PDA

View Full Version : What to do???

mark
10-22-2006, 10:17 PM
So guys i cought this nice buck on my t- cam, id just like to have a little input. What would you guys do???
1. wait and shoot him!
2. try to arrow him!
3. Let the girlfriend plug him!
4. Throw sticks at him so he doesnt eat all my apples and hope hes bigger next year! :lol:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/rear_view.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3457&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)rear view of him!

todbartell
10-22-2006, 10:21 PM
if a 160 class mulie is your goal, dump him

bigwhiteys
10-22-2006, 10:21 PM
Mark,

Awesome!!!

The deer in your avatar is bigger so I choose...

2, 3 or 4. Although I tried #4 last year only to have someone else come along and dump the buck after I passed him up for about the 10th time.

I soo want to get a trail cam now... You, Firebird and Ozone have me sold.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

mark
10-22-2006, 10:26 PM
good call FB, Thats what i figure him at also, 160ish

BCrams
10-22-2006, 10:29 PM
See if you can shoot him over your apples on the last day of bow season. :)

Caveman
10-22-2006, 10:32 PM
Yea, not overly heavy, just an nice fourpoint, unless it was the 9th or 10th of Dec. 2. Because I have never arrowed one. 3. But don't let my wife find out. I don't know about 4 though, you might want to encourage him to stick around until next year. There are plenty of apples out there.

Ddog
10-22-2006, 10:33 PM
i agree with a few, after seeing some of the hogs you have put down i wouldnt touch the thinhorn. however if i were in my treestand and he came walking to me, i would arrow him.

mark
10-22-2006, 10:35 PM
Easy there rambo, i just asked what everyone else would do? I wouldnt waste my 1 precious region 8 mulie tag on him, unlees it was near the end of bow season!

BlacktailStalker
10-22-2006, 10:36 PM
Nice buck! What camera do you use?

mark
10-22-2006, 10:39 PM
Bushnell trail sentry, (wallmart $180)
By the way theres a couple more pics of him in the gallery!

WoodOx
10-22-2006, 11:03 PM
Try and arrow him! I think hes a little light to go 160, but 150 if I had to guess.

Let the wife plug him if not!

WoodOx
10-22-2006, 11:12 PM
You know, looking at all those pics in the gallery, Id personally let him walk. Unless you want to get him mounted, or he is in a high traffic/heavily hunted area hell probably last untill next year, at which point he MAY get to the size of the one in your avatar. Which btw is a gorgeous buck (what did that one score?) Just my 2 cents - I passed a couple around the 160" size, but then again I shot a 145'' thinkin he was bigger lol!

Im tryin for those 160s with my bow, then mayb come late season ill get a firestick out ;D

Jagermeister
10-23-2006, 12:13 AM
#4 because that ain't no orchard, so the apples were placed there and that my friend is defined as baiting. And how do you like them apples?

NightOwl74
10-23-2006, 01:41 AM
Yes I agree with Jager. I mean, come on man give yourself a challenge. I came across a place while hunting where a guy dumped a few grocery bags of apples in region 8. Left the gutpile right beside the bags he left the apples in. Thanks for littering, what a moron. Will you feel cool about killing this guy that walks in front of you only because he's hungry?

Ozone
10-23-2006, 07:00 AM
How about #5 Let me dump him:lol: . Yes, 5 is my choice.

Thunderstix
10-23-2006, 07:13 AM
Since I have never shot a mulie it would be dead and I would be ecstatic!:smile:

mikek blacktail
10-23-2006, 07:18 AM
arrow him or let him go till next year when he's bigger good luck what ever you do

dana
10-23-2006, 07:23 AM
Let him walk dude. You ain't gonna kill a big 'un by taking care of the little 'uns.

Fisher-Dude
10-23-2006, 07:29 AM
I have the solution Mark. Take me to your apple pile and I'll drill him, and give ya some sausages. It's as easy as that! :lol:

huntermike
10-23-2006, 07:37 AM
I say baiting is illegal ,great for pics but no shootng!!!!!!!

Doe See Doe
10-23-2006, 07:39 AM
Depends, do you need meat or something to hang on the wall?

bighornbob
10-23-2006, 08:12 AM
Huntermike

Baiting is perfectly legal for deer. It is only illegal for bears and I think waterfowl. Some of the bird guys may know better.

BHB

mark
10-23-2006, 08:40 AM
As for those who think baiting is illegal, maybe you should take the core course again rookies! Its perfectly legal for deer! A challenge?? Night owl, like what? shoot one from the truck or in a alfalfa feild like 90% of the deer in bc are shot. Ive spent 2 years finding this spot where no-one else will, (steep ground, no quad trails) Ive been scrounging apples from orchards and backpacking them in this steep terrain. Ive got a $200 camera there and a blind built too. If i plug one there ill be backpacking him out also (up hill) Too sum this up, it will be the most work ive ever done to obtain a deer, and i will feel like i earned it! P.S.I only started this project to get a big whitey as i have no luck hunting them any other way! I got lots of spots for big mulies!

MattB
10-23-2006, 08:49 AM
Mark,
I say let him grow another year! If no one knows about this buck but you then next year he should be anywhere from 10-15" bigger and that much more a trophy! When me and my bro started finding big sheds in the 70-75" range we stayed out of the area until we thought the bucks would be 180" so we wouldnt be tempted to dump them. We then went in and i got my 183" muley the second time in there! Trust me its worth it to let them grow, and you'll have fun trying to pick up his sheds this spring!

GoatGuy
10-23-2006, 09:26 AM
You'll never get a whopper if you're shooting off the babies.

We 'manage' a couple of our spots and have minimum tine restrictions just for that reason. Exemptions are the new hunters and old hunters! :lol:

Fisher-Dude
10-23-2006, 09:39 AM
When are these "hunters" gonna read the regulations and understand what a spike-fork moose is, or that you can't bait bears or ducks, but deer can be hunted over bait?

A guy like Mark who knows the rules and who busts his hump for the game he gets shouldn't have to be spending his time defending himself to these know-it-alls who know dick-all. :mad:

lightmag
10-23-2006, 09:50 AM
shoot him!!

todbartell
10-23-2006, 10:14 AM
Id probably shoot him, but since you already got a monster buck a couple years ago, why not give him another year to build some antler mass, and hope you cross paths in 2007

Jagermeister
10-23-2006, 10:26 AM
I stand corrected, my aplogizes. However, how do you stop the bears from being attracted to the apples?

NEEHAMA
10-23-2006, 11:03 AM
i like him, nice and wide. i wonder how wide he is? it's the width that makes me pull the trigger. mark plug him and tell me how wide he was.:lol:

mark
10-23-2006, 11:10 AM
Maybe ill just hand a yard stick over the apple pile and hope the cam catches the right angle for ya to measure the width! My girlfriend is jonesin to plug him, so we might get close-ups sooner than later. I gotta go scrounge some more apples to feed my critters!

Elkhound
10-23-2006, 02:26 PM
Nice buck Mark. I would take him as thats the biggest mulie I would have taken. But, if you are looking for bigger. Let it be. If the area is that secluded from other hunters you have a chance at it.

If bears eat the apples you hiked in for deer so be it. You are not shooting bears over the apples so no worries.

Some of you guys need to stop jumping all over others posts without doing your homework. The guy was just posting a pic and wanted to know if people would take this deer or not. I am sure Mark had decided whether or not to shoot before he even asked. Just wanted to include others in opinions and wanted to know if we would shoot it:lol:

Will
10-23-2006, 02:53 PM
As suggested.............leave him be.
Go have another look next year !
Cool pics though, thanks for sharing them 8)

Rainwater
10-23-2006, 03:11 PM
I love that guy telling the story about his new record buck, "I held my breath and slowly moved into shooting position, I gently squeezed the trigger has the giant buck's head went into the beet bucket. Wow what a hunt.

mark
10-23-2006, 04:32 PM
Hey rainman, if you think for a second that this is a easy way of getting a big buck, i beg you to try it yourself and get back to me with your apology, as its a hell of alot of work!!! This is not a farm or ranch or anything, its crown land, and i run the risk of another hunter finding my spot too, and reaping the bennifits of my hard work!

Rainwater
10-23-2006, 04:45 PM
Hey I was just tellin' a story, only you will be able to judge your own actions, not us! That's the beauty of huntin'. No one telling us what level of morality we should have when we are out doing what we love. I backpack apples everytime I go huntin, I eat em though. In my Valley we don't want Mulies enjoying the taste of apples or apple trees. Hey it's a great photo and your havin' fun, carry on!

goathead
10-23-2006, 04:46 PM
Hey Mark thats a good pic.I think you should let him go for this year and see how he does.I hope nobody finds your spot. everyone who is on this site knows how hard you work for your game and hard work always pays off.

oldtimer
10-23-2006, 06:05 PM
Mark .. here is the plan. I will come down and visit the inlaws in coldstream and bring my bow and meet up with you and go out si I can whack him. Any buck with a bow is good and seeing as how the father in law won't let WillyQ or I take that big whitey on his farm I will help you with your problem deer. lol Mike

Hal
10-23-2006, 06:17 PM
Nice Animal, but you have time to see if his grandpa is around,use the time to your advantage!!

tooty
10-23-2006, 06:19 PM
If you are a trophy hunter ,pass.Meat hunter, kill the bugger and cook him up.He still has a nice rack to boot.

jackson13
10-23-2006, 06:24 PM
meat hunter or trophy hunter? that is the question!

Caveman
10-23-2006, 07:15 PM
Some of you guys need to stop jumping all over others posts without doing your homework. The guy was just posting a pic and wanted to know if people would take this deer or not. I am sure Mark had decided whether or not to shoot before he even asked. Just wanted to include others in opinions and wanted to know if we would shoot it
If Mark was going to shoot it I think we would be looking at a slightly different picture. Hold Out.

meat hunter or trophy hunter? that is the question!
As long as the freezer is full call me a trophy hunter if you wish. I'll leave the dinks for the meat hunters. 8-)

DropTines
10-23-2006, 07:33 PM
mark, I would probably say let him go, but how long do you have left in your season? would b nice to have a buck you could go get on the last 2 days or something
________
Halfbaked (http://half-baked.com)

Mini_Me
10-23-2006, 07:45 PM
That's a sweet buck i would say 2 & 3 and those other pics were really sweet. :)

NightOwl74
10-24-2006, 04:44 AM
Sorry man, it's like playing poker with marked cards to me. Yep you'll win, but will it feel good? Just giving my opinion. You asked what I'd do and I'm actually dissapointed most people would down a baited deer, even though it is legal. I think your pictures are awesome, they are nice big bucks. As for the "challenge" part of it...............how 'bout good ol' stillhunting and reading the signs given to you in the woods. The bottom line is whether the desired end result is the trophy, or the satisfaction of the experience. In my opinion I wouldn't have both if I plugged that buck.

Bigbuckadams
10-24-2006, 04:55 AM
Hold out for a bigger buck, 'til the last couple of days of the season anyway:lol: .

Stone Sheep Steve
10-24-2006, 05:15 AM
Once the muley bucks balls start making him think he might be on the move to find some does of his own kind. Unless they're muley does around he may leave.

The bears should leave your pile alone after Nov 1 or there abouts from what I've heard.

How do you think most of the Sask outfitted big whities are taken???:roll:

Mark-Does that camera come with a anti-theft mechanism??

SSS

mark
10-24-2006, 06:50 AM
Thanks for all the input guys! Like i said before, he might get an arrow by dec.9 or 10, but until then ill try for bigger!. SSS anti-theft, well it has a password you have to enter before it works, as well a little hole you can run a chain through and lock it if ya want! i just put it where 99.9 percent of hunters will never go, (that way if its stolen i know dana took it!)

boxhitch
10-24-2006, 07:38 AM
Mark-Does that camera come with a anti-theft mechanism??

SSS
Sure. anyone who baits animals MUST have leg-hold traps and snares, (both non-descriminent) or pit traps, and probably a nearby alter for the rituals !!:roll:
Thanks for the photos Mark. That looks like good entertaining fun. Whack em, when and how ever.

Fisher-Dude
10-24-2006, 07:39 AM
i just put it where 99.9 percent of hunters will never go, (that way if its stolen i know dana took it!)

Dana won't steal it 'cause he doesn't use high-tech stuff like trail cameras and quads. He prefers to watch the deer personally and chisel pictures of them on stone tablets. :rolleyes: :wink:

huntermike
10-24-2006, 08:01 AM
I also stand corrected,but dont be so sensetive,I'm going apple picking today ,deer hunting on sunday,haha (I would whack him).

Elkhound
10-24-2006, 10:02 AM
Dana won't steal it 'cause he doesn't use high-tech stuff like trail cameras and quads. He prefers to watch the deer personally and chisel pictures of them on stone tablets. :rolleyes: :wink:

:lol: Sorry Dana but that was freakin hilarious:lol: LMAO

Stone Sheep Steve
10-24-2006, 10:03 AM
I think I recall Dana using one over an alpine lick? (or at least wanting to)

SSS

mark
10-24-2006, 11:05 AM
I second that elkhound! Im laughing my ass off, and cant stop!

Stone Sheep Steve
10-24-2006, 11:26 AM
I second that elkhound! Im laughing my ass off, and cant stop!
Laughed so hard you almost fell off your quad!! :lol: Almost...................

SSS

The Hermit
10-24-2006, 11:51 AM
You guys are all too late... I have already shot him five times, then arrowed him, and whacked him wiht my patatoe gun. now if only my imagination would feed me! ;-)

NEEHAMA
10-24-2006, 12:34 PM
POTATOE GUN!.... i think you may be onto something here!

dana
10-24-2006, 06:20 PM
Mark,
I tried using a trail cam last summer in the alpine on a natural mineral lick. Got one roll of film with a little 2 point muley and then the camera had some serious issues and basically ate my next roll. I couldn't get the roll out without forcing it which then basically broke the film feed. Thinking of replacing the camera with a digital but it really hasn't been on my priority list. No doubt it takes some serious practice getting the camera set up right.

mark
10-24-2006, 06:36 PM
on the contrary my digital was very easy to use
and set up.

browningboy
10-24-2006, 06:42 PM
Put some more apples on the ground, sit in a tree stand above the spot, when he comes walking in, jump on his back and take him for a ride! YEEEEE HAAAWWWWW!! PLug him as a last resort.:twisted:

DropTines
10-24-2006, 09:24 PM
Mark, wait around for the rut, there could be one bigger then he is in the area?
Do you see lots of does in this area?
Nice spot man!
________
Ferrari 330 (http://www.ferrari-wiki.com/wiki/Ferrari_330)

mark
10-24-2006, 09:33 PM
Tons of whitey does, havnt seen a muley doe yet! Lots do move in the area in nov. though! Im gonna wait till the cam sees a hawg worth shooting before i even go sit in the blind.

Deerwhacker
10-24-2006, 10:07 PM
id get into the blind as soon as posoble as soon as i saw the picks,then i wouldent rest untill i had him at the butcher.

TravisC
10-25-2006, 08:20 PM
hey marc you could maybe give him up to me since im taking the wife up to try and bag her, her first deer hehehe

eastkoot
10-25-2006, 08:41 PM
Take your apples out of the bush and do it the right way..I can feed bigger bucks in my backyard if I buy the apples!!

stixnstones
10-26-2006, 09:49 AM
got to love the trail cam. take him at the end of the season who knows he may have bigger friends. goodluck.

brotherjack
10-26-2006, 10:52 AM
I am really curious what the reason some of you would have to think hunting over a pile of apples is some kind of horrible sin? Nobody is bashing Dana for hunting over a natural mineral lick - what is the practical difference in that and a pile of apples? Or for instance, a water hole as several of my favourite spots to hunt are? It's simply a point on planet earth where you know animals will be attracted - why is there some big concern of what the attractant is? Wherever and whenever you hunt, you have to hunt someplace where there are animals - and all of those places feature an attractant of some form. Why does it matter what that attractant is?

PM me if you want - no need to hijack the thread - I'm just honestly curious.

Thanks,

Franko Manini
10-26-2006, 11:00 AM
Boom... flop... burp.

Rainwater
10-26-2006, 06:07 PM
Hey Brother Jack, As I said in a previous post the decision is really up to the shooter. If he is happy shootin a deer with his head in a beet bucket then I guess your God will sort that out won't he. So I'm gonna go out on a limb (never done that before) and say that spreadin out things that are unnatural is probably not really operating under the fair chase theory. If your hunting ducks in a cornfield that's a little different then spreading out grain on a deer trail with the nearest grain field 500 miles away. It may even have an impact on a deers routine causing him some grief, or indigestion. I would suggest that if it keeps up you will see reg's changed to make this activity against the law. Keep it real boys.

dana
10-26-2006, 07:29 PM
Brother Jack,
I never said I was hunting over a natural mineral lick. I have no patience sitting a stand. I'm lucky if I can last 30 mins. In the alpine I can sit all day behind the glass cause I can look over a ton of country. Never was my intention to sit the lick. I got the trailcam so I could take pics. The mineral lick always has monster tracks on it. I can glass the lick from well over 2 kms away and have never seen a critter use it. Thought maybe I could get some night pics is all. Didn't work out for me. Probably why I haven't really pursued getting another camera.
As for setting out bait like Mark, that ain't my cup of tea. I'm a spot and stalk or sneak and peek hunter. The idea of packing apples in and killing a buck off of it is not too appealing to me. But that's me. If Mark wants to drop the small dink that he has pics of, more power to him.

brotherjack
10-26-2006, 09:16 PM
Dana - sorry if I took the comments re trail cam + mineral lick to = setting up and waiting over a natural attractant.

But still - my point remains - why is there somehow difference between shooting a buck with his head down munching an apple vs having his head down having a drink at the water hole vs having his head down licking a mineral lick or even vs having his head down sniffing around for that horny doe that left the pee that in reality some hunter slathered around his stand site vs whatever else might attract a deer to someplace one might put a bullet/arrow/whatever in him? I fail to see any significant difference in any of the above mentioned scenarios - and seeing no difference, I don't see why one is 'fair chase' and the other is not. I'm honestly asking someone to explain it to me - for if perhaps I have missed something significant, I will give some further consideration to my opinion, and if the evidence is weighty enough, perhaps even change it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in favour of unethical hunting in any way (at least not in my opinion). To be honest, I've never bothered to put out apples or any other kind of bait, because I know where some nice watering holes are which have the identical effect - to attract deer to where I'm sitting and waiting for a nice one to show up (unlike Dana, I am more than lazy enough to be able to sit dead still - breathe slow, blink slow, don't twitch - for hours on end) :)

NightOwl74
10-27-2006, 03:15 AM
You jumbled a whole bunch of senarios around there. A water hole(puddle) is a natural occurrence, and a pile of ripe fragrant apples in a pine forest isn't, so how can you compare the two? This is what Rain is talkin about. Using Doe urine to attract a buck is acceptable to me because this is something that naturally occurs IN THE AREA THE DEER ARE. All we are doing as a hunter is placing the piss rag somewhere to create a naturally appealing set up. The bonus is you can target bucks specifically, and you aren't screwing up the animals natural eating habits. What happened to morality? No wonder people cringe when i tell them I shot a buck this year. I'm a hunter and I think this baiting sh** sucks, what would the average joe who got wind of this story think? If there are any CO's that read these forums, I'd love to hear his opinions out of curiosity.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-27-2006, 05:08 AM
It's definitely legal in BC and Sask but illegal in ALberta. My cup of tea?? Proabably not. If you look in the Sask regs there are many rules associated with baiting. You have to have your name near your bait station and have to remove the bait after the season by a certain date. MUCH more popular in Sask.
As long as it's legal I don't judge what other people do. Each deer taken by a hunter means different things to THAT hunter and that's all that's important IMHO.

SSS

dana
10-27-2006, 07:11 AM
It is interesting that BC allows baiting of deer yet doesn't allow baiting of bears. I believe we are one of the only provinces that doesn't allow bear baiting. Most states allow it as well. Definately not my cup of tea, but what's up with the desparity between bears and deer. One can try the fair chase aguement, but really that only goes so far. I have Yank friends that bait and they actually work their asses off more than I do to get their bears.

boxhitch
10-27-2006, 07:37 AM
Probably because bear-baiting is a common, broad-ranging, practice accepted in many areas (BC has chosen to not allow it. Yahoo !) Baiting for other wildlife, like deer, is a little used tactic that shouldn't be enough of an issue to blow anyones skirt up, well, until the inception of internet chat, I guess.

dana
10-27-2006, 07:45 AM
Deer Baiting is a little used tactic????? Wake up man. The Yanks have automatic corn flingers, deer cocaine, mossyoak biologic, food plots ect... It is a big time practice. I see no difference in baiting deer and baiting bears. How are we more ethically superior in BC because we don't allow bear baiting but we allow deer baiting?????

boxhitch
10-27-2006, 08:41 AM
. The Yanks have automatic corn flingers, deer cocaine, mossyoak biologic, food plots ect... It is a big time practice.
So?????? How can you compare what goes on in the Eastern States to what goes on out west or in Canada ? Wholesale sells bait dispensers, I bet not many. I don't think it is common in BC.

boxhitch
10-27-2006, 08:43 AM
How are we more ethically superior in BC because we don't allow bear baiting but we allow deer baiting?????
My point was that it is not enough of an issue in BC to have come up on the radar.

mark
10-27-2006, 09:18 AM
If anyone is wondering, i have never tried this before! I met a guy who consistently shoots big whiteys every year, and he told me this is the best way, as well i know guides do this often! Whitetales elude me, i have no luck with them so i thought id try it. I picked the spot specificly for whiteys and 99% of the pics are whiteys. To tell ya the truth, i have no patience for stand hunting either, but if my cam takes a pic of a hawg i know im not wasting my time hunting that area! I have no problem finding big mulies but if i do plug one over the bait pile, i will feel like i earned it and deserve it! P.S. okanagan deer are no stranger to eating apples, so i dont feel like im upsetting any balance of nature here.

GoatGuy
10-27-2006, 09:21 AM
[quote=mark To tell ya the truth, i have no patience for stand hunting either, but if my cam takes a pic of a hawg i know im not wasting my time hunting that area! [/quote]

:-D :-D :-D ........

Fisher-Dude
10-27-2006, 09:46 AM
Maybe we need to bait some bears!

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/article_3454.php

troutseeker
10-27-2006, 12:01 PM
I say let the girlfriend shoot him. It's a nice buck, she'll be ecstatic and the hunting bug will bite her even more. Sharing the same same activities makes for a lasting relationship.

Troutseeker

Stone Sheep Steve
10-27-2006, 01:17 PM
Sharing the same same activities makes for a lasting relationship.
Troutseeker

Not in my house................................:roll:

SSS

Fisher-Dude
10-27-2006, 01:51 PM
Not in my house................................:roll:

SSS

Burping and farting doesn't really count as "shared activities" SSS. :wink:

NightOwl74
10-27-2006, 02:28 PM
yeah I have heard of these food plots you can get. Basically you can plant yourself a field of tasty clover...........hmm I wonder if that stuff would grow round here lol. And wait for em to come runnin.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-27-2006, 03:19 PM
Burping and farting doesn't really count as "shared activities" SSS. :wink:
F/D- When did you meet my wife??:confused:

SSS

elkster
10-27-2006, 08:26 PM
Mark,
Very nice pics!! If it was me I'd shoot him, But if I was you, I'd let him grow. He'd look good on a spit with one of those apples in his mouth :)

tooty
10-27-2006, 08:36 PM
Do you think he is the dominant buck?Are the smaller bucks getting out of his way real quick.If not there might be a bigger one hanging around the corner some where.Food for thought.Sorry to mess with your head even more.

mrdoog
10-27-2006, 09:33 PM
Bang him.
He's a decent buck, he'll eat well.
As far as record genes, he's stupid.
He keened on the apples and missed your scent on the camera.
Besides he's probably already spread his genes earlier in the season.
Anyone who has studied reproduction knows that if he was destined to have monster buck sons, the seeds were spread during his first and subsequent matings.
I'm hoping the does that whelped his sires know enough to keep them away from apples,and the beaten path in general.
As far as mentioning having your female partner dispatch him, in lieu of yourself, good golly, my wife would be pissed if I told her to shoot something because I thought it was beneath me.