PDA

View Full Version : Another Sleeping Bag Thread

the stump
03-14-2012, 09:21 PM
Hi guys

After freezing my but off my last trip I have decided to upgrade my sleeping bag for the upcoming season - the last post on this was last year so I was hoping to get some updated help. I am usually a hot sleeper so I am a little worried about getting something to hot. From reading prior posts I think I have narrowed my choice down to:

- Western Mountaineering Badger - I am a bigger guy and dont want to be cramped in my bag - does anyone know if it is worth paying the extra 100 for the gore windstopper?

- Mont Bell Super Spiral Down Hugger #0

- Valendre Bloody Mary

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

Tarp Man
03-14-2012, 10:57 PM
Anyone who I have spoken to about the Western Mountaineering sleeping bags has no negatives to report. I would strongly recommend the WM bags. It will be my choice next year.

MattW
03-15-2012, 07:13 AM
I've been very happy with my Montbel Spiral Stretch down bag.

snareman1234
03-15-2012, 07:24 AM
I've been very happy with my Montbel Spiral Stretch down bag.

Me too, I'd get the MBSS #1 though, good to -9

MattW
03-15-2012, 07:42 AM
Me too, I'd get the MBSS #1 though, good to -9

I think that's the one I have. To the OP, I'm also a warm sleeper and I find this bag comfortable up North hunting thinhorns just sleeping in my drawers. In the South for bighorns I usually end up sleeping on top of it instead of inside.

the stump
03-15-2012, 08:41 PM
I think from all of the reviews I have seen around the web it may be time to bite the bullet and pick up a WM - not a negative review out there.

Thanks to all of the guys that has posted in this threads and others - just an awesome place to research your next piece of gear.

MattW
03-15-2012, 08:53 PM
Sounds like a plan, I don't think you could go wrong with any of the three you're looking at.

ytlogger
03-16-2012, 07:24 AM
[QUOTE=the stump;1112509]Hi guys

... - Western Mountaineering Badger - I am a bigger guy and dont want to be cramped in my bag - does anyone know if it is worth paying the extra 100 for the gore windstopper? ...
QUOTE]

I have been thinking about this bag too, for the girth around the shoulders. I think I would get the gore shell to keep the down dry from perspiration/respiration frost and moisture that forms on the shell.

digger dogger
03-16-2012, 07:52 AM
T stump, I have a WM apache, it is awesome. They have a lifetime warranty, and I had a complaint that the R value of my 1st bag was going down and I was getting cold after 6 yrs.. It was replaced with zero hassle, from MEC..

bigwhiteys
03-16-2012, 09:05 AM
Those are all good bags you've listed. For a bigger guy, WM might be your best option. Look at Feathered Friends too... They make some really nice bags, custom sizing.

I have the Valandre Bloody Mary and it's fine for august/september and into october, but it does seem tight. The Gore Windstopper is probably water resistant enough for what most guys would do, you wouldn't be sleeping out in a rainstorm without a tent though... You'd want a true water repellant/water proof shell for that.

craigo
03-16-2012, 10:52 AM
I just picked up the Swift model bag from Feathered Friends.
Yet to put it to the test, I sure hope I don't regret it. These bags are pretty low on the radar.

troutseeker
03-16-2012, 12:47 PM
Have you checked the Montbel Spiral Stretch down bags? Most comfortable bag I have ever used.

REMINGTON JIM
03-16-2012, 12:57 PM
I have a Taiga bag from vancouver - i like it - very good quality so far - only had it about 20 yrs now ! LOL any one else using Taiga products ? RJ

budismyhorse
03-17-2012, 08:07 PM
Another plus 1 for the MBSS..... Its designed to shrink wrap your body so no heat escapes. After using one for two years I can't imagine getting a different bag. Jump in one before you pull the trigger on another.

MattW
03-17-2012, 09:06 PM
Another plus 1 for the MBSS..... Its designed to shrink wrap your body so no heat escapes. After using one for two years I can't imagine getting a different bag. Jump in one before you pull the trigger on another.

This is true but I'll add that it doesn't feel like a mummy bag or overly tight. It stretches as you move and is very comfortable and non-claustrophobic.

dingdongdenny
03-23-2012, 09:44 AM
i had a taiga bag as well,till my wife let the step kids us it.Now it is the proud owner of someone else, just don't know who.Was a great bag, and good to -9c, bit cold @ -25c.:icon_frow, if there was a icicle icon i would use it.

budismyhorse
03-24-2012, 08:17 PM
This is true but I'll add that it doesn't feel like a mummy bag or overly tight. It stretches as you move and is very comfortable and non-claustrophobic.

great point........

thats how I convinced my hunting partner to buy one..........cause he's huge and hates mummies..........he jumped in mine and bought one the next day. Loves it.

BackPackHunter
04-01-2012, 10:22 AM
Last year I was using a Mountain Hardwear Lamina 0 Regular (3.9 lbs with the stuff sack) I thought the Lamina was a very good bag, for mid season backpacking. At the end of August it was a bit too warm. September it was nice. Used it at the end of October for 7 days; a couple nights it dipped down at night to the -25c range. (that was very cold) Very good bag for the price.
http://www.mountainhardwear.ca/Lamina™-0-%28Regular%29/OU8448_R,default,pd.html

I just order the new Marmot Plasma 15. I think this will be a better bag for the early season hunts. (30 oz)
http://www.campsaver.com/plasma-15-sleeping-bag-900-down
http://marmot.com/products/plasma_15?p=117

Sea to Summit Toaster Fleece Sleeping Bag Liner to add on late yr hunts (20 oz)
http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/27

I think your sleeping pad is importation too.
http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/fast-and-light/neoair-xlite/product (12.5oz)
This is a very good pad but not as tuff as my pro light... But if you take a extra minute to clear your sleeping spot before setting up your tent you will not have a problem