miles go by as you still have to get back to the truck . Thank goodness after 4 miles they jumped the cat off a muledeer kill and treed this female. The pups had to work for this one, fighting 3 feet of snow at times trailing a cold track.
This shows you the work that goes into training HUNTING DOGS, this is not a one time deal but day after day ongoing training session, so when the time comes that big tom will end up treed, regardless of the conditions.
This is the female from yesterday.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm194/skinnercreek/IMG_3441.jpg

Now compare that to bear hunting, there is nothing easier to kill in BC then a blackbear. 90% of the bears shot are probably with the hunter less then 100 yards from the truck, is that hunting???
Now chase that bear which the dogs winded and were let go on a blind strike, hike in a mile to find out its a 5 foot sow, walk back to the truck and try again. Alot more sporting then using the old ford blind. The use of hound is truly the only catch and release hunting and something everyone should try sometime.

SHAKER
03-15-2012, 08:16 AM
LOL...... I don't know if I can reply to this without using foul language.... I'll just agree with the other guys. The hunt is in the chase not the shot! Next question.

Hunter Dog
03-15-2012, 08:24 AM
Hahahaha Good thing...that might be considered illegal guiding!

[QUOTE=The Dude;1112654]Firstly: I hate hunting with dogs because they NEVER chip in for gas.

Foxton Gundogs
03-15-2012, 08:26 AM
LOL...... I don't know if I can reply to this without using foul language.... I'll just agree with the other guys. The hunt is in the chase not the shot! Next question.

PERFECT QUOTE!!!! we are talking HUNTING not killing Shaker your quote SHOULD end this thread.

digger dogger
03-15-2012, 08:28 AM
Your buddy the TUNA, must have heard my hounds treeing a cougar yesterday, which I let go! (catch and release) (in an area nobody hunts)
I wish your buddy was there, covered in sweat, huffing to try to catch his breath, just to hear me say, it's a female, she's walkin.
I started to leash up dogs to walk back to the truck, the cat jumped before I got a leash on all the dogs and had to release ALL of them to go to another tree, 5 times further than the 1st tree, just to walk for 2 hrs in the dark, straight up the mountain back to the truck.. Ya we are touchy about our dogs, us dog guys

A TUNA troll!! lol
And well said Big Boar.

Downwind
03-15-2012, 08:32 AM
First of all let me say I'm not trying to troll or stir the pot but I'm unclear on this.

Do people that hunt with dogs still call it hunting. Personally I think letting a pack of dogs chase and tree an animal and then the "hunter" shooting it out of a tree, isn't really hunting.

Please no huge argument but I just wanted to get some other people's opinions on it.

http://www.demotivationalposters.org/image/demotivational-poster/0904/trolling-trolling-troll-internet-likes-to-fight-fail-jerk-pu-demotivational-poster-1239308887.jpg

.330 Dakota
03-15-2012, 08:33 AM
I personally hvae never hunted with dogs, and dont want to own dogs. However I would do a cat hunt with them with someone elses dogs. I cant imagine the WORK required and dedication to train /maintain the training of these dogs for the sole purpose of hunting.
I assume it takes a lot of time and money to keep this critters in HUNTING shape. I dont criticize anyone for this hard work, and I hear its an exciting hunt for all.

MB_Boy
03-15-2012, 08:40 AM
He said that he went hunting with a buddy and his dogs and didn't find it that sporting to shoot an animal in a tree. Mind you they weren't his dogs and he never trained them so that could be one reason he didn't really enjoy it.

What if HE is in the tree? :wink: Is it really that sporting to drive in your heated truck to the end of a spur....walk in 100 yards, climb a tree and sit there? The poor little deer doesn't even know you're there until he feels hot lead ripping through him and his eyes go crosseyed; at least the cougar can try and lose the dogs or fight back as he/she KNOWS they are being pursued. :?

Is it really sporting to prey on poor male ungulates during the one time of the year they get their groove on by calling to them like females? :roll: It's similar to doing your best to dress up as a woman and wait at the first bar outside of a prison....the recently released criminals aren't going to have ANY discretion until it's too late and they're feeling the proverbial and unexpected "bullet". :shock: :-P

Big Lew
03-15-2012, 08:41 AM
There are good retorts from just about everyone responding to the OP's question and remarks. I wholeheartedly agree with them. I don't have much to go on from the OP's lack of profile, but judging from his few threads and posts, including this one, I can only conclude that he's a relatively new and inexperienced hunter. As has been said so many times, "walk a mile in another man's shoes before passing judgement." I also would encourage the OP to do even a basic bit of research on 'Hunting, Hunting methods, and Hunting's history' before "stirring the pot" with such an obvious clueless and inflammatory remark.

Barracuda
03-15-2012, 08:44 AM
:oops: I am embarrassed for your parents and wish them more success with a younger sibling:oops: .

03-15-2012, 09:03 AM
I have never hunted behind hounds, but would LOVE to.

Laurence_Erickson
03-15-2012, 09:14 AM
The best answers to this question were from chilcotin and digger . When I had dogs and was asked this question .it's simple .It is the only catch and release hunting sport we can partake in . Every time one lets dogs go it's a guessing game as to weather they come home alive or if your going to have to spend a week looking for your dogs or even see said prey . If you have any kkind of an adventurous streak just wade in on a big old boar or tom cat that has decided he really isn't interested in climbing a tree . Yes those were the days and that makes the hunt even more intense.

Spokerider
03-15-2012, 09:27 AM

You've got it figured right, it ain't really hunting......... I wished more people thought like you, especially if you live on van isle.

Wild one
03-15-2012, 09:39 AM
Sitting in a tree stand or blind waiting is hunting

Driving around with a truck or ATV is road hunting

And from the guys I know who have hunted with hounds they all say hunting with hounds is more challenging then the above methods.

So why would hunting with hounds not be hunting?

scoutlt1
03-15-2012, 09:55 AM
It's legal, it takes a TON of work training dogs, it's very demanding, and yes....it is hunting!

The majority of people on here are educated, responsible sportsmen/women, and when they ask a question about hunting they've done at least some research on the subject they are asking about.

You should do the same.

03-15-2012, 10:15 AM

omg, You are good!
insert big spoon here.....

Just in case you are serious though..... Just because you dont think it is hunting does not mean it is not hunting.
This is our sport. We all have an opinion on what method we prefer. This does not give us the right to say anothermethod is bad or wrong. It just means we prefer to chase an animal another way.

So dont go around saying Hunting with hounds is not hunting, Because you just prooved to us you dont know jack about it. You may just be ruining something for someone, you have no business sticking your nose in judging. There is far more to it then killing.

Ridgeback Fan
03-15-2012, 10:24 AM
Well said...

I second that. Ignorance is obviously behind this thread.

Island Redneck
03-15-2012, 10:33 AM
I guess the OP.er accomplished what they wanted.

So far: We have a hound hunter saying , hound hunting is better than road hunting for black bear.

We have another person saying hound hunting is more sporting than hunting out of a blind and also more sporting than hunting during the rut.

If this thread goes on much longer, eventually most methods of hunting will be questioned and devalued.

It is fine to defend your preffered method of hunting, but dont throw others hunters preffered method of hunting under the bus while promoting yours.

Barracuda
03-15-2012, 10:35 AM
i think people seem to overlook what is really involved. Ever notice that people that say hunting with dogs isnt hunting are the ones that cant train thier dogs to to shit outside never mind function in a job lol .

When you watch a hunting show or any show for that matter you are looking at less the 1% of all the time involved . Many times guys show up on a guided hunt pay the money follow the dogs and figure that is all thier is but they only really see the end result of hundreds if not thousands of hours put into the dogs and related aspects of it.

One could think they are takeing a shortcut and buy trained dogs instead of doing it themselves but even that is gonna take huge amount of time to maintain and figure out to hunt.
It is endless it doesnt take a break and careing/training for the dogs does not end when the hunting season does. These animals dont really make good pets as such for the average person they take alot of day in day out work.

Compare moose hunting where most guys wont shoot a moose away from the road and all you have to do is drive far enough north and be sober enough to shoot a sheet of plywood and you have a full freezer yet ive yet to hear someone say that that isnt hunting lol!

nothiing gets your blood going like hearing your hounds open on a bear across a hill seeing them break into the clear , the adrenelin coursing through you veins as the hounds stop and go on a bear that is bad .
Or you think you have it treed and have the bear bail soon as it sees you and then your in for another race or the bears crossess a river and the dogs get screwed or it scales a rockface and dogs get stuck or you are trying to round up your dogs on a bear that wont tree but will stand and fight. A rescue mission for a hound is a huge challange also

Hounding is a huge investment emotionally physically and skill wise

Barracuda
03-15-2012, 10:39 AM
I guess the OP.er accomplished what they wanted.

So far: We have a hound hunter saying , hound hunting is better than road hunting for black bear.

We have another person saying hound hunting is more sporting than hunting out of a blind and also more sporting than hunting during the rut.

If this thread goes on much longer, eventually most methods of hunting will be questioned and devalued.

It is fine to defend your preffered method of hunting, but dont throw others hunters preffered method of hunting under the bus while promoting yours.

I think all that is being said is no one questions these other methods of hunting which take fare less personal investment like driveing around on a quad to shoot a deer bear moose etc.

Iron Glove
03-15-2012, 10:39 AM
I know absolutely nothing about hunting with dogs - one of my dogs is afraid of guns and the other one is too goofy. :???:
But, is hunting with dogs any different than hunting with the wife :confused:

03-15-2012, 10:43 AM
I know absolutely nothing about hunting with dogs - one of my dogs is afraid of guns and the other one is too goofy. :???:
But, is hunting with dogs any different than hunting with the wife :confused:

Yep there is one cougar you shoot with bullets and another cougar you shoot with other stuff

Ya that makes no sense in relation to my quoting you but i think its still funny

chilcotin hillbilly
03-15-2012, 11:18 AM
Island Redneck,
I never said Hound hunting for bear is any better or worse then using the old ford blind, it just takes more work!! Just because it takes more work does not make it any more of a hunt, it only proves the average houndsmen is one sandwich short of a picnic!!!

MB_Boy
03-15-2012, 11:20 AM
I

Haha.....if that was directed at my post; you completely missed the sarcasm in my post. :wink: :wink:

I have no issue with hound hunting at all....I have never done it but read many a tale on here over the years and it sure doesn't sound easy. :wink:

Barracuda
03-15-2012, 11:20 AM
I aspire to being only one sandwich short:-D

Jagermeister
03-15-2012, 12:12 PM
OK I agree This thread is probably not worth the effort but it has my lets say "attention".

lets just say, your question is a dumb one to say the least.

You guys that are slamming the OP for the thread are all wet. This thread has more relevency than the "JELEVATOR Can you Rise to the TOP Must (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?79079-JELEVATOR-Can-you-Rise-to-the-TOP-Must-post-to-ENTER-Contest-for-Kamloops-area-mules)" thread that has garnered 508 replys of inane drivel! http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon13.png http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon13.png http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon13.png

Calamity
03-15-2012, 12:16 PM
Hunting dogs are partners and tools (of a sorts).

A good hunting partner will help you. The right tool for the job makes the work easier.

One can hunt in a wide variety of ways (crossbow, muzzleloader, rifle, shotgun) depending on what you're after and what the regulations permit. It's up to the individual taste on the style of hunting that appeals to them.

Let's say you favour using a rifle. If you choose to use a scope or open sights that's your prerogative. I feel the same way about hunting dogs. They were bred to aid the hunter, so if you like to use them then all power to you.

I appreciate the merits of each different way of bagging game and respect the people that dedicate themselves to their sport.

Take care.
:wink:

Foxton Gundogs
03-15-2012, 12:16 PM
omg, You are good!
insert big spoon here.....
http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n499/FoxtonGundogs/Hunting%20other/BIGSPOON.jpg?t=1331821494
Just in case you are serious though..... Just because you dont think it is hunting does not mean it is not hunting.
This is our sport. We all have an opinion on what method we prefer. This does not give us the right to say anothermethod is bad or wrong. It just means we prefer to chase an animal another way.

So dont go around saying Hunting with hounds is not hunting, Because you just prooved to us you dont know jack about it. You may just be ruining something for someone, you have no business sticking your nose in judging. There is far more to it then killing.

Say "thank you" Dru

03-15-2012, 12:19 PM
That about does it Jim,,,, But where is the pot?

Foxton Gundogs
03-15-2012, 12:44 PM
That about does it Jim,,,, But where is the pot?

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n499/FoxtonGundogs/Hunting%20other/Cannabis20factory20raided.jpg?t=1331840606

Cheeezze Dur do I have to do EVERYTHING 4 U???

03-15-2012, 01:25 PM
hahahah!
thats good. I hope its not yer basement!

Foxton Gundogs
03-15-2012, 01:56 PM
Nope I am a child of the 60s but I dont have the kahones for that

SHAKER
03-15-2012, 04:10 PM
I think we scared him away guys, it's a bad group of guys to pick as we're a little shy on the lunch basket. I think he should post about how sheep hunters should stop since you're wasting bones and other scrapes of meat on those back back trips LOL.... Long live the hound dawgers!

BlacktailStalker
03-15-2012, 04:19 PM
People that are simple minded enough to think you just take 'a dog and put it on a track' aren't worth the time to even begin to explain things to.
They rank right up there with the environmentalists/antis that wear soled shoes (oil) and drive vehicles (pollution etc)

Foxton Gundogs
03-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Can't believe his statement that he had no problem with bird dogs but did with hounds. Let me see I put a spaniel down on birds you put hounds down on a scent, My spaniel flushes a phesant in front of my shotgun, your hounds tree a cat or bay a bear, I ID cock or hen U ID age and sex then we both decide whther to pull the truger or not:confused::confused:HMMMM am I missing something here??

mikey
03-15-2012, 05:44 PM
haha, not anotherone. how many threads like this are we going to have this year?

Nait Hadya
03-15-2012, 07:24 PM

been chasing them awhile now and have taken two lions and neither were in a tree. obvious your judgement is emotional based not practical.

ea187
03-16-2012, 07:49 AM
Thank you to all who posted helpful and useful information. After reading all the useful replies, I would love to go on a hunt for cougars with dogs to see what it's all about. Still not sure if I would want to take the shot on the treed animal though. And yes as someone mentioned earlier I am a rookie and pretty new to hunting. I've been a big time city boy my whole life and the closest I got to guns and hunting as a kid was video games. Lol.

Barracuda
03-16-2012, 08:20 AM

Gimme a break, if you simply didnt know you would have approached the subject with an open mind not condemnation.

Sorry but first you go for the ignorant troll and when you find the vast majority dont see it the way you want them too you try to plead that you were ignorant and unaware.

You burned your bridge so if you want to go on a hunt with dogs you can go find a guide and pay for the privilege.

SHAKER
03-16-2012, 08:21 AM
If you've watched any of it on t.v. then you've missed all of the glory of hound hunting. Unfortunatlly they dont' show all the parts that real hound guys want to see or its dosent make good footage hearing dogs running in canyons or jammed up in thick timber. I see you have an open mind which is good, otherwise this thread would be on a slippery slope.

ea187
03-16-2012, 08:55 AM
Gimme a break, if you simply didnt know you would have approached the subject with an open mind not condemnation.

Sorry but first you go for the ignorant troll and when you find the vast majority dont see it the way you want them too you try to plead that you were ignorant and unaware.

You burned your bridge so if you want to go on a hunt with dogs you can go find a guide and pay for the privilege.

You can go **** yourself. I stated that I didn't agree with shooting an animal in a tree. I wasn't trolling. If I was trolling my posts would have been a lot different.

buckhunter
03-16-2012, 09:00 AM
until i met the chilcotin hillbilly and some of his friends,all i knew about running hounds was what i saw on tv. until,he gave me the opportunity to actually see for myself the long hours and lots of patience that goes into training these dogs. and the reward of seeing what these amazing dogs do in action. actually being there when the dogs get a scent of a cat or bear is an experience i won't soon forget,listening to them barking as they run through the bush in hot pursuit, it's an experience that you will never have from sitting on the couch watching it on tv. i have a whole new respect for the houndsman and his dogs. Thanks Doug and Mike. i owe you one!

ea187
03-16-2012, 09:06 AM
until i met the chilcotin hillbilly and some of his friends,all i knew about running hounds was what i saw on tv. until,he gave me the opportunity to actually see for myself the long hours and lots of patience that goes into training these dogs. and the reward of seeing what these amazing dogs do in action. actually being there when the dogs get a scent of a cat or bear is an experience i won't soon forget,listening to them barking as they run through the bush in hot pursuit, it's an experience that you will never have from sitting on the couch watching it on tv. i have a whole new respect for the houndsman and his dogs. Thanks Doug and Mike. i owe you one!

See this is a useful post. Thank you.

pieter
03-16-2012, 09:10 AM
anybody that thinks shooting a cougar out of a tree isn't sporting or hunting will probably never have a cougar mount and anybody that has never hunted with hounds will never experience the thrill of the chase you can go shoot a deer standing in a cutblock which is about the same as shooting a cougar but usually a lot less work try chasing a cougar over a couple of mountains i hunted hounds for over 40 years so i have been there

SimilkameenSlayer
03-16-2012, 09:16 AM
the thing with dogs, is their farts can very smelly.

bowhunterbruce
03-16-2012, 09:17 AM
Can't believe his statement that he had no problem with bird dogs but did with hounds. Let me see I put a spaniel down on birds you put hounds down on a scent, My spaniel flushes a phesant in front of my shotgun, your hounds tree a cat or bay a bear, I ID cock or hen U ID age and sex then we both decide whther to pull the truger or not:confused::confused:HMMMM am I missing something here??

sounds like hunting to me,
both methods require alot of work, training ,hiking,judging, more work, training, hiking, judging
oh ya ,then weather or not a shot is taken.
yeppers, thats hunting to me
bhb

Foxton Gundogs
03-16-2012, 09:23 AM
the thing with dogs, is their farts can be very smelly.

NOW THAT is maybe the truest statement of this thread:mrgreen:

Iron Glove
03-16-2012, 09:37 AM

But would you shoot the bird if your spaniel treed it. :wink:
I think your post really sums it up quite well, one may not agree with or partake of a particular form of hunting but that doesn't make it wrong. As long as it's legal and ethical ( there's a whole 'nuther arguement ) it's hunting and whilst I may not personally hunt that way / that specie or whatever, I support your right to do it.

scoutlt1
03-16-2012, 09:48 AM
I think your post really sums it up quite well, one may not agree with or partake of a particular form of hunting but that doesn't make it wrong. As long as it's legal and ethical ( there's a whole 'nuther arguement ) it's hunting and whilst I may not personally hunt that way / that specie or whatever, I support your right to do it.

ea187....please read the above post. It sums up how us as hunters should think. Many of us don't hunt in all the ways that are available to us, but as hunters we support all forms of hunting as long as it's legal and ethical.
In your opening post you stated that hunting with hounds is not hunting, and put the word hunter in quotes.
You shouldn't be surprised that you are going to get some opinionated and heated responses, and rightly so, that don't agree with you.
Hunters that work with hounds put in more time, effort, and money than the majority of hunters out there.

03-16-2012, 09:57 AM
Thank you to all who posted helpful and useful information. After reading all the useful replies, I would love to go on a hunt for cougars with dogs to see what it's all about. Still not sure if I would want to take the shot on the treed animal though. And yes as someone mentioned earlier I am a rookie and pretty new to hunting. I've been a big time city boy my whole life and the closest I got to guns and hunting as a kid was video games. Lol.

Just remember
This is our sport. We all have an opinion on what method we prefer. This does not give us the right to say another method is bad or wrong. It just means we prefer to chase an animal another way.

When you are new to the sport you dont know what goes into things. We are a "Jumpy" sort because we as hunters come under fire for what we do all the time. It is fighting amongst ourselves that is the most daming critisism. You thinking that hound hunting is not hunting is the worst kind of critisism. Though it happens all the time on this site, and with a similar result.

Go forth ea187 and hunt, be an ambassador of our sport. Enjoy all types of hunting and revel in the success that will come. Eat like a king and breathe the fress air. Take in the comrodery of the hunt.......... But never critisize some one for doing the same thing another way. :)

FirePower
03-16-2012, 01:31 PM
One should at least sample all forms of this amazing sport called hunting before forming an opinion what is for me may not be for you however we are all in it together on verious levals. I know bird dogs I have also had the privlage of following hounds both mounted and afoot. There is a whole differant dedication involved that most aspects of our sport. Ypu are right it is not hunting it goes far beyound that and only we dog men can truely understand it.

Nait Hadya
03-16-2012, 02:02 PM
seems ea187 likes to hunt squirrels with his pellet gun. wonder if he is shootin 'em on the ground or in the tree. LOL
squirrels are protected here and almost pets not very sprotsman like ea187.
do you need a permit,license fur that?

"a pellet gun would be plenty. i have a .22 ar2078A and it takes out squirrels with no problems up to 40yards"

vortex hunter
03-16-2012, 02:15 PM

you should go hunting WITH 91JASON91 you too would be good for each other ......... lol two CITY BOYS

Rodd
03-16-2012, 02:43 PM
"Go forth ea187 and hunt, be an ambassador of our sport. Enjoy all types of hunting and revel in the success that will come. Eat like a king and breathe the fress air. Take in the comrodery of the hunt.......... But never critisize some one for doing the same thing another way. :smile: "

Well put 835! I grew up with a father that had a passion for hounds, and hunting... Done more work, chasing, training, preparing, checking, finding, tracking with hounds, than nearly every other method I tried... And I learned a tonne of info while doing that, that applys to the other methods of hunting I prefer now...(older).. Absoloutely nothing easy about a hound hunt!!! Back in the day, before radio collars, and GPS collars, the only way to even find your dogs most days was to follow them..... and follow them.... and follow them... till they come back or you find them... I had many friends that thought the same as you EA and they would always question me on why I wouldn't release the dogs, on anything but a track that was less than 6hrs old, and big!! Day old tracks just lead to wild goose chases in those days, and sometimes after letting them go, it took 11 days to get the dogs all back and accounted for... I have spent more than one night in -20 walking for miles and miles through deep snow trying to find the truck after chasing the Hounds the entire day, and loosing track of where I ended up... So the "Hunt" in my eyes then, comes from finding the right Track to chase in most cases... and knowing the age and size and class of animal before risking the release of my Fathers Thousands of dollars hounds! I have taken one large Male Cat, and every other cat I treed has walked, and I took its picture... Just trying to relate that theirs way more goes into it than the final espisode, the shot.... I have walked 100's of miles to get my kitty... Tell me Whats NOT sporting about that??

03-16-2012, 03:38 PM
Rodd

Part of the reason i have never hunted cat is the old school methods! My Good friends dad is/was a well known cat hunter on SVI here. I could have gone any time i wanted, Still think i should have. But i dont think he hunts cat anymore. Any way My buddy Mike as he puts it,,, Started with a back pack and lunch and gear and a gun and a radio. He would chase the dogs to the tree and call his dad. He finnished it ann by scrapping everything but the radio and the gun. He has some stories of glory, chasing them dogs up the mountains with only a rifle and raido. Only to show up at the tree and watch the cat dump out, land on a dog, screw up the dog a bit and bolt again.

I thought the driving around in the snow trying to find a track and quarden it off part was the fun bit,,,, then i was told id have to put my time in as runner!

sheepsheen
03-16-2012, 04:16 PM
Hunting with dogs is an absolute blast. There is no sure thing at the end of the trail. It is a great adventure.

BCHunterTV
03-16-2012, 05:55 PM
i wishing hunting with dogs was easy as some people like to believe...