PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Afternoon

Calamity
03-14-2012, 05:24 PM
So the long and short of it is that after going for a little jaunt this afternoon I have discovered an odd sight. :confused:

I have a question regarding baiting...and can't find the answer in the convoluted Synopsis.

Is it legal to use dead cattle and horses as bait to shoot wolves and coyotes on Crown land?

I know the two dead coyotes tossed into the coulee wasn't legal but the other I'm not so sure about.

Thanks tons.

P.S.

Added a little picture from today.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/CattleAnnie/BearMtnMar1412002.jpg

rocksteady
03-14-2012, 05:29 PM
It is only illegal to bait for bears. Period.

The Dude
03-14-2012, 05:34 PM
Nice wolf track.
Now kill it :D

BCHunterTV
03-14-2012, 06:03 PM
It is only illegal to bait for bears.

100% right

elkeater
03-14-2012, 06:14 PM
i seem to remember this discusion before on this site and someone posted some quotes from the regs and it basiclly said that you cant bait any predators

rocksteady
03-14-2012, 06:18 PM
i seem to remember this discusion before on this site and someone posted some quotes from the regs and it basiclly said that you cant bait any predators

Here we go again:roll::roll::roll:

It is only illegal to bait bears....END STOP.

elkeater
03-14-2012, 06:27 PM
cool any god bait for yotes

TimberPig
03-14-2012, 06:34 PM
Here we go again:roll::roll::roll:

It is only illegal to bait bears....END STOP.

It is also illegal to bait migratory birds.

rocksteady
03-14-2012, 06:38 PM
We were talking about animals, not birds, but yes, you are correct on that....

scoutlt1
03-14-2012, 06:43 PM
cool any god bait for yotes

Unleavened bread soaked in holy water ;-)

I don't hunt 'yotes over bait but I've heard that coyote meat, deer scrapes, and fish work well.

Calamity
03-14-2012, 06:47 PM
Hmmm...thanks guys for answering my question about the wolves and coyotes.

So it's perfectly legal for Joe Blow to have three dead adult cow carcasses, one dead horse and two dead calves dumped on an oil lease in Crown land.

With bear season just around the bend and all this offal laying about, I wonder if he will pack up his portable blind on move off that location on opening day. :mrgreen:

Curiouser and curiouser.

Calamity
03-14-2012, 06:57 PM
Nice wolf track.
Now kill it :D

Wasn't packing the rifle today. Just enjoying a little scouting.

Maybe next days off I'll get serious about bagging one or two, if I'm lucky.:wink:

boxhitch
03-14-2012, 07:01 PM
Somebody should be on this
What a mess , no regard

Should have traps and blinds in place already :)

Calamity
03-14-2012, 07:35 PM
Yeah, no doubt, eh?

Buddy already has his ground blind set up...but I still might take a wander down over yonder when it's Yogi season.

I imagine a pic-a-nic basket like that will be pretty hard for them to resist. :redface:

boxhitch
03-15-2012, 07:03 AM
Bet there won't be much left for yogi

Calamity
03-15-2012, 12:21 PM
If he keeps dragging carcasses up there and popping the yotes and wolves I imagine there will be enough odds and ends to smell appealing to a hungry bear in the Spring. There is still a fair amount left of the first cow he brought in three weeks ago.

Can't hurt to take a look. I won't horn in on his location but will definitely be nosing around the vicinity to see what kinds of sign shows up.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-15-2012, 12:27 PM
As long as there is a wolf/yote or cougar season open, he can still continue to bait. It may attract bears but he just won't be able to shoot them in the vicinity of the bait.

SSS

03-15-2012, 12:27 PM
At that volume maybe it might be an idea to give a CO a shout. Just in case you are right with Apr 1 coming up. Maybe nothing Illegal now but soon it might get different..

That just sounds like a schwack of dead stuff to be dumping on Crown

Stone Sheep Steve
03-15-2012, 12:35 PM
WOLF 7-19 to 7-22, 7-31 to 7-36, 7-42 to 7-58 ▼Aug 1 – Mar 31 3
7-19 to 7-22, 7-31 to 7-36, 7-42 to 7-58 ▼Apr 1 - June 15 3

▼No closed season below 1100 m elevation.

Is this bait in any of the open MU's where there is no closed season??

If that is the case April 1st won't be an issue unless someone pops a bear off the bait.

rocksteady
03-15-2012, 12:46 PM
[QUOTE=Calamity;1112380]So it's perfectly legal for Joe Blow to have three dead adult cow carcasses, one dead horse and two dead calves dumped on an oil lease in Crown land.

QUOTE]

I do not believe it is legal to dump livestock carcasses on Crown land...

Like someone mentioned, call the CO's, let them do what they get paid to do...

Calamity
03-15-2012, 01:42 PM
I gave the CO's a head's up yesterday as I was curious myself about the legalities.

Buddy took the info I gave him and my contact number.

I haven't heard back from them so I'm guessing either it isn't a big deal or else they are on top of the situation.

It was just weird to come upon that much dead stock in the boonies. On the ranch we used to have a Boot Hill area where we drug the deads, but haven't seen anything like this on Crown.

03-15-2012, 01:45 PM
Well you did your part,,,, Bout all i can say is id stay away from it cuz its gonna stink!

Stone Sheep Steve
03-15-2012, 02:39 PM
[QUOTE=Calamity;1112380]So it's perfectly legal for Joe Blow to have three dead adult cow carcasses, one dead horse and two dead calves dumped on an oil lease in Crown land.

QUOTE]

I do not believe it is legal to dump livestock carcasses on Crown land...

Don't tell that to our local HBC trapper.
A livestock carcass becomes bait.

SSS

The Dawg
03-15-2012, 02:49 PM
Theres a spot on an FSR around here where a rancher drops his dead animals.

Seen horses, cows, etc there.

Attracts yotes and wolves for sure, never seen a bear near it though.

luckynuts
03-15-2012, 03:42 PM
Really i know of where the COs have piled up the dead animals and have dragged in a portble blind up here in John to help thin out the wolves. We always hunt the farmers caches of dead cows its always a sure bet to see a dog or 2. Not enough hunters out targeting wolves IMO. Was a bad year for wolves in the livestock up here.

W.

sheepsheen
03-15-2012, 04:04 PM
He is doing nothing illegal....end of story doesn't matter what your opinion is on volume of carcasses.....he could sit there all day and watch bears......doesn't matter as long as he isn't hunting them. Carcasses do not last long. Mother nature will take care of it.

2chodi
03-15-2012, 04:33 PM
I think disposing of a bunch of carcasses on an oilfield lease could be interpreted as being against the wildlife act (http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws_new/document/ID/freeside/00_96488_01#section33.1) and maybe the Ag act as well. (must be away from water sources etc.) Some interpretation required.

Note the definition of dangerous animals at the top of the wildlife act (http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws_new/document/ID/freeside/00_96488_01#section33.1). I think what it is saying is if you attract dangerous animals that might endanger an oilfield worker or the general public, you could be in trouble.

There has been a lot of discussion lately around things like leaving rotten apples on the ground in your backyard could be interpreted as being against the act by certain COs.

moosinaround
03-15-2012, 04:37 PM
Any chance we could see that picture with yer little pink toes in it next to the coyote track??;)....for scientific purposes only!! Moosin

sheepsheen
03-15-2012, 06:33 PM
This persons intent was to attract wolves and coyotes....not dangerous animals....call a game warden and ask them about the legalities of wolf baiting......done all over by hunters and trappers alike. I don't think this will invoke the Ag act.....the lease site may even be an an inactive site (Calamity never mentioned this). I would be very surprised if the wildlife act is invoked......honestly calamity should be stoked someone is reducing predators in his hunting area.

2chodi
03-15-2012, 06:41 PM
You might have noticed that I gave no judgement, while just pointing out how the act could be interpreted. I understand that it is not illegal to bait coyotes or wolves.

03-15-2012, 06:51 PM
My GOSH if you have to get rid of that much carnage I'd be looking for a burial style BAIT PIT on some ones ranch....... thats a ton of flesh to get rid of ........ that will be NASTY before long ...

Quite the line up of bait you have there though. Heck why not start a Wolf / Yote, FREE BAIT ...... come get er done sign ........ for predator hunters.

You'll shoot maybe a couple dogs off it before they get smart but you sure couldn't hunt over it in Bear season as SSS stated. That would be baiting.

Now go get some DOGS !

CT